Borough Care

Borough Care Employee Reviews in Stockport

Stockport16 reviews
Worked for borough care for a number of years carnt say it was a pleasant experience,staff under pressure due to lack of management skills from the senior care staff who always had time to go for a cigarette but never have time to lend a hand when residents have not received any personal care for many hours.SHAMEFUll
Pros
You be very lucky to a a break
Cons
12 hours shifts
Keeping money from me not answering any of the emails ive sent ,i have evidence and they'll be getting emails and calls everyday until they pay me....
When joining borough care they reassure their employees that there will be chances to always go further and progress in your role which is untrue, for example at the home I worked in they where advertising for a new Activity and life facilitator there were two carers that applied for the job, one of the interviewed careers was promised a second interview to then be phoned and told that they wouldn't be having a second interview because they had already chose a candidate that didn't even work for the company (great for internal moral and really shows how loyalty and dedication results in progress in the work place).The two and a half years I was there we had four different managers, so there was never any proper support or structure for the staff, the most recent manger was very rude and unapproachable with poor people communication skills and a clear authority complex. The staff were run down because head office would come in and nit pick at everything because they where worried about CQC inspections but the reason they would nit pick is because there was no structure, if proper procedures, protocols and precautions were taken regularly by people in higher positions there would be no need to nit pic or apply unwarranted stress, strain or pressure on staff who routinely do the work expected of them. New managers would come in and change the day to day running of the home leaving all other staff clueless on how the days should be structured. Head office where never there any other time they where just worried how there company would look. Its sad that the company would rather - more...
I have worked for bc for almost 13 yrs in that time I have had support and compassion from managers I'm coming to the end of my time with the company and all as I can say is ignore the negative reviews on here and see for yourself the company will see you have all the training requirements you need to become a valuable member of the team yes we all have a few gripes but as a team you'll over come these the residents are lovely and I will miss everyone there
Pros
Good team
Cons
Fast paced but rewarding
I currently work for borough care and all I can say is I’ll be happy to see the back of it the only positive about this job is the lovely residents who deserve a lot more time and attention than they receive. 12 hour days 8am until 8pm you don’t get a proper handover in the morning about any changes in the residents (crucial as I was once not told about somebody passing and spent half an hour looking for them) it’s absolutely shocking the management doesn’t give a toss either they just palm you off at every attempt to communicate with them the pay is awful considering you’re literally worked to the bone I could go on but I’m sure by reading this you wouldn’t be so stupid to apply:(
Avoid! Rubbish company, Board and all Senior Managers awful and are about as much us as a chocolate teapot. Poor pay and ineffective fluffy (and clueless) HR dept
I have never worked for such a bad company!! Managers always in heels bosing carers around. No hands on care.
Long hours unsocialble hours.

Never recommend this company to anyone. If you have a problem, HR is not worth talking to.

Pay is never right.
10 April 2019
Thank you for your comments, we always want to hear from our staff both good and bad and we are sorry to hear about this experience, we would urge you to contact any member of the Care / Operations team if you have any problems, we also have a staff forum that support when any members of staff feel aggrieved.
Worked here for 3yrs loved it at first but job became unbearable. Long back breaking hours anything you do is never good enough pay is shocking and when you do get paid it’s never right and good luck trying to get what you’re owed. Left due to ill health and being unable to do the job anymore and because I didn’t work my full notice the lovely warm hearted company decided it was keeping my finial pay! Is that the sort of company you’d want to work for?
10 April 2019
Thank you for your comment, however we would never withhold pay for any member of staff even if they choose to leave us. please contact us so that we can talk about this and resolve any issues.
I really enjoyed my job when I started, I still enjoy working with my residents but feel it’s time to make a change and face new challenges. I feel borough care can’t offer me anymore than what I already do ie progress anymore as I don’t want to move upto senior role in borough care company. I need new challenges and want to progress in my career. I work 12 hour shifts with 30 lunch break and two 15 minute breaks, all staff are tired and it can be very stressful especially being short staffed.
Pros
Job satisfaction from my residents
Cons
Under staffed and to much expectations., especially trying to keep people safe when not enough staff to do so
19 March 2019
Thank you for your comments, we always want to hear from our employees. Borough Care always try to offer as many lateral moves as possible within the Company and take recruitment and staffing levels very seriously. If you would like to talk about this in any more detail, please feel free to contact HR.
Treats staff appallingly,never has enough staff on any given shift therefore employs agency staff who end up leaving all the work to the regular staff.
Management in the homes are shocking no care whatsoever for their residents only interested in making the buildings look good and money coming in.

Only good thing to come out of working here is gaining an nvq qualification and the friends made whilst working there.
Pros
Cons
long hours, awful management
This job was fast paced, hard work and the patience of a saint is needed. however, the job is also extremely rewarding. Helping residents suffering with dementia lead a normal life with the residential care home setting. No two days were the same and this kept things interesting. However, the work and home life balance is non existent in this line of work and that makes things difficult when also raising a family. The management was not a good lead, as the turn over rate for management and staff was great as the job is extremely demanding and highly stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the residents and working as part of a team with great like minded people that are all there for the same outcome which is to look after and care for the most vulnerable people in society.
Pros
helping vulnerable people
Cons
long, unsociable hours
Borough Care is a great place to work. I have worked as a Care Assistant for over 10 years and each day is a challenge. The company look after you and I feel valued.
Pros
People
Cons
Great team management's and further training given.
fantastic group of staff,we all work as a team and we are efficient and good at are jobs

The company are always looking to build a better environment to work in
Pros
Great comunication within team
Cons
Long hrs
Having worked here 2 years I'm very impressed with the support staff receive, care delivered to residents and work carried out to make the enviroments lovely for residents to live and staff to work.
Clearly the negative reviews are from disgruntled ex employees.

Resident and family reviews speak volumes and although highlights improvements on some, the staff and head office team are committed to the ongoing work.
Pros
Supportive staff with commitment
Cons
External catering company
I have worked for Borough Care for over 10 years, I now dread going to work each day. I have seen so many changes over the years but for the past 4 years things have got worse and worse for care staff. I can no longer understand how they retain their charitable status. The cut backs are so significant that the people who suffer the most are our residents. They still get the same kind of care as they always have done but the catering is now outsourced and most residents have to have families bringing in food to prevent their relative from getting hungry. My manager buys treats such as biscuits and chocs etc from her own money for the residents as they are limited to a couple of biscuits a day. Change sometimes is good and keeps morale alive but not here. I agree with the previous persons review about staff morale. You only have to look at how many staff vacancies Borough Care now have each week as they can no longer get staff to stay due to the stress over work under staffed and no incentives whatsoever to get staff to stay. I am finding myself in the situation now where I have signed up to an agency to work for someone else after all these years. A colleague of mine who has worked for Borough Care since the very early days got what mounts to £1.25 a year as a bonus for all those years of loyality hard work and dedication, that is an insult to anyone. If it wasnt for my own personal dedication of wanting to care for our residents i would have left a few years ago but thought things may improve, that has not been the case. It wont be long before CQC see for themselves - more...
Pros
Our lovely residents
Cons
over worked, inconsistency, stressed, no incentives, unhappy staff, etc etc
I start at 8am. My first job is to read the hand over sheets and the communication book. I then do hand over and pass on all relevant information to the care staff and the house keepers If any resident requires a GP visit then I arrange this. I then administer and record the medication. I will check the well being of the residents. I would then check and update care plans if required. If there is a new admission or discharge then I would do the paper work for this. I would meet and greet the new resident and settle them in to there room.

In this job you can learn something new every day weather you learn it of the resident your work colleges or the doctors and district nurses

I work closely with the staff as they have first hand knowledge of the residents. I work well with management and my co-workers I take on board there advise. we are all one team working for the resident and if we work well together then the end result is excellent,

The hardest part of the job is when it comes to the end of life care package. This is an emotional journey for the resident family's and staff. The most rewarding part of this journey is how well everyone works to make it peaceful with a loving family atmosphere.

There are several enjoyable experiences in this job.

My personal one is knowing that all the work we do actually makes a difference to peoples lives by improving not just there quality of life but there family's as well.
Pros
Good working enviroment and training.
Cons
Shift pattern.