Boots UK Employee Reviews

Ups and downs, mostly downs.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire3 January 2018
Budget cuts meant that numerous staff were forced to leave, staff working on photo were unfairly fire, management was poor, morale was low. Co-workers actively sought out better jobs.
Pros
Discount card, flexible hours
Cons
poor management, stressful expectations from upper management, poor morale
learning experience,
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London3 January 2018
I really did learn alot about customer service from working at boots, most of my till training was from here i would absolutely love to go back there.
Hard work with little reward
Optical Consultant (Current Employee) –  West Yorkshire3 January 2018
Progression used as incentive but not followed through . Managment can have their favourites. No thought for college by managment who expect you to do exactly what you told because ' they say so.
Don't rely on Rota as they are changed frequently even after they post them up. You are expected to travel to cover other branches ( these can be quite some distance) even if it will be a struggle ( public transport users) with no thought to travel time. Shop is expected to run on minimum staff but still cover long opening times. Newer and younger staff and part time staff poorly trained and don't work as quickly as more skilled team members to keep up to demand of customers. All in all quite dire which is a shame as this used to be a good place to work.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
See review
Overworked, understaffed
Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon2 January 2018
Great people, but not enough of them. Work culture is dictated by very long term staff members that are invested heavily in the company and won't instiagate change. Managment not allowed to hire enough staff.
Fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York1 January 2018
Days dragged slightly becuase every day was the same bit of a tedious job, but it was really good pay ans the benefits of working there were really good
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long days
Good place to work for but want a change
Optical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent31 December 2017
I have worked for the company now for almost ten years, There has been many change throughout this time, some for the good, others not so.
It can be quite a stressful place to work for, but working in a small store such as mine is really good for customer recognition ensuring a happy friendly environment for the customer which is the main aim of any job in this sector.
Pros
double discount days
Cons
management
challanging but very rewarding
Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Tiverton, Devon30 December 2017
excellent management and staff full training given you can work your way up the employment ladder. staff discount. can work on a number of different areas
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
heavy workload
Good payers but poor job security
Area Administrator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London30 December 2017
One of the best companies I have worked for, with regards to work/life balance. Career opportunities are excellent for the right person but you must be willing to do anything at the drop of a hat (same as most places). Colleague care is important to them and also customer care. A bad point is the prospect of redundancies. There have been several roles affected since I started working there.
A secure place to work with decent pay
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  East Riding of Yorkshire30 December 2017
I've worked there a long time a gained good experience in customer service skills and gained qualifications as a pharmacy technician . Lots to learn. A good career if wanted.
hard place to work
Healthcare Advisor (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset29 December 2017
non stop,busy,never time to finish a started job,demanding customers pressure from management,staff are lovely but no credit given, hours fit in with a family.
Pros
discount
Cons
no time to finish anything
Fun workplace, lovely staff to work with and overall great company.
Bare Minerals Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  London29 December 2017
Working in the beauty department at Boots included; traffic stopping customers to see/talk about Bare Minerals products, management always coming to check up on figures and how the counter and sales were going, supportive staff and great training from management. from time to time on quiet days making targets could cause challenges, although it was always a great challenge to meet the targets and something to improve on. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers determine what they need and have them leaving positive and happy.
Great place to work.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Leeds28 December 2017
Good place to work - enjoy the staff and the job itself. General duties are just working behind the counter and in the dispensing area and completing all aspects of technician role.
Proactive
IT Support Desk (Former Employee) –  Beeston, Nottinghamshire28 December 2017
enjoyable fun and fast pace and exciting.
You have the opportunity to progress within the company.
Management are always in direct contact with employees
Pros
free vouchers
fun workplace, lovely manager
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Trafalgar Square26 December 2017
I loved going to work everyday, my manager was very easy to get along with. The workers there, taught me how to do convenient jobs, such as typing up the price tags. I enjoyed my work experience at Boots, I felt very welcomed and didn't experience any negative moments. I would love to go back.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
distance from home
Picking and packing orders for people very nice place clean good people very friendly
picking and packing (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire25 December 2017
The boots is very high it is a company where u can relax and work normaly with out stress very Nice people friendly people u get paid on tíme payslips comes on tíme on email
Pros
Free lunches
Amazing team
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol24 December 2017
the typical workday would be pre-screening patients, help the optometrists helping patients pick glasses and dispensing said glasses we would also check the glasses on a focimeter to check they are the correct prescription.
I have learned a lot in this position as stated about pre-screening, dispensing etc... I gained a diploma in my position.
my previous management was lovely until they had to leave for medical reasons and i found that the current management was a little cliquey in some aspects.
workplace culture was demanding in a good way and everyone had a good attitude.
hardest part of the job was telling a patient we couldn't do something got them and the most enjoyable would be helping the patients.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
rotas keep changing
Bad company to work for.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 December 2017
I worked for this company for 4 months as a delivery driver. The management was really unorganised. My manager was an okay bloke. Sometimes i was asked to work awkward long hours, but it was on a 7.5 hour contract, so i could deny them sometimes. After a while i was only being asked to work maximum 15 hours a week. Maybe they found someone who was willing to work unreasonably long hours.

Once they forgot to include a weeks pay in my payslip.
My manager tells me he will contact payroll and it will be rectified. It wasnt. And this happened for a couple of months in a row im still chasing it up.I have to keep waiting for the next pay day for tax purposes apparently. I went to contact payroll myself and the man was very stern and slightly rude, as he told me repeatedly he is not interested in talking to me unless im a manager who works at boots.
I cant find any other avenue to fix this problem.

I got £20 christmas bonus, better than nothing.

I wouldnt work for them again, simply because i have no faith in their abilities to pay me for what i have earnt.
Not an actual admin role
Warehouse Admin (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent21 December 2017
I applied for an admin role within the Boots warehouse in Burton so obviously I expected a admin role and not to have to be working around lifting heavy items and working with high places (as I am terrified of heights). It turns out it included all of that and that meant I simply could not work there for that long as I was scared half to death and also could not manage all the heavy items.

The people were nice though so there is that if you can handle the stuff I can't :)
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Information, Heights, Heavy Items
Long hours, poor pay
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire18 December 2017
Lots of work for little reward. Too much internal politics and slow moving to get anything done. Good for progression if you are willing to essentially do 2 jobs to get it
Pros
Discounted shop
Cons
Long hours, poor pay
Work experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Readng18 December 2017
Was really good manager was brilliant with me everyone was really friendly got on really well enjoyed it and would love to work there again. The training was vey helpful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boots UK. Our community is ready to answer.