Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Employee Reviews

United Kingdom279 reviews
Featured review
Bright Horizons Family Solutions selected this as a representative review
Enthusatic, creative and passionate company
The Bright horizons culture, vision and overall mission is infectious. If you are a driven and ambitious practitioner that is searching for a long standing career within the childcare sector I believe you should choose a Bright horizons nursery.
I have worked for the company since 2010; I started as a NN and I am now in a senior leadership position. The culture of the company is fun, pro-active, supportive and they strive for every nursery to represent their vision at all times. Training is available regularly and they offer a wealth of employee appreciation incentives and development programmes. Every year "every" employee; despite your position is invited to a fully paid awards ceremony and every 2 years all managers and above attend a 3 day leadership conference. The company certainly does focus on building occupancy in every nursery, however there is a high reinvestment back to the nurseries to ensure the quality of childcare is outstanding.
No work life balance take more than they give
I was promised an assistant when I started, but no assistant was ever employed. I was in fact doing the work of two people and was mostly isolated all day. It also never got a break or a lunch hour.
The knock on effect was that the rate of pay became less because the working hours were much more than advertised. I was expected to do all paper work unpaid at home, as well as company online courses, which came thick and fast on a daily basis.

There was absolutely no work life balance.

The company high standards where expected to be maintained at all times. Except If I had a day off, or had to go on a company course. There was nobody to takeover the kitchen, it was covered by management and various staff members. The kitchen was always left in a poor condition, something I would have been disciplined for.

It could have been a really nice job spoilt by mismanagement and company greed.
Worst company I have worked for
Bright horizons is overrated. I worked for them and I had the worst experience in my whole career. They deem bullying, discrimination and emotional abuse by clients and colleagues as normal.
Pros
Cons
Worst experience of my life
Worst company to work for
Bright Horizons as a company are dreadful to work for. The amount of paperwork is terrible and all they are interested in is targets and making money they are not interested in the welfare of staff or children
Pros
Cons
They don’t pay you for a lot of extra hours worked you end up being on less than minimum wage
Awful
I worked within the nursery when it was owned by Asquith and I have to say it was the worst mistake selling to Bright Horizons, the company is awful to work for! They do not care about the children, families or the staff, they just see everyone as a number and money in their pockets, they expect too much from the staff and are happy for staff to be out of ratio as long as members of staff are within the nursery. They do not appreciate their staff and standards of care for the children are not good ,opportunities for the children learning are not good as they do not put money into the nursery. As for pay, minimum wage is all you get despite what they advertise on here. I completed a degree whilst working for them and was told I would not be paid any more but could use my degree to go into management which is not what I wanted to do. I love the children but with this company could not provide them with the care and education they deserve.
Good apparently, very bad reality
The company makes an offer that it’s look interesting but neither values nor management they sell is fitting with reality and even that treatment very unfairly

Definitely I will change it ASAP
I have worked at this nursery for a while and they made sure I was suitable for the job first, then watched me interact with the children. Now I keep up with my training and enjoy working there when I am home from university.
excellent training for staff
ok and productive. rewarding and fun. work place culture is good. excellent career progression and training from the company. Overall, its a great place to work and get a lot of experience in ECEC.
Pros
excellent training
Cons
management and long hours
Long hours but relaxed environment
The hours are long and shift work meant that anyone who started early would never leave on time because we would be understaffed otherwise. There was a real “don’t call in sick culture” due to this and that was uncomfortable to work amongst.
The workplace itself was relaxed when you were there, parents and most colleagues were nice to work with.
Terrible management
Never worked for such selfish managers in all my years of working.Don't listen to any concerns or ideas you have.If short staffed they don't help moan when holidays are booked but make sure they have there's booked in. Worst company ever.
Lovely staff and management
Amazing nursery set in a old victorian house.Everyone appears so helpful and friendly snd kind to one and other and is a great place to work and everyone who works there truely cares for the babies and children .
Great company to work for!
I have worked for BH for many years. I have had some good Managers and some not-so-good Managers. It does get hard to advance within the company the higher you go, obviously. If you can get a good Manager you will have fun and learn a lot.There are lots of benefits available for employees and they pay a fair salary. Staffing will always be a problem in this industry but BH do tend to push FTEs over staffing.
Fantastic
Been here for 13 years and started as a nursery nurse and worked my way up. Great place to work, lots of training available and progression throughout. They Appreciate me and have lots of benefits!! Feel part of a big family. Have amazing programs for children to learn and develop. Children are at the centre of what we all do!!
Awful running/managment of this nursery
Do not recommend this nursery stay away! Stress not worth it or pay. Its all about Policies procedures obs, big chain nursery needs a referb/ filling spaces before a child has settled in/ Short staffed /high turnover/dictated to. Some staff get promotions who have been in the setting for a short time.

Who would want that stress?!
Terrible
If your gay don’t work for this company terrible experience left after six months Issues are not dealt with and management are not professional and show favourites
Sometime over stressfull
Sometime management could be reviewed, worked with a few "bad" managers that could do with working on their people skills.

overall the company is good to work for
Awful
Worked here for a year and it was really bad, the manager just bully’s you and expects a lot and some staff are favourites so do nothing and are treated really well but others are basically ignored and moaned at all the time - your never good enough
10 years service
Worked for BH for 10 whole years! Wonderful company and wonderful principles. HEART always
I started in 2006 before they expanded and I feel they lost their sight slowly but surely. We had the best region, best managers, best passion, best energy, best nurseries but they got too big and I feel becoming a household brand took over the child centred approach! But overall a wonderful company
Not happy
It was hard to work there. It was always stressful, my room leaders treated me like rubbish and management was worse. I loved the children but I hated the environment. Many of my former colleagues left for similar reasons.
Not terrible but not amazing
Great ideas, too many positions in the support offices changing things constantly which end up in a mess. Lots of meetings about meetings and more meetings with no results at ground level. Shame because they have the right idea and seem to genuinely want to be excellent as a nursery group but just don't have the core management to implement the most basic of structures.
Sensational teamwork and good ethics
An amazing Nursery everyone worked well together and it was well managed and fun. As a Nursery it had undergone a big change when we moved sites but this was only a good point.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bright Horizons Family Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.