Brewhouse and Kitchen

Brewhouse and Kitchen Employee Reviews

United Kingdom43 reviews
Attracts friendly customers, easy menu to memorise and fairly organised management. The shift pattern can be sporadic but always get the right amount of hours a week.
Pros
staff food (sometimes)
Cons
Understaffed
I have worked for over a year now! Love the place. Atmosphere, the team and new management! Great team throughout the company all cheering each other on. Very long shifts but when pay day comes it’s so worth it! Plus!! Minimum wage has now gone up 💃🏼
Pros
Amazing team moral!
Cons
Long shifts
Of all the kitchens I've worked in the area, brewhouse is the only place where quality is the priority not just £££. Not over complicated but, still a worthwhile experience for chefs who don't want to use nothing but microwaves and/or serve bland poor quality food. Good training and progression opportunities as well.
The year I spent at Bedford's Brewhouse and kitchen was one of the most horrendous jobs I've ever had. However, this was in the most part due to the staff and management. The job itself was fast-paced, which I enjoyed, but the support and guidance for staff was very much all or nothing. There's regular online training required on the Flow Hospitality system, which you are expected to complete and pass. Yet there is no support or guidance with this and most of the management at the time I worked there couldn't even complete it themselves. You're also not paid for the hours of training that you have to complete at home! The weekend shifts are always super busy, which is to be expected of this type of bar environment. Normally this would not be something that bothers me. However, the management are never on hand to help when needed and when you have angry drunk customers, you need them around pronto! The rotas were constantly changing so that no one knew where they stood and getting any holiday was near impossible, no matter how much notice I gave. There were constant issues with staff not being paid correctly and to this day I am owed money from them I'm sure I won't get back. There were a lot of issues with bullying and constant disputes between the kitchen and bar staff. I was only here for just over a year and after only a few months I was the longest-serving staff member, excluding management. There was forever staff coming and going, as most people couldn't handle the long hours, extensive duties and being berated by management. Three members of staff walked out whilst on - more...
Pros
fast-paced environment, good opportunity to learn new skills
Cons
not getting paid correctly, awful management, bullying, long hours
Absolutely poor. The pay was good but the management was poor in my opinion, the shifts were very good and the pace I enjoyed but some of the staff was quite rude.
Stressful at times when busy.But generally good. Friendly staff & close to home. Suits my family life as i can combine my working hours with my husbands,
The worst job I have ever had, extremely poor management, with next to no skills or training in their so called profession. Do yourself a favour and AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!
It was a fun business to work for to begin with, a smallish business, great team, incentives and room to grow. Towards the end however, we were understaffed, with about 5 FOH staff, a sense of corporatisation with more higher up roles being added, and a focus on cost cutting and sales targets. We were overworked on the weekends with a busy late night trade meaning we needed all hands on deck, but with people needing to work the morning after, couldn't keep all staff late. You would have thought that with 5 front of house staff and a seemingly busy night making money that hours were good? 3 of the 5 of us were full time and barely making 30 hours, one pay month I didnt hit 30 once. And STILL we were getting hours cut left right and centre. We were broke, working hard on the weekends and then being told we weren't making enough money for the big bosses. I guess a feeling of resentment was sensed by the higher ups as they organised a "brewing happiness" event, which was billed to us as "we want you guys to be happy to work for us, and have good mental health" but after can be boiled down to a condescending "fake those smiles so customers think you're ok and give us more money". I think this was the last straw for a few people in my location. All that being said, the lower management (most managers working in my pub) were good as gold and were some of the people I have respected most in my life. These people were being dumped on from above and whined at from down below and still managed to keep going and always fought our corner. We weren't given the opportunity to even organise - more...
I've enjoyed every part of my job so far! I've also never learnt so much about beer and how its made. The managers are all so fun and hard working. It's a really great place to work
Pros
Free staff food, access to a reward and discount platform
Cons
Not really a con, Managers work hard so expect team to work hard too
If you like working with broken equipment and no staff and being lied to by the management and area management also being underpaid every month then this is the perfect job for you
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Lies, broken equipment no staff, poor payroll
I had a blast working for the brewhouse in southbourne over a summer. Everyone who I worked with was friendly, including management. We knew what we had to do, and we did it no problem. Great working atmosphere. And with the right people, I’d do it again!
Worked there as CDP years ago. Managers lay as hel, head chef was totally unprofessional what all chefs in a kitchen was agree about. He managed to mess with delivery for Christmas booking tables! Like veg, pigeon blankets and other stuff. That was hilarious as I personally was been bothered and left shortly. Seen my p45 and final pay finally in 5 month time as BM there is not a moves persin
A nice company although like all bar jobs the hours are anti-social with late finishes.

Requires professional attitude compared to some bar work which is more casual in terms of expectations, not that this is a bad thing per se. There are opportunities for advancement and online training covers all aspects of beer styles and brewing beer.

The hardest part of the job are busy weekends when you may spend 8 hours running around, serving customers, running food and collecting plates.
I was apprehensive but excited about joining this chain. The manager had appallingly bad people skills and staff turnover reflected this. I tried my best, went to all courses offered but nothing ever pleased him. On reporting this to senior management, I left as I could see there was no way forward. Bitterly disappointed
Very fun place to work with many opportunities to learn and grow. If you have an interest in beer this is the lace for you, there's lots of training to extend your knowledge of beer and ow it's made. This company can help you progress into any area of the business that interests you.
disgusting arrogant company ,management a total disgrace never reply to emails, an easy job made harder by fools who think they know better.people with no experience working in cellar cant organise stock change keg total shambles,management couldn’t care less. they advertise a job on indeed and never reply to people..disgusting place and people .
It was an wonderful experience to understand the culture in this country and improve my skills.
Working hard under pressure, always helping to my co-workers and trying to improve the ways produce.
I have done work experience at B&K for a week with my school.
I have absolutely loved it there, staff was really friendly and supportive aswell as patient with me as it was my first experience of what working is like.
Pros
Friendly stuff
The team here became really close to me, it's like one big family. Working with most of you has been a pleasure, though the hour reductions lately meant that when you do work, you can often be overloaded, and other days sent home early. Sometimes little issues can be blown out of proportion here, but then it's a very unpredicatable workplace. When its steady on the business scale this place will make you proud to be a part of the team. It can really be a buzz working alongside the team. If unpredicatble days aren't an issue to you, you will have loads of fun here. You also get to enjoy brewery experience days and sitting around with a pint at the end of a long shift with the lovely and welcoming staff.
Pros
Welcoming team
Cons
Unpredicatble hours and sometimes a little too tight on perks and rules.
Positives:

-Free staff food

-Above the minimum wage

-Management apprenticeship scheme - hard work and talent is recognised and rewarded in this way

-Thorough training (we had a full 2 weeks before opening, paid)

-CEO and Managing Director believed that hospitality should be a career and encouraged staff to treat it as such. They encouraged staff to grow and develop their skills

-Managing director made an effort to remember staff members - gave it a personal feel and made you feel valued

-Paid holidays if full time

-Head Office staff were very nice

-Lots of opportunities to learn! Beer specialist courses etc.

-Lovely decor inside the brewpub

-Great selection of beer and other alcoholic drinks

-An hour break given in the middle of a 12 hour shift

Negatives:

-High staff and management turnover

-Poor communication between management and staff

-Below London Living Wage

-Management did not take care with the rota - unfair shifts - sometimes posted the rota at 11pm on a Saturday, giving all members of staff only 12 hours notice, and often wouldn't allow shift swaps. This was extremely disruptive and led to a terrible work/life balance. There was one occasion where I wasn't able to see my boyfriend for a whole month due to the inability to plan my life around work.

-Managers didn't respect bar and restaurant staff. Bad culture. But of course, this will vary depending on which site you work at

-Staff discounts weren't good, and Perkbox scheme isn't brilliant

-The brewpub was consistently understaffed which made things very difficult. I would regularly be running
 - more...
- the company looks after their employees, always help on hand if you ask for it or need it.
- great progression and training in place

- fun friendly environments

-Great drinks and food to work with.
Pros
Job progression, training, helpful management, good support system
Cons
longer induction in training site to learn would help for when we get into our own site.