Brewdog Employee Reviews

fantastic company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ellon, Aberdeenshire19 September 2019
Fantastic Company - Loved working there but needed more hours! which weren't available at that time

great bunch of folk to work for all friendly and helpful!!!
Horrible company
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Ellon25 April 2019
Horrible horrible place to work. The charge hands essentially do nothing and watch you work and if the bosses don't like you then they will find anyway to ensure your job is not safe. They may act all nice and friendly as if it's a nice place to work but it's all false. Unless you brown nose the bosses and have them like you then your job will never be safe and they will essentially bully you.
Pros
Leaving the place
Cons
The place.
Worst Employer
Junior Packaging Operator (Former Employee) –  Ellon10 April 2019
A typical day involves working start to finish while operators sit and watch. I learned you need to be friends with higher management in order to get any where. Management are useless. Fear culture, no ones job is safe. The hardest part of the job is keeping your job if management do not like you. The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving
Pros
Free gym
2019 Packaging still not changed
Junior packaging (Current Employee) –  Ellon, Aberdeenshire1 March 2019
Very poor management (still) as said in other reviews. They now operate machines under staffed and also not in safe working order.
The people turn around in packaging is so vast no one is trained to a good level only a select few make it that far.
Pros
Unicorn fund
Cons
Two 30 min tea breaks in a 12 hour shift
Amazing beer
Sales person - On Trade (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London11 February 2019
Fast paced and in dog years so life moves FAST
General culture of people is amazing - full of great, energetic & creative people with a love for beer who want to make a difference
Pros
amazing beers
Cons
ruthless culture
fun but demanding work
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire7 February 2019
Brewdog was overall a good place to work but the culture of 'boot strapping' often forces managers into working 70+ hours a week to get noticed or hit targets. The effect this has on full time staff is not good, hours frequently approaching 60 during peak periods. On the flip side it forces you to work closely with your colleagues and you develop closer friendships with people that you might not otherwise have spoken to. With the AFD's, clo-pens and trying to cram as much life into the hours you do have free and not waste them on sleep, all the while surrounded by enthusiasts of a particular alcoholic beverage, the lifestyle can't really be described as healthy or sustainable for most people. Career progression depends not so much on how many hours you put in and how much of your life you devote to the bar and its ethos but carefully managing others perceptions. Have fun but protect your reputation, not everyone is your friend. To progress at Brewdog, don't get stuck at a small unit, be willing to move for promotion, work harder than your liver, have a sense of humour and develop an evangelical love of beer.
Pros
25% staff discount, Cicerone
Cons
0 work life balance, the job is your everthing
Productive fun work place
Production Operative/Packer (Former Employee) –  North Lanarkshire15 January 2019
I worked on a fast passed production line I thought was really good kept going and worked with really friendly good working people I bacame a team leader with help from other team leaders on the team I thought the place and company was good to work with but unfortunately the packaging line I was working on wasn't needed any longer so we all lost our jobs what was sad because at the end up we were all just like family.
Do not work here!
Barman (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City11 July 2018
Money hungry people who only care about one thing! Job is slave labour! You are treated like a number and not a person & your opinion is constantly dismissed. Honestly the worst job I have ever had!
Pros
Cons
See above
Not worth the money due to the terrible management and area team
Bartender and Chef (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 July 2018
Manchester was a horrible place to work, however i covered 1 shift in nottingham and that bar was far more pleasant, its just manchester general manager and area manager who make it hard
Pros
free beer after shift, pretty decent bonus
Cons
terrible general manager and area manager
Compared to other companies locally, there is no where I'd rather work!
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Ellon16 February 2018
BrewDog is fast paced, there is no point trying to dress that up any other way. So if you are not a fan of regular change then this is not the place for you.

However if you ask me, the fast pace and frequency of changes at BrewDog makes my role a whole lot more interesting. Never have i used the phrase "keeps you on your toes" as much to describe the place I work.

The benefits on offer are amazing. Crew Treats offers high street discounts and cash back; and also provides you with a one stop shop of all the information you need to help you figure out the other amazing benefits and how they work. Unicorn Fund, Pawternity, The Fix, The Gym, Cicerone, Enhanced Pension.. I could go on and on.

I'd choose BrewDog over Oil & Gas any day.
Lazy Hipster Paradise. *Ideal For Smokers*
Packaging minion (Current Employee) –  Ellon, Aberdeenshire11 February 2018
Want a job where you're completely unappreciated with condescending managers and absolutely no chance of promotion unless your face fits? Then Brewdog is for you. No clue what they're doing, management spends 1 third of the year absent, 1 third on holiday, and 1 third hiding in the office. The laziest staff are promoted to operators for having irrelevant degrees rather than actual job competence while those who have earned it are left behind. If you are fortunate enough to be a smoker you will be treated to an extra 10 minute break every hour while someone else works two jobs to cover you. Meanwhile the rest of the staff have their allotted breaks timed to the second in order to increase efficiency.
Pros
Minimal
Cons
No career progression. Poor, dishonest management. Poor work/home life balance
Inexperienced management and poor wages compared to the pressure put on staff
Packaging (Current Employee) –  Ellon, Aberdeenshire24 January 2018
The packaging department is cut off from the main offices and all the management sit in another site with little to no interaction with the department.

This has led to them becoming out of touch with what is going on in the department and what the teams are actually doing. Also the wages for many roles are less than other similar companies and the pressure placed on staff is horrendous. People in the same role receive different pay and this is damaging to morale.

The 'perks' are very specific to either single people, people who work in the office or people who live in the city. It seems that family life is secondary and is often sacrificed to accommodate the companies demands.

Please don't go by the brilliant public image they have. It is not a great place to work and they have become what they claimed they never would.

'A corporate giant' who places sales and orders over staff and quality.
Pros
Free beer, some great staff parties
Cons
Changing job roles/conditions with no consultation, unrealistic demands and poor wages.
productive
Duty Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London22 January 2018
My typical day at work is very hectic as my duties are many and different.
I usually work during afternoon/night shifts, therefore, days can be very long.
During this time I have been improving my knowledge of craft beers by studying and tastings; I manage to pass the Cicerone exams which take you through beer history, styles, and traditions and now I am attempting to get to next level.
I like working in this environment but I finish too late at night and I have to perform heavy lift every day, also I would rather work in a more artistic environment.
better than your average bar job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 January 2018
Overall a fair company to work for, personal development and beer knowledge was paramount (which they provided support for). Worked with some great people all passionate about beer. Definitelty a step up for anyone generally working in the bar trade.

The not so good - Owners can be highly grating with the tone of their marketing and their presence in general, but that's their style. Should take a back seat and listen to their staff a lot more. It was, at times, hard being the face of Brewdog with so many avoidable, glaring publicity disasters. In recent years they have moved towards rapidly gaining market value and building a billion pound business and in my opinion lost their way on their earlier assertions. Make no mistake, these guys are in it to get rich, which is fine if they were honest about it, rather than contradict time and time again the very charter they co-wrote.

Day to day you would be expected to cover the bar, FOH and the kitchen, and rotated without warning. The kitchen could be highly pressurised and quite miserable at times. Even staff with little interest in preparing food, or who weren't all that good at it, were expected to do it, like it or not.
Pros
living wage accredited, excellent products, great team, challenging and demanding role.
Cons
Irritating brand image and owners, miserable kitchen shifts without notice.
Fast paced interesting work environment.
Guide Dog (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 December 2017
High level of product knowledge required, meaning this is not the place for those who are not passionate about their work. opportunities to move up quickly, but absolute dedication needed, the pay is good, but the work life balance is very poor, as working for the comapany tends to encroach on your day to day life.
Tough but incredible
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Ellon, Aberdeenshire27 January 2017
BrewDog moves fast, so it can be pretty hard to keep up. But if you're capable, it's the most amazing place to work on the planet.
Exciting and Fun
Chef (Former Employee) –  London, ENG3 September 2013
Great place to work. Learnt about craft beer. Great people to work with.
fun workplace
Packer (Former Employee) –  Fraserburgh6 April 2013
12 hour shifts packaging beer 5 day a week easy job lots of co workers
Pros
3 breaks a day