Brighton & Hove City Council Employee Reviews

Great, if you play the game
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton25 January 2019
Started off loving the job, before cuts revealed a bullying, cliquey, team, and blame culture management. No promotion or recognition unless you do it the coucil way or your manager likes you. Not good with disabled, BME, LGBT, etc. Glad to leave.
Good employer
HR Officer (Current Employee) –  Brighton12 January 2019
Overall good employer and very hard working staff. Lots of fixed term contracts due to financial constraints. Hot desking does not suit everyone so be prepared to move around.
Inclusive working environment
Animal warden (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex13 December 2018
Government costs have caused lots of changes and redundancies. Good place to work with supportive management and good training opertunities. Choice of locations to work from and mo lie working
Pros
Mobile working
always caring for others
Brighton and Hove city council (Former Employee) –  Hove10 December 2018
Good team work, supporting each other, appropriate trainings maintane up to date. Professional attitute. Good management, clients were able to attend their day centers, to enjoy social life by attending outings and be a part of community, I have enjoyed to give the cliens a confidance to live as quiity life as possible and be looked after to meet there daily needs. I have work in Health and social care since 2004, looking after elderly, children and adults with learning dissabilites. I have attended 1st aid course, health and safety, food hygine, manual handeling, and done |NVQ 3 in health and social care.
Pros
free dinners with the clients
Cons
sometimes long hours
Good and friendly place to wok
Health Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex20 October 2018
I enjoyed my time there as a Health Trainer. It was a great place to work and very vibrant place. Perks included flexible working and al training days.
Pros
Close to shops.
Cons
Very busy office environment.
lot of diversity
library assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex21 August 2018
hours were long & unsocialable,pay was good,work was interesting & varied.there were four different departments childrens,music,general & reference...
Friendly atmosphere, nice colleagues, nice customers
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex21 August 2018
Friendly atmosphere, some committed and motivating members of staff, good manager, decent work/life balance, pension scheme, opportunities for promotion/ development.
Pros
Free use of gym and facilities
Cons
Anti-social hours, late finishes.
Great job
Seafront officer co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Brighton30 June 2018
preparing for the day ahead,
making sure the first aid equipment for each of the 32 lifeguards is correct
ensuing the public are safe and following all by-laws
Pros
great mentors
Cons
rains alot in england
Productive, Educational and, Fun
Travel Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton15 June 2018
The project is a great cause which gives a lot of motivation.
We've been well trained by our manager who is a great professional.
It has been hard to embrace some of the clients complains and rewarding to help others.
Pros
Physical activity
Cons
it's temporary
Team
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Eastergate road, housing office29 April 2018
Fair place to work , special care however should be taken not too upset anyone as it is an extremely claustrophobic environment. Every care is taken to ensure you are given the correct training especially for equality and diversity then various people come up to you and tell you a racist joke. Every care is taken to ensure there is no abuse if public money, then you see people go hone at 2pm pretending they are out on call until 5pm everyday!
Much care us taken regarding posture and seating , I got my own new chair, then it was taken from me passive aggressively.

I could handle it but most couldn't.
Pros
Safety
Cons
Poor facilities
what you learned
Waitress (Former Employee) –  wolfies of hove7 April 2018
How to cope and deal with new problems that are thrown my way during a standard day at work and how to resolve them effectively and in a caring manor that is convienient for everyone involved.
friendly staff
ICT Mobile / Android / IPhone Technical Support (Current Employee) –  phones, UK19 March 2018
good place to gain experience, meet people and flex work environment, great location, hey organise parties, excursions where you get to eat/drink for free and have a good time. The co-workers are very good and helpful.
Pros
flex holidays
Cons
Na
Self motivated and taught, in temp possition.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex3 February 2018
This was for Cityclean who deal with Brighton and Hove's bins, in the time working there, the road crew went on strike and management was under strain, and much of the time left to our own devices, I learnt fast, but this was only temp.
Pros
Steady hours, i learnt fast.
Cons
Management, non existant.
Average working day
Personal Carer (Former Employee) –  Hove, East Sussex1 February 2018
The job entailed doing a morning visit and an early evening visit. I would normally arrive for the first visit at 9:00 after cycling for 2 miles.
Once I arrived I would help him out of Bed and make him breakfast. During the morning visits I would normally make his medication, clean the flat, change his bedding, help him send any mail he needed to his adopted family in India, checking blood pressure and blood sugar. Evening visits would normally involve making him dinner and keeping him company.
Pros
Rewarding experience
Cons
Working everyday
Wonderful people
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Brighton17 January 2018
Having never worked for a local authority, it's a bit of a shock to the system initially. There are a lot of rules and guidelines. The team of people are amazing; all so friendly and kind, and very hardworking. The job itself doesn't really have progression, and I think there's a high turnover of staff because of this (it's essentially just an admin role).
Pros
People are lovely
Cons
No free coffee or tea!
Productive workplace
Nursery Practitioner Bank Staff (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove17 September 2017
A typical work day would consist of ensuring the children's safety and well being was met. Whilst they blissfully played and started to learn about the world around them.
I was able to be part of a team,whilst learning how to manage my time productively so everything ran with success.
The workplace culture was busy and productive which was sometimes tiring however I really enjoyed seeing a child feel happy, safe and comfortable in their play setting.
Pros
resources for children
Cons
walking up the hill
Productive and staff very helpful and well trained.
HR and Payroll Officer (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex6 September 2017
First trained on systems and one to one help given learnt how to calculate payroll for Council employees and vetted, in time for payroll deadline, trainers very methodical and understanding. Once mastered the work left to carry out the work but could always ask for help.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Plenty of work
Rewarding
Class Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 July 2017
The time spent working in a Brighton school was most enjoyable. There was a supportive staff and the parents and children were a joy to be with.
Although the paper work was time consuming there was a lot of job satisfaction.
Pros
Satisfaction of watching achievement of pupils.
Cons
Paper work
Good organisation with dedicated staff
Early Help Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex2 June 2017
I enjoyed working for local authority for over 10 years. I worked alongside a lot of dedicated and enthusiastic staff who wanted to provide excellent service to residents. My line management was excellent, communicated well and was very supportive. I worked within a busy, confidential and deadline driven environment.
Pros
Felt like I made a difference and was appreciated
Cons
Budget and resource pressures
Great place to work, poorly run
Crematorium technician (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex2 June 2017
Woodvale is an amazing place to work and you meet lots of friendly people along the way. Only downside is limited resources and know appreciation from managers
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Long hours, no help from managers