Blackburn with Darwen Council

Blackburn with Darwen Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews
It is very enjoyable working for Blackburn with Darwen borough council. The staff are very easy to get along with and the work is not too pressured and the class are easy to work with
Absolutely awful place to work, staff arent listened to and are treat really negatively and expected to do everything for nothing. There is a lot of bullying and no support. Supervision is virtually non-existent
Like one big family, managers are always approachable and friendly. Excellent work life balance. We all value our jobs at some very hard times, with the council cuts 😉
The job its self is great! Work mates are a good team.

Management abit funny not much support don't listen to you etc.

Not much progress opportunities
Regular supervisions & appraisals. Good support from management. Decent salary. Plenty of holidays. Challenging. Positive atmosphere. Good quality training. Opportunity to develop & progress. Good pension.
Most enjoyable part of the job, working with children, families and supporting local community.

A typical day at work:

Autocratic management.

Regular cuts.

Staff off sick regularly due to work related stress.

Hefty workload pressure and underpaid.
Pros
Working Term Time
Cons
Underpaid
Since working for Blackburn Council i have realised why they're failing the public. The management waste valuable money of creating jobs for their friends. I witnessed excellent workers being left on zero hour contracts for 2 -3 years. With no holidays and company benefits. They used one employee as a public relations figure, using her video's and photo's to promote the company in a good light. All along that employee was being used and abused on a zero hour contract. When the employee tried to get a full time contract, management would reject her to give their friends jobs. Then they would have to waste the tax payers money to train their friends up because they never had the right qualifications in the first place. Many of times the council would employ people that can't drive wagons then waste money training them to drive wagons, even though they have zero hour drivers that are already fully capable of doing the job. Blackburn Council should be a bit more careful when wasting tac payers money. We might be able to fix the roads and clean up the town a bit then.
Cons
Zero hour contracts, No overtime pay, No holiday, Not much diversity, Hard work isn't appreciated, Bad management
During my placement at Blackburn with Darwen, I was treat fairly and was given an insight on how the customer service department and IT department was run. I participated in various tasks which gave me the push to pursue a career in IT and business. I thouroughly enjoyed my time there and would like to someday return there on fulltime employment.
Pros
people, support
Been workong for 13 years would like a change
Been challenging but worth seeing children achieve and smiles and their appreciation.

Worked in most years..

Worked with Downs children...autistic..and visual impaired..been a pleasure to work with them.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Low pay
Very interesting place to work, never the same 2 days together, very rewarding, always something new to learn and progress. Unfortunate my myself, the Council had to make cuts due to saving money.
Pros
Supportive colleagues, staff discounts, good parking available, social events
Cons
Due to lack of money, many cuts made
Enjoyable place to work, gives you the opportunity to work in a number of different industries and experience many different work ethics. Flexible hours.
great workplace to gain further skills, training ad develop further working with a good team. The most enjoyable part was helping others and meeting new people.
Workplace was fun and I have had the opportunity to develop myself. I have not had much contact with direct members of Blackburn with a darwen council but when I have had to contact them for certain reasons, they were very helpful and quick to sort me out.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
I enjoy my job, good employers. I have been to college while working here and furthered my career. Council cuts in schools are my only reason for looking at other job vacancies.
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Can't choose own holiday times
The work place, the environment, staff, was great. I have no complaints. I loved my job. I am not able to give any kund of information regarding my previous job at the blackburn with darwen borough council.
Working for BwD council was an experience, lots of diversity and no credit what so ever for anything done for them to try and provide a better service
Cons
I have grown in knowledge and skills over my period of time working in blackburn with darwen council. I can work as a team and also work on my own.
Pros
flexi time
I enjoyed working in an nursery environment, i enjoyed spending time with the children. I I was responsible for PSE in nursery and completing learning journies.
24 hours 7 days a week but love every minute team work all the way letting go is the hardest part best part of the job is seeking the results of a child feeling safe
Good place to spend a week of work experience.
Speaking to co workers who thoroughly enjoy working here.

Enjoyed sorting documents
I have never had any problems. It is a large school i work in and everyday is different and i enjoy a challenge and i find it very rewarding.
Pros
everyday is different
Cons
challenging