Booker Wholesale Employee Reviews

Poor management , poor organisation !
HGV Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire12 August 2018
No organisation and always expected to do more than your contracted hours as well as other people’s jobs . Needed to threaten them with legal action to get money owed from over worked hours other wise your actually working for a minimum wage as some drivers did .
If you want a job as a class 2 driver /picker /transport manger and loader doing more than 45 hours a week with no overtime pay then this is the job for you.
Pros
Fellow workers a good laugh, cpc paid for !
Cons
Everything else plus what you wouldn’t expect from a hgv job !
Hgc class 2
HGV Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Ipswich suffolk11 August 2018
Class 2 hgv driving at Booker wholesale in Ipswich, highly physical demanding role but a good source of back up from staff work collegues if needed. Sessional hours with long hours in the summer 45 in the winter.
Good rates of pay highly recommend.
My time at Booker
Delivery Picker (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk7 August 2018
I enjoyed my time at Booker in Ipswich. The staff and management were friendly and approachable, and even thou I had never previously worked in wholesale warehouse, they all made me fill welcome.

I was disappointed when the contract was over and I would have like to have stayed, but it was not to be.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Job was not full-time and permanent.
it was a fun job and i gain lots of experience that is well deserve.
cashier, customer assistant, reception cover. (Former Employee) –  London7 August 2018
this was my first job, i was there for 3 and half years. for me it was exciting and fun, this jlb keep me active lifting and moving quick. at the same time was keeping fit and learning how to deal with customers, also it thought me a lot about problem solving and how to work under pressure. i work well with individual from varied background, i learn to adapt and see my self in someone else shoe, learning not to jump to conclusion without making the wrong decision.
Broken Promise and unequal pay
Associate (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire4 August 2018
You will be treated like rubbish, never thanked and paid less than other people doing the same job.
Stay away from Aldershot bookers, do any other job but this
Cons
Unequal pay
Booker Wholesale Oban
Branch (Current Employee) –  Oban, Argyll and Bute31 July 2018
I have worked here a few seasons and haven't had any problems aslong as your not shy of hard work.I've also learned some new skills and found the induction and training very helpful.Management will challenge you if your not doing what's expected but overall i found them to be fair and approachable.
Pros
Had customer satisfaction bonus a few times
Cons
small contract hours
Hard but fun
Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Kirkcaldy, Fife17 July 2018
Other than having to fight for my overtime every week and management being ridiculous in their idea of reasonable work loads I actually liked this job
Great experience
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delivery, restock, tills, product picking.13 July 2018
Since leaving Booker I do miss working there. It was a great environment to learn skills. I learned a range of things to do with retail and wholesale which i will never forget.
some very nice ppl at bookers
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 July 2018
I did enjoy working at bookers cash and carry gorton, i was a very new experience for me working for an employer rather then being a employer i learnt some new customer service skills .
Hard work but good laugh
Delivery ppicker icjet (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside8 July 2018
Worked in Birkenhead branch. Found it very tough at first. The systems are ancient. Got used to it...eventually . Other staff were friendly and managers were sound. The place was always busy and had good banter. I had to leave as DWP took benefits off me. So i was worse off no point coming to work.
Pros
banter
Cons
systems ancient
Can be ok
Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire5 July 2018
Lasted just over 6 months runs weren't too bad before the new system came in. But now there worse then ever, suppose to of got better but the opposite. Planning was terrible. Waiting for your load most days due to short on pickers. Basic pay is great if you can keep within your 45 hours however if you were to go over them over a period of 4 weeks your suppose to get paid the extra or a day or so off... some occasions I didnt get either would take weeks to get the overtime sorted and alot of the time when you do get it they dont always pay overtime rate of time and half so always check your pay slip ! Most of the staff are friendly good team that are over worked due to not being able to keep staff. Always made false promises by a certain manager.
Pros
Good basic pay for a class 2 job. Friendly staff
Cons
Rubbish planning, Always waiting for your load to be ready, Never paid your overtime on time, when you get it they dont put it through as time and a half, False promises by the manager.
Friendly people but very hard work
Driver class 2 (Former Employee) –  Avonmouth2 July 2018
Multi drop driver. Management approachable but weak. Over weight and badly loaded cages and pallets. Complain all you want, nothing changes. 38 hour basic week rarely if ever happens, it's always more.
Definitely a young mans job.
Pros
Hourly rate for class 2
Cons
Very heavy work and disorganised.
Horrific place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne28 June 2018
The area manager is a complete joke. Stays in store and has no management capabilities. Every department is understaffed and overworked due to a lack of management
warehouse worker cardiff
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  cardiff18 June 2018
i worked for bookers for 4 years it was ok at first then new manager took over he was a complete waste of time tried bullying and the receptionist was a childish tart also the warehouse was stinking avoid working there
Pros
Cons
horrible manager
Management are awful.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Haydock, Merseyside6 June 2018
Worked at Booker for many years. Met some great people who I can now call close friends. Worked 40 hours a week with every Saturday off and one other day. The work is easy enough but the only downside to the place is the management. They are constantly on your back and you cant even pass wind without fear of getting a counselling off them. I can only assume it'll be worse after the recent merger with Tesco. Still if you can cope with that then it is a good place to work, better than most warehouses. Both shifts are quite cliquey so be aware of this when applying.
Pros
make good work mates
Cons
pre historic management always on your back
Productive and Fun Workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth, Norfolk2 June 2018
Whilst i was working at bookers they offered me endless opportunity's to better myself and also taught me a wide range of skills that i use almost in every day to day life. Best part of the job was the staff as they were highly friendly
Pros
Store Discount
Cons
Working Weekends
good chance gain new skills
branch assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 May 2018
There are no typical days at booker
I learned that if you are willing to put the hours in you can gain extra skills
The management in store are challenging ,demanding
The job involves heavy lifting and physical fitness is essentiall
Most enjoyable part for me was the variety every day and customer interactions
Cons
lots
Generally staff are lovely, management are not
Branch Assistant and Relief Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield21 May 2018
Been at Booker now for almost 2 years. I would not recommend to anybody with half a brain.
Management expect you to turn a blind eye or go along with their illegal activity, such as stealing stock and logging it as damages, and that's the only way to progress here.
Management are extremely lax, meaning there's no reward for working hard, until Directors are visiting. Only at that point do they clamp down on standards, but some have been slacking for weeks at that point, giving those of us that actually work far more to do.

Recently got 2 new Supervisors at our branch; one of which has been caught stealing multiple times, and has assaulted other staff members, and the second wrote off a delivery van and was banned from driving for being over the limit.
Pros
Good Working Relationships
Cons
Poor Management, No incentives to work, Treated the same irrespective of how much you do
each to their own
Wearhouse operative (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire17 May 2018
I found Booker to be a great place to work but like any job you get fed up after a while and as i was on the night shift i left but its ok for some just not me
Pros
free coffee tea & other drinks plus 10% off all product
Nitemare, never again
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset16 May 2018
After 15years of service my contract was terminated after my child had secondary cancer!! No empathy what so ever..when i started employment there late 90,s a very child/family friendly company ect..as the years went by and so many management changes it just got worse..staff turnover was always high, shame as i enjoyed the varied jobs i did across the whole shop floor and many of the staff and customers became good friends over the years
Pros
Cons
loads

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booker Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9