Booker Wholesale Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Llandudno Junction22 October 2018
I only worked at Booker for around 6 months, however in that short time I learn't a lot. It is a very fast paced store so you're always busy, however it teaches you to deal with high pressure situations, being as efficient as possible whilst remaining whilst still delivering a high level of customer service. The management at the store I was at were very good, the area manager in particular was helpful and approachable.
the only downside to this job was the hours were pretty unpredictable.
Pros
Great experience, great management, fun place to work.
racism and harassment
Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, Greater London18 October 2018
I experienced extreme racism and bullying at this company. I worked in the tottenham branch. The managers lied to me and criticized my work performance. the company was rude and made me a mockery.
Pros
nothing
Cons
managers rude and racist
Rubbish managers
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire15 October 2018
Avoid at all cost. Management full of lies. Toxic ☠☠. Disgusting excuses of management. Had good staff till we all left because of them. Gone through 15/20 staff in one year, DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.
Hgv class2 driver hard work no pay overtime no pay on time
Class2 (Former Employee) –  Peterborough13 October 2018
Always fake promice , no pay overtime , u have to do someels job .menagment no organise anything never work there still waiting foe money alleray 4week :/
Pros
Cons
Long hours no overtime pay
Could be great but needs to try harder
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  North West6 October 2018
Store managers with zero charisma.
Problems are with senior management been in place too long.
My line manager was having an affair with a colleague. I caught them and was sacked following a farcical disciplinary process.
They are both still there.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Run by clowns
Hard working but also enjoyable.
Delivery Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire30 September 2018
Booker Wholesale is a very difficult place to work but at the same time a very fun and enjoyable place to work. Staff and daily customers are very friendly.
Butcher
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire28 September 2018
Lacking innovation, falling behind against other competitors due to production being outsourced. Why employ skilled professionals to open a box? Management and corporate staff only have experience of wearing a tie & brown nosing. All show no substance / doesn't even have show as the branding is diabolical &what stores what they have (warehouses essentially) are dilapidated. I'm still open to a sensible offer from them but it was a good inbetweener.
Pros
Easy run and not strict
Cons
potential
Hard work and bad atmosphere
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 September 2018
Cons
-Longer shifts than most other retail jobs with early starts expected
-Work is physically demanding, not a problem for me but you have to be fit to do this job - demanding targets
-Fight for overtime - despite having a clock-in/clock-out system they just pay you your contracted hours so you have to speak to somebody which can be a bore
-The nature of the different departments and how the store is organised means that the different departments (replen, deliveries, front of house) often get in each others way. You'll be called to tills or to pick and expected to do so even if this hinders your team. This can create a pretty toxic atmosphere with slagging off the norm.
-As far as I can tell store management add little value with the actual work all being done by the department supervisors. Store manager/area manager/HR manager/Customer relations manager are pretty bone idle

Pros
-Well paid for what it is - a £2.50 p/h raise on my last job at another well-known retailer which adds up over 48 weeks
-Departmental supervisors all know what they're doing and are efficient, basically make-up for the pretty useless higher-ups
-Good job for young blokes - no qualifications needed you can just get stuck in and supervisors all worked their way up from more junior roles as well.
-Good banter within my department even if there's tension with the others
Underpaid
Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon11 September 2018
High turn over rate of staff so constantly having to train new people.

Stupid rules for staff but don't apply to lazy managers. For example you will have to transfer a trolley for 3 items but a manager on tills wont transfer at all.

Constantly called to tills when trying to pick or do pallets etc. Especially annoying when managers are sat around doing nothing

Locking up will mean that we don't get out until at LEAST 10 past every day, however we never get paid for that extra time after closing.

Customers and sales will always come first so people can come in 5 minutes before we close and we can't do anything about it. No customer announcements or shutting the doors early.

Over time isn't appreciated by staff and instead is expected.
Pros
Pride bonus if satisfaction scores are good (usually not due to new staff, slow deliveries etc)
Cons
Not paid for extra time spent at work after close.
Hard work force but fun
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Paignton, Devon11 September 2018
Hard work but good to work for. Great management/supervisors behind the scenes and a great hard working team. close customer relationship I recommend this branch to anyone wishing to work for booker wholesale.
Pros
Layed back and get to eat choclolate and cakes.
Was ok at first
Genral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol28 August 2018
Previously left the company as have a new job with more hours and more pay.

Left because was being messed about one minute was on tills then put on replen and then picking but whilst picking was taken off there early morning to go down on tills for rest of the day as no till staff.
Pros
10% off products
Cons
Management certain staff members
15 years out of date
driver (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire24 August 2018
lorries are rubbish.management live in the past.
will not listen to drivers.
overtime available.
BUT you only get paid 5 hrs.
rest of overtime goes into lieu,
which management decide when you can take off
6 weeks notice for holidays due to rota
Pros
free coffee
Cons
bad organisation
Find a job elsewhere
Driver (Former Employee) –  Midlands23 August 2018
If you want 55-60 hours a week n get paid for 45 welcome to bookers.
Back breaking work for average pay.
I regret joining,
High turn over of staff for some reason!!!!
Pros
Cons
Many
Good job, can be tedious
Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester22 August 2018
People at work made it a good job
Easy job to do but can be stressful as lot of manual handeling
Managment can be a bit disorganised
Have be a competative to get people to work better which is nice
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Can be repetitive
Love meeting new peope and knowing no two days are the same
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crayford18 August 2018
I love working at Bookers, meeting new customers on a daily basis makes no two days the same so there is always new experiences to be had.
I take payments from customers which I then count and input into the computer system under the clients details.
The Management can be helpful at times but I try to deal with any matters / situation that may arise on a daily basis.
The hardest part of the job is having to deal with some members of my team.
The most enjoyable part are my customers.
Pros
penstions and shares in the company and some bonuses
Poor management , poor organisation !
HGV Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire12 August 2018
No organisation and always expected to do more than your contracted hours as well as other people’s jobs . Needed to threaten them with legal action to get money owed from over worked hours other wise your actually working for a minimum wage as some drivers did .
If you want a job as a class 2 driver /picker /transport manger and loader doing more than 45 hours a week with no overtime pay then this is the job for you.
Pros
Fellow workers a good laugh, cpc paid for !
Cons
Everything else plus what you wouldn’t expect from a hgv job !
Hgc class 2
HGV Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Ipswich suffolk11 August 2018
Class 2 hgv driving at Booker wholesale in Ipswich, highly physical demanding role but a good source of back up from staff work collegues if needed. Sessional hours with long hours in the summer 45 in the winter.
Good rates of pay highly recommend.
Challenging Role
Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands8 August 2018
Never a dull day - lots of different roles to fulfill during the course of an 'average' day in a Booker store. Picker, delivery driver, till operative, replenishment to name a few, as well as being responsible for making sure the store runs in a health, safe and legal manner. A lot is expected - a long day is a 'standard' day, with weekends included.

People and customers are the best thing about the job, unfortunately the work/life balance is poor.
My time at Booker
Delivery Picker (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk7 August 2018
I enjoyed my time at Booker in Ipswich. The staff and management were friendly and approachable, and even thou I had never previously worked in wholesale warehouse, they all made me fill welcome.

I was disappointed when the contract was over and I would have like to have stayed, but it was not to be.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Job was not full-time and permanent.
it was a fun job and i gain lots of experience that is well deserve.
cashier, customer assistant, reception cover. (Former Employee) –  London7 August 2018
this was my first job, i was there for 3 and half years. for me it was exciting and fun, this jlb keep me active lifting and moving quick. at the same time was keeping fit and learning how to deal with customers, also it thought me a lot about problem solving and how to work under pressure. i work well with individual from varied background, i learn to adapt and see my self in someone else shoe, learning not to jump to conclusion without making the wrong decision.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booker Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9