BLM Employee Reviews

Traumatising and frustrating experience!
Legal Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bristol2 September 2019
Terrible management without a trace of sympathy
or humanity in their actions. Impossible for the support management to keep their word, no matter how this would affect others. I never experienced what I did in this place, including xenophobic bullying from certain colleagues.
BLM Review
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manchester23 July 2019
Overall an extremely professional workplace to be in. Staff, management and partners all extremely helpful in all circumstances. I resigned due to redundancies being made.
Poor environment and management
Solicitor (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire27 December 2018
Unfortunately I dreaded coming into the office every day. The environment was very negative with management losing faith in the industry and having to push lawyers to work long hours just to have any hope of meeting targets. Most staff never met their targets and bonuses were therefore not achievable.

The biggest issue was that equity partners were not managing the salaried partners. If a partner was not managing workloads properly or if a partner was unable to manage staff apart from by shouting at staff, the equity partners swept it under the table. A key example was moving an employee due to a “ personality clash” when everyone in the office had seen the employee shouted at and belittled by this partner. The equity partners however saw it as that partner being more valuable than a fee earner and the issue wasn’t dealt with but swept under the carpet.

If a partner doesn’t perform, action should be taken rather than solicitors and lawyers being used as a scape goat and leaders should always lead by example.

The salaried partners should have feedback obtained from the solicitors about their management of staff and how they can improve. I as a fee earner was never asked for feedback on my immediate managers and problems were never picked up on till very late in the day often when a client complained.

I remember a client telling me how valuable I was to them and the saddest part was knowing that if I didn’t get off the phone quickly, I would not make my hours that day. Or if I had a loo break or went to lunch, my hours would not be enough. Yet, my skills were
  more... elsewhere and in a different arena, something I now put to good use in a different role as the robotic nature of that role was not suited to me.

A business needs to be run by business minded people and not partners who are good at billing
chargeable time and one area of law and socially inadequate. Put people where they are effective, if good with clients, recognise this and let them socialise reducing their targets accordingly, not just applying more pressure. Winning business and maintaining business relationships is just important as running a case.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Poor management
Productive and Friendly workplace
E-Billing Adminstrator (Current Employee) –  Manchester28 May 2018
No problems with the workplace I had enjoy working with the people.

I have learnt a lot from my experience with my job roles since being at the company.

Just feel time right to move on and look for new chapter with in my career.
Pros
work collegues
Cons
no issues
About my current job
Assistant Team Administrator (Current Employee) –  Manchester Central19 April 2018
My day to day work is a good job.

Workplace has a great atmosphere.

I consider my job to have a lot of responsibilities which I manage really well.

I enjoy my job a lot as the people I work for/with are really nice people.

I have acquired a lot of knowledge and skills over my 12 years at my job about the law to a certain degree but feel there is not a lot of progression left for me which is what I thrive on.
Awful
Fee Earner (Former Employee) –  liverpool11 January 2018
Shocking firm to work for. massive staff turn over due to extremely poor management who scapegoat their team members to make up for their own failings.

absolutely ruined may career working for this firm.
Pros
Cons
career suicide
Very busy and friendly place to work
Assistant Team Administrator (Current Employee) –  Manchester11 January 2018
Every day is different. The work is good and the staff are very friendly. Casual dress allowed too which makes it more relaxed. Management are very friendly and always approachable
Pros
In the City Centre
Cons
Isnt any
Flexible workplace
Costs Draftsman (Current Employee) –  Southampton11 January 2018
I mainly worked from home and the company was very accommodating and happy for me to do so. However, the work is very demanding and the monthly targets are hard to achieve without putting in significant additional hours.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Monthly targets
Management dont take accountabilty. Failing department
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside14 December 2017
Management fail to do their job and the office organisation is in a state of chaos. No Job security and an exceptional high tunr over of staff due to a toxic environment.
Pros
None.
Cons
high staff turn over, poor moral. poor team management.
Awful
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 December 2017
If your offered a job here do not accept it, place is like a revolving door in terms of staff, it has an ‘if your face fits’ kind of attitude. No patience with new starters, offices are tired dusty and dated, poor management who cannot prioritise or are deemed approachable, your just another number here, believe me there’s better places to work!
Pros
City Centre Location
Cons
The job and culture
Good professional legal firm
Accounts Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 September 2017
Very large company, a busy and friendly environment, lots of benefits. Typical day starts with checking bank accounts, cheques received and sorting out post.
Only did 1 week there
Intern (Former Employee) –  London26 August 2017
If youre aspriing to be a lawyer, start here. They are excellent, the workplace is excellent and from what I've heard the pay isnt too bad. The people are kind and the location is brilliant
Pros
View of the shard from a standard office
Cons
I got bored
Ring made redundant
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 July 2017
In redundancy at the moment including reception and other departments. Best part of the job is meeting clients and staff.
Being able to sort out problems under pressure
Enjoyable and nice people
Filing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire14 June 2017
The people were very welcoming to me and had lots of conversation with me and helped me settle in. It was a very reasonable job as they were not too harsh on anyone .
3 years later...
New File Opener (Current Employee) –  Southampton25 October 2016
Administrative roles are basically the worst role to be in, unless you like being paid badly and used and abused for all that you are worth.

No Flexi-time, if you're in early/ late it's not noticed (even if you start earlier or finish later)

You have a really productive day, then get told to 'try a bit harder next time'....

The only positive thing is you get an hours lunch break.
Pros
You get an hours lunch break
Cons
Salary is awful, No benefits unless you're higher up in the company.
Unorganised chaos
Filing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Birmingham15 September 2016
If you want to be bored out of your brain pick this job. All you will do for 35hrs a week is file, there is no variation to this role. Worst job I've ever had. Small minority of the fee earners are stuck up and treat you like S*** you are the office skivvy, this job has put me off an office based role for life.
There are routes of progression, associates are generally nice. But if you want a job where the office countdown for Friday begins on Monday then apply away. Everybody is unhappy and the staff turnover is ridiculous. Good luck
Pros
1 hr lunch, city centre location
Cons
The role.
Tired, dated & needs to improve
Accounts (Former Employee) –  Manchester31 March 2016
The company needs a revamp in terms of décor & management level staff. The general staff turnaround is like a revolving door, they even have an internal department devoted to staff recruitment, which should speak volumes.

They need to tackle why their staff feel the need to look elsewhere so regularly & feel the need to move-on.
Pros
In the heart of the City Centre
Cons
Decor, Low Pay
Well structured firm
Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG30 January 2016
I have worked in the fraud team for 2 and a half years. Have enjoyed my time there but due to a re-structure the team is being altered significantly and is contracting.
Supportive employer in the main with good spread of work.
Pros
good quality work, sensible work/life balance
friendly environment
Team Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manchester8 November 2015
friendly place to work with good opportunities. typical working day was relatively varied.role was sometimes quite demanding.
Good opportunities
legal (Current Employee) –  Manchester8 November 2015
Friendly, professional environment where opportunities are available to progress your career. Strengths and weaknesses are assessed and time is taken to assist with your personal development.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BLM. Our community is ready to answer.