Boots UK Employee Reviews

No Employee Care
Optical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Folkestone, Kent16 December 2017
I have only been working within the branch for 1 month and everything has been unorganised since starting. my first day I was expected to pre-screen without any training due to staff illness. I haven't been designated a mentor and feel uncomfortable going to management for help. I recently went on a two day training course to Nottingham which was a long travel but an interesting event and then 4 days later had to travel to Bristol to take part in a dispensing training course which was at my "local" training hub which was not local and I had to travel past another more local hub to get to that one. After experiencing a fainting episode in Bristol whilst training my management was informed but I have received no employee care (I received no calls to ensure I was okay). Since returning back I have been forced to sign off whilst having tests done via the doctors revolving around the episode experienced at the training course yet management have not taken this seriously and have provided their opinion suggesting I should not take any time off because it was only fainting. Overall feel this should NOT be how management treat staff and strongly suggest management should be taught how to deal with these situations (especially as I do have other medical problems documented on company records).
Pros
Decent pay, same hours each day
Cons
no employee care, lots of intensive training, expected to only care about the store and not personal life.
Excellent supportive employer
Team Co-ordinator Pharmaceutical Deliveries (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth16 December 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Boots, they are excellent supportive Employers who take care of their staff both professionally and personally, in hindsight I thoroughly regret leaving this employment for a new role
Worthwhile and fun
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barking and Dagenham, Greater London16 December 2017
My time in Boots was very worthwhile. I experienced a lot things became more responsible found how it is to be part of a working life . Monday to Saturday. The staff were great they helped me a lot but at the same time treated me the same as the other workers . But most importantly I enjoyed and that is what mattered the most.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No free lunch
Hard working
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shirley15 December 2017
A typical day at boots would be on tills serving the customers, if the shop was quiet we would go and help put the deliveries away with the operations team. At two oclock every day, we checked the fridges and did food rotation. We also had to answer the phone and deal with any customer queries. At the end of the day we would then pull the stock forward.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
job ethos
massive company
Supervisor/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent15 December 2017
i would start my day making sure everyone was happy with what they were doing, giving them more training if they needed it. listening out for the tannoy system in case of first aid call out. i sometimes drove i reach truck, sometimes i was in the dispatch office making sure all the trucks had everything on them the needed before giving them the dispatch note. i learnt how to drive a reach and lift truck, gained my first aid certificate and became fire marshall. there were people from all over the world who worked there. the hardest part of the job was saying goodbye to staff after Christmas period. the most enjoyable part was meeting such a variety of people. the management mainly cared about figures and not so much about loyal staff
Pros
meeting great people
Cons
could be very long hours
The company that doesn’t care
Operative (Former Employee) –  DSP14 December 2017
Worst place I’ve worked at, management have little to no people skills and they do not like it when you speak your mind! All they want are yes men/women that they can manipulate easily. I would not recommend Boots as a career! Your shifts change without warning and have no work/life balance!
Managers show too much favouritism to certain staff in that they get whatever they want!
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Shift work, lack of people skills in management, too much favouritism!
Good experience in community pharmacy
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 December 2017
A wonderful experience to interact with patients and visitors. An extremely educative and benefiting placement experience to understand community pharmacy setting.

A busy pharmacy visited by patients with different needs making you understand and learn how to multi task and perform responsibilities more carefully and accurately.

It was great working with the team who helps and supports each other.
Was a great place to work !!
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Avon13 December 2017
Since the Americans bought out this traditional British Chemist it's gone downhill - no more perks or benefits just lousy discount rates.
Manager's are too young to have life experience and the culture is for them to do as little as possible.

Staff numbers cut to the quick this year and it's not looking any better next year. Expect closures

They bought it out and rinsed it dry, will probably sell it on soon so a new yacht can be bought ....

Cut your losses queuing and go to Superdrug !
Pros
Lack of manager's watching you
Cons
No benefits unless you kiss ***
Nice work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire12 December 2017
Boots was nice but I looking for a permanent job. Because boots is not permanent job . Sometimes is veerry busy and is to many people at work..... .
Cons
8 hours
Poorly managed
Diary management (Former Employee) –  Llandudno, Conwy12 December 2017
A lot is expected of you for little pay. Poorly managed and no room for advancement. Treated as a number and not an individual.
Your break times are constantly monitored and there's pressure to meet your targets meaning you have to rush . They're not bothered about Customer Service just how much money they can make.
Pros
Work around family commitments
Cons
Poor pay. No promotion prospects. Understaffed.
Was ok not brilliant
Christmas Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands11 December 2017
Started as Christmas temp in October,finishing on Xmas day, all Xmas temps BULLIED and spoken to like dirt. Also nobody answers phones when you have to ring in because of adverse weather or illness then get told off the next day. Plus NO name badge and no training given. Be careful before you take a job here. Very ‘cliquey’ too
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Everything else
Awful company to work for
PDC driver (Former Employee) –  Kent11 December 2017
Terrible communication from management. Not given enough time to get work done, made to work extra without being asked Or extra pay. You don't know what your working one day to the next, receiving texts at ridiculous times saying if your in or not the night before. Numerous members of staff are unhappy and treated poorly. Staff put in requests regarding changes to help get the work done on time and they are ignored. Promises of more hours and better contracts are false. Told there not more hours for existing staff, yet always employing more staff. Avoid
busy but friendly place
WAREHOUSE OPERATIVE (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire10 December 2017
warehouse work worked in a cr picking system using trucks in the warehouse to order pick and make sure orders are met and general house cleaning duties of warehouse
Very nice atmosphere among Christmas staff.
Temporary Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield9 December 2017
Use Christmas staff with promises of being set on afterwards and not setting them on. Will try and get Christmas staff to do all hours that regular staff aren't wanting to do. Keep very old staff on permanently and give no scope for new starters.
Pros
Good staff discounts
Cons
Not enough break times.
Worst employers!!!!!!
Pharmacy Dispenser (Current Employee) –  Manningtree, Essex8 December 2017
Our store was so understaffed and disorganised. we couldn’t cope with the amount of prescriptions coming in yet our appalling managers would say we were over budget on staff!! What a joke!! And the targets are so unachievable yet they are on you like vultures trying to squeeze every penny they can out of the nhs!! They don’t care about their staff or customers just pound signs! I would warn you all DONT WORK FOR BOOTS they will work you into the ground.
Pros
Cons
Unrealistic targets, awful management.
Productive place
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester7 December 2017
Working with Boots showed me how important customer service is in a company. Worked with great people who were able to train and advice me during busy hours.
Think very carefully
Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Louth, Lincolnshire7 December 2017
Good staff discount and ok uniform BUT not a very nice place to work. Inadequately staffed, bullying is rife and ignored by weak management. No incentive to work hard ... bonus only for top staff. Whole building is filthy and untidy and in some places dangerous. If you can put up with all that, the pay is very slightly above average, but certainly not enough considering the training you have to do, and the responsibility you will have. The company does not care about the staff, hence the high turnover.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Understaffing. Inadequate management. Pay
Productive and enjoyable
Retail Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnsley7 December 2017
A typical day of working here was relaxing and fun. I enjoyed sorting out all the stock in the back of the shop. I learned how to help a few customers, clean up the store and make sure it's clean and tidy. The management was great too. The workplace culture was a place you could see lot's of people having a good look around to see what they were interested in. The hardest part of the job was I guess filling out the information booklets. The most enjoyable part of the job was just helping out really in my opinion.
Pros
Fantastic staff
Fun work place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire6 December 2017
Working here was fun. However, being on your feet for the full day was tiring.In addition, there were days that were really disorganised and we were not sure who was working
Employees treated like dirt
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 December 2017
Great money for part time job

Terrible company
Awful management
Put customers ahead of staff
Will treat staff like dirt just to keep customers happy
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, terrible managers, awful treatment of staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boots UK. Our community is ready to answer.