Brighton & Hove City Council

Brighton & Hove City Council Employee Reviews in Brighton

Brighton36 reviews
if you have good team life is very good
if you get a bad team life gets stressful and you leave or transfer to another team

also the manager determines how the team deals with new faces
Pros
unlikely to get fired unless you do something very wrong
Cons
everyone above you is related to each other
A great place to work. If one wishes to serve the fine people of Brighton and Hove then this is the place to be. Flexible working, generous holiday allowance and excellent pension scheme.
Management is allover the place
Teams are not easy to get on with

Relaxed and understanding

managers will override one another so 1 task can change many times over
They are supportive, and pretty flexible. Projects tick along quite nicely. Slightly slowly, but that is expected at a council office. Hot desking is a bit of a pain.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Take on vast complex projects, not resourced to proceed.
Worked within HR and Resources for 8 years. Fantastic connections and support with other colleagues. I had supportive line management (although not everyone experiences this). Workload was very varied and interesting to me. Felt like I was giving back to a city I love. Slow at progression opportunities though.
As a Canvasser I work alone, knocking on doors to establish residence and to ensure voters are aware of the rights and responsibilities of registering to vote according to eligibility. I get paid for every property I establish residency and eligibility. As a Poll Clerk I work in a team to ensure that voting is efficient and fair, in accordance with legal requirements. We are a well-organised team, who have worked together over several elections now in a very busy station, possibly the busiest in Brighton and have established a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
I only began my training before I opted to leave after a month. It was very productive and fast paced. I received great training and had good advice from the team around me.
A workplace with different cultures depending where you work There is no consistency in the working culture throughout the organisation Some departments are very formal and structured You could walk along the corridor to another team where staff are wearing shorts and flip flops and a happy relaxed atmosphere Everyone will have a different experience working at Brighton at JJive So it is difficult to give my experience, as this might mislead a potential employee
I work predominantly in the laundry,I learned to resolve problems in the work place, get on well with the management,the best part of the job to be , keep a smile on the residents faces
I worked for B+H council for 13 years.It was a great place to work.The council is better than most in looking after its residents and staff.
Hard work but very worthwhile.Job satisfaction high.
Pros
Great work colleagues
Cons
Workload high and unrelenting
There are several council offices around Brighton & Hove. This particular office had a fun, friendly, and welcoming culture. I learned to expect the unexpected and always keep my wits about regarding the type of customers that came in.
Pros
Fun office culture.
Cons
As receptionist, can be isolating at times.
Started off loving the job, before cuts revealed a bullying, cliquey, team, and blame culture management. No promotion or recognition unless you do it the coucil way or your manager likes you. Not good with disabled, BME, LGBT, etc. Glad to leave.
Overall good employer and very hard working staff. Lots of fixed term contracts due to financial constraints. Hot desking does not suit everyone so be prepared to move around.
Government costs have caused lots of changes and redundancies. Good place to work with supportive management and good training opertunities. Choice of locations to work from and mo lie working
Pros
Mobile working
I enjoyed my time there as a Health Trainer. It was a great place to work and very vibrant place. Perks included flexible working and al training days.
Pros
Close to shops.
Cons
Very busy office environment.
hours were long & unsocialable,pay was good,work was interesting & varied.there were four different departments childrens,music,general & reference...
preparing for the day ahead,
making sure the first aid equipment for each of the 32 lifeguards is correct

ensuing the public are safe and following all by-laws
Pros
great mentors
Cons
rains alot in england
The project is a great cause which gives a lot of motivation.
We've been well trained by our manager who is a great professional.

It has been hard to embrace some of the clients complains and rewarding to help others.
Pros
Physical activity
Cons
it's temporary
This was for Cityclean who deal with Brighton and Hove's bins, in the time working there, the road crew went on strike and management was under strain, and much of the time left to our own devices, I learnt fast, but this was only temp.
Pros
Steady hours, i learnt fast.
Cons
Management, non existant.
Having never worked for a local authority, it's a bit of a shock to the system initially. There are a lot of rules and guidelines. The team of people are amazing; all so friendly and kind, and very hardworking. The job itself doesn't really have progression, and I think there's a high turnover of staff because of this (it's essentially just an admin role).
Pros
People are lovely
Cons
No free coffee or tea!
First trained on systems and one to one help given learnt how to calculate payroll for Council employees and vetted, in time for payroll deadline, trainers very methodical and understanding. Once mastered the work left to carry out the work but could always ask for help.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Plenty of work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brighton & Hove City Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Brighton & Hove City Council Reviews by Location