Birmingham City University Employee Reviews

Good
Senior Tester (Current Employee) –  Birmingham20 November 2018
BCU is a good place to work.

They have latest cloud and technology in place. I discovered my potential in this company and decided to take the next step ahead.

I wish to work as a contract tester and hence looking to move forward.
Intellectually stimulating
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 November 2018
BCU was an intellectually stimulating place to work but HE is becoming increasingly more about economics and less about intellectual pursuit. The workplace was a friendly environment.
Poor management and equipment maintenence
Estates staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham1 November 2018
University as a whole good place to work with most people welcoming to new staff.
Some departments not run well with badly trained staff or management with no experience of managing staff and equipment to be used by staff in a poor condition or not safe for staff to use due to bad condition or not reaching good levels for health and safety.
Pros
Good place to work generally
Cons
Equipment not in best condition
Work environment
Welcome Team Member (Former Employee) –  Birmingham22 October 2018
Staff are friendly and approachable and a wonderful environment to work in. Staff are further responsive and always to open to help. Needs are met and adhered to, to ensure colleague satisfaction.
Fun and condusive
Enrolment Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 October 2018
Very understanding people
Work culture is good
Relaxed is what a typical is like
Easy to navigate through
Having to leave was the hardest part
I will happily return
I am professional at work
Course Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 October 2018
A professional, reliable and enthusiastic business administrator who has the capacity for success, recently graduated with an MBA, he is honest, flexible and reliable, with determination to succeed, who also has the ability to independently plan and direct business affairs promptly, good communication skills with a customer service mind- set.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
unprofessional
Mentor (Former Employee) –  birmingham city university17 September 2018
A productive and fun environment to work. The job role i was given was self-gratifying, helping students further their education and professional skills. The hardest part of the job would have been the lack of help/ information given when trying to access university resources. However, the management was professional and the staff were supportive and able to provide any extra information needed.
Pros
rewarding job
Cons
not very many hours
excellent
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 September 2018
supportive, helpful, excellent placements, great opportunities, training opportunities excellent, study materials good, supportive experienced tutors, class materils good
Pros
student bar
Cons
Good place to work - would happily go back
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham29 August 2018
BCU was a very friendly place to work - I had a fairly long term contract there with no major issues.

It's a little chaotic and suffers from the usual public sector indecision and multi tiered hierarchy you'd expect but you can't fault them for their passion for education.

The whole place was going through a major re-org whilst I was there so this would skew any views of management. However this did lead to a rise in the number of managers who foolishly thought that institutionalised FTE staff could replace highly experienced contractors.
Pros
Good working hours, flexible and some tele commuting.
Cons
Management decision making process
Wonderful staff
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham25 July 2018
Enjoyed working there. Was gutted that as a VT there was not enough work to keep me sustained otherwise I would not have moved on.

As with any place like this, there are politics. Best thing to do is to avoid them unless it is something you are really passionate about.
Really good place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom15 June 2018
I loved working at University ,i enjoyed working with my seniors....dealing with students and doing things for them and by helping them bind there assignments ...
Busy Office
Programme Administrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands7 June 2018
Deadlines for student records and working along side academic staff.
Dealing with student records and ensuring that they are accurate. confirming progression and awards.
Managing the apprentices and collaborative programmes.
Pros
Learning on the go
Cons
difficult to progress futher
Lacked consistent teaching in some areas
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 May 2018
Some extremely positive areas to being a student but management lets it down. Lack of student support while in placements with often conflicting advice given
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 April 2018
Each day was pretty simple, help visitors get to the right venues and provide them information packs about the university. Engaging with visitors and making them feel comfortable. Since joining the team i have become a more confident individual, it has helped me with my communication and i no longer shy away from talking to strangers.
Pros
Communication
Student Ambassador
Student Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 April 2018
Great Experience whilst a student at university. I felt as though my opinions and others were listened to, and that Birmingham City University was proactive to make improvements for students.
Easy going effective workplace.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands21 March 2018
My job was a very small role within Birmingham City but overall was great as a little boost for income. A typical day included a briefing on the tasks we had to uphold, organising when students had interviews, answering their questions and having a general chat and then tidying the work area.
Managers were effective on the job but in terms of communication through emails lacked punctuality and not all shifts were confirmed straight away or informed if needed for a shift. Could improve by giving more opportunities to those employed instead of waiting on the odd email. The hardest part of the job was probably being able to keep in time with tutors schedules so that new students weren't unhappy with having to wait a little longer for their interview but it wasn't really a huge issue. The most enjoyable was being allowed to speak freely to new students in a casual manor so they enjoy their interview process and promotes the University's friendly environment.
Pros
Free lunches and hot drinks all day and a good salary for part time work.
Cons
Not a lot of shifts and a lot of free time waiting between sessions.
Becoming a very cut throat employer.
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 February 2018
Used to be a good employer however has become an uncaring employer. A series of poor quality vice chancellors in quick succession seems to have changed the work ethic at the University.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Poor senior management.
Good managers
Security Officer/CCTV Operator (Former Employee) –  Perry Barr, West Midlands25 January 2018
I enjoyed working at BCU the management were professional and always accessible.Our trading was excellent ,personal safety was paramount and PSE was supplied.
Pros
Close knit team, excellent equipment
Cons
Not enough guards
Birmingham University
Hairdressing Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom3 January 2018
I went to Birmingham University for a day and went in the hair salon, i learnt how to dry and style hair in the right way. I never got paid as it was work experience but I enjoyed it.
Pros
Learnt new skills
Cons
One day only
Student Academic Mentor (Ambassador) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands18 December 2017
The staff at Birmingham City University are very supportive and are willing to help you,
There is a fun and relaxed environment where employees can be productive.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Hour

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Birmingham City University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2