BMI Healthcare Employee Reviews

Avoid at all costs
Helpline Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hillington, Glasgow2 August 2018
I worked for BMI Healthcare in the national enquiry centre as a helpline advisor. I would not recommend this job to anyone. The job itself is tedious, very repetitive and no praise from management when you succeed; only criticism when you fail. The wage is laughable, and they make bonus unreachable for most teams. Also information I had provided in confidence to senior staff was never kept in confidence, it found its way around the office. Very unprofessional. I don’t have anything good to say about this company, avoid at all costs.
Pros
Cons
Wages, bullying staff, no room for progression
Not worth the wage
Helpline advisor (Former Employee) –  Hillington, Glasgow6 July 2018
Luckily I’m no longer there. I left on good terms before you think I’m a disgruntled ex employee. Having worked here for over 4+ years I can honestly say don’t do it. The wage is shockingly low for a private healthcare company. Since I was there the question about the wage going up always pops up in surveys. Same answer every year....they’re looking into it and then they actually tell you that compared to other places we actually pay more(lies as of now it’s national minimum wage).

No loyalty for long standing members of staff. If I was to walk through the doors in 6 months time I’d be on the same wage and holiday allowance I was in when I left. Although from when I was leaving they’re only hiring people under the age of 25 as they don’t have to pay them as much.

Monthly bonus? Good luck they always find a way of cheating you out of it! Promotion? What’s that? very limited chance of it happening so don’t hold out hope. The managers pals get the job first.

The company use to be all about patients and the staff used to matter but now the staff are just numbers(easily replaceable) and have turned into drones being made to upsell and obtain pretty much every single detail of a customers life otherwise you lose points on your call scoring.

There was a bit of turmoil with a dodgy top boss last year and I still think the company is trying to rebuild from that but that is no excuse for the drastic changes recently.
Pros
Your team! They’ll be just as miserable as you and you’ll bond through that. The hours are good too
Cons
The wage, the bonus, the job is repetitive, the training isn’t the best
Average
Senior Staff Nurse - Paediatrics (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke4 July 2018
BMI are an average company to work for. However, they have just been sold off and we are unsure of what will become of the company in the future
The staff I work with directly are very good
Pros
Private Health Cover. Pension
Cons
No easy route for enhancement
Nice staff, poor management
Hospital porter (Current Employee) –  Goring by Sea14 June 2018
Minimum wage for increasing responsibilities. Work hard all month for no thanks and then receive a poor pay packet that is normally wrong and not in your favour.
Pros
Good staff and patient relations
Cons
Poor managent style
Enjoy working at BMI
Patient Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chertsey, Surrey30 May 2018
I enjoy working at BMI and have done for the past 6 years. I have moved to Salisbury, therefore would like employment nearer to home.
I’ve had numerous opportunities at BMI to enhance my skills which I have jumped to the challenge. The whole hospital has a real family vibe which the patients pick up on and love and regularly return if further surgery needed.
Pros
Great team work
Terrible place to work
Person (Former Employee) –  Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire29 May 2018
Lack of support from management. Indifference towards staff. Expected to perform multiple roles. Workplace culture very negative with very high staff turnover. I would not recommend anyone to work here. Management are bullies.
Goods and bads....money is pants though
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Kent7 May 2018
Have worked Bank and Contract with BMI. Money is dire. Management in parts clueless and ignore valuable experience and insight from frontline staff. Have worked multiple roles to cover sickness and often perform 3 or 4 roles with no reward. Some amazing people work at BMI.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Long hours, awful money, moral, management
Low morale, loads of staff leaving
Employee (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex27 April 2018
Used to be such a great place to work but has now gone really downhill.
Everyone including managers are moaning, low morale. More and more is being asked of you. Having to go home when not busy and make time up another time. Loads of really good staff members have left and now leaving those of us who are stuck. Not sure why anyone would want to work here... Wouldn't surprise me if it closed.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Going down the pan
Organised Chaos
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  B.M.I.Hillington26 March 2018
Never got past the the training as it was a shambles, multi screens and amount of info got to retain for the lowest salary in a call centre at 14.5K thats why they highlight the bonus as if some super bonus incentive it really just brings your wage to a competitive figure like other call centres, Catch is there not always met especially with new starts all about wages down and company profits, Honestly I dont know how they retain staff on such a low wage
Pros
none was there long enough to find any
Cons
low wages
Would not recommend
Patient Administrator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen17 February 2018
Dead end job, Stressful, not appreciated, the pay is rubbish and there is no real support from management. So glad I left best decision I’ve made only wish I’d done it sooner.
Pros
Amount of holidays I got
Cons
Low Pay
Motivating place to work
Radiographer (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire15 February 2018
Your area of working is defined by the rota, you work across all modalities , learning lots from colleagues and Radiologists. Time investment from team leads , senior colleagues and line manager to help you develop.
Great training opportunities to progress my career
Getting to spend more time to patients in this setting
Pros
Free healthcare, opportunities to train and develop
Cons
Sometimes too many late shift
Enjoyable place to work
Senior HCA (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire15 February 2018
Enjoyable place to work that is giving me the opportunity to develop my skills on a daily basis and gain qualifications. Colleagues and Line Manager are really supportive of my study time and mentoring me.
Pros
Great training and development opportonuites
management to clique
ex employee (Former Employee) –  Northampton22 January 2018
Former employee.
. Management are bullies. If you dont comply. They find away to make your job impossible. If a grievance is undertaken,
they do not follow acas guide lines. believe senior members over lower grades staff. who are under investigation. pointless putting in greivence in first place.
Staff treated badly and are undervalued hence high turn over of staff. In general staff work hard and are well trained .

It's management and that needs to be replaced. to boost moral and treat staff with respect. put patients care pathway first not penny pinching.
Pros
training excellent
Cons
change Management
Poor management
Patient administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire19 January 2018
The people who I worked with were professional and very supportive. Moral has really gone down in the last year or two due to management. My manager was not interested in managing us and we also had a different manager frequently, none of them knew what job we did and were not interested in finding out. The company on the whole is old fashioned and not moving forward at all which has become more noticeable since I left.
Their ethos now is if you are not happy then leave, which I find to be a very ineffective way to run a company. They do not value experienced staff with a huge amount of knowledge.
I would not recommend working here.
Pros
The staff are very good at what they do.
Cons
Poor management
Work Experience is good.
Pharmacy Technician (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Glasgow14 January 2018
I work here as an intern majorly after school hours and I love it. Not only does it give me a different perspective from the NHS but I get to meet new people and work with different chemicals than I might in a different hospital.
Two in one. Friendly and helpful staff and poor management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  BMI garden Hendon-London13 January 2018
Worked for 4 years in BMI GARDEN in Hendon as security officer. Was asked to do: cleaning of theatres and recovery rooms and two toilets never to mention the canteen. You would never believe it was Dr’s and managers having their lunches and brakes there even children wouldn’t be as messy as they were. Also had to fill all wards bed sheets towels etc, filling gas cylinders, moving patient from room to room as well as covering reception. They don’t know how to say thanks just tell you off. I left the work with an open email. All staff have called and thanked me after I left but after two months management started going to old habits. Friendly housekeeping and nurses but far from Dr’s and management.
Pros
Nothing for free
Cons
Long hours short staffed
The grass is not greener
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen11 January 2018
The grass is not greener working in the private sector. Moving from NHS to private I thought work morale and management would be better. Im sad to say thats not the case,
Bad management
Porter (Former Employee) –  Rochdale14 December 2017
Started here few month back went into work and was sick got sent home and told to not return by management by voicemail. Managers have more days of than days in. As a porter you are a housekeeper not a porter not properly trained
Pros
Cons
Bad management if your face doesnt fit
Good
Helpline Advisor (Current Employee) –  GLASGOW28 November 2017
Good company, regular charity days, relaxed, good management, pay ok, pension, private health cover,..................................................
Fun workplace
Helpline Advisor (GP Hotline) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 November 2017
Busy with a large volume of incoming phone calls. I improved my medical terminology training. Management is amazing threw dinner party for the 10th year anniversary withing the premises. Management is really amazing in feedback and training. I do not consider the salary too good...Hardest part of the job is the gap of between hospitals and the call center in providing customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job are the friendly colleagues.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
salary not good enough targets way too high

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMI Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.