Booths Employee Reviews

Started well. Became the worst time of my life
Manager (Former Employee) –  various16 September 2018
When I started it was a fantastic place to work. I had a number of years where I loved going to work. Everyday was new. I learnt everything I needed to via a comprehensive training plan. I truly believe that this is where my love for my job began. I worked on every department and the staff who trained me were amazing, truly knowledgeable and passionate.
As the Booth family took a step back, new directors were appointed who changed the business beyond recognition. The newly appointed retail director especially was the worst man I have ever encountered to date. He bullied store management which I have no doubt fed down to the shop floor. They tried too hard to become something they weren't. They implemented a new management structure, which I was successful in gaining, however it meant we lost a huge amount of experience and knowledge within the business. I ended up becoming very unwell and this still affects me to date. I can no longer deal with any amount of stress without becoming emotional. This is mainly because of the extreme pressure I was put under while working for the business, no support was offered-just further scrutiny instead. Nobody even noticed how I was feeling.

I believe the business is now back at the helm of the Booth family, for which I am very pleased about. The retail director mentioned above has been pushed out and the business is starting to return to how customers remember it. Although it will never be the same again due to the staff that have left I do feel they are starting to return to some of their old ways, such as introducing a Greengrocer
  more... position.

I wouldn't recommend working there however are there is still too many new people in high positions who have no idea about retail or how to effectively manage staff.
Pros
Great products
Cons
Extremely poor senior management
A nice place to shop, horrendous place to work
Specialist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hale Barns20 August 2018
I have worked with this company for many years alongside my studies. During the first 2 years of working with the team, I had never once received an incident report or a verbal warning for a simple task or a single late start, which were very rare for me. However, since returning to the position during the summer holidays and taking on more hours I have realised that the entire system is flawed and contradictive.
Some members of staff are incredibly petty and take simple disagreements to management, wasting both their own time and taking the management away from more important issues within the store. Small mistakes or simple misses are noticed and dealt with in extreme ways, whereas helpfulness and care with tasks is left unnoticed with no thanks.
Training is lacking when new starters join the team, leading to them being disciplined for things they do not know or have not been taught. Staff in a team leader or supervisor role feel they are able to speak to their teams in a disregarding and offensive way instead of working towards a solution. An example of this is when a new starter joined the team on the counters and left within a week of starting due to being assigned to the raw counter after applying for the cafe.
Similarly, supervisors and team leaders are unable to accept constructive criticism or help if they are inexperienced. An example of this is the discipline I received after asking a new team leader if they needed any help or if they were unsure after working on the bakery, resulting in the baked goods being in bad condition and not being
  more... sold. Often, if you are younger than other members of staff, involving yourself in working as a team leads to you yourself being slandered and reported to management. Therefore, leave those who are struggling and in power above you to struggle as it will simply be thrown back at you in the form of an incident report or a talk in the office with your manager if you try to help them.
Wants and requests are ignored regarding shifts and uniform. Do you want a Thursday off in order to continue a lifelong outdoor hobby? Prepare to have Wednesdays off instead where you have no commitments whatsoever. If you order new uniform you wont receive it for 6 months if that, and you will also be disciplined for not having any. The way in which this company had deteriorated before my very eyes has shocked me, staff happiness is not a priority here clearly. I am very happy to be working my notice and no I will not be recommending this company to a friend.
The only reason why I have not quit outright is the lovely members of staff that I have been friends with since the beginning. They are the only reason why I continue to work well in this environment and also the fact the end nigh.
I wish you all the best of luck!!!
Pros
Good break length, other members of staff are lovely
Cons
incident reports are given out constantly, therefore they completely lose meaning, very little training given.
Poor Management
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cumbria20 August 2018
Some fantastic members of staff but let down by poor managers. This has spread and the general level of interest from staff is low so as a result jobs are not done to the best that they could.
Pros
Other staff members
Cons
Long days and overworked
Company that's lost its way.
Customer Service/Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Chorley, Lancashire3 August 2018
Worked there for 10 years! This company used to work on family values e.g. they actually knew your name. Change in directors and they tried to become like Asda or Tesco. Customers complained about self serve tills, a Booths customer came in for the personal service like a traditional grocers not to serve themselves.
Change of management structure lost knowledgeable and experienced managers.
Not a great place to work, more expected with a lot less staff therefore not living up to its quality goods served by quality staff.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention.
Very good place of work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Keswick8 May 2018
I really enjoyed my time at booths, i really felt a valued member of the team. I actively enjoyed going to work as i really enjoyed the job as well as the proper working there. I have made some good friends from Booths who i am still in contact with today.
Fun and Enjoyable workplace
SPECIALIST ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hale Barns21 January 2018
A typical day is very repetitive, often the days are the same, it taught me how to confidently communicate with customers. The workplace culture is friendly, theres a strong sense of community and a good work ethic.
Excellent Class 1 Work
HGV Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire16 November 2017
After seeing some of the reviews on here I would have to disagree with a lot of the statements that have been made. As a Class 1 driver for Booths I can stress enough just how much fun the company is to work for particularly if you can use initiative and react quickly to the situations that you find yourself in.

As a driver that has tramped for other companies and experienced much lower wages for work that is much harder to do I can safely say that the wages reflect the work that is required of the Class 1 drivers (its easy enough) - I mean yeah we would all like more money but the wage awawrded has to reflect the expectations and at £10ph with OT at £15ph I cant complain - after coming from £7.50ph.

As someone that has the flexibility for working plenty of OT the worklife balance suits me perfectly - OT isnt compulsory and whilst shifts may exceed the times written on paper this is road haulage and nothing can change that delays should be expected and planned for.

Management at Booths like anywhere else is motivated by getting the job done to a high standard - sometimes this can affect staff in that some staff may become illusioned that management dont care. However, my experience I have never had any such issues with management & any issues I have had with work have always been resolved within a reasonable amount of time.

At the end of the day its road haulage no matter who you drive for and there will always be gripes from people as it isnt always possible to please everyone all of the time. However, I can safely say that I enjoy the place the Job culture is
  more... great the guys all look out for each other & help each other where we can.  less
Pros
Plenty of OT, Good pay for the work expected, Great benefits packages, Feel part of a family
Cons
Sometimes I have to drive a Volvo truck
Very busy job with many benefits.
General Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  England7 November 2017
On a typical day at Booths I would usually be putting out stock from the delivery. We typically get around 15 cages of delivery a day which would take around 7 hours to put out with the average of 3 people working on it. If I am working a morning shift, I will be putting out fresh stock which is a lot easier than ambient stock because there isn't as much of it. Besides putting out stock, I will either be helping out on till, taking off due dates out of the fridges, or reducing stock that is close to it's use by date. It is a very hard working job which most people put their all into.
The management however can be very lazy. They don't usually help out on the shop floor when we are busy and need more staff, and they aren't very good at organising staff time off, or paying staff the correct amount. They have had lots of problems with underpaying staff. They usually spend their time in the offices chatting amongst each other, but besides this, they are very polite to all workers, and do sometimes get involved when necessary.
Most people in work get along with each other in separate age groups, however, I would say that the younger workers get along a lot better with each other than what they do with older staff members. There are a few people that are very nosy and love to gossip but besides that, I'd say that Booths has a friendly atmosphere.
There aren't many hard parts of the job. I would say the only time I find working difficult is when there are lots of customers, like on a Saturday for example. This is because shop floor assistants are needed all over the shop to help
  more... customers find things, helping out on the tills when there are queues, but also trying to put out stock when there are lots of customers in the way can be extremely difficult, especially around Christmas time!
What I like most about the job is the friendships created. I would say that the people you have the same shifts as are the people you relate to the most and can built good friendships with, no matter what the age difference. By doing the same thing, you seem to have lots in common which is good. I also think I am good with customers so I do like interacting with the customers and getting to speak to new people!
Pros
The breaks are excellent, we sometimes get free food from sampling or when things won't sell and are nearly at their due date.
Cons
Irregular hours, and miserable staff that love to gossip! Unorganised management too.
Very little care for staff
Cafe Worker (Former Employee) –  Windermere, Cumbria30 October 2017
This company claims in its job advertisements to be a 'family company' and is all about the 'family feel'. Booths use to be a family business but it's gotten so popular now that they care very little about their workers and only about the money. They have so many different requirements that management have to meet in place that it ends up that you don't get the holiday that you were promised or end up having to take time off at your own expense (even though you booked it way in advance) because there are too many people off that week and it would go over their allowances as a department in the store. I could tolerate working here part-time because of the wage but working here full time was the worst decision I ever made and I would not recommend it. It's very clear that the management couldn't care less about you and all they want is a bonus for meeting their quotas. If you're ill and can prove that you're ill from the doctor they still try and guilt you into working and threaten you with a written warning. Horrible bunch of people which is such a shame because I used to love shopping there. Would not recommend working here - find somewhere else. Not worth what you'll go through.
Avoid
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  England15 October 2017
The once great employer of the year (I forget which year that was... irony perhaps).

I worked with Booths supermarket for over 5 years. I worked from General Assistant to Supervisor, I watched as staff left in large numbers, not just the part timers who had school, college or other commitments but staff who had been there 3 or more years.

I watched the management structure change and lost many trusted colleagues in the process to be left with a team struggling to deliver good customer service even on a quiet day.

after a christmas disaster, and a long slog through the year I finally made up my mind to leave and started a new life with a better job.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long hours, not enough staff
Under valued staff
HGV 2 Driver (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire28 September 2017
I’ll start by saying it’s not the worst company in the world but they do seem to have a way of grinding people down, the management is the least proactive I have ever worked for, with things such as H&S and new procedures taking an obnoxious amount of time to implement, many of the management team have a complete disrespect for the staff, 8hr shifts often exceed 10hrs and 10hr shifts often exceed 12hrs with absolutely no regard for work life balance or staff moral. Overtime is paid at time and a half but it doesn’t make up for the late nights and early mornings and lack of family time. The thing that makes the job bareable are the coworkers, I have never worked with a greater bunch of people before.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Forced overtime, poor management, inexperienced supervisors, lack of respect
Great colleagues; wonderful range of produce
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fylde, Lancashire6 September 2017
Best part of the job in my role as Supervisor was my role in staff support and development. I'd have enjoyed developing this.
Customer care was essential for me. This aspect became less important than re-merchandising.
Organisational changes, essential as a result of retail challenges, were implemented without staff involvement and prior information.
Pros
Staff discount. Tea/coffee/milk provided for staff breaks.
Cons
Change in shift pattern.
A great place to work
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longton, Lancashire3 September 2017
I enjoyed working at booths as it offered contracted hours and also the possibility of over time. The people i worked with really made the job as I got along very well with the whole team. the management was great.
Rubbish
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston2 September 2017
Worked there for 5 years at first it was good then they changed the managment, big mistake bad hours poor pay did not get paid for hours worked would not recommend at all
Pros
Cons
Did not get paid for any over time
factory and driving work
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Bispham, Lancashire28 August 2017
this palce is ok and has some really nice people who work there but wages are not great and its the usual factory work over and over and over again, if you like that then its ok to work here.
Pros
good hours
Cons
monnotanous work
OK for someone who likes to work alone/take initiative
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Garstang, Lancashire19 July 2017
Good job for a part time worker in higher education. Job consists of preparing food, cleaning, and general customer service. Management has alot of turnover so you may never know who is directly above you. Hardest part of the Job is living with the Incompetent management as you will not find anyone to help you after 4pm. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly counter staff.
Pros
No supervision/ use your own initiative
Cons
Bad management and constant staff turnover
Unprofessional and anything goes!
Checkouts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chorley North West, Lancashire27 June 2017
I would not recommend Booths an an employer. I was ill last year and awaiting an operation and my confidential details regarding my illness were told to all the staff and they made me work harder than ever when I wasn't fit to work. I found the supervisors very unprofessional and not lenient with me at all.
Satisfactory as a voluntary placement
Retail/Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrowford, UK26 May 2017
I have worked in retail as a volunteer for a number of charity organisations and I am highly experienced in all aspects of retail. I enjoyed the four week placement at Booths because it was different to working as a volunteer. I helped customers and dealt with any problems as well as pricing, tagging and working in despatch. In my other voluntary placements I have got to know my regular customers so I particularly enjoyed meeting new ones and using my customer service skills. I would say that this was the hardest part of the job because it was a different environment. Retail is my passion and I am looking forward to making it my new career.

A typical day at work started with a pep talk with the team regarding the presentation of the shop and stock. Jobs were allocated on a rota system so that we all got to do everything needed. We had to use our own initiative when there were spills or breakages to make sure it was safe. Other tasks included date checking and checking for any damage to the products, replenishing and rotating stock. I learned about customer relations and the relationships with other staff and management on a professional level. I was used to working with non-perishable goods and I learned how time consuming and important it is to make sure that perishable goods meet all the legal requirements.
Pros
The experience
Cons
No job prospects
Productive and fun
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hale Barns14 April 2017
It was a good place to work because of the other colleagues, however I often became quite exasperated with pushy customers. Most of the managers were ok, however some of the supervisors would ask too much and annoy the general assistants.
Friendly enough workplace but ultimately undervalued and little encouragement for progression
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chorley, Lancashire30 March 2017
The enjoyment of the job has simply all depended on the management in place at the time. As it stands the current management at my store are all hardworking and offer encouragement when they can but the constant changes from store to store means that there is a change at least every few months and I have experienced certain higher personnel that have failed to treat staff with the respect that their efforts deserve. Good job if you enjoy interacting with people on a day to day basis but I feel that the perks of the job end there. Possibly the only supermarket to only offer minimum wage to staff yet there is a demand for the very best service. Also a real lack of opportunities in terms of career advancement within the company. Certainly such opportunities are not encouraged on staff and training for new staff is poor.
Pros
Good for interacting with customers, 20% discount for employees
Cons
Underpaid, lack of advancement opportunities, poor training for new staff