Booths

Booths Employee Reviews

United Kingdom119 reviews
Booths was a company that worked close with the customers and have always cared about them however the company seems to have become money orientated and in my personal opinion have become not a nice business to work for, staff receive appalling verbal abuse by management, the expectations arent reasonable , it's not a nice environment to work in
I worked for booths through an agency. Was expected to work all hours offered for a basic minimum wage. (No overtime rate) Then your told to apply for the vacancy online (this one) its an orchestrated scheme to get cheap labour. Apply for this vacancy but dont be suprised when your application has been unsuccessful they recruit internally.
Pros
Left alone to do job unless not pickin 120 items am hour
Cons
Bad supervisors, long hours, outdated tech
Absolutely awful place to work toxic atmosphere and the most worrying part of the job was to witness the sheer intimidation of a fellow employee who had learning difficulties
This was mainly carried out by the older staff with younger ones looking on and laughing it was truly soul destroying to watch and this coming in a fylde' town that is supposed to be one of the nicer places
The supervisors had hardly any time to help the staff and constantly bitched about each other behind the others backs leaving a horrible atmosphere.
Staff in the department were left to resolve almost all issues themselves with hardly any support or praise for their efforts leading to extremely low moral.

Also the supervisor of the department didn't actually know what the remit of her staff was.

Happy to leave.
Pros
Staff sales
Cons
Lots
I hated working there it was incredibly understaffed and the management was awful. Had to work long day with not enough staff and if we couldn’t keep up it was our fault according to management. Management didn’t seem to care for staff as we where told to paint on a smile instead of addressing the issues there staff where having. Avoid if you can unless you like being treated with disrespect
Doesn't expect ridiculous hours like Aldi, not a bad company to work for if you're willing to work hard and enjoy your job. Don't expect to go in and just put beans on shelves, multi-skilling is expected and that you'll do overtime where necessary.
Pros
Staff discount, good hols
Friendly workforce but lack of training, understaffng and supervision a problem. Team leaders and even department managers doing the job of GA's, stacking shelves etc. leaving little time to supervise, so GA's left to their own devices.
Lack of investment means employees are often working with outdated, broken equipment and systems, wasting recources and time. Core team of experienced workers overstretched and underpaid although still loyal to company.

Minimum wage paid even on weekends and bank holidays, including New Years Day, Boxing Day etc, no paid breaks.

On a positive note managers approachable and no bullying culture, pleasant working environment.
A friendly staff and pleasant workplace . I work as a specialist customer assistant and enjoy working with good quality products which gives me the confidence to serve my customers in the knowledge that they are spending their money wisely .
Pros
Staff discount, comfortable staffroom, good holidays .
Cons
Very poor pay for the job that I do . Training could be vastly improved, which would improve customer service .
no real promotion family keep all profits ... silly shifts no social life long evening shifts. up early next day six o'clock start next day tired by end of working week.
Pros
all breaks not paid
Cons
funny hours low pay
The management at Booths set a really good example by working on the shop floor at busy times..always available for staff or customer enquiries or problems.The hardest part of the job is dealing with people who have no knowledge of the English language or culture...conversly this is also one of the most interesting and exiting part of working in Windermere.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Booths?
Good job, easy work, good management, good benefits, decent breaks (hour lunch/dinner not paid), flexible hours, opportunities for training, friendly people.
A lot of counting everything in stock, i never knew there were so many types of potato. But the people where friendly and helpful. Gave me confidence to enter a work place full time.
A good job for people interested in a competitive salary - Welcoming and helpful staff - hands-on training - great work experience for the retail industry
I loved working at booths! The working environment was so relaxed but you always had something to do. I had a little family working there was very sad to leave. (Had to leave due to going to university)
I worked for the company around 6 months. Having worked for one of the big 4 previously, I was excited to join a company who cared and looked after their staff. I can honestly say it was far worse than my previous experiences, for minimal pay you are expected to do the job of 2 people and take the flack from customers who are unhappy.

Management couldn't care less about you or problems in your departments. I witnessed team leaders bullying other team leaders which sets a great example! Team leaders who also seem to lack basic knowledge of their department? Appreciate we all need to learn but insisting errors were being made by GAs when GAs were actually right. This made a lack of confidence in team leaders.

Shifts changed with no notice, no one rings to tell you, your supposed to just telepathically know your rota or get a phone call on your day off asking where you are.

Worked with some fantastic colleagues who made the job bearable, would be a decent company if they listened to their staff and didn't work them all to the point of leaving.
Working at Booths should have been a positive experience but poor management made it a stressful one. On many occasions my hours were not given in advance, I was often called up on my days off to come into work and I was made to feel bad for asking for holidays. On the plus side most of the staff were lovely and easy to work with. It enabled me to gain transferable skills to seek other retail jobs.
working here is associated with constant stress and pressure. The company has insufficient employees. The atmosphere and treatment of the employee is terrible
If you want an old fashioned family company, trying to be up to date and adapting modern management then work for Booths. Lots of loyal staff who have worked for many years at my store.
Asked to do a lot for the wages, and now all breaks are unpaid with a new regime recently introduced.

Typical day will start with an update from the manager on previous days activities, profits, state of store etc.

As a Customer Assistant you will be asked to do any number of tasks and certainly if you work for either Trading or Process you need to be physically fit. Bit slapdash on the treatment of staff. Staff moral not brilliant, but then that depends where you work.
have worked here over 10 yrs so much has changed in this time from being a lovely place to work for to dreading going in each day over worked under staffed
Pros
people i work with
Cons
short staffing
When you first start at Booths you think that the company being so popular and respected that it would be a nice environment to work (which it can be), however the management can be more than alittle insensitive and almost like to power play their way through issues without resolving them and often try to intimidate their inferiors (especially those alot younger). The workplace was miserable at times and demoralising with a huge understaffing problem in the cafe and on the deli that had an unnecessary additional pressure to staff and team leaders. On the positive side, there are some amazing and kind people to work with and one or two Team leaders that made the whole experience so much easier and comfortable even with their own problems on going within the company, as well as amazing pay for under 21's- £8.30 an hour and uniform provided at the induction.

I have never had a problem in the past three workplaces I have been at before booths, but when a customer felt it was appropriate to throw insults at me for something that genuinely wasn't my fault. Later, a 'duty manager' pulled me aside and proceeded to speak to me harshly and very rudely. I have never been so intimidated by a staff member before and I even started to shake uncontrollably. I am often a quiet person with no issues with fellow staff and management, but this time I felt completely betrayed by management who refused to deal with the problem even after I complained. I have seen other staff members issues being dealt with and it almost seems like everyone has the same outcome of not being listened to or being
 - more...
Pros
£8.30 pay for under 21's and friendly staff!
Cons
Management intimidating staff and their lack of respect.
Working in the cafe making hot beverages and serving food. I really enjoyed interacting with the customers and found this to be the most enjoyable part of the job. However, the cafe is not organised well and you are over worked and under appreciated. Staff morale is generally low and the working environment has a very negative atmosphere. Ultimately I found it demoralizing after putting in such hard work.
Pros
Salary not bad, good breaks
Cons
Working atmosphere