Birmingham Museums Trust Employee Review

View all Birmingham Museums Trust reviews

Love heritage but working at BMT made me question it
Museum Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 April 2017
If you want a role that will pay bills then go ahead, but if you want a career with advancement opportunities and management support, this will not be for you. My hope when I joined was that I would be offered the chance to advance and get training to help my career develop. Sadly I just stagnated and got very frustrated that a subject I love so much became such a chore to do. The people I worked with made it good but senior management made it unbearable in the end.
Pros
Cons
No Support

Other Birmingham Museums Trust Employee Reviews

Birmingham Museums Trust is a good employer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands30 January 2019
I volunteer here two days a week in two different roles. In one role, I have undertaken a variety of tasks, including helping write acquisition proposals for artworks and inventorying newly acquired works. In the other, I have been correcting data errors in the musuem's online catalogue. I work on a specific project until completed. I have learned much about the processes involved in buying and incorporating objects into the museum and the importance of accuracy in record keeping. All levels of management have always been supportive and friendly. The job often involves working independently, which can sometimes be lonely, but this is offset by helping make the artworks more accessible to the public.
Pros
Working with beautiful art
Cons
Independent working (at times)
Interesting experience
Museum Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 November 2018
I spend my working day checking that all areas and galleries are tidy and accessible to visitors and welcoming visitors. Planning guided tours focused on the museum's collections and interesting workshops for families and children.
Pros
Good staff
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Birmingham Museums Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

Birmingham Museums Trust Reviews by Location