Booker Group
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Booker Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom534 reviews
the job itself is stressful but can be very rewarding. its easy to get to by public transport (bus stop outside) and you do meet some lovely colleagues from all walks of life.

unfortunately, management is not supportive of its staff in anyway, though they pretend to be. The only important thing to management is the bottom line. This is made more apparent with the constant revolving door of staff and managers. often in a state of disarray things are magically pulled together for important visits from the "higher ups".

if you speak up about unfairness in anyway you are then a target. before you know it you are being pushed or shown through the revolving door yourself. i had to leave of my own accord for my own mental health's well being.

if you have a very thick skin you might be able to cope with the random aggression, degradation and belittling and ridicule that goes on. very cliquey.
Pros
10 percent discount in store and at tesco
Cons
stressful, badly managed, bullying culture low morale
Excellent company to work for was with them for 25 years before I left for family reasons but if I could have stayed I'm sure I would have been there until I retired , excellent pay and conditions and friendly colleagues
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Shift work which is mornings and afternoons. This is alot of heavy lifting and pallet work. Order picking to a scale so you can pick your speed up gradually, so you can pick the bonus required.
If you fancy working with Regional Directors who are just the worst kind of bullies, hypocrites and talentless wonders ,then Booker is the place for you.
Well where do we start
At first the job was OK, then management changes made it worse and worse.

Treated and spoken to like children, no support from management, unfair treatment of certain employees (if your face fits your laughing but if you stick up for yourself your life will be made unbearable).

Latest transport manager is a complete waste of space and doesn't listen to any concerns or issues you have, he also doesn't know how to do his job and he just spends most of his time sat in the transport office.

Higher management don't really care either, have a issue with anything regarding the job it's brushed under the carpet.

Health and safety is non exsistant, safe working practices don't exist either.

Absolute joke of a place, I wouldn't even wish my worst enemies to work here.
DON'T send your child here to work or go out of your own choice. The managers are terrible they talk to you like you are a misbehaved dog or something and they seem to look at you as rubbish (from personal experience) the trainers are amazing really nice people. One manager took me into a back room to speak and said what time do you finish and i said " 2:40" which he said ''no 2:50'' this didn't make sense as him along other managers would always line us up at the door and let us out at 2:35-2:45. He also tried to tell me I wasn't ever on time but when I replied ''i am it just takes me 10 minutes to find working equipment'' (so many items of equipment weren't working) he got angry. I said '' look if you want you can check the cameras to have proof i'm here everyday and that it really does take me about 5 times to find working stuff'' He got angry and started talking to me like i'm a bad dog again. I left and couldn't be happier. There 3 i had personal bad experiences with, one had medium combed to the side hair and I think was polish, the other two were bald with beards, if at HATFIELD bookers watch out for those 3 as they seem to think us workers are beneath them and will treat you like rubbish. They manage the ambient workers. If the general manager of Hatfield bookers sees this I suggest you re-think those 3 managers for nicer, more understanding managers then maybe workers will stop quitting after 3 weeks.
A well respected company in the wholesale and catering sector. Culturally and technologically a bit old fashioned, however people who work there are great and making organic changes.
Class 2 driver for 2 years now and I cannot see myself ever leaving the company. I have found a job where I do not dread going into work in the morning. I've had far worse jobs in the past. The transport management are good and if you look after them they will have no problems in looking after you (for instance if you need to finish early they will try where possible to put you on a short route)
Working for booker starts off ok but it soon goes downhill, management expect you to work hard for very little and with very little direction or help! Not to mention no pay for overtime and very little chance to get the time back.
Management are ready to throw you under the bus as not to make the company look bad at any given moment! They seem to have acquired their position as a token for time served rather than suitability for the job.
The whole place is unorganised and everyone is rude. Nobody cares for you or any of the customers. Food hygiene is very poor and checks are not carried out correctly. Management team pass each other the jobs instead of that “can do attitude”!!
Good luck to anyone
Worst company about. Expected to go above an beyond for minimum wage. No chance of progression. Management is a joke and couldn’t organise a pissup in a brewery.
I was css at my local depot. The first couple of years were great, loved it. Alot of learning and interaction with depot staff and our clients/customers.

Due to cost cutting, more and more work was placed on the supervisors to the point I felt I was unable to complete my job to a satisfactory level whilst having pressure from upper management.

I don't know what the company is like to work for now, but at the time it was very high pressure.
Really stressful supposed to a 8 hour shift. More like 10. Only 8 hours pay. No support just told to find a solution. Management constantly stab you in back. If your face dont fit. They pile on the pressure until you quit. Really wouldn't advise working for this company.
You would be given a pallet of stock and you would have to unload it all in a time frame.Then you would have another pallet to unload then this was my daily job role.
Please, if you are thinking of working here, consider this review first.

I worked here for over a year and it had to most disgusting and horrible management I have ever witnessed. Delivery Manager is a bully. Not approachable. Picker Manager is liar and will do everything in his power not to pay you and deceives EVERYONE with his continuous lies. He's manipulative and constantly makes false promises to you.

Three supervisors to do the same job? Lazy and nasty towards the pickers.

Why I left? I had no choice. To keep this short, they overworked me to the point where I had to take time off work due to stress. Picker Manager knew this. I did everything I was supposed to do and after 6 weeks, they refused to pay me. With all of the customers that tried to scam Booker, I was the one who stopped this and saved the company money. They knew this, yet still decided not to pay me.

Scum. I had bills to pay and Picker Manager decided to lie in order to save his own skin. Why would he do this?

I don't know. I would have gone further with the matter as I was treated completely unfairly (one rule for one, one rule for another), but unfortunately I knew I didn't have enough evidence.

Please don't work here. The place is a ticking time bomb.
Kept getting moved from 1 job to another, had no say in any changes at all, most of the other employees are immature, constantly making jokes daily, they ended up getting personal.
Pay quite rubbish,
A typical day would consist of serving customers regularly, stacking shelves to look presentable to customers, date checking products and checking in deliverers. Management is absolutely perfect at creating a friendly atmosphere so you feel comfortable and relaxed even in stressful situations, making it easier to complete your targets.
Poor organisation, total lack of communication. Every good practice for warehousing and picking totally ignored. Job made harder by poor equipment, badly designed pick routes, but worst of all the stock accuracy is almost non existent. Higher management unwilling to listen to any improvement suggestions. Constantly told there is no money available for improvements
Work for bookers for 6 month 70% of the time the cages are full up to the top and very heavy plus you have freezer boxes that are very heavy plus you have to empty yourself they tell that you don't but I will asure you that you gonna do it becouse on delivary nobody bothers
Managers don't even have a driving licence and they tell you how to do your job

You have to be a total idiot to accept 13.80 Per h

1870 To 1940 in hand
To strict slightest bump in dodgy floor and llop cuts out management take u off the truck do an investigation drug test way too strict plus if ur face dont fit u know about it.
Management useless and very 2faced
The experience was not the greatest, the work was hectic and unoragnised and the night shift was not for me however some may find this work not to difficult if they are nocturnal