Bridgend County Borough Council

Bridgend County Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom62 reviews
Loved working for BCBC. Very friendly team and excellent support network when required.
As with many jobs the pay could always be better, however my love of the job was enough for me.
This place is run like an underground organisation management are corrupt & if you're face don't fit you've got no chance,half the work force are just on a jolly most days.95% of workforce are tossers who think their important the other 5% are used & abused. Accidents are rife. No wonder the borough is in such a mess with this motley crew.
Pros
Cons
Getting injuries & stress
I worked in a busy area of HR. Lots of colleagues were struggling and ended up on sick leave. When I went on sick leave, despite numerous attempts to ask for help, I was forced to come back to work and made to feel guilty by management. All they care about is bums on seats, they don't care about you as a person!
Good, but development investment was not very good and its a slow moving environment generally due to the amount of red tape involved. Threat of redundancy always around the corner. However the people were great, very flexible. Great as a working mum. The public can be aggressive and uncompromising to staff.
I was employed as an Agency Driver and despite having a H.g.v licence I was used.Dumped with one weeks notice only Because they wanted experienced ground workers.i busted my backside doing heavy manual work overlooked for overtime,winter maintenance work,and emergency call out rotas totally disgusted with the way I was treated.management haven't got

whatwhat they are
Meeting people every day Issuing and dealing with Stores problems was challenging. But when the results come your way its very satisfying. I enjoyed working in the Stores and talking with different companies.
Covers a broad range of administration task ensuring that the correct procedures are followed

I particularly enjoy working in the finance aspect of the role.
Supporting disadvantaged children throughout schools. Those with ASD, processing delays, disabilities, visual and hearing impairments, attachment disorders, mental health problems. Great training and development opportunities. I have been sent on many courses including Team Teach and Behavioural training courses, specialist visual impairment training and Connect 12 visual computer and camera training. Have learnt and developed many strategies from working with disadvantaged children to provide inclusion and a holistic learning experience.

Patience, empathy and resilience are key factors for this job as it can sometimes be a repetitive struggle if working with the same difficult child, but the rewards are ten-fold when you see the difference you have made to that child and the achievements they have made through support.
Pros
Excellent training available
Cons
Can be challenging
My role has changed and the families I now work with are highly complex and the role of a family support worker is now more dangerous due to the complexity of the families.
I am a family support worker not a social worker.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
High complex needs families
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bridgend County Borough Council?
just nice to go in and see all the children having fun with their friends. Hardest part is where you have to deal with an upset child. The enjoyable bit is where they chat to you and ask for help with their hair to tying up their laces and using their manners. Staff are fab.
Pros
during school hours
The flexible hours system is one of the best benefits in this employment, however no opportunity for paid overtime.
Management are good in terms of accepting annual leave, and are understanding if needing time off for doctors appointments etc.

Pay could be better, however as it is a civil service job it is public money so understand the lower wage compared to private companies.

The opportunity to further education/training is very good.
Worked for bcbc for 18yrs always loved my job working as a carer in the community very rewarding, but feel as the years have gone on lot as changed and not for the better regarding the dos and donts in workplace i feel the care side as gone out the window.also no support by management in many issues.
A lovely school but very challenging, with great children and some amazing parents.
The school as always been very supportive with a fantastic team of staff.
Pros
Enjoy working with the children and their families
Cons
Poor paye with the role and responsibilities you have.
my job entailed providing care to adults with profound learning difficulties in a residential home. My job carries a lot of responsibility as I administer medication and also have financial responsibilities ( Petty cash, budgets, pocket money). I also have experience working within the various day centres around the county, again providing care and working with the community. This job has given me the opportunity to complete many courses, including manual handling, boots care of medication, which has deemed me competent to administer medication. I would consider myself to have the ability to use my initiative in order to deal with stressful or challenging situations.
Lovely team at the time and good team spirit . Workloads can be very top heavy. Team manager was a huge support and inspiration . Salary and lack of opportunity to advance in the post forced aa change in job.
Pros
Team well led nice work environment
Cons
Large workloads low salary
Very rewarding, helping vunerable adults with support in the community.. Promote independence, maintain service users dignity, administer medication daily, keep accurate daily recordings on each service user
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Very challenging
Productive and great to work outdoors, able to work unsupervised and the on/off job training is very good, your own ability is allowed on time to shine through
BCBC expect a high quality of work, but in return they actively support a work life balance and encourage on going training and development in order for an individual to progress within their career.
Pros
Training and development
Worked in a supportive team.
Work culture on times could be testing; sometimes the need for consistent change would affect the team

The team were always friendly, approachable and enthusiastic

Changes were always happening; had to have a flexible approach to work
Pros
Being part of a good team
Cons
Pressurised on times
I thoroughly enjoyed my job here however, I did have a few issues with the manager changing my rota without informing me, and having 3 children this often made life difficult. I also worked above my hours on a weekly basis to cover staff shortages and didn't really get any appreciation for it. As for the job itself. Very rewarding, and the residents always managed to make me smile, and leave work feeling as though i'd made a difference.
Very poor pay compared to other councils, management is extremely poor, shift pattern is laughable, favouritism of staff is an understatement, would never work in this department again.
Pros
Cons
Moral and treatment