Birmingham City Council Employee Reviews

Working Environment
ASSISTANT HOUSING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands18 April 2019
Great colleagues, excellent training very productive but can be challenging at times but everyone pull together. Good in-house training, supportive management
Pros
Good working environment
Lack of Moral
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Erdington, West Midlands21 March 2019
You were treated as a number and not a person, management did not give a care about you, you were there to do a job and that was it. Some people were there just to socialise and not do any work and the management sat back and allowed it.
Pros
Flexi working hours
Cons
Bad management
Hard work.
Waste Management Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham20 March 2019
For the abuse you receive from the public to the bad pay.. Really hard to enjoy this job.
Nobody appreciates the work you put in and to climb the ladder you need to have worked here for atleast 10 years.
Pros
Double pay in bank holiday
Cons
Horric empathy
Fun
Park Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 March 2019
Had a 2 weeks working experience when I was at school had no problems.
Fun Van rides, working along with some brilliant people, it was a good experience
Poor
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Arrow, UK29 January 2019
Poorly run area within the council could do with significant development and improvement. low salary for the abuse which is received by the clientele.
Challenging - no day is the same
Housing Needs Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands31 December 2018
Working as a Housing Needs Officer presents many challenges on a daily basis. Each day is never the same. A typical day involves interviewing members of the public who are homeless or are threatened in becoming homeless. You learn very quickly in how to build a rapport with the applicant, listening carefully to their issues and then making the best possible decision with the directorates resources at hand to help them relieve their situation. The workplace culture is fast paced and can be chaotic. Members of the public can be rude and aggressive so a ones needs to be resilient, tactful and assertive. The role is rewarding especially when an applicant who has lost all hope in their housing situation is given a "life-line" to get themselves and their children accommodated in the best possible way.
When had right number of staff it was smooth running but a lot of time less staff more pressure on staff to cover calls
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mere green21 December 2018
I worked until volunteer redundancy I enjoyed the work and meeting people I got on well with management I learnt how to mix with all cultures my nvm 1,2,3, other skills like manual handling food hygiene,the hardest part of the job was not having time between calls for traveling, most enjoyable was meeting all sorts of people and getting to know the way others lived
Pros
My hours of work suited my life
Cons
The hours of day I can work
No very good
Site Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 December 2018
I have worked for BCC for over 17 years, work life balance does not exist.
The expectations are that you carry out your duties with no support whatsoever.
Pros
Working in school environment
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Administration Assistant plus more (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 November 2018
Each day was different as there was lots of events and functions going on. Learnt about the structure of local government and how each department work together to help the population in housing issues, education and refuse issues. Management were excellent and this helped staff go to work and give it their 100% every day. There was no hard part of the job really except when deadlines had to met but as you felt valued you always met the deadlines.
Pros
Excellent management, Good career. Never bored.
Cons
Some departments are on call out especially should there be a disaster ie flooding.
relaxed working environment.
Licensing Enforcement Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham England16 November 2018
Licensing provide a high complex working environment for individuals whom wish to progress their career.
enjoyable and flexible working environment.
Pros
paid lunch, 32 days holiday
Cons
lack of career progression
Great balance
General Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 November 2018
As a single working mom with children who were school aged, this job aloud me to send my kids off to school and being home when they finished. it also helped the job was term time only, so i didn't have to find child care for the school holidays!!
Fair place to work
Team Leader/Advisor, Education (Former Employee) –  City Centre2 November 2018
The day would be varied from attending business meetings to conducting supervisions.

I enjoyed being involved in streamlining the processes and implementing them.
productive workplace with promation prospects until recently
Professional support Services Team Leader (Former Employee) –  woodcock street10 October 2018
This was quite a very secure organisation, but due to cuts, my post was deleted.
I have worked for various departments, gaining knowledge and skills in order to develop myself and support and coach others o that they could go o to more senior roles. Due to restructure and cuts. My post was deleted and I left BCC in September 2018.
Pros
Training / development / Flexi time
Cons
Re struture, job cuts
lunch time safety
birmingham (Former Employee) –  birmingham5 October 2018
i made sure all children had something to eat and drink and were safely doing so i also made sure all children were safe outside in playground aalso taking care of minor first aid
Property assistant
Property Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 October 2018
My review ,started off at City Concil in the late 80 s then it was not so hard to obtain employment .. A typical day involved meeting with management regarding the days proceedings amongst other things , but as the years went by things changed dramatically

Managers liased by email , wereby that personal touched wa lost .

,it was more about outcome and not how the person felt.

The hardest part trying to arrange a mmeting to voice any concern , which them caused worker to be be hostile .

Most enjoyable part working with external customers and achieving positive , outcomes then credit was taken by mangers .
Pros
Not been able to voice concerns
Cons
Too much red tape, and you the worker had to shoulder most of these
Worked in a children's centre
Nursery officer and Family support worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham28 September 2018
Worked for BCC for over 10 years in a children's centre and was given the opportunity to advance my career with numerous courses. I was also able to take up a position in the family support area until another company took over this area.
Good manager's and good workforce
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 September 2018
My typical day was working on the rewire team.also worked on the voids team and day to day. Working within all health and safety rules was a must. I hold a clean driving licence and am willing to drive out of Birmingham.
Working with colleagues who want to be treated equally in the work place.
Legal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodcock Street, Birmingham B7 4LB18 August 2018
I believe I was good in myprevious role until it changed to Birmingham Childrens Trust when the training I should have got three months prior to the change did not take place. Had the training been given to me I believe I would have managed my new roles better.
Pros
Meals at the place of work can be taken
Cons
The Council care for all ethnic backgrounds, Working alongside colleagues with same work ethics, Management help to progress career prospects, Learning new skills to progress the future of The Council, Working for the Council is a job well earned, Becoming a permanent member of The Council instead of an Agency worker, The work I did at The Council was valuable to me as well as The Council.
overall a good company
Gym instructor/Lifeguard (38 hour weekly) (Former Employee) –  West Midlands17 August 2018
Okay company to work for,lack of progression,friendly staff.working hours are good,pay you on time,however mostly work on a 0 hour contract,management are overall okay.
Pros
good work, family time balance
Cons
poor uniform, false promises
Good
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 August 2018
Had no problems extra ppe was provided when needed tools and equipment were maintained and the management was fair and thoughtful
Summer contracts night