Birmingham City University

Birmingham City University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom115 reviews
Focused on Objectives and Reults
A complex organisation focused on getting the best results for its students.

Level of staff very professional and committed to the task of delivering best possible outcomes.

Collaborative culture, multi cultural and harmonious in nature.

Generally long hours but an enjoyable place to work

Excellent systems and working environment
Casual part time work
Being a student ambassador at BCU was a fun way to earn a bit of money, whilst being a student. Uniform and casual training was provided. Process was all very easy.
During my time at BCU I was asked to be a Student Representative. The role prepared me for working closely with students and tutors to enhance learning.
Mental health
I had a hard time with this university due being dyslexic, no support, don't really understand a person with dyslexic with remember loss due to exams conditions which my dyslexic , wouldn't recommend
Productive and fun work place
very friendly and supportive staff at the work. Always care about colleague . Flexible work culture and have the opportunity to give your opinion during monthly meeting.
Productive and fun place
Good place to work. One can learn new things. Focus of the university is learning in easy way and my individual experience has been very nice. Faculty is very supportive.
Student job
Working in the uni that I am currently studying is pretty good. They provide you with everything. The only downside is that timetables are not as flexible as you might like.
nice place to work
As a student demonstrator I only worked a few hours a week. during them few few hours i recived all the help I would need and really enjoyed it. Would recomend
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Birmingham City University?
enjoyable
very nice place to work, good team, good environment, easy job, pay not very good but fair for the work which was easy. would work there again if role came up.
Friendly and exciting.
Got to take charge of situations and interact with lots of people in a friendly and fast paced environment. Meeting lots of different people of all levels of education and encouraging prospective new students feel welcome.
Good environment to work in
Good place to work, can be a little dysfunction. There is often a divide between academics and support staff. Opportunities for advancement and help with future careers
did not work here was a student
I was a student here, as an online masters student in psychology I had a great experience. The professors are passionate and great to work with. I love the system where all the deadlines and assignments are upfront. So if you want to do all assignments in the first month you can. You can work according to your own schedule, at your own pace. Miles better than my last university where assignments where given two weeks beforehand in which just creates stress for no reason. The lectures are engaging and the range of topics covered is varied, the assignments are given where open-ended. So I could focus on one topic throughout building a portfolio of research on a specific topic I wanted to focus on, which is great.
Flexible work and great management team.
Many opportunities for training.

Great people to work with.

Always busy and get to meet different people from all walks of life
Enjoyable and enriching place to work
I loved learning about different topics whilst supporting different students, and empowering them to achieve their full potential whilst studying at university.
The lecturers are all wonderful and supportive of their students too.
Student
Great place to study, good educational place, great lecturers, nice environment to be studying in. I really enjoyed my time there and would recommend to anyone.
Productive and fun workplace
A good place to work if you're a student here, salary is good and your constantly learning and figuring out queries that will occur in a certain section of what you are good at!
Pros
pay is good, hours are good, culture is good
Cons
payment takes a long time to come through
Awful management
Managers and HR dreadful are not there to support staff very one sided.
Report something wrong and it turns round on you even if you are whistleblowing
Pros
Wages
Cons
Like dictatorship
Good people, poorly managed; YMMV
Having both acquired my postgraduate degree and worked within the Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment school, I have seen the function of this faculty both from without and within.

The majority of the staff are satisfied with their roles, but management is difficult to communicate with and ignores many valid concerns of various workers, including insufficient DSE adaptation and office conditions.

The culture is good, with staff forming friendships and spending time together outside of work hours; though many lecturers consider themselves little more than teachers, with less research being undertaken than in many other institutions and a focus on filled seats and good survey scores.
Pros
Flexible hours, excellent benefits
Cons
Poor management, poor office space
Lovely place to work
Comfortable place to work with great people they are welcoming.
You do you job on your own with your own task which is great for space and concentration.

Lovely food complimentary to chefs
Pros
Free lunch and lovely people
Cons
Long hours, difficulty in destinations
Fun and flexible
The university provides a youthful environment and I was very fun to work with different departments. It is a very flexible working environment and it allows room for development
Great
Great to work for BCU, friendly staff, education environment, helpful staff. I would like to work for them again if I get opportunity. Hopefully I can do in the future. :)