Borough Care Employee Reviews

Horrible company, useless HR.
Worst job ever!! (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester8 April 2019
I have never worked for such a bad company!! Managers always in heels bosing carers around. No hands on care.
Long hours unsocialble hours.
Never recommend this company to anyone. If you have a problem, HR is not worth talking to.
Pay is never right.
10 April 2019

Thank you for your comments, we always want to hear from our staff both good and bad and we are sorry to hear about this experience, we would urge you to contact any member of the Care / Operations team if you have any problems, we also have a staff forum that support when any members of staff feel aggrieved.

Awful company (head office)
Domestics (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 March 2019
Would not recommend working for this company at all, management is ridiculous, head office constantly putting in place "new rules" without any real sense of what actually goes on in the homes, constantly pushing staff to work beyond their abilities due to being understaffed. During my 2 years I witnessed so many staff leaving the job and going elsewhere because of how bad management is.
Head office VERY unprofessional, ignoring phone calls but then when I call from a different number they answer straight away.
Pros
Residents and fellow staff members
19 March 2019

I am sorry this is how you felt about your experience in Borough Care, all Employees here work towards ensuring that the residents receive the best possible experience and live their life in colour.

We always welcome feedback and if you ever want to discuss this in more detail you should contact HR.

Avoid avoid avoid
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester23 February 2019
I currently work there the rate of pay for the job is shocking in a bad way I love the job residents an staff even the assistant managers are lovely but higher up are a waste of time no support for staff , long hours, rubbish pay, pressure all the time none stop running about for 12 hours the job is very rewarding but the company are disgusting always short staffed which results in lack of care on residents as there isn’t enough time yet we are always at fault for it 🤷🏻‍♀️
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Rubbish company
25 February 2019

Thank you for your comments, we always want to hear from our staff good or bad. We're sorry to hear about this experience and want to listen. Kindly contact any member of HR or come to the staff forum so we can hear and support you.

Under staffed, over worked and under paid
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport2 February 2019
I really enjoyed my job when I started, I still enjoy working with my residents but feel it’s time to make a change and face new challenges. I feel borough care can’t offer me anymore than what I already do ie progress anymore as I don’t want to move upto senior role in borough care company. I need new challenges and want to progress in my career. I work 12 hour shifts with 30 lunch break and two 15 minute breaks, all staff are tired and it can be very stressful especially being short staffed.
Pros
Job satisfaction from my residents
Cons
Under staffed and to much expectations., especially trying to keep people safe when not enough staff to do so
19 March 2019

Thank you for your comments, we always want to hear from our employees. Borough Care always try to offer as many lateral moves as possible within the Company and take recruitment and staffing levels very seriously. If you would like to talk about this in any more detail, please feel free to contact HR.

Awful company to work for
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester28 January 2019
Treats staff appallingly,never has enough staff on any given shift therefore employs agency staff who end up leaving all the work to the regular staff.
Management in the homes are shocking no care whatsoever for their residents only interested in making the buildings look good and money coming in.
Only good thing to come out of working here is gaining an nvq qualification and the friends made whilst working there.
Pros
Cons
long hours, awful management
Hard work, stressful
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester30 August 2018
Very fast paced, not always time to sit and chat with residents or families, no two days are the same, so lucky in one way.
Meals can be up and down, not always a second alternative or second helping, considering the fees that are charged, its outrageous,
one of the hardest parts of the job is that it seems like "rush rush rush" to get the residents ready in a morning like being on a time limit sometimes.
Change of management doesn't always bode well, specially when they seem to have no interest in staff and use foul language in the office.
Short staffed becomes a problem, but you are stil expected to work and care for 40+ residents no matter what.
No flexibility in hours either, even though borough care advertise it.
Pros
lovely residents staff and families
Cons
long hours, no flexibilty either
Fun and fast paced, hard work.
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester2 November 2017
This job was fast paced, hard work and the patience of a saint is needed. however, the job is also extremely rewarding. Helping residents suffering with dementia lead a normal life with the residential care home setting. No two days were the same and this kept things interesting. However, the work and home life balance is non existent in this line of work and that makes things difficult when also raising a family. The management was not a good lead, as the turn over rate for management and staff was great as the job is extremely demanding and highly stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the residents and working as part of a team with great like minded people that are all there for the same outcome which is to look after and care for the most vulnerable people in society.
Pros
helping vulnerable people
Cons
long, unsociable hours
Great Place to work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester9 February 2017
Borough Care is a great place to work. I have worked as a Care Assistant for over 10 years and each day is a challenge. The company look after you and I feel valued.
Pros
People
Cons
Fun place to work, productive
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester1 February 2017
Great team management's and further training given.
fantastic group of staff,we all work as a team and we are efficient and good at are jobs
The company are always looking to build a better environment to work in
Pros
Great comunication within team
Cons
Long hrs
Supportive and caring
Employee (Current Employee) –  Stockport10 January 2017
Having worked here 2 years I'm very impressed with the support staff receive, care delivered to residents and work carried out to make the enviroments lovely for residents to live and staff to work.
Clearly the negative reviews are from disgruntled ex employees.
Resident and family reviews speak volumes and although highlights improvements on some, the staff and head office team are committed to the ongoing work.
Pros
Supportive staff with commitment
Cons
External catering company
Borough Care should be Borough No Care
Carer (Current Employee) –  Stockport1 January 2016
I have worked for Borough Care for over 10 years, I now dread going to work each day. I have seen so many changes over the years but for the past 4 years things have got worse and worse for care staff. I can no longer understand how they retain their charitable status. The cut backs are so significant that the people who suffer the most are our residents. They still get the same kind of care as they always have done but the catering is now outsourced and most residents have to have families bringing in food to prevent their relative from getting hungry. My manager buys treats such as biscuits and chocs etc from her own money for the residents as they are limited to a couple of biscuits a day. Change sometimes is good and keeps morale alive but not here. I agree with the previous persons review about staff morale. You only have to look at how many staff vacancies Borough Care now have each week as they can no longer get staff to stay due to the stress over work under staffed and no incentives whatsoever to get staff to stay. I am finding myself in the situation now where I have signed up to an agency to work for someone else after all these years. A colleague of mine who has worked for Borough Care since the very early days got what mounts to £1.25 a year as a bonus for all those years of loyality hard work and dedication, that is an insult to anyone. If it wasnt for my own personal dedication of wanting to care for our residents i would have left a few years ago but thought things may improve, that has not been the case. It wont be long before CQC see for themselves  more... the dire situation now they inspect us differently and see there is no consistency with staff for our residents. It is such a heartbreaking shame that Borough Care was a few years ago one of the places people in Stockport wanted to work for, now as you can see from the long list of repeat vacancies it is a place people avoid.  less
Pros
Our lovely residents
Cons
over worked, inconsistency, stressed, no incentives, unhappy staff, etc etc
care assisstant
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cawood, ENG5 August 2015
Learned a lot about care, overall the job itself was very challenging but the people and my colleagues were all very welcoming.
Rewarding job.
Care Senior (Current Employee) –  Stockport, ENG3 February 2015
I start at 8am. My first job is to read the hand over sheets and the communication book. I then do hand over and pass on all relevant information to the care staff and the house keepers If any resident requires a GP visit then I arrange this. I then administer and record the medication. I will check the well being of the residents. I would then check and update care plans if required. If there is a new admission or discharge then I would do the paper work for this. I would meet and greet the new resident and settle them in to there room.

In this job you can learn something new every day weather you learn it of the resident your work colleges or the doctors and district nurses

I work closely with the staff as they have first hand knowledge of the residents. I work well with management and my co-workers I take on board there advise. we are all one team working for the resident and if we work well together then the end result is excellent,

The hardest part of the job is when it comes to the end of life care package. This is an emotional journey for the resident family's and staff. The most rewarding part of this journey is how well everyone works to make it peaceful with a loving family atmosphere.

There are several enjoyable experiences in this job.
My personal one is knowing that all the work we do actually makes a difference to peoples lives by improving not just there quality of life but there family's as well.
Pros
Good working enviroment and training.
Cons
Shift pattern.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Borough Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6