Booker Wholesale Employee Reviews

Nitemare, never again
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset16 May 2018
After 15years of service my contract was terminated after my child had secondary cancer!! No empathy what so ever..when i started employment there late 90,s a very child/family friendly company ect..as the years went by and so many management changes it just got worse..staff turnover was always high, shame as i enjoyed the varied jobs i did across the whole shop floor and many of the staff and customers became good friends over the years
Pros
Cons
loads
Oban Booker Wholesale
Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oban,10 May 2018
Never work here this place is a disaster. The boss is a power hungry bully with a greed problem. Avoid at all cost! Higher CEO's should be notified of the Bosses passive aggressive behaviour as the vast majority of staff and customers are extremely dissatisfied.
Pros
Cons
Management, salary, contracts, Hpw
Terrible
Driver (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands10 May 2018
left waiting for over an hour in the canteen on my interview was a sign but I decided to give it a go anyway. The place is a shambles. Long hours, no lunch breaks, impossible targets, unrealistic time limits, van has a black box, unpaid overtime, very heavy demanding work,highly stressful, have to bear the brunt of customers frustration with the company, problems are passed around instead of being solved, some customers expect you to carry deliveries up stairs, long winded process before you actually go out on your deliveries, too many regulations and paper work, expected to pick because the orders are never ready, some places dont have a service area so you have to walk with goods. you're not told if a business has a new name so you just have to try and figure things out. Booker has to be the worst company I have ever worked for. If you're after a delivery job, booker is not the place.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Too many
Awful place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire9 May 2018
Very very poor place to work management speak to and treat drivers awfully management spend most of there time picking orders because there short staffed or behind management offer overtime then don’t pay it offer you a day off in return then don’t give you it
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Long hours unpaid overtime
Fantastic Company
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  South East27 April 2018
Worked for BOOKER for 9yrs working my way up to Area Manager in the South East. The CEO is without a doubt one of the most motivating and dynamic people I have worked for, this culture is driven down through the management structure. The hours can be long but are rewarding. I met many fantastic people in my time with BOOKER who have had a positive impact on my life Directors, Senior Managers and Colleagues. I have worked in various places around the world in retail and honestly can say BOOKER is the best to work for and the most forward thinking.
I left as I started my own business, the lessons I learnt at BOOKER I still use today.
Pros
Opportunity, Friendliness
Cons
Hours
Focused yet enjoyable
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire19 April 2018
Management were very easy to talk to and were easy to get along with. Didn't mind having a laugh with each other as long as we got the work done. The hardest part of the job was meeting a desired pick rate which increased every time the majority of people met this. This was a very demanding task to meet for new employees as it was virtually impossible to do if they did not have the knowledge of product locations, quickest way to wrap pallets ect. However, as I was also faced with this problem at the beginning, I soon picked up the most efficient ways to do things and gained my product knowledge being able to locate almost any item in the warehouse. Therefore, my pick rate per hour soon increased.
Pros
Working with down to Earth managers.
Cons
Pick rate treated as being more important than workers being physically fatigued.
Avonmouth Branch
Supervisor picker/packer (Former Employee) –  Bristol10 April 2018
Don’t even waste your time down this dive! The place is invested with dirt, useless managers and vermin. The managers don’t give 2pence. The branch assistants pretty much run the day to Day down there, only decent members of staff are in the deliveries other than than that all the staff have there fingers in each others pies and there all sly, Which they only work when the big bosses came in, it was like they pulled a film over there eyes and shown them a false business.
Focussed and well managed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grantham30 March 2018
From the top of the company to local leaders, management ensured objectives and tasks were completed to a high standard. Support was given where necessary and good practice was rewarded.
Pros
Performance related bonuses
Cons
Underperformance of some staff not dealt with consistently
Worst company ever
Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Claph21 March 2018
They are the worst company ever. They always are missing stuff and they don't advise you and sometimes they won't even give you a refund. Now they put the minimum order at £200, otherwise they won't deliver to you which is ridiculous from a big company like them where before the minimum use to be £100, and in case you was under the £100, they was charging £5 to deliver it,and at least they were delivering to you. There are better companies than booker like bidvest.
Very disappointed
Good pay, not a lot of empathy
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston super mare9 March 2018
It started as amazing place to work especially as I am in college weekly pay at a rate of £7.60 an hour of 15 hour contract so minimum was getting £114 a week. The early starts were ridiculous if I had college the day before, had a lot of family issues so one day couldn’t attend my shift and got fired. The fact you only get 3 sick days a year is a joke and they told me I’d get paid for my wages only to find out I wasn’t being paid. Overall good management and friendly environment and easy work just lack in staff empathy.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Lack of empathy
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire28 February 2018
Replenish the shop ready for customers serve customers and deal with any problems they have keep the shop clean and tidy at all times ................
Work you till your dead
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough26 February 2018
I worked for bookers for for a year or two and it is shocking magement treat you like robots and you are not allowed to be sick At all. You are expected to work over your hours and not get paid, if you like breaks you can forgot about it they will take deduct you wage for breaks but you will have no chance for them and be made to feel like garbage if you do take them.This place will work you till you drop and still give you a warning for it. AVOID
Pros
Ok staff but only if you fit in
Cons
Almost everything
Over worked
Branch assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside20 February 2018
Worked in Liverpool branch for few years, place has been getting worse over last six months. You are EXPECTED to work over your hours and will get paid your overtime when they feel like. You will be deducted for your breaks, which you will not take as its too chaotic here.if you say you cant work late the branch manager gets involved and will lead to a warning or worse. If your face doesnt fit here, your on borrowed time i think.
Too many bosses who are out to show what they can do, like making a mess of the reception area, making it less secure., and moving the shelving every other day it feels like . If you keep your head down and do your work, dont object to anything, get in with the management clique you will be fine, to a point .
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Long hours, management
A good productive workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham17 February 2018
I was placed at Booker Wholesale as part of a 6 month workplace experience programme by the job centre, overall the workplace environment was pleasant and the managers did a good job of keeping productivity high and maintaining good morale.
Pros
easy and straight forward tasks
Cons
repetative work
Delivery person
Delivery Driver/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Ipswich14 February 2018
This was my first time at booker, done various tasks. Delivery driving, delivery picking, filling shelves and serving customers as well as tobacco room. Loved this job and left to have a baby.
Pros
Being able to purchase from the warehouse.
Cons
Some days could be very tiring.
Driver
Multi Drop Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent7 February 2018
Terrible place to work your employed as a van driver for 38 hours but every week you go over your hours and don't get paid for it unrealistic targets bad managment honestly steer well clear of this job
Pros
Free tea and toast
Cons
Lobg hours. Low pay. Unrealistic targets. Bad managment.
What a dump
Dogsbody (Former Employee) –  Outside M256 February 2018
Never receive any support from any management, training is non existent and when you question anyone who is senior to you, you’re looked at like dirt and told just to get it dealt with. Poorest management I’ve ever worked under. Don’t apply unless you hate your family and friends, don’t want to do anything but work and you can crawl round management to make it look better for yourself. Absolutely awful place.
The only thing that is good, you get to meet some great people. Some of the customers are really great but most of them are crooks. Most of the staff are great but anyone who works hard is treated like dirt but the lazy ones are thought highly of. Pathetic place.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Rubbish management
No fun
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire5 February 2018
Poor communication from management some lazy staff members always cutting corners to get job done everything is about discipline no overtime played and no thanks for working over your hours
Pros
Non
Cons
Lots
Hated it
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Aberystwyth, Ceredigion4 February 2018
I worked there for nearly 3 years started off ok but begain to notice lots of things management were not helpful at all constant back stabbing around the warehouse place was dirty for a food warehouse
Pros
Work bonus
Cons
Holidays working hours
Gateshead where you carry the bone idle
Stock Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear14 January 2018
If you want to carry lazy members of staff and deal with a childish manager who can't add up and has the iq of a slug feel free to apply to this dive of a depot.
Don't expect a regular wage that's accurate expect a manager who tells stories behind your back expect one who favours his pal and too scared to challenge the bone idle, expect to be given items to work with that don't work pallet trucks and cages don't expect safety equipment that's any good day shift may be run OK but nightshift is run like a complete joke.
Pros
Going home or having holidays in for the whole week
Cons
Turning up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booker Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8