Birmingham Museums Trust Employee Reviews

Interesting experience
Museum Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 November 2018
I spend my working day checking that all areas and galleries are tidy and accessible to visitors and welcoming visitors. Planning guided tours focused on the museum's collections and interesting workshops for families and children.
Pros
Good staff
Fantastic Company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham8 October 2018
Birmingham's treasures are being cared for by a team of dedicated people with ambitions to take the Museum to another level of engagement interpretation and display .
Pros
Stunning environment
Cons
Love heritage but working at BMT made me question it
Museum Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 April 2017
If you want a role that will pay bills then go ahead, but if you want a career with advancement opportunities and management support, this will not be for you. My hope when I joined was that I would be offered the chance to advance and get training to help my career develop. Sadly I just stagnated and got very frustrated that a subject I love so much became such a chore to do. The people I worked with made it good but senior management made it unbearable in the end.
Pros
Cons
No Support
very busy
Facilities Support Manager -Birmingham (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG6 October 2015
a very lively and cultured building with lots to see and do interesting exhibitions and forever changing scenes hard work but very for filling
nice pleasant atmosphere .Fun work place with supportive management
One of my best jobs.
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham23 September 2015
I had good managers, great hours and great pay. I gave it up for my own dreams to become a reality. I would have stayed forever if I could.

Typical big organisation with many departments that don't interact. 9-5 was the norm and it was agreeable except for weekends off. Everybody is friendly and the vibe is mostly relaxed. I enjoyed the customers the most from the regulars to the newbies.
Pros
Team members are great
Cons
Lack of communication
Beautiful shop. Management bad cop, good cop
Customer Service Visitor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham12 September 2015
Opening shop, putting orders together, meeting customers, assisting corporate clients and displaying new products.
Pros
Great products, lovely location
Cons
Manager rude and arrogant
No hours
Museum Enabler (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG8 July 2015
I get to do little to nothing of the job I love, which gives virally no chance to develop and hone my visitor service skills.
Pros
Love of the job
Cons
Little to no hours
Une expérience très agréable
Guide culturel (Former Employee) –  Birmingham20 June 2015
Grâce à mes collègues, mon stage au Musée de Birmingham était une expérience inoubliable qui m'a beaucoup aidé avec la rédaction du mémoire.
Productive.
Voluntary Assistant Curator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham14 June 2015
Interesting and knowledgeable, i really enjoyed learning about cultures and different periods in history. This is a great job for people that want to keep on their toes and keep learning.
Volunteer Work
Aston Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham30 April 2015
I do not receive any salary or benefits as I am a volunteer. The people and ethic are both encouraging signs to somebody hoping to work in the museum sector. The job prospects are not.
Good place
Volunteer at Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG24 July 2014
- If you are a volunteer you will receive a lot of support from the staff here
- There are a lot of training courses that are offered to the volunteers which might be very useful in your future job application
- The staff is nice and very supportive