Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust

Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom33 reviews
Small over view
Always do background reading on the post applying for.
All interviews are base on a scoring system. If there are two position the top two will be offered the position.

Very busy work environment however, most teams adopt a good life balance culture.

I enjoy communcating with services users and working closely with family members
I loved working there, lovely people, faces. The only issue was that their interview, training process took a very long time. I got the job in March and didn't start working till November
Fun
It is as you would expect when working within mental health. The cases and demographics is quite diverse which has been fun and educational to work with.
Has benefits but hard to progress
Due to budget cuts its hard to progress but a good place to work. I enjoy working here but would like to progress up the ranks as quick as I can. There is opportunity to work to your own initiative.
Interesting, collaborative and supportive work environment
During my time I learned a great deal about the considerations for delivering an inpatient mental health hospital service that different healthcare professionals must make. Within psychology team I was well supported to update my knowledge and develop practice. Most all colleagues were regularly available to discuss patients, new ideas or professional development.
Satisfying, although stressful at times. Job satisfaction in working for a caring organisation and helping staff to develop and progress in their role
Work life was busy covering various unit across the service and managing a variety of teams. Learned to be flexible and adaptable, also to listen to others. Hardest part for me was dealing with conflict management and staff under-performing. Most enjoyable to encourage and develop staff to achieve and reach their goals.
Great staff to work with
Great experience achieved over the years. Insightful working in our public healthcare sector and in various trusts and foundations. Supportive network within the NHS has been an interesting working time.
fun place to work
Bsmhft is a progressive trust that is rewarding to work for, we have a good patient centred approach to care, and the management offer all their staff lots of support.
Pros
strong workforce
Cons
pay not progresive
Great
Good place, good salary, good work colleagues,

Lack of funding to continue role, no progression in role employed for on a contract basis. Would loved to have stayed on.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Lots of travelling between sites
Community
I worked for this trust & would advise any professional to steer clear from working for them, the management stick together & have absolutely no regard for you as an individual working hard, they put more work on you & if anyone complains they then investigate you & make you feel as though you are worthless. It's the same faces different positions, they think they are omnipotent & make you feel like you are a none entity...avoid this so called foundation trust like the plague
Pros
Cons
Alot
poor attitudes and little skill.
Too many employees are only interested in earning good money but have poor attitudes and are lacking in skill and compassion for those they are paid to care for...from the top down.
An embarrassingly self-satisfied worker culture, creating dangerous triggerings for vulnerable clients.
Pros
money and career advantages
Cons
harmful culture for patients
odette
A busy day with patients at different levels of recovery. Juggling many tasks, but knowing that you are part of a team and you will all aim to acheive the right outcome for your patients and your team.
Ive learned that you cannot fix everything, that sometimesit is not within your remit
Pros
good team enviroment.
Cons
long hours inclusive of weekends and bank holidays
every day was always different
very hands on job but management very supportive and staff were great team players which made the job very interesting as well as challenging. learned a lot about the Mental Health environment.
Pros
very friendly staff and great mangers to work with
Cons
days were very busy everyday
Overstretched and unfair
I was a registered nurse at this trust. You will get paid the NHS salary rate and benefits you should be.
Otherwise my advice is to avoid this trust if you are a registered heath professional (I think the opportunities are better than in the private sector for bands 3 and 4). The standards are too inconsistent and completely dependent on who your manager is.

I agree with the other review that I have seen some terrible attitudes to service users and also terrible attitudes to attempts to put things right.

I live in Birmingham myself and if I needed secondary mental health services I would not trust my safety to this trust. The care might be ok but I would have no confidence it would be.

I have since worked in another NHS trust and now in the private sector, and should have walked out years before I did.
Pros
Fixed NHS salary
Cons
Arbitrary, blaming, uncaring, unfair management. Inconsistent quality of colleagues. Ignore concerns.
Production Fun Work Place
I had a long, Tiring and interesting day at work. I learnt leadership skills. I could manage the shift accurately.

The work place culture was maintained. But the hardest part of the shift was when staff started cancelling shifts at last minute. But the most interesting part of the shift was that, I was able to convince the staff or find another staff to cover the short fall of the ward around the Trust.
Pros
We always had recreation for staff
Cons
the shifts, however were so long and tiring
Poor attitudes to service users
I worked for this organisation in a couple of positions over a period of 5 years.
I am not happy with the attitudes of some of the front line staff and managers, even less with uncaring attitudes in those in leadership positions.

I do not think the service users are put first as they should be and in fact feel too often staff are able to arrange circumstances according to their needs far too much, not enough thought and consideration being given to those they should be making central to their concerns.

I hope that future reforms will improve professionalism in this organisation.
Great people to work with.
reviewing all delayed transfers of care and working and deciding on appropriate action to resolve the barriers that cause delay in discharges.

Building relationships with professionals, families and patients to ensure we all work together through what is always a difficult process.It is a job with a lot of challenges and you have to always work to use your initiative in planning.

The hardest part of the job is working with limited resources whilst trying to meet expectations of families and patients.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that if you had not intervened in the discharge of the patient they would not have had a middle man to safeguard their best interests at times and ensure that they were supported throughout the process of discharge.

The workplace culture is highly challenging and at times tensions can be high amongst staff but you just have to keep your wits and remain focused on what you are working to achieve.
Pros
Nice friendly people.
Cons
Very challenging role
typical NHS
Not one of my best experiences of the work place, mainly due to unpleasant colleagues. The managers and doctors were very nice to work with and there was progression, training was offered but I became pregnant and left after maternity leave.
I enjoyed the patient contact, escorting off site and building relationships with the young people.

It was very volatile and I was injured on one occasion, which is an occupational hazard in secure forensic mental health.

Due to a small number of unpleasant co workers I was glad to leave. I hope the staff mix is better now.
Pros
opportunity to talk with a designated supervisor
Cons
I did enjoy my time here on the whole.
demanding workload
organisation was key to success

most satff were friendly and supportive

lots to learn

day to day things could change at short notice and it was hard to make plans in advance

staffing could be a problem at times.
Pros
good wages
Cons
demanding role and unsupported at times
Fast paced and lively work place
Working alongside the mental health nurses was very informative, as I was allowed to participate in home visiting to patients, learning how the online systems work and taking part in meetings. Overall it is was a positive working environment. The most enjoyable part was being able to go to the home visits as it gave me an insight into the service users experiences and perceptions as well as the workers.
Pros
positive atmosphere
Productive and Rewarding
As a health Care Assistant a typical day at work would involve engaging with service users, carrying out therapeutic observations and completing daily nursing notes. On some occasions you are required to deal with service users who are presenting challenging behavior in the form of verbal and physical aggression. However staff have the relevant, training that is required to deal with such behaviors.
Since working for the trust I have developed a range of skills such as; knowing how to deal with challenging behavior, understanding of observation levels, improved confidence and communication skills. I have not yet experienced any issues with management since working for the trust..

I have observed that the trust employ individuals from mixed cultural back grounds..

I have found it difficult to adapt to working shift work as I have found that the hours can be very demanding, especially when you have the responsibility of being a mother.

The most enjoyable part I enjoy about my job is that I get the opportunity to meet different service users from all walks of life and find it very rewarding knowing that I have contributed to making a difference within individual lives..
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Demanding hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8