Black Country Living Museum

Black Country Living Museum Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
I would highly recommend working there. My hours are very flexible, the staff are very friendly with there being good team bonding. There's also a safe working environment.
Its a good place to work if your fit in with the managers.I loved my job but management made it unbearable daily and I feel I have been let down terribly
I personally liked my bosses how ever I also felt like it was cheap labour I was being paid £20 for a days work with hardly any breaks and it was cash in hand and not minimum wage fore me.
Pros
free food and drinks
Cons
long hours with not many breaks also poor pay
The owners bypassed laws by having us join as "volunteers", knowing that they would be able to exploit their workers (aged from about 14 - mid-20's) for their 8+ hour days by paying them £20 cash in hand.
Lovely place to work! Very busy which I loved, plenty of events are hosted which you get to take part!
Brilliant place to work only fault is not very understanding when comes to your life outside of work.
Working here is great and you fall in love with the museum, only to have your passion to be tested on a daily basis.

What the hardest thing to deal with is the management, some don't have the proper understanding of the areas of which they work for. Communication is lacking between departments which means that important are dropped on you at the last minute.

Job security in management is non existent as employees are dropped (which seems) on a regular basis, some have left because they've had enough. Eight members of staff have left since the new year.

Zero hours have been in place for quite a while at the museum. This has its pros and cons, summer time when it's peak time you will end up working all the time and sometimes long hours but as soon as it's off peak you will barely get any work at all. People have been brought to tears as they can barely afford to live, so learn money management basically save in summer to survive for winter.

I must say you will love your job. You will find yourself doing things you never thought you could do like working with celebrities and being on television, having your face on posters.

They also try to raise morale by having social events where they put on music, drink and food on for the staff, which are great fun.

It is a real community, people try to look out for each other and you get some real characters yet their are some people which will just stab you in the back.

If you have great potential ideas usually they just get snubbed by some of the management because they have been stuck in their ways for
 - more...
Pros
Real community feeling, lots of fun
Cons
Poor management and wages. Job security
Poor management who have no idea how to rota enough staff on in peak season to enable staff to have their break often working 8 hours with a 10 minute break if your lucky enough, inadequate staffing levels to the amount of visitors which therefore requires you to work under pressure with lack of support, queues out of the door complaints from customers the list goes on then when you bend over backwards they drop you like a sack of potatoes in the winter without warning then they have the audacity to advertise for staff poor people skills shocking it was definitely an opening experience as I thought it would be a lovely place to work only to find out just how undervalued staff are especially in the catering departments workers institute cafe and rolfe street.
Cons
Insufficient breaks, poor management, undervalued, poor working conditions
typically at work we are demonstrating what it was like to live in the 1920s so it is a very educational place to work, every one there is very friendly and help you out when needed. Only problem was the management on the food and customer service as there was no communication between the different areas of the museum
Pros
discount around the hole museum
Cons
can be too busy with not enough help
AmaZing for all clients and children on the fair also for aldults all year round with great prices and opportunities for the whole family I reslly Enjoy working here to
must be connected via an ATEX certified Ex ia barrier with output not exceeding the parameters specified on the certificate and listed on page 4 of this guide. Typical connection arrangements are shown in figure 1.
MPEX3418LX is terminated with an MS10SL-4P connect
Pros
None applicable
Cons
Poor management, lack of progression, competitiveness encouraged, poor team effort
Was tiring and hard but fun. I learnt that I should always be focus and in character at all times. The hardest part was dealing with how people reacted to you. Some would be violent and hurl abuse at you but you had to try and ignore that and remain calm. The most enjoyable part was scaring and chasing people.
Kind workers
Very helpful when working with eachother

Easy and good communication

Nice area to work in , very well looked after

Very fun to visit and look around
The Black Country Living Museum is an excellent company to work for they hire People with many different skills. Volunteering is fantastic, as you will gain the right skills to advance to paid work. The staff there are approachable, friendly & Hard Working. with this job you get the full benefit of the place when you start your role, as you learn you will gain many valuable skills from customer service to Learning local history. I cant Fault this company in any way as it is an enjoyable experience for both staff and visitors.
Pros
no two days are the same
Cons
no cons very enjoyable place of work
a typicall day at work would be handing out tokens, minding the rides, ensuring safety. my co workers were hard working and reliable, the hardest part of the job was working outside in the winter, the easiest part was the fact I worked on a fun fair.
Pros
free lunch