Boston Tea Party

Boston Tea Party Employee Reviews

United Kingdom55 reviews
A typical day at work would be busy, fast-paced, high-pressure, hot, sweaty and exhausting. But also very rewarding with strong team camaraderie. Never a dull day.
Boston tea party was a horrible experience. The staff simply dont care about training new members of staff and leave you to it and moan if you ask questions. the dress code is weird , members of staff wearing shoes from sports direct and trousers that look like my nan's curtains. i would not recommend working here as its a hostile environment.
Pros
no pros
Cons
rude, hostile, snobby
BTP offers a fun environment to work in!

Opening hours allow you to have a good life balance and it's a familial environment, it can be stressful over the weekend when it gets busier but it's mostly balanced throughout the week!

Shift varies between 7 to 9 hours, but you get to work with friendly people and everyone help each other!

Food and drinks are really good and you get 20min break with a free lunch.

Management was pretty great, listening to staff reviews and you get support when needed. It's a great initiative from them to support the environment with the reusable cups and vegware T/A cups.
Pros
Free lunch, team discount, flexible hours, life-balance shifts
Cons
Busy environment can be stressful
The people that work at BTP are some of the best I have ever worked with. The atmosphere is relaxing and has a true family environment.
I highly recommend.
Really nice atmosphere! All became a family to work with. Management kept you up to date with new products. Although busy and sometimes stressful there was always Praise for the hard work you put in. Free food and drinks was always a bonus :)
good and fun tasks to be completed for meal preperation, i had fun making the cakes for front of house to sell, however a very stressfull place to work
i worked at boston tea party for about 4 months and in that time my mental health has never been worse. the supervisors at my branch were incredibly clique-y and made me feel excluded every single day. i started to suffer badly with anxiety during my shifts, one day i was doing a close and began to have a panic attack, i went to go and clean the toilet as a way of attempting to get some headspace and when i came back down the supervisor asked me if i’d ever considered quitting. i was devastated that they thought it was appropriate to talk to their staff like that, especially considering we were doing the same job! everyday i was talked to like a child, made to feel inadequate and given no support for my anxiety even after reaching out. i also has a pretty shocking run in with the gm at park street, again one evening when i was closing she came through the door when we were closed, i didn’t know who she was and said i’m really sorry but we’re closed. she scoffed in my face and just walked straight upstairs. this is a horrible, cliquey company with obvious favourites and no care for their other employees. don’t work here.
Very fast pace environment with a range of people. Food and drink is decent with menus changing every now and then. The staff work rotes go up normally two weeks before. free staff meals too.
The pay you are given for the jobs you are expected to carry out is criminal. My role as head barista (which has since been divided between 3 different staff members) involved ordering stock, creating and checking invoices. I was expected to train staff, however the only "team" I was in charge of consisted of one weekend staff member, a part time staff member who worked 3 days a week and several supervisors who had to step in to cover the lack of staff. I'm sure at other branches it may be better, some of the people I worked with were brilliant! Others were incredibly rude and undermining. I honestly can't recommend this company any less. Much more independent cafes will pay you more and appreciate a hard working individual and treat you with much more respect.
Boston tea party is a boys “actually more like privileged white middle class” club. No diversity in there ranks what so ever. The disconnect between management and sites is shocking, which is worrying as most of the operational “support” team came up through the ranks, however the support tends to be “this is how I did it, it was easy, what’s wrong with you?” Not professional, not clean, not safe.
Great business supported by a great team. Fast paced and fun. Can be stressful at times but that's part of the job. Got to.make a lot of friends both in the team and the guests.
Loved working in the Barnstaple store- can be fairly stressful at times but overall the morale is great. The regular customers make such a difference too! Very cool place to work.
this job was fast paced and hard work, the management was fair and understandable. the hardest part of the job was be making sure there was enough kitchen equipment for the rest of the team to complete there job roles
Terrible management, filthy kitchen and conditions. Manager rude, and there was a maggot infestation in the kitchen which I was made to clean instead of my usual front of house position
Avoid there's no appreciation they expect too much out of one person all about saving money some people working hard others not doing alot. They try to give the impression that they know everything don't like suggestions it's there way or not at all. Plenty of better places to work with better money and nicer company management.
Avoid working here at all costs - management treat you like just another number, not an actual person - the manager was judgemental, disrespectful and rude to most staff members, other than her favourites. There are so many other jobs going in hospitality, avoid this one! The job is minimum wage, 20 minute break MAXIMUM for shifts over 6 hours - I was doing 10 hour shifts with still only a 20 minute break - and I would be told off if I spent even a minute longer. I cannot express my outrage enough, management were truly awful. The company preaches equality and sustainability yet pays minimum wage and overworks every member of staff.
Boston Tea Party is a good company to grow your skill set. They have good staff and management who are more than happy to help you learn new skills. They are also introducing a new program to help employees develop the necessary skills to become a manager.
Great brand with awesome perks and benefits.

Real vision for responsibility and making things better.

The teams are passionate and unique as are the guys in HQ!
Pros
People, cafes, food
Cons
Okay cafe to work in, however management is wanting and disorganised. Running food and coffee upstairs all day can be very taxing. Generally nice work environment, good free coffee, minimum wage pay.
On your feet all day, minimum wage. Not the worst place and not the best. You SOMETIMES get time for a staff meal which was usually beans on toast
Pros
free tasty coffee
Cons
Not enough time to drink free tasty coffee
very easy going busy at times .great customers .good cumuncation throughout and can have flexability for shifts.alway staff are very frendly and are willing to help.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
unsoical hours