Birmingham Museums Trust

Birmingham Museums Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
As the Trust has several properties around the city, there is a range of different working environments that culminate into a strong, yet diverse workplace.
I've been working at BMAG for a few months now and if you're a student or someone still living at home, this is a great place to work. Everyone gets on really well with each other and all the newbies are made to feel super welcome immediately. However, if you're looking for extra hours every now and then, it's very hard to come by, as well as promotion. The pay isn't great and if you don't qualify for sick pay your wage packet will take a big hit if you miss a day.
Pros
Good work environment, easy job
Cons
Low wages, lack of advancement/extra hours
I volunteer here two days a week in two different roles. In one role, I have undertaken a variety of tasks, including helping write acquisition proposals for artworks and inventorying newly acquired works. In the other, I have been correcting data errors in the musuem's online catalogue. I work on a specific project until completed. I have learned much about the processes involved in buying and incorporating objects into the museum and the importance of accuracy in record keeping. All levels of management have always been supportive and friendly. The job often involves working independently, which can sometimes be lonely, but this is offset by helping make the artworks more accessible to the public.
Pros
Working with beautiful art
Cons
Independent working (at times)
I spend my working day checking that all areas and galleries are tidy and accessible to visitors and welcoming visitors. Planning guided tours focused on the museum's collections and interesting workshops for families and children.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Birmingham's treasures are being cared for by a team of dedicated people with ambitions to take the Museum to another level of engagement interpretation and display .
Pros
Stunning environment
Cons
If you want a role that will pay bills then go ahead, but if you want a career with advancement opportunities and management support, this will not be for you. My hope when I joined was that I would be offered the chance to advance and get training to help my career develop. Sadly I just stagnated and got very frustrated that a subject I love so much became such a chore to do. The people I worked with made it good but senior management made it unbearable in the end.
Pros
Cons
No Support
a very lively and cultured building with lots to see and do interesting exhibitions and forever changing scenes hard work but very for filling
nice pleasant atmosphere .Fun work place with supportive management
I had good managers, great hours and great pay. I gave it up for my own dreams to become a reality. I would have stayed forever if I could.

Typical big organisation with many departments that don't interact. 9-5 was the norm and it was agreeable except for weekends off. Everybody is friendly and the vibe is mostly relaxed. I enjoyed the customers the most from the regulars to the newbies.
Pros
Team members are great
Cons
Lack of communication
Opening shop, putting orders together, meeting customers, assisting corporate clients and displaying new products.
Pros
Great products, lovely location
Cons
Manager rude and arrogant
I get to do little to nothing of the job I love, which gives virally no chance to develop and hone my visitor service skills.
Pros
Love of the job
Cons
Little to no hours
Grâce à mes collègues, mon stage au Musée de Birmingham était une expérience inoubliable qui m'a beaucoup aidé avec la rédaction du mémoire.
Interesting and knowledgeable, i really enjoyed learning about cultures and different periods in history. This is a great job for people that want to keep on their toes and keep learning.
I do not receive any salary or benefits as I am a volunteer. The people and ethic are both encouraging signs to somebody hoping to work in the museum sector. The job prospects are not.
- If you are a volunteer you will receive a lot of support from the staff here
- There are a lot of training courses that are offered to the volunteers which might be very useful in your future job application

- The staff is nice and very supportive