Birmingham City Council

Birmingham City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom345 reviews
Great place to work particularly if you are indigenous to Birmingham. This makes you more committed to the region.

Priorities and tasks changed daily.....really nice people on the whole. Some senior managers lacked clarity and communication and forward planning......naive management at times observed bordering on bullying...but that seems the same or worse at other companies....sign of the times.

I would recommend them as an employer.
Birmingham city Council did not care about your wellbeing,especially grade 2,I did great work for them and then I had a nervous breakdown that I ended up in hospital
Cons
can be stressful as they are lots of things you have to do. I mainly did admin for the first day like printing or sorting papers out which needed to go in the printer.
I work for Birmingham Council for 11 years at first it was OK. By my last threw years there it was awful the manger don't no how to. Talk to staff and become we were cleaners we got treat different they are some clever people on the cleaning staff its just that they have not had the breaks in life we went to work to do are best and do the best we cud not get talk to like kids
My review satisfied really happy in myself confidence with my job learning new things every day.some times it can be quite challenging from day to day.
Very good team work, well looked after with training ongoing; learning new ways of doing work efficiently and fair pay with varying projects.
good promotion progression .
Great People, Great fun , friendly place . Was made welcome straight away , even though it was work experience they treated me with respect . Got great experience from great people.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Early start, late finish. Difficult situation with limited support. Management structure not of decent quality. Dealing with difficult situations on own.
Busy, great characters, political, concern for your well being, training, new legislation, challenging, customers, site visits, community working, contractor liaison
Pros
flexi time
Cons
Political
A typical day is very busy. Especially when short staffed. That said I love my job. It's demanding but rewarding. I love getting to know the children I also love the holidays as it fits in with my home life.
I enjoyed working at BCC until there were several team redundancies. The facilities were good, canteen serving good food, coffee facilities on each floor.
Didn’t want to leave a review but have no option as the site doesn’t allow me to move forward without leaving one Birmingham is an inclusive place of all cultures and a very diverse city
Good staff and good working culture, supportive environment for new staff, would like to see the diversity of the city being reflected throughout all the levels of the management structure,
A typical year at work includes no central group discussion on how your role within a section or department is integral to how a section or department wishes to proceed or to how it performs so you're left wondering what your aim is.
Should you have any aspirations to progress, then you will be overlooked even when a post becomes available, regardless of your skill set or experience but you will be given every opportunity for training courses so you can be used freely so as to train other senior posts above you, or if not to do their work that will get delegated to you.

You can have drinks and cigarette breaks to suit. Overall, the City are deceptive as an employer and set high, unrealistic and unachievable targets. The initiative that you will progress is a falsehood so you lack incentive and overall you will not receive management support or structure.
Pros
Surviving the day and going home.
Cons
Overworked and lack of appreciation.
It was a fast paced job however very rewarding. Never had any issues in regards to payments, always had support available and the PDR process was helpful in getting a pay rise
Great to work for initially but the latter years were more stressful to me meeting targets and training apprentices and trainees. We didn't get a pay increase inline with the public sector for over 10 years which didn't help.
I am still awaiting for a interview with the council.
Hopefully to here off them soon.

I would be a big advantage to Birmingham city council as I am willing to learn all they can give me so that my job would be easy for me and the council.
• Dealing with housing related queries and complaints
• Providing updates on housing applications

• Liaising with third party organisations

• Adhering to company policies and procedures

• Adhering to GDPR

• Utilizing communication skills

• Time management

• Sharing prioritising workloads

My favourite part was engaging with customers from all backgrounds and providing a solution to any issues regarding their online applications.

The hardest part of the role was trying to resolve issues with irate customer's frustrated at the timeframe the Birmingham City Council application was taking to be assessed approved and activated. This was an integral part of the registration process in order for customers to start biding for properties according to their specific housing needs based on the information provided in the initial online application.
A good 10 months or so in a new environment, new career. I've discovered that my future lies working with young people.
I'm grateful for the experience as a learning mentor but now i wish to specialize in well-being / counselling.
Enjoyable environment, friendly colleagues and staff,

High demand on work and timescales.

Management was support and gave good supervision.

Making a change to childrens lives was difficult but always enjoyable when the outcome was positive
Not a nice place to work at when you do not have the support of Management. The job was very demanding no Manager support. No workplace culture like the workplace culture used to be.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Birmingham City Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Birmingham City Council Reviews by Location