Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust

Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Community
CPN (Former Employee) –  South Birmingham11 November 2018
I worked for this trust & would advise any professional to steer clear from working for them, the management stick together & have absolutely no regard for you as an individual working hard, they put more work on you & if anyone complains they then investigate you & make you feel as though you are worthless. It's the same faces different positions, they think they are omnipotent & make you feel like you are a none entity...avoid this so called foundation trust like the plague
Pros
Cons
Alot
poor attitudes and little skill.
cpn (Former Employee) –  south birmingham21 September 2018
Too many employees are only interested in earning good money but have poor attitudes and are lacking in skill and compassion for those they are paid to care for...from the top down.
An embarrassingly self-satisfied worker culture, creating dangerous triggerings for vulnerable clients.
Pros
money and career advantages
Cons
harmful culture for patients
odette
Health Care assistant/ STR worker (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 August 2018
A busy day with patients at different levels of recovery. Juggling many tasks, but knowing that you are part of a team and you will all aim to acheive the right outcome for your patients and your team.
Ive learned that you cannot fix everything, that sometimesit is not within your remit
Pros
good team enviroment.
Cons
long hours inclusive of weekends and bank holidays
every day was always different
Hand and Hygiene in the Workplace Training (Former Employee) –  Birmingham United Kingdom6 August 2018
very hands on job but management very supportive and staff were great team players which made the job very interesting as well as challenging. learned a lot about the Mental Health environment.
Pros
very friendly staff and great mangers to work with
Cons
days were very busy everyday
Overstretched and unfair
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands31 March 2018
I was a registered nurse at this trust. You will get paid the NHS salary rate and benefits you should be.
Otherwise my advice is to avoid this trust if you are a registered heath professional (I think the opportunities are better than in the private sector for bands 3 and 4). The standards are too inconsistent and completely dependent on who your manager is.
I agree with the other review that I have seen some terrible attitudes to service users and also terrible attitudes to attempts to put things right.
I live in Birmingham myself and if I needed secondary mental health services I would not trust my safety to this trust. The care might be ok but I would have no confidence it would be.
I have since worked in another NHS trust and now in the private sector, and should have walked out years before I did.
Pros
Fixed NHS salary
Cons
Arbitrary, blaming, uncaring, unfair management. Inconsistent quality of colleagues. Ignore concerns.
Production Fun Work Place
Booking Clerk and Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 January 2018
I had a long, Tiring and interesting day at work. I learnt leadership skills. I could manage the shift accurately.

The work place culture was maintained. But the hardest part of the shift was when staff started cancelling shifts at last minute. But the most interesting part of the shift was that, I was able to convince the staff or find another staff to cover the short fall of the ward around the Trust.
Pros
We always had recreation for staff
Cons
the shifts, however were so long and tiring
Poor attitudes to service users
Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 January 2018
I worked for this organisation in a couple of positions over a period of 5 years.
I am not happy with the attitudes of some of the front line staff and managers, even less with uncaring attitudes in those in leadership positions.
I do not think the service users are put first as they should be and in fact feel too often staff are able to arrange circumstances according to their needs far too much, not enough thought and consideration being given to those they should be making central to their concerns.
I hope that future reforms will improve professionalism in this organisation.
Great people to work with.
Discharge/Support Worker (Current Employee) –  West Midlands19 September 2017
reviewing all delayed transfers of care and working and deciding on appropriate action to resolve the barriers that cause delay in discharges.

Building relationships with professionals, families and patients to ensure we all work together through what is always a difficult process.It is a job with a lot of challenges and you have to always work to use your initiative in planning.

The hardest part of the job is working with limited resources whilst trying to meet expectations of families and patients.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that if you had not intervened in the discharge of the patient they would not have had a middle man to safeguard their best interests at times and ensure that they were supported throughout the process of discharge.

The workplace culture is highly challenging and at times tensions can be high amongst staff but you just have to keep your wits and remain focused on what you are working to achieve.
Pros
Nice friendly people.
Cons
Very challenging role
typical NHS
Health Care Assistant (HCA) (Former Employee) –  Erdington, West Midlands13 September 2017
Not one of my best experiences of the work place, mainly due to unpleasant colleagues. The managers and doctors were very nice to work with and there was progression, training was offered but I became pregnant and left after maternity leave.
I enjoyed the patient contact, escorting off site and building relationships with the young people.
It was very volatile and I was injured on one occasion, which is an occupational hazard in secure forensic mental health.
Due to a small number of unpleasant co workers I was glad to leave. I hope the staff mix is better now.
Pros
opportunity to talk with a designated supervisor
Cons
I did enjoy my time here on the whole.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 June 2017
demanding workload
organisation was key to success
most satff were friendly and supportive
lots to learn
day to day things could change at short notice and it was hard to make plans in advance
staffing could be a problem at times.
Pros
good wages
Cons
demanding role and unsupported at times
Fast paced and lively work place
voluntary mental health nurse assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 May 2017
Working alongside the mental health nurses was very informative, as I was allowed to participate in home visiting to patients, learning how the online systems work and taking part in meetings. Overall it is was a positive working environment. The most enjoyable part was being able to go to the home visits as it gave me an insight into the service users experiences and perceptions as well as the workers.
Pros
positive atmosphere
Productive and Rewarding
Band 3 Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham15 February 2017
As a health Care Assistant a typical day at work would involve engaging with service users, carrying out therapeutic observations and completing daily nursing notes. On some occasions you are required to deal with service users who are presenting challenging behavior in the form of verbal and physical aggression. However staff have the relevant, training that is required to deal with such behaviors.
Since working for the trust I have developed a range of skills such as; knowing how to deal with challenging behavior, understanding of observation levels, improved confidence and communication skills. I have not yet experienced any issues with management since working for the trust..
I have observed that the trust employ individuals from mixed cultural back grounds..
I have found it difficult to adapt to working shift work as I have found that the hours can be very demanding, especially when you have the responsibility of being a mother.
The most enjoyable part I enjoy about my job is that I get the opportunity to meet different service users from all walks of life and find it very rewarding knowing that I have contributed to making a difference within individual lives..
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Demanding hours
Hard work and long hours no appreciation
NEPT Driver (Current Employee) –  Birmingham14 February 2017
Not a good place to work cuts in budgets mean that as people leave they are not replaced and the people left are expected to take on their work without any extra pay. No work/family balance theyare only interested in getting the job done and dont care how it interferes with your personal life.
Pros
cant think of any
Cons
millions
Positive work atmosphere
Estates Engineer (Former Employee) –  UK29 January 2017
I am a multi-disciplined engineer with many years of experience within LV,MV engineering and power generation.

With my experience I can offer a multi-disciplined approach to electrical substation engineering, utility connections, facilities management and maintenance of all building services.
I have experience in managing and motivating staff and working with contractors.
Financial control of all tasks and projects is paramount.
Health and safety is a key role in all aspects within the workplace, of which I am fully familiar with.
My latest assignment as Design Engineer has provided me with an in depth knowledge and understanding DNO connections using medium to high voltage design techniques.
Pros
Proactive approach to problem solving
Cons
Currently working 70 hours per week, would like to reduce that
Enjoyable when everyone works as a team
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham1 November 2016
My time at BSMHFT has been like a rollercoaster but overall the experience is a great one. You get to understand a lot more about Mental health and it's a bonus if you work with great co-worker/managers.
Unstable
Mental Health Act Advisor and Care Records Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham9 August 2016
Working for the Trust is unstable at the moment due to the number of tenders lost by the CEO. Staff and management have a 'don't care attitude' which is infectious!
Pros
Good Mileage
Cons
Staff morale, management and team are very weak
Rewarding and a challenge
Peer Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Birmingham7 August 2016
It's a great place to work very rewarding and enjoyable and very service user focused which puts recovery at the heart of everything they do. A place to share good practice and therefore improve the lives of service users.
Terrible management
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  The Barberry29 March 2016
I worked for BSMHFT for 4 years. I suffered from a depressive episode and my manager dealt with the whole thing terribly, I ended up resigning as she eventually turned her back on my me. It is one 2 faced place to work, which I tried to stay away from but when you're the subject, not so nice! Plus the management stick together! Never again!
Pros
Some members of staff are there for the patients
Wasn/t too bad.
Book-Keeper (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 February 2016
Life at NHS Finance Department was a privilege. Though it was only for 3 weeks i did make most off it.
My role was a Purchase Ledger Clerk, I would date stamp loads of invoices and print 100's of bar-codes on payrolls.
Cons
Long hours.
Beneficial experience as a student nurse
Student Nurse (Mental Health) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG3 November 2015
Busy, action packed and friendly environments were no two days are the same. The experience I gained is invaluable and I am humbled for the experiences I was involved in whilst there.