BLACK BULL Employee Reviews

A very nice workplace to start in bartending
Barmaid (Former Employee) –  Buntingford23 November 2016
The management at the moment at the Black Bull is the biggest advantage. The manager is always helping and answering your questions, gives you the precise advice and way to work to be efficient and enjoy working.
The customers are friendly and understanding when you are new or very busy.
There wasn't any critical bad point while I was working there.
Pros
Good training and atmosphere
Cons
As in every pub, very different shifts depending on the events
what i think
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne17 November 2016
I think the black bull one the best pubs Newcastle. I go there loads for drink mates cheap and worth paying for. I worked there for 2 weeks I loved the people worked along side learned lots new skills I would work there full time I could.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short hours
Busy, busy, busy
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Frosterley5 November 2016
Shifts here are usually hectic and tiring. Organisation of staffing is not great, but it's workable.
Generally its pretty good fun! So long as you don't get stressed out, it goes just fine. Friendly customers, great co workers and very good tips!
Worst bar ive ever worked at!
Bar Staff/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Preston5 November 2016
They are not flexible at all regarding hours. After working late for several days and exhausted. I had a few days off. Came back and got the sack for no reason what so ever, no explanation given. Horrible and rude management.
If you have kids don't bother working here, as they diny care and will make you work till close every night.

Training on the horrendous system also wasn't given.
And amazing food? It's made in a microwave heated up from a plastic bag.
Pros
Cons
Horrible managment, long hours, work you to the bone
Favorite job & staff
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, Scotland24 June 2016
Always a fun experience with great staff and environment. Hardest part of job was dealing with rude customers, but it was nothing I couldn't handle as I love the hospitality industry and everything about it!
Fun
Pot Washer (Current Employee) –  Blackpool20 February 2016
Working at the Black Bull is good as the hours are very flexible and the staff are very friendly. The pay is not enough to support me to pay for fuel, food etc.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Productive and fun work place
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  St. Helens13 January 2016
When working in the black bull I gained experience in bar tending, waitressing and also worked with children for the first time as a child's party host.
Pros
Near to home
Cons
Rude management
Good team and fun workplace
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coniston, ENG16 June 2015
Management isn't to great, if there is a problem within the workplace they do not solve the problem.

Ive learnt a lot about the safety and prep of food, also the hygiene side of it, making sure the ingredients have been washed or drained ready for use.

My co workers are a fun loving group of people, how are dedicated to their job, get on with the work but yet have a laugh while doing so.

The most enjoyable part of my job is my co workers.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long hours, Weekend working
poor management
family room assistant (Former Employee) –  st helens31 May 2015
i got accepted for the job two weeks ago and came in for two days as requested by the manager and was told to collect my wages and hours the following sunday so i rang the pub to see if they was ready to collect before left to get them and i was told on the phone that a girl (just another member of staff, like myself) thought "i wasnt fit for the job" so went to collect my wages the following day for the two days of work i had done for them and was just told "sorry for what has happened" with no explanation as to what i had done wrong. whist i was working the two days i was not giving any training for the tills or given a till key to pick it up my self yet i scrubbed every window, table and chair leg,and the whole play area. i was told to buy new converse and get skinny jeans and white blouses by the girl who thought i wasnt fit enough to work there,yet she knew i had a five week old baby to provide for and to tell me to buy all that then make me loose my job is disgusting. i just think that it was very poor management as to take another member of staffs word rather than see my potential throughout the two days, not like you can see someones full potential in just two days but i would not recommend to apply from my personal experence.
Pros
nice envroment
Cons
poor management
the Black Bull is a great place to work
Bar Person (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, ENG24 May 2015
typical work day would be making sure bar fully stocked
checking float making sure bar clean

I have learned how to Run a bar and what it would be like to own my own bar

the management at the black bull are amazing people and have taught me a lot

my co-works are fun people and easy to get along with

the hardest worst part of the job is having to throw out trouble makers i have had lots of threats made towards me

most enjoyable part is meeting all the costumers and helping arrange party's discos karaokes etc
Pros
free drinks if i want them
Cons
long hours on feet
demanding
Barmaid (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, ENG24 June 2014
i loved this job as i love working with hours, although you have to be on yard very early and finish very late, but living on the yard made it easier. It was physically demanding, and paid little, but was great experience.
team strong work place
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG17 February 2014
you usually work the majority of the time you work alone in a fast paste kitchen. I have learnt to be more independent and pick up my speed. Management team makes sure your managing alright and help you when needed.
Pros
experience
Cons
getting overwhelmed at times
Fun workplace
o Cashier, barmaid, waitress and glass collector (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, ENG7 January 2014
A typical day at work would be pleasing the customers, waiting on them and getting to know them and fulfilling their needs. I learned a lot working in a pub, learnt how to communicate with different types of people and how to deal with people. Management was a family friend so I was more than comfortable and happy to work there, co workers were friendly and good team mates. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the drunk customers, but the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customers enjoy themselves.
Pros
Entertaining
Cons
Trouble
i loved working at the black bull
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Dewsbury, ENG2 January 2014
my time at the black bull was amazing i made lots of life friends and life skills it was truly a brilliant job .
Pros
nice working enviroment
Cons
dealing with drunk people late at night
it was hard going
Cleaner/cook (Former Employee) –  Ayr, SCT15 November 2013
it was hard going but always got our work done co-workers where great people