Blind Veterans UK

Blind Veterans UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom16 reviews
Working in the catering department was an enjoyable experience due to the staff and lovely customers who we get to know very dearly. Situated on the coast of Ovingdean it's a great location, with added benefits such as a gym and swimming pool.
Decent pay, high staff turnover. Not a place to work if you are looking for job security. Regularly restructuring, often needlessly. Top down organisation with poor management. Only the chosen few can progress.
Worked here for 2 and a half years. The veterans you get to meet are amazing and this is the rewarding part of the job and the only good point. The management structure is very weak and team leaders are put in place but have little to no experience on leadership, however because they are so grossly overpaid they are 'yes' people to the top management and therefore do not look after the staff under them. If your face doesn't fit then you are out and they will look for any reason to get rid, even if it is unethical and untruthful. The management look out for and cover up for each other and no matter how hard you work or go the extra mile, it means nothing. Question anything and you are out. I am a veteran myself and have been treated terribly by the management which has caused me a great deal of work related stress to the point I quit or rather I was left with no choice but to leave!
Friendly people and a very supportive attitude. I couldn't commit time to the work due to personal circumstances and I feel I've missed out (and also let them down) on working somewhere extraordinary.
The few visitors and residents I met there were also incredibly interesting and a privilege to meet
The mission of this organisation is 'Rebuilding Lives Beyond Sight Loss'. They achieve this amazingly well. I was only with the organisation for a few months but felt as an employee you are not valued. There is no clear direction and guidance. No internal communication. Career progression/opportunities are not supported. One of the values is 'Caring' unfortunately not all managers promote this. So much pressure. Not a good work environment. Of course targets need to be achieved but fundraising is also meant to be fun.
There are practices which make working there very challenging. You can be excluded and pushed out very easily. There is a pervasive bullying atmosphere among management that impacts negatively if you are not considered one of them. Very little job security as change is always happening for changes sake it seems. Will bring in consultants at the drop of a hat. No focus at all on staff wellbeing. The chosen few run the show and if you are not one of them you will be pushed aside.
Pros
Salary and benefits, the dedicated volunteers and amazing members, some wonderful supportive colleague
Cons
Poor management and a bullying culture is rife
I work in BVUK in Llandudno. I've worked here for several years and work directly with the members. I get up every morning and look forward to coming to work. The veterans are great people that I feel honoured to spend time with. The services that we provide are really varied and the teams in the building work together to make sure that the members are happy.
Pros
The members, the people, the place and the food and job opportunities
Cons
Communication could be better.
the job was good , i learnt lots whilst working there. could do with more internal comms about what was going on with the restructure as alot of people had no direction
The members are fantastic and what the charity offers them is amazing, you will meet some right characters..... unfortunately that's about where it ends. Worked with them from the when it opened in Llandudno and was amazing at the start then the management team changed and so did the ethics and culture. It's now a bullying culture, where if your face doesn't fit or you dare to speak out of turn then they will find a way to get rid of you. The Management team are awful, HR are in the managers pockets and they appear to be able to get away with it because the CEO and the Trustees don't really care, they're too far out of touch with what's really going on, on the ground, awful company to work. Be warned.
Pros
Great members, some real characters with amazing stories.
Cons
Bullying management culture with a couldn't care less attitude.
I had a great time working here, only moved on due to a better opportunity. The staff were very welcoming and supportive. I was given the opportunity to learn a lot over a short period.
I worked for the charity for 7 months and can honestly say that the residents are absolutely fantastic. Sadly there's a massive element of nepotism and favorisim amoung the management team. If you're not liked or not in favour with the management then you'll sadly not get far. Many of the staff have worked there for years and with that comes an institutionalised work environment where new ideas are shunned. Pay is good, residents are fab and have such wonderful stories to tell! Until certain mangers have either retired or been found out about how they treat new staff, I'd definately avoid.
Pros
Pay. Residents.
Cons
Management.
Great charity, people and values.
The organisation gives employees the platform to further develop their own skill sets and pursue a career in whichever department they work in.
I had a voluntry post of general support worker in which I befriended a blind vetran nurse. I took her shopping in the community and also accompanied her to some hospital appointments and outings in the local community.
Management team supervisory team several department
Salary is good work is varied success though rarely celebrated

Swimming pool

Sports hall

Arts n crafts department

Rehabilitation officers
Pros
Salary
Cons
No real progression
I worked at Blind Veterans UK for one year. A typical day involved talking to vision impaired veterans, creating stories for PR and helping with advertising.

Generally people were friendly, there was a subsidised canteen and the charity has a clear mission. The role I had was quite clearly defined and I wasn't micromanaged so it was enjoyable from that point of view.

The downside was the role for the main part was quite repetitive and my line management was poor meaning there was limited opportunities to learn or progress.
Pros
Subsidised lunches, great values
Cons
Repetitive work, poor line management
I have enjoyed my time at blind veterans, I have learnt a lot of new skills, in a first class enviroment. The only reason I am considering leaving is because I want to work less hours, and travel less as I have recently moved.