Booker Wholesale Employee Reviews

Delivery person
Delivery Driver/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Ipswich14 February 2018
This was my first time at booker, done various tasks. Delivery driving, delivery picking, filling shelves and serving customers as well as tobacco room. Loved this job and left to have a baby.
Pros
Being able to purchase from the warehouse.
Cons
Some days could be very tiring.
Driver
Multi Drop Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent7 February 2018
Terrible place to work your employed as a van driver for 38 hours but every week you go over your hours and don't get paid for it unrealistic targets bad managment honestly steer well clear of this job
Pros
Free tea and toast
Cons
Lobg hours. Low pay. Unrealistic targets. Bad managment.
What a dump
Dogsbody (Former Employee) –  Outside M256 February 2018
Never receive any support from any management, training is non existent and when you question anyone who is senior to you, you’re looked at like dirt and told just to get it dealt with. Poorest management I’ve ever worked under. Don’t apply unless you hate your family and friends, don’t want to do anything but work and you can crawl round management to make it look better for yourself. Absolutely awful place.
The only thing that is good, you get to meet some great people. Some of the customers are really great but most of them are crooks. Most of the staff are great but anyone who works hard is treated like dirt but the lazy ones are thought highly of. Pathetic place.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Rubbish management
No fun
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire5 February 2018
Poor communication from management some lazy staff members always cutting corners to get job done everything is about discipline no overtime played and no thanks for working over your hours
Pros
Non
Cons
Lots
Hated it
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Aberystwyth, Ceredigion4 February 2018
I worked there for nearly 3 years started off ok but begain to notice lots of things management were not helpful at all constant back stabbing around the warehouse place was dirty for a food warehouse
Pros
Work bonus
Cons
Holidays working hours
worst place i have ever worked
Warehouse Assistant/driver (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne3 February 2018
I applied for a shop floor job and have so far spent most of my time covering for delivery's because they cant keep drivers the job sucks you have no breaks no time for a tea just non stop loading and unloading very back breaking work as there is never anything to put the stock in so its lose in the van and orders get mixed very easy management is a complete joke they only care about money, if you apply for tills or shop floor dont tell them you have a driving licence you will be forced to cover drivers when they quit which happens a lot i would avoid unless your really desperate for a job and want to be treated like poo.
Pros
Cons
Management and Pay
Gateshead where you carry the bone idle
Stock Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear14 January 2018
If you want to carry lazy members of staff and deal with a childish manager who can't add up and has the iq of a slug feel free to apply to this dive of a depot.
Don't expect a regular wage that's accurate expect a manager who tells stories behind your back expect one who favours his pal and too scared to challenge the bone idle, expect to be given items to work with that don't work pallet trucks and cages don't expect safety equipment that's any good day shift may be run OK but nightshift is run like a complete joke.
Pros
Going home or having holidays in for the whole week
Cons
Turning up
Gateshead Shocking to say the least
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear13 January 2018
If you want to be regularly ripped off with your wages, as the manager does them just can't add up or read his own sheets then blame someone else and ran into the ground feel free to apply to work at Gateshead where you are worked into the ground where the lazy are rewarded, where the children will be children worst place I've worked. health and safety is a non starter took them nearly a year to provide a pair of boots!! Majority of staff are on the graft Filthy canteen the toilets are even worse was job centre warns about people applying to this depot so be warned
Pros
Clocking out and going home
Cons
Turning up to the bedlam
slave drivers
Wholesale delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside12 January 2018
delivery driver..if you want a job where you are over worked,under paid and can't take breaks in order to meet demands then this is for you.treated like slaves. i was in the birkenhead branch..area manager was good,but the new manager was all for himself and expected us to work over our hours and not get paid! very hard work for very little money
Pros
meeting customers
Cons
long hours, rubbish pay. very hard work.
Interesting Learning Curve
Warehouse Operative (Team Leader) (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester11 January 2018
Under several different managers I have learned vast amounts in many different areas as I have worked in various parts of the business over the years. The hardest part of the job is to ensure that all members of staff are adhering to the guidelines set at all times. But overall, it's a good stable company to work for.

Want to know more about Booker Wholesale?

Ask a question
Catering Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham5 January 2018
Excellent and diverse range of products to sell and wide variety of customers.

Expected to work some weekends and bank holidays but days given off in lieu.
Pros
Good staff discount.
Neither nothing nor something.
Dole Slave (Former Employee) –  Workington, Cumbria4 January 2018
Would've been somewhat okay if I got paid a wage for it. Whilst here I endlessly stacked shelves. Endlessly. The folk working there were alright, and the management seemed to have their favorites on full-time and the rest on part-time. Hardest part of the job was the fact I was a slave under another title. Thankfully I was only there for two weeks before finding work. If the dole send you here on a work placement, don't expect a job (same with anywhere really; they're not gonna hire you if they can get another freebie from the dole).

If I had been hired, it'd be an "It's a job" kinda job. Extremely monotonous, and I'd be glad to see the back of the place.
Pros
Beats unemployment - if you're getting paid.
Cons
Soul destroying if you aren't getting paid.
Refreshing
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire3 January 2018
I loved working here for the duration of my employment. However, I had to move and they couldn't be flexible with my hours (despite saying they would be). Would definitely work there again though. Would have stayed if I wouldn't have been late every day due to travel issues.
Pros
Staff discount. Understanding staff and management. Friendly environment.
Cons
Not much flexibility with hours (despite saying there would be).
Productive, hard working environment.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire21 December 2017
Ok company to work for, branch managers tend to be idiots who get the job because of who they know not what they know. Area managers only care when there is a visit from their bosses, rest of time they sit in their office phoning other area managers. Chances of progression are slim unless your face fits and you don't question the norm.
Pros
Good bunch of staff
Cons
Poor pay
Hard working place
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire19 December 2017
I didn’t enjoy working for this company, you weren’t treated well as an individual and if you had a problem it was always an issue to speak to a manager.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long houra
It’s okay
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London12 December 2017
I like this place as I learn alot from this company when I started I used to run fresh departments and unload deliveries with forklift and served customers on till
Pros
Cons
Not so good pay
Over worked, underpaid
HGV Driver (Former Employee) –  Chester11 December 2017
I found the job ok as I started. Modern vehicles and such, as time went on and it got busier the job got much harder. It is a very physically and demanding job at the end of a 10+ hour day often without breaks due to rushing around trying to get unrealistic deadlines finished. Customers expect pallets and cages handballing into shops. And a lot of the time your looked at or spoken to like dirt. The management are clueless and couldn’t organise the usual you know what in the where. So much so it’s like a comedy show
Pros
Wages at the end of the week
Cons
Underpaid for the work and stress
productive
Wholesale assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire30 October 2017
fast paced work environment
happy to help and serve customers as soon as they arrive at check outs
happy to help other departments as ive learnt how to pick customer orders, and replenish shop floor, became a co - ordinator in 6 months of being at booker, I became a part of the small management team and organised breaks and jobs
trained on floor cleaning machine
trained in reception
shop floor
tills
paypoint
cash office
Genuine good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire18 October 2017
Gutted I had to leave due to college, loved working there with a good competitive salary for a 17 year old. Enjoyed every minute working there and the staff and customers were lovely!
id rather be a traffic warden
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend16 October 2017
Wasted 7 years of my life here. About six and a half of those were spent trying to find a way out. The money is awful. Of you do manage to get a break you'll have someone timing you to the second when to come back but when you leave Hal an hour later than planned dont expect to be paid for it.
Management are usually externally sourced so have no idea about the products they're trying to sell or the systems in place for them to do so. By the time they find the time to peel themselves from eating in they're office to do so they get shipped on and the cycle continues.
Development is possible if by that you mean extra work and responsibility for no extra money. Supervisors only vacate by retirement or death by which time they decide they don't need as many supervisors anyway.
Long and short I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
Cons
long hours, tediousness, management, customers, high volume of cash, no life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booker Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8