Birmingham City University Employee Reviews

Really good place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom15 June 2018
I loved working at University ,i enjoyed working with my seniors....dealing with students and doing things for them and by helping them bind there assignments ...
Busy Office
Programme Administrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands7 June 2018
Deadlines for student records and working along side academic staff.
Dealing with student records and ensuring that they are accurate. confirming progression and awards.
Managing the apprentices and collaborative programmes.
Pros
Learning on the go
Cons
difficult to progress futher
Lacked consistent teaching in some areas
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 May 2018
Some extremely positive areas to being a student but management lets it down. Lack of student support while in placements with often conflicting advice given
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 April 2018
Each day was pretty simple, help visitors get to the right venues and provide them information packs about the university. Engaging with visitors and making them feel comfortable. Since joining the team i have become a more confident individual, it has helped me with my communication and i no longer shy away from talking to strangers.
Pros
Communication
Student Ambassador
Student Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 April 2018
Great Experience whilst a student at university. I felt as though my opinions and others were listened to, and that Birmingham City University was proactive to make improvements for students.
Easy going effective workplace.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands21 March 2018
My job was a very small role within Birmingham City but overall was great as a little boost for income. A typical day included a briefing on the tasks we had to uphold, organising when students had interviews, answering their questions and having a general chat and then tidying the work area.
Managers were effective on the job but in terms of communication through emails lacked punctuality and not all shifts were confirmed straight away or informed if needed for a shift. Could improve by giving more opportunities to those employed instead of waiting on the odd email. The hardest part of the job was probably being able to keep in time with tutors schedules so that new students weren't unhappy with having to wait a little longer for their interview but it wasn't really a huge issue. The most enjoyable was being allowed to speak freely to new students in a casual manor so they enjoy their interview process and promotes the University's friendly environment.
Pros
Free lunches and hot drinks all day and a good salary for part time work.
Cons
Not a lot of shifts and a lot of free time waiting between sessions.
Becoming a very cut throat employer.
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 February 2018
Used to be a good employer however has become an uncaring employer. A series of poor quality vice chancellors in quick succession seems to have changed the work ethic at the University.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Poor senior management.
Good managers
Security Officer/CCTV Operator (Former Employee) –  Perry Barr, West Midlands25 January 2018
I enjoyed working at BCU the management were professional and always accessible.Our trading was excellent ,personal safety was paramount and PSE was supplied.
Pros
Close knit team, excellent equipment
Cons
Not enough guards
Birmingham University
Hairdressing Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom3 January 2018
I went to Birmingham University for a day and went in the hair salon, i learnt how to dry and style hair in the right way. I never got paid as it was work experience but I enjoyed it.
Pros
Learnt new skills
Cons
One day only
Student Academic Mentor (Ambassador) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands18 December 2017
The staff at Birmingham City University are very supportive and are willing to help you,
There is a fun and relaxed environment where employees can be productive.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Hour
Student Nurse
Student paediatric nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham7 December 2017
I spent my time between University and placement. I have now gained my degree and I am due to start work in January 2018. I enjoyed my time at the university.
Productive and demanding
Demonstrator in Electronic Principles (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 December 2017
A typical day would start of with a preparing the lab equipment and making sure everything is in place including the lab sheets. I have learned numerous of skills during my time as a demonstrator such as working under pressure and working effectively in a team.
Pros
hands on experience
Cons
great attention of detail is required
Worked there 20 years
Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham6 November 2017
I have worked for the university for 20 years. I started working for BCU as an apprentice, and have moved through the ranks. BCU give a good holiday entitlement.
Pros
Good holiday entitlement
Cons
Long Hour
Great staff members. Enthusiastic and driven
Head Rugby Coach (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 October 2017
Ive only besn working here a short time but i could i speak any higher of BCU. Friendly and helpful staff members. Very ambitious club to be a part of.
Great training provider
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 October 2017
Great training provider. Great support from members of staff who are always ready to help with whatever you may need support with. There also many training opportunities to help you gain skills.
No Opportunities for Art Historians
Visiting Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 September 2017
My PhD supervision was fantastic although information from the faculty, with regard to what to do post PhD was virtually non-existant. Furthermore, because the university cut their last Art History MA course in 2017, there are no teaching opportunities for postgraduates like me.
Pros
Great supervision
Cons
There are no opportunities for art historians to teach or progress.
University
Business School Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 September 2017
Fantastic institution for learning and a great place to work as an ambassador. Absolutely would recommend either working or studying here. Many have developed into prosperous adults due to this place
Educational Based
Employment Advisor (Current Employee) –  West Midlands6 September 2017
Working here is very enlighten, supportive and makes you feel driven in the service you are providing.

I learn more about wanting to educate and establish myself, the management are very supportive and encouraging.

The hardest part of the role, is getting the individuals I support to have self confidence and self belief, but that's why im in this role, to help them build on their skills
Pros
Additonal Education
Cons
not required
Fun and lots of teamwork
Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 August 2017
Enjoyed my position as a School Rep in BCU. Best part was being able to meet and interact with students from different levels and faculties. Together, you understand and can relate to student issues and resolve them and enhance student experiences.
Pros
Teamwork, easy
Cons
Unorganised
Badly run
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 July 2017
Run by academics for academics. Technical staff not appreciated and HR department horrendous to deal with. Everything takes ages to get done, lots of paperwork and inefficient systems.
The people in charge would never survive in the real world. Bullying culture from management, and many instances of reorganisations resulting in salary and grade cuts. Avoid working here.
Work colleagues though were supportive.
Pros
Work colleagues friendly
Cons
Poor Management culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Birmingham City University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2