Booker Wholesale Employee Reviews

Avoid the butchery its a fraud
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross22 November 2018
Trainee's do not go here the certificate you receive is only valid in booker you are NOT trained to bone anything it all comes in boxes and honestly the butchery manager is totally clueless trust me i have 20 years experience and i have forgotten more than he knows.
Management treat u like rubbish. And do nothing the wages are lies its minimum wage please avoid
Pros
Cons
Every aspect
Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Haydock, Merseyside18 November 2018
I work at booker haydock as a security officer, I enjoyed the work it's self and made some good friends. But booker management will stab you in the back any chance they get and will not think twice about sacking you. All management care about is them selfs.
Pros
Made good friends
Cons
Long hours and poor pay. Management
Branch assistant leigh
Branch assistant (Former Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire13 November 2018
Worst place to work management staff far to lazy not worth the pay. Felt like a prison. If tills wasnt exact all the time you will get pulled in to managers office. They always blame you, Never anyone else or themselves. If you stand up to them for being treated unfairly you are out on your rear before you have even started. Always being called to till while in the middle of another job while other till staff stand around and do nothing, but playing on their phones even though they shouldn't have them on shop floor. Worst place to work don't even consider it.
Pros
Cons
Rubbish pay, lazy management, selfishness through out the store
Absolute c r a p place to work
Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redhill, Surrey7 November 2018
Having worked here for a few years, no job satisfaction, whatever you do is not good enough management only care about their bonuses and not about the staff morale
Pros
Cons
Like being in a prison
Current employee
Delivery Driver Multi Drop (Current Employee) –  South East2 November 2018
Booker wholesale is not the place you want to be if you want a well payed secure job where you feel valued
They overwork you contract you for 45 hours per week but will work you over that and not pay you overtime.
If you don't bend over backwards for them then they make life difficult and unbearable for you to try and make you leave and if that doesn't work then they will discipline you for the most minor incidents and try to dismiss you through that method
The management and supervisory staff eat rule books for breakfast the font value their staff their attitude is there's always another driver around the corner they have a consistent turn over of staff that leave within 1 year the depot I work at the is only 1 driver that's been there over a year they'll make you sign never ending health and safety paperwork but when it comes to your health and safety they don't care vehicle defects are left unrepaired because the delivery manager doesn't want to dip into his budget but they constantly waste money elsewhere WARNING if you value your health safety sanity and homelife do not work for this company
Pros
Cons
Long hours, overtime worked but not paid, health and safety of staff constantly overlooked, managers speak to and treat staff badly and do the same to their customers too
Terrible place to work...
Driver/Picker/Packer/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire29 October 2018
My training day was not paid.

You are regularly expected to do more than your contracted hours.

Overtime pay is never paid on time, then they forget to pay time and a half when you worked over 38 hours.

Overtime is not appreciated, but is always expected.

Always asked to work your day off then questioned why you can't if you say no.

Managers tell you that wages are time and a half or double pay to convince you to do overtime then they do not pay double so you lose money.

The hourly pick rate is far too high.

Not enough pickers use Powered Pallet Trucks and it will take forever for the company to get you a licence.

The wrist/forearm mounts for the scanners are never washed.

The roof is also falling apart so if you plan to work here I recommend bringing a hard hat.
Pros
Free hot drinks and out of date crisps from the staff room
Cons
Unpaid overtime
Worse job i have ever had
Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 October 2018
Never work for this company, extremely poor management never get paid for overtime, expect to work at least 10 to 12 hours a day but only get paid for 8 , I resigned after one month as place was a complete shambles, would not recommend working here even to my worst enemy, stay away you can do better.
Pros
Cons
P*ss poor management
Paid next to nothing!
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire25 October 2018
Expect to run around for peanuts. Not appreciated by management for slogging your guts out. Don't care about family issues when need time off to sort the issues.
Pros
some great people there
Cons
awful management
Discrimination
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 October 2018
If your autistic or special needs don’t bother applying you get picked on by manager and the manager doesn’t tell any of the supervisors so they pick on you too they only have you for three months then they get rid of you and the worse bit about it is that your just a number there but the staff are amazing a laugh good people to work with it but the management just don’t care
Pros
Staff and the cafe
Cons
Long hours and the management
Enjoyable place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Llandudno Junction22 October 2018
I only worked at Booker for around 6 months, however in that short time I learn't a lot. It is a very fast paced store so you're always busy, however it teaches you to deal with high pressure situations, being as efficient as possible whilst remaining whilst still delivering a high level of customer service. The management at the store I was at were very good, the area manager in particular was helpful and approachable.
the only downside to this job was the hours were pretty unpredictable.
Pros
Great experience, great management, fun place to work.
racism and harassment
Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, Greater London18 October 2018
I experienced extreme racism and bullying at this company. I worked in the tottenham branch. The managers lied to me and criticized my work performance. the company was rude and made me a mockery.
Pros
nothing
Cons
managers rude and racist
Old systems and no organisation
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Wavertree16 October 2018
The Liverpool, Wavertree site I worked for as a Delivery Driver and when I first arrived I was told I was the only person who turned up for interview and they have a high turn over of staff. They over load your van, force overtime on you and pay pocket change. It could be better but at the moment I wouldn't bother with them.
Pros
Free sandwiches from customers
Cons
forced overtime and bad management
Rubbish managers
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire15 October 2018
Avoid at all cost. Management full of lies. Toxic ☠☠. Disgusting excuses of management. Had good staff till we all left because of them. Gone through 15/20 staff in one year, DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.
Hgv class2 driver hard work no pay overtime no pay on time
Class2 (Former Employee) –  Peterborough13 October 2018
Always fake promice , no pay overtime , u have to do someels job .menagment no organise anything never work there still waiting foe money alleray 4week :/
Pros
Cons
Long hours no overtime pay
Could be great but needs to try harder
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  North West6 October 2018
Store managers with zero charisma.
Problems are with senior management been in place too long.
My line manager was having an affair with a colleague. I caught them and was sacked following a farcical disciplinary process.
They are both still there.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Run by clowns
Hard working but also enjoyable.
Delivery Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire30 September 2018
Booker Wholesale is a very difficult place to work but at the same time a very fun and enjoyable place to work. Staff and daily customers are very friendly.
Butcher
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire28 September 2018
Lacking innovation, falling behind against other competitors due to production being outsourced. Why employ skilled professionals to open a box? Management and corporate staff only have experience of wearing a tie & brown nosing. All show no substance / doesn't even have show as the branding is diabolical &what stores what they have (warehouses essentially) are dilapidated. I'm still open to a sensible offer from them but it was a good inbetweener.
Pros
Easy run and not strict
Cons
potential
Hard work and bad atmosphere
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 September 2018
Cons
-Longer shifts than most other retail jobs with early starts expected
-Work is physically demanding, not a problem for me but you have to be fit to do this job - demanding targets
-Fight for overtime - despite having a clock-in/clock-out system they just pay you your contracted hours so you have to speak to somebody which can be a bore
-The nature of the different departments and how the store is organised means that the different departments (replen, deliveries, front of house) often get in each others way. You'll be called to tills or to pick and expected to do so even if this hinders your team. This can create a pretty toxic atmosphere with slagging off the norm.
-As far as I can tell store management add little value with the actual work all being done by the department supervisors. Store manager/area manager/HR manager/Customer relations manager are pretty bone idle

Pros
-Well paid for what it is - a £2.50 p/h raise on my last job at another well-known retailer which adds up over 48 weeks
-Departmental supervisors all know what they're doing and are efficient, basically make-up for the pretty useless higher-ups
-Good job for young blokes - no qualifications needed you can just get stuck in and supervisors all worked their way up from more junior roles as well.
-Good banter within my department even if there's tension with the others
Underpaid
Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon11 September 2018
High turn over rate of staff so constantly having to train new people.

Stupid rules for staff but don't apply to lazy managers. For example you will have to transfer a trolley for 3 items but a manager on tills wont transfer at all.

Constantly called to tills when trying to pick or do pallets etc. Especially annoying when managers are sat around doing nothing

Locking up will mean that we don't get out until at LEAST 10 past every day, however we never get paid for that extra time after closing.

Customers and sales will always come first so people can come in 5 minutes before we close and we can't do anything about it. No customer announcements or shutting the doors early.

Over time isn't appreciated by staff and instead is expected.
Pros
Pride bonus if satisfaction scores are good (usually not due to new staff, slow deliveries etc)
Cons
Not paid for extra time spent at work after close.
Hard work force but fun
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Paignton, Devon11 September 2018
Hard work but good to work for. Great management/supervisors behind the scenes and a great hard working team. close customer relationship I recommend this branch to anyone wishing to work for booker wholesale.
Pros
Layed back and get to eat choclolate and cakes.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booker Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8