Birmingham City Council Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Administration Assistant plus more (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 November 2018
Each day was different as there was lots of events and functions going on. Learnt about the structure of local government and how each department work together to help the population in housing issues, education and refuse issues. Management were excellent and this helped staff go to work and give it their 100% every day. There was no hard part of the job really except when deadlines had to met but as you felt valued you always met the deadlines.
Pros
Excellent management, Good career. Never bored.
Cons
Some departments are on call out especially should there be a disaster ie flooding.
Great balance
General Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 November 2018
As a single working mom with children who were school aged, this job aloud me to send my kids off to school and being home when they finished. it also helped the job was term time only, so i didn't have to find child care for the school holidays!!
Fair place to work
Team Leader/Advisor, Education (Former Employee) –  City Centre2 November 2018
The day would be varied from attending business meetings to conducting supervisions.

I enjoyed being involved in streamlining the processes and implementing them.
productive workplace with promation prospects until recently
Professional support Services Team Leader (Former Employee) –  woodcock street10 October 2018
This was quite a very secure organisation, but due to cuts, my post was deleted.
I have worked for various departments, gaining knowledge and skills in order to develop myself and support and coach others o that they could go o to more senior roles. Due to restructure and cuts. My post was deleted and I left BCC in September 2018.
Pros
Training / development / Flexi time
Cons
Re struture, job cuts
lunch time safety
birmingham (Former Employee) –  birmingham5 October 2018
i made sure all children had something to eat and drink and were safely doing so i also made sure all children were safe outside in playground aalso taking care of minor first aid
Property assistant
Property Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 October 2018
My review ,started off at City Concil in the late 80 s then it was not so hard to obtain employment .. A typical day involved meeting with management regarding the days proceedings amongst other things , but as the years went by things changed dramatically

Managers liased by email , wereby that personal touched wa lost .

,it was more about outcome and not how the person felt.

The hardest part trying to arrange a mmeting to voice any concern , which them caused worker to be be hostile .

Most enjoyable part working with external customers and achieving positive , outcomes then credit was taken by mangers .
Pros
Not been able to voice concerns
Cons
Too much red tape, and you the worker had to shoulder most of these
Worked in a children's centre
Nursery officer and Family support worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham28 September 2018
Worked for BCC for over 10 years in a children's centre and was given the opportunity to advance my career with numerous courses. I was also able to take up a position in the family support area until another company took over this area.
Good manager's and good workforce
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 September 2018
My typical day was working on the rewire team.also worked on the voids team and day to day. Working within all health and safety rules was a must. I hold a clean driving licence and am willing to drive out of Birmingham.
Working with colleagues who want to be treated equally in the work place.
Legal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodcock Street, Birmingham B7 4LB18 August 2018
I believe I was good in myprevious role until it changed to Birmingham Childrens Trust when the training I should have got three months prior to the change did not take place. Had the training been given to me I believe I would have managed my new roles better.
Pros
Meals at the place of work can be taken
Cons
The Council care for all ethnic backgrounds, Working alongside colleagues with same work ethics, Management help to progress career prospects, Learning new skills to progress the future of The Council, Working for the Council is a job well earned, Becoming a permanent member of The Council instead of an Agency worker, The work I did at The Council was valuable to me as well as The Council.
overall a good company
Gym instructor/Lifeguard (38 hour weekly) (Former Employee) –  West Midlands17 August 2018
Okay company to work for,lack of progression,friendly staff.working hours are good,pay you on time,however mostly work on a 0 hour contract,management are overall okay.
Pros
good work, family time balance
Cons
poor uniform, false promises
Good
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 August 2018
Had no problems extra ppe was provided when needed tools and equipment were maintained and the management was fair and thoughtful
Summer contracts night
good company
Payroll Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 July 2018
I worked on a four weekly payroll. I entered starters, leavers, made adjustments to the individuals payrolls, i.e.court orders, bike to work.
calculated ssp, smp
Fun energetic place to wrk
Team Leader/Driver (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 July 2018
A really good place to work with people from all types of backgrounds working here.the managemnet are ok as long as ur seen to completing work then they leave u alone not strict at all and the managementvteam that I have had dealings with have been very helpful and supportive a job for lif if ur lucky enough to keep one
Pros
Excellent working hours
Cons
Some of the people u wrk with smell
Reasonable
Clerical assistant (Former Employee) –  pay freeze, stale management3 July 2018
Reasonable place to work although more stressful after all the cuts and pay has been frozen foryears which means a pay cut. management seem to stay for all the wrong reasons- need fresh management
Pros
flexible working
A great place to work with a variety of in house facilities
Account Executive Commissioning Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham25 June 2018
A typical day can be very productive depending how you plan your work. Clarity in communication and co-ordination with stakeholders is very important.
Pros
Flexible time, working from home, hot desking
Cons
Breakdown in communication, IT issues
dreadful
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 June 2018
Dreadful place to work, treated like a robot, not interested in helping customers just sticking to targets. No parking senior management useless!!!!!!!
hard work in winter
Street Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 June 2018
deceny people to work with and as i say very cold working outside during the winter months the management were very easy going and very friendly and the rest andrecreation facilities were also very good
Pros
ok in summer
Cons
notin winter
fun workplace
Casual Pupil Guide (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 May 2018
I've learnt more in this placement than any other, was given the chance to actually work and show that i am capable and reliable. That i can overcome obstacles and was as an individual.
Pros
Everyday was a learning experience.
Cons
Mobiles were not allowed to be charged on premesis.
Varied opportunities and challenges
Comissioning Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands17 May 2018
Experience in a wide range of areas and opportunities which enabled me to develop new and existing skills. Very supportive colleagues and managers. Really enjoyed the variety on a daily basis and it was very rare that any 2 days were the same.
Good Overall
Computer Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham13 May 2018
Good job to take up however had to give up due to life events and as I was employed as a temporary teacher, therefore did not get paid for all of the holidays
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Secure