Brakes Group

Brakes Group Employee Reviews in Grantham

Grantham20 reviews
Featured review
Brakes Group selected this as a representative review
I have worked at brakes in Warrington for the past 5 and a half years, the first couple of years where difficult as the Warrington depot was brand new and had to accommodate 3 separate local depots under one roof. These days however the depot is thriving, and their is a really good atmosphere amongst employees. The salaries are more than competitive & the possibility of personal progression is definitely their. At the moment myself & 5 of my colleagues are being put through our hgv licences by the company to become drivers and on completion will receive around a £8500 pa pay rise. If you have a good attitude towards work the rewards are their within this company.
Pros
Good salary, progression opportunities, good canteen, good people
Cons
Too many Man Utd fans 😁
22 May 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with us. Good luck with getting your HGV licence – we’ll see you out on the road soon! If you’d like to provide further feedback please email me at resourcing@brake.co.uk
Job is good for stop gap but not forever as too much walking. Can be very cold environment or very warm and you are timed on your work. Hours are very long and no overtime payed. They don't pay sick pay and the g2 manager is on drugs with burns on his hiviz.
18 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Our warehouses are multi temperature, stocking ambient, chilled and frozen so it can get hot and cold, which is why we provide all appropriate PPE. We do have a sick pay policy - please contact your depot HR to find out about the terms of this. Brakes has zero-tolerance to drug use and we do not accept any behaviour contrary to this - please email more details so that we can investigate fully - resourcing@brake.co.uk
Its a really nice place to work for but the issue is your never allowed to go on time they dictate to you when your shift ends so if your doing a 6 til 2.30 then its more likely 4ish you get off. Managment needs to sort this out as people cant live like that people have home lifes to deal with, theres no other warehouse/ factory jobs where people are not allowed to go home when there shift ends. If this means the way in which the work loads are sorted then the whole thing needs sorting out and asap This is the reason no one stays if they sorted this out they would be a really good company.
Pros
Nice atmosphere
Cons
Not being allowed to finish when the shift ends
18 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you felt Brakes was a nice place to work. We're in a very competitive market and this can mean working more than normal at times, but we wouldn't make extra work mandatory - please email us with more info at resourcing@brake.co.uk so that we can look into this
Health and Safety is a BIG Issue,Spot on I like it. Salary you can leave on it
THAT'S IT. The rest NOT good, Long hours. You never knows when you going home. Annualised hours? Team leader with zero knowledge of management....
Pros
Even I forgot about it
Cons
Too many
22 August 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We have one of the best records for Health and Safety in our industry and it remains our number on priority so that we can ensure the safety of our colleagues and customers - we're pleased to hear that you noticed this. Hours can be long and the work can be hard, and we are constantly looking at ways to improve things for our colleagues
Food store
Cold and dry store

Picking with voice unit

Move Pallets with PPT truck

Shipping the orders

....................................
26 July 2019
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at
resourcing@brake.co.uk
if you want an easy day to day job with no real stress then this is the perfect job 8 hour days sometimes you may be required to stay at most half hour longer but a lot of times your either on time or early.
Pros
on site canteen
Cons
mind numbing
3 April 2019
resourcing@brake.co.uk
Forever changing working environment due to growth and ownership changes but having worked for this company for almost twenty years it was overall a good company to work for with many challenges but equally many opportunities for advancement if you pushed yourself.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Annualised hours
I was once wondering about a pool on facebook for local people to rate their workplaces...

My top choice would of been Brakes.

Would never work there again.

Said much.
Start work at 3 in the afternoon and supposed to finish at 11.30 but often not get finished to well passed that when the job is finished and management think this is acceptable also could never book holidays when needed not enough places.
Pros
Good workmates
Cons
Very long hours and poor management
i enjoyed my time at brakes, the work place is very organised and very well managed and very kind people who work at the place aswell the only down fall is the shift patterns when i was there i was working well over the time i was supposed to.
Pros
one free break
Cons
more working then shift hours
My day to day work as a supply planner is varied, although part of a structured day.
I enjoy building good working relationships with suppliers and customers.
Pros
Staff benefit package, also on site staff shop
Cons
communication between different offices sometimes lets the process down
Fast moving and challenging.
A great bunch of people who help the day go even quicker it is a relaxed environment but very focussed on achieving targets.

The benefits used to be class leading but have fallen behind in recent years it is a great company to work for and has a culture of promoting from within so don't be scar3d to take a step back to achieve your ambitions in the future
Pros
Canteen, Tea/Coffee facilities
Just being at work it really felt good,
What I learned at work was how to build and pick orders,

For the customers.

We all got on really well.

The management would give you encourage and would praise,

You all the time.

The hardest part of the job is when you had to go round

The store picking orders using a hand pallet truck,

The most enjoyable part of the job,

Is when we are finished and I know then that the,

Customers have got there orders, that makes me happy

Knowing that.
Pros
Tv in the cafe
Cons
Yes there long hours but with it
This Company is one of the worst to work for. When you join you are on an annualised hours contract which means any hours past your 40 goes on a total for the end of the year and you are payed this at normal rate.

The company are dependent on agency and have got such a bad name they struggle to recruit them which means you working alot longer hours.

There is no chance of progressing as the managers have a easy job and are paid well so never want to move in there jobs.

Please dont believe the possitive reviews for this company. I have worked at many depots and everyone is so fed up with the company.

PLEASE DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY
Pros
Cons
Annualised hours, Long shifts, Terrible management.
absolutamente positiva, con un salario justo por el trabajo realizado y posibilidades de progresión dentro de la empresa
Pros
libertad para tomar decisiones
Cons
ninguno
brakes was the best job i have had because the work was fast paced and they were good to there staff managers were on form if you needed any help or questions
Pros
cheap staff meals
Cons
no overtime
ensuring all products are picked correctly at a standard for customers,protective clothing is worn in the right departments,replenishing the shelves for other colleagues to pick and pack,i personally get on well with all my co workers and the management.
I have learned a great deal while im working here including being trained on different machinery passing my test on the reach truck,being trained to work in minus conditions helping other colleagues when they are in need having to deal in paperwork.

The hardest part of my job is meeting the needs and demands of customers but succeeding.
Pros
staff shop
Cons
A massive company with a good support backing, an priority is placed on training which reviews and continues throughout your career.
a typical day at work here, was to pull a pallet truck round and load a pallet with the required product and then wrap it up. then place it in the loading lane.
I was assigned to work at brakes through ambitions personnel agency, i worked there for six months until my assignment finished
Pros
staff shop
Cons
working untill late hours
A typical day a work very busy none stop, I have learned a great deal but as i have been there for a long time, it has changed over the years and there is no time to show anybody anything, shown once then expected to do the job straight away,Some management are very poor are communication and man management skills not very supportive and helpful when busy and running behind, People on a day to day basis are very easy to work with and get along very well.
Pros
Staff shop