Boston Tea Party Employee Reviews

Long LONG hours and days
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 June 2019
If your a manager expect to work 12-16 hours a day 6-7 days a week with no support from head office.
They think it’s totally ok to work you this hard too and as it brings in labour deficit you won’t be discouraged to carry on. No work life balance and a lot of clear favouritism amongst employees and head office.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Long hours, people, salary
Empty promises
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Bristol27 May 2019
At first seemed like a great place to work, early finishes, fun staff. 6 months down the line I was promised a promotion, then 2 months later being told that they cant afford to give me the promotion. Managers started chopping and changing every couple of months and id had enough.

Could have been a great job.
Pros
early finishes for a chef
Cons
lots..
Informative
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon28 March 2019
Gained many new skills and honed existing ones. Unfortunately, because I was a temporary member of staff, no effort was made by the management team to help me progress further. However, I believe that if you are intending to work there for a prolonged period, efforts would be made and steps put in place for progression.
Started out great.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol27 February 2019
Started as a great company to work for, learnt a lot about how to run a Cafe from the business point of view. P&L's became my best friend! Hardest part of the jib was having Head Office in the same building at the cafe, the most enjoyable was also having Head Office in the same building!!
Pros
Great coffee
Cons
Poor organisation
Nice Environment
Waiter/Barman (Former Employee) –  Edgbaston, West Midlands12 February 2019
Employees were very friendly and the whole groups work ethic was very good. Helped me settle in very well and the service they provided to customers was very good.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Manager was late
productive
Kitchen Assistant & Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Ringwood7 January 2019
It had a very practical and friendly culture which I felt was important with boosting morale in a low paid Job. The management was really proffessional too.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
low pay
ok to pay rent, while you find something better
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bristol28 December 2018
generally the people you work with make a fun young crowd.. but other than that the management is awful, they care very little of their staff and generally people are overworked to cover sickness or walk-outs (which are very very frequent)..
good for a few months until you find something better.
Fun but busy
Sales Assistant and Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Bath17 December 2018
It was always a fun environment to work in and the other members of staff are really friendly. The cafe is also really busy so it's a lot o work and definitely won't suit everyone.
Pros
Free food and drinks!
Cons
Basic pay
Insecure hours, managed from a distance, avoid at all costs.
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Bristol19 November 2018
This company is run with one thing in mind and that is profit. They will draw you in with the talk of saving the environment and in house training/developing internal talent but it’s all a load of rubbish. They have reuseable coffee cups but otherwise functions just as any of catering business does.

You will be forced to do your work in as few hours as possible (sometimes 4 hour shifts as a full time chef). If they cannot afford to pay you then you will be sent home no questions asked with no regard for contracted hours.

The staff training books will get ticked off to get them out of the way but nobody will try and teach you anything unless you’re very lucky.

Also if you are a chef and you want to cook don’t work here. There is a recipe and measurement for literally everything, including scrambled eggs. The ovens are half oven half microwave and you just put the food in and press the according button and it cooks it for you. The only thing you can expect to cook using your own senses is poached eggs.

Staff meals are very boring and stingy so expect to live off children’s portions of breakfasts, toasties and bacon sandwiches.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Everything else
Working hard, but nice staff
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Worcester7 August 2018
you need to work hard and under pressure, but the people are nice and we often had fun to when it was quiet. You develop new skills and meet lots of new people. I improved my communication skills and customer service skills.
average
Barista/Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol3 April 2018
Shifts too long and not well paid, often under staffed. If you're lucky to find a good team it could work out. Struggled to match job and private life.
did not like it
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Salisbury23 February 2018
really did not like it there long hours and random shift times it was messy and unsafe i would not recommend it to anyone and the management was very bad
Pros
free food for an 8hours shift
Cons
ramdon shifts
Great company
CHEF DE PARTIE (Former Employee) –  Salisbury27 December 2017
Had a great time there just looking to change job. The managers are great very understanding of situations. The whole is just one big family and are a blast will miss them
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Hours change a lot
fun work environment
Kitchen Porter (Current Employee) –  Bristol23 August 2017
A great place to get involved in if you're looking for a way to get into the service industry as they are always willing to train you up and get you working in higher roles with a clear set progression path
Pros
Free staff lunch
Cons
can be fast paced
Great
Head Barista (Current Employee) –  Birmingham13 July 2017
Great place to work with really good ethics, good hours allows you to live a life. Work can be fun but can get busy at times, great people and customers
Very good work envinroment
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Ringwood15 June 2017
Very busy place to work but more than enough staff to do the job. Serving customers is the main part of the job. I learned how to effectively communicate with others as part of this job and work in a team.
Terrible management
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset19 May 2017
Gave 0 training so unclear on tasks to be completed each shift, forgot to pay me for shifts I worked twice. Almost impossible to get hold of the manager, doesn't respond to text or email, took me about 6 months and a lot of hassling to get paid for a shift I completed. Was sick and manager was unbelievably rude to me over text about it, treated me like a child and a liar. Never spoke to me when I handed in my letter of resignation, even to confirm she had received it, confusion about my last shift and never received any reply about it. Trying to call the company is also an impossible mission.
It is a shame about the manager really as I enjoyed working there and the rest of the staff were lovely and helpful.
Pros
Lunches, friendly staff
Cons
Terrible management, low pay
Floor Staff
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham28 April 2017
Great staff and a fun, fast-paced environment to work in, especially if you're interested in improving upon, or advancing your hospitality skills. Generally a smaller team in each chain, allowing the company to keep it's charm and authenticity and to be invested in it's customers in the surrounding area. Food produced on site which is a big plus, and regular hygiene check-ups maintained.
Pros
Free lunches
good company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 January 2017
helpful company to gain experience in great coffee and ethically sourced food. nationally recognised training qualifications available, and free meals and coffee
Pros
free food, great coffee
Great service
Part-time supervisor and waitress (Former Employee) –  Bath6 September 2016
I loved the people I worked with, I loved the service we provided. After graduating though, I feel more suited and inspired to explore jobs relevant to my degree.
Pros
Free lunch, great colleagues
Cons
Not enough salary for the level of service provided