Brewhouse and Kitchen Employee Reviews

avoid brewhouse cardiff
Cellar Hand (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff29 September 2019
disgusting arrogant company ,management a total disgrace never reply to emails, an easy job made harder by fools who think they know better.people with no experience working in cellar cant organise stock change keg total shambles,management couldn’t care less. they advertise a job on indeed and never reply to people..disgusting place and people .
Productive place with a friendly and fun atmosphere
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southbourne20 July 2019
I have done work experience at B&K for a week with my school.
I have absolutely loved it there, staff was really friendly and supportive aswell as patient with me as it was my first experience of what working is like.
Pros
Friendly stuff
Welcoming team
Front of House Staff / Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Horsham18 July 2019
The team here became really close to me, it's like one big family. Working with most of you has been a pleasure, though the hour reductions lately meant that when you do work, you can often be overloaded, and other days sent home early. Sometimes little issues can be blown out of proportion here, but then it's a very unpredicatable workplace. When its steady on the business scale this place will make you proud to be a part of the team. It can really be a buzz working alongside the team. If unpredicatble days aren't an issue to you, you will have loads of fun here. You also get to enjoy brewery experience days and sitting around with a pint at the end of a long shift with the lovely and welcoming staff.
Pros
Welcoming team
Cons
Unpredicatble hours and sometimes a little too tight on perks and rules.
A mixed bag!
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London25 June 2019
Positives:

-Free staff food
-Above the minimum wage
-Management apprenticeship scheme - hard work and talent is recognised and rewarded in this way
-Thorough training (we had a full 2 weeks before opening, paid)
-CEO and Managing Director believed that hospitality should be a career and encouraged staff to treat it as such. They encouraged staff to grow and develop their skills
-Managing director made an effort to remember staff members - gave it a personal feel and made you feel valued
-Paid holidays if full time
-Head Office staff were very nice
-Lots of opportunities to learn! Beer specialist courses etc.
-Lovely decor inside the brewpub
-Great selection of beer and other alcoholic drinks
-An hour break given in the middle of a 12 hour shift

Negatives:

-High staff and management turnover
-Poor communication between management and staff
-Below London Living Wage
-Management did not take care with the rota - unfair shifts - sometimes posted the rota at 11pm on a Saturday, giving all members of staff only 12 hours notice, and often wouldn't allow shift swaps. This was extremely disruptive and led to a terrible work/life balance. There was one occasion where I wasn't able to see my boyfriend for a whole month due to the inability to plan my life around work.
-Managers didn't respect bar and restaurant staff. Bad culture. But of course, this will vary depending on which site you work at
-Staff discounts weren't good, and Perkbox scheme isn't brilliant
-The brewpub was consistently understaffed which made things very difficult. I would regularly be running
  more... the bar alone on a busy Friday or Saturday night, and sometimes even running food and taking table orders at the same time too
-On busy shifts, staff were not assigned breaks. Towards the end, I worked a 13 hour shift on my own with one manager on a VERY busy Saturday without a single break (not even for a cigarette)
-Kitchen made a LOT of errors - e.g. preparing a vegan sandwich with butter(!) Front of house staff would have to deal with (understandably!) unhappy customers for these mistakes.

Overall, I enjoyed my time at Brewhouse and Kitchen. There are a lot of great things about the company, and I will return as a customer. However, I often felt as if I was overworked and sometimes felt taken for granted. I wanted to stay with the company because I believed in it, but I increasingly felt like I was giving far too much and receiving too little.
Great company to work for
Head chef (Current Employee) –  Dorset17 May 2019
- the company looks after their employees, always help on hand if you ask for it or need it.
- great progression and training in place
- fun friendly environments
-Great drinks and food to work with.
Pros
Job progression, training, helpful management, good support system
Cons
longer induction in training site to learn would help for when we get into our own site.
Avoid like the Plague
Kitchen Manager/Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Dorset29 April 2019
Probably the worst company out there give this company a very wide berth from the area chef to the regional manager they couldn't Organize a drunk session in a brewery!!
The menu is so out there i wouldn't recommend using this company as a stepping stone in any career in catering.
As for the rest wage,hours, place of work to be honest its completely awful if you really thinking about working here i suggest you think about it long and hard there are other companies out there that are so better than this company!
Pros
Absolutely none!
Cons
Were the h#ll do i start!
social workplace
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Lichfield, Staffordshire14 January 2019
Pleasant work environment, meet lots of new people. Learnt a lot about beers/ales/brewing. The online training is very time consuming and can be difficult.
Pros
fun
Cons
online training
Atmosphere
Waitress and Bar staff (Current Employee) –  Lichfield, UK10 December 2018
Great people you meet on the job,
Learn brand new things which is always a benefit.
However,
Under staffed meaning a ridiculous amount of pressure
Staff members not working as a team which should be addressed as they do not meet the standards.
Short hours, low salary
Fast paced and short hours and low pay (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire29 October 2018
Worked every Saturday and Sunday only 3 hours on low pay wasn’t the best job but some team members were nice and friendly and then some wasn’t. Best thing about it was sometimes free drinks and food while it was quiet but that was rare!
Growing company with lots of opportunity
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 October 2018
- be a self starter and willing to adapt
- raise your profile and deliver great results and you will be recognised
- CEO will treat you like a partner and want you to treat the business like your own
- work here if you love hospitality, making change, and leading from the front.
Pros
Growing fast and therefore lots of opportunity. Management salaries and bonuses are good.
Cons
It’s a start up so be up for a lot of hard work.
Best job i have ever had
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham24 October 2018
I have learnt a great deal about the hospitality industry while working for this company, yes it is long hours but that is the industry. I have been on several courses to further my knowledge on beer, service and coffee
Pros
Staff food, christmas parties, fun workplace
Cons
Long hours, but it is the industry
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire3 October 2018
taught me alot about going into the industry but sadly couldnt ever secure consistent hours. would reccomend to someone looking to go into chef industry.
Pros
good team
Cons
not enough working hours
Dirty
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire25 September 2018
This has to be the dirtiest kitchen I have ever witnessed in the twenty one years of being a chef.
Kitchen needed gutting, but managaers don’t care

Avoid at all cost
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no food, filthy dirty kitchen
Turn over to high
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands8 September 2018
Shocking as a GM to see such a high turn over. I was the 5th GM appointed withing 1.5 years. Although i proved myself and still currently work for this company after doubling this period of time, which is not long by any of the imagination. I am now the longest serving in my area and have decided the company do not communicate well and fail to follow through with actions and promises at all levels. The owners are very pleasant and the concept is great, but due to fast growth they can't handle what they already have. They need to look after what they have now before continuing plans to get more investers and expanding.
Pros
Concept
Cons
Lack of communication
Worst job ever
Cdp (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, Dorset5 September 2018
Not stable, all the time chefs are changing, place goes more and more to ping chefs. Sous chef and head chef leaving in same day, just because so bad. Manag at are even worse, when was applying for job as cdp, it was said in advertising that money from 8.50-9.50 but on phone was told that: we can pay you only 8 pounds. Duck off. 6 years of chefing, part of them as a sous chef and 8 quid. I will get more paid at maccies. As they not giving tips to chefs. Horrible place, if you want to see worst place for work ever, go to try brew house and kitchen at Dorchester.
Pros
Cons
Split shift, job share of tips, minimum wage, cheaky managment.
It was the worst work I've ever done.
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire4 August 2018
I've been there for a few months the work is very bad, and the managers are the worst!!!
I had some problems at work.
I made written complaints and nothing was done!!
The head chef leaves work and nobody does anything.
seriously was the worst work i had in portsmouth I do not recommend to anyone They're always changing chefs so is not stable
Unstable
Barman (Current Employee) –  Southampton26 July 2018
I learned a great deal about the running of the pub,as well as a lot of information regarding various drinks, etc. The management varied, when I joined I felt very comfortable, however regular manager changes and a high staff turnover meant that it didn't feel a very stable environment.
Good place
Waiter/Barman (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire15 June 2018
Good place to work, high standard expected to go along with great products. Would recommend and will continue to go to brewhouse and kitchen as I really respect the culture of what the brand is and I learned a considerable amount of knowledge from the management team.
Pros
Great range of beer to sell
Amazing people, fun
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire20 December 2017
Friendly and fun place to work ...Because of the low hours as kitchen porter i would recommend this jobs only for students ...Amazing food and people...
Pros
50% discount
Cons
low hours
Gran enfoque en estandares de calidad
Grill chef (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth , Reino Unido13 November 2017
Gran empresa con alto estándar de calidad y dicersas franquicias a lo largo de Reino Unido

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brewhouse and Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.