Bradfords Building Supplies

Bradfords Building Supplies Employee Reviews

United Kingdom30 reviews
Nice and relaxed with a little stress but lots of rules that you learn that aren't always adhered to when they need to break them.
Payday is on last day of month and not paid early at Christmas.
Pros
Work colleges
Cons
Wages
Expected to work stupidly hard whilst constantly overloading the delivery vehicle with no thought for the driver or their licence. Constantly annoying the customer but leaving the driver to face the consequences and having to apologise. Don't bother applying for any jobs here as any hard work won't be appreciated
Pros
Going home at 5pm
Cons
Leaving for another job
Busy and stressful
How to do my Job to the best of my ability

Some good some bad,

Ok I suppose

Constantly on the go

The people I worked with (Most of them)
No team work between departments, bad management from the top down through to branch level no support with aggressive customers. Couldn’t pay me enough to go back to this regressive company
Having worked in other industries and companies, Bradfords truly is a fantastic place to work. Everyone is friendly and supportive and whilst you are expected to work hard, you are valued for your efforts.
What I love is the fact that you have a say and your opinions matter. You can email the CEO at any time with an idea or problem and he personally will take the time to respond - not many other companies would encourage this, but Bradfords do.

The company has been around for 250 years and is still 100% family owned by the Bradfords family. This is amazing and is reflected in their family feel and supportive culture. I have been surprised by the number of staff who have been in the company for over 20 years and even those who do decide to leave often come back. That says an awful lot. Quite simply the best company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Friendly and Supportive Management
Cons
This is a very supportive company. Yes it can be long hours and yes there are times when you work bloody hard but the people you work with and the support they offer if you have any problems are just great. It’s a really good balance if you can find a job that you enjoy and people you enjoy working with and I think Bradfords offers that.
I was one of the first apprentices that Bradfords took on as a company. I thoroughly enjoyed working in a small branch and I learned a substantial amount in a really short space of time. They helped me develop skills and I was then able to move up within the company. Would recommend this job to any willing person, of any gender or background.
Not very good, progression is pretty must non existent.

The main building supplies part is very good, K and B Showroom leaves you wanting . management are not supportive.
Yet again I see they are advertising for employment just goes to show they don't look after their staff rather be on dole then work for them.better of working for the social
Cons
No organisation at all your just a number they really are awful to work for.
No training, little procedures, lack of input allowed by staff. Very little staff banter.
Pros
Hours suited me part time
Cons
Rubbish to work for
Gained experience in working directly with the senior decision making management team.

Family based organisation with over 40 branches and a substantial turnover.
Great bunch of people to work for and work with, no two days are ever the same. You are constantly learning new things and new ways of working. I would highly recommend Bradford's.
Pros
Great bunch of people
Cons
No cons from what I have experienced
Busy and fast paced company to work for.
Learned many skills including vast product knowledge

Good Management team

A lot of deadlines to meet

Enjoyable part of the job was achieving branch targets and receiving reward.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Expectations on the Branch Manager from a higher level
All the staff were lovely. They explained a task clearly and helped me if i needed it. I felt like i learnt a lot of new information which they made interesting and i felt very welcome.
They are welcoming, the branches have great solidarity, the employees have been improved over the years so that they do really try to provide excellent customer service and there are some genuinely good people and teams trying their utmost to serve all and please their superiors. The company has genuine benefits and a pleasant culture nurtured by HR and many employees. The experience is potentially really great with several massive drawbacks:

Head office have their heads stuck in a 9-5 world and seemingly few clues in how to make things simpler and easier to support their 07:00-17:00 teams who EARN the money for the company. Some don't perceive that they are there to support branches and so instead branches can become micro managed at the cost of customer service with lost business.

Some support departments are still run by self congratulatory incompetents who make poor decisions on high wages over their teams that perform poorly as such.

The employee package and discounts benefit head office waged people, not lower paid staff.

The holidays are generous and with early finishes BUT with no cover so the rest of you work your absolute backsides off running around looking like a bunch of imbeciles trying to complete a day's operation efficiently and maintain any sense of service to customers. This lack of staffing really undermines everything you try to do. One of the worst things that puts pressure on all branch staff and costs the company thousands per branch each month in lost sales and quotes and mistakes and wasted trips. Lorry maintenance and fuel. Its horrendous.
 - more...
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Lack of support and staff.
A company that looks after their staff, good family, work life balance. Competitive salary with the opportunity to advance within the company.
Opportunity to learn a lot about the building trade
Pros
Friendly
Cons
I have gained a lot of experience during my time at Bradford's, I work with a variety of people who I enjoy being around. It is a good place to work but the work/home life balance could be improved.
This company are an enjoyable company to work for; they have boosted my confidence and gave me great opportunities to develop and increase my knowledge.
Pros
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Cons
More communication required between all areas of staff to ensure everyone is kept in the loop.
Worked for this company for 15+ years. My manager was one of the best (even though they are trying to make his work life as uncomfortable as possible but it's not working) CEO made his friends directors forcing long standing directors to leave. Shame as this company was one of the most enjoyable to work for, was so proud to say I worked there at the time.
Pros
None now.
Cons
if you are a friend of the CEO you will be fine
I have found Bradfords to be a really welcoming business. The team I work with are really helpful and friendly and really do want to help the business be successful. Every day is different and when I don't know the answer to questions, there are people around me who do. The management are around a lot - they talk to you and seem interested in what we do. The staff benefits have really improved and they seem to be introducing more and more, which is great. I also get a staff discount which is really helpful when carrying out the diy! Yes, the hours can be a little longer but again, they have done things to address this and people now have a long weekend every other week. I would really recommend this company as a great place to work.
Pros
Great working team
Cons
I have worked for a number of company’s in the past but have never felt valued, that was until I moved to Bradfords. My Manager and the rest of the team are determined to do the best for the customer whilst always looking after the staff. I’ve had the opportunity to attend training and have even been recommended for a Fast Track Management programme, all within a short time. The Directors know me by name, not just a faceless number on a payroll sheet. I’ve read the negative comments and can’t even recognise the organisation they’re talking about. If you want to get on and prepared to work hard? Bradfords is the right company for you. The company rewards hard work and effort.
Pros
Supportive Manager and great opportunities
Cons
Working outside in all weathers (but I don’t really mind)