Birkbeck, University of London

Birkbeck, University of London Employee Reviews

United Kingdom23 reviews
I have done a couple of summer school programs at Birkbeck, helping to facilitate mock trials for summer school students who were thinking of going into Law. Everyone I encountered at Birkbeck was so helpful, I would 100% recommend.
Pros
Loads of space to create and learn.
Cons
No cons for me.
A good place to work. Support is given where necessary and the exam team are very approachable. They send a timetable out so you can apply for the invigilating jobs for when you are free. The only downside is that you only get allocated a fraction of what you apply for.
Good learning environment for both young and matured students willing to better themselves by combining work and education. This is made possible by the evening classes available.
I really enjoyed working here, very varied job role, and no day was ever the same, each day was different. I worked in a really supportive team and had a fantastic team leader.
My time overall at Birkbeck was a good experience. I have nothing bad to say,
I would certainly consider working with them again, but in a different capacity.
A typical day at work involved invigilating during variety of examinations.This involves collecting exam paperwork from office, setting up the exam room, calling students in and beginning the exam.
Institution is struggling right now and it shows. Staff are struggling to manage workload over mass exodus following severance package offers. Getting out before departments merge.
Pros
Good pay, great collagues
Cons
Difficult workload
Felt genuinely valued and encouraged to develop my skills and take on new responsibilities.

The organisation has constantly successfully adapted to change over the time I’ve been there.
Pros
Friendly and supportive
Cons
Rigid hierarchy sometimes
Birkbeck have a great office environment as everyone helps each other is their roles. As Birkbeck has increased in size, the college has had difficulty employing the correct number of staff with the relevant work experience. Admin staff roles have a particularly high turnover due to the high numbers of students, stressful job expectation and nothing in place for a formal handover when new staff start. the benefit of a very high discount (90%) from course fee is meant to compensate for the fect that pays less than equivalent colleges in central london. Being a student is very rewarding at Birkbeck and if you wish for a cost effective way of getting a postgraduate degree.
Pros
Study support scheme (90%+ discount from courses offered at BBK), good office environment
Cons
large workload and stressful work environment during busiest time of year, managerial hierarchy prone to nepotism and cronyism.
A typical day was challenging; I was required to undertake a variety of tasks, many of which were expected to be performed at short notice. I found the management of an increasing workload especially difficult, but seeing the results of my work and the completion of individual projects was particularly rewarding. Above all, my time management and flexible working skills have improved enormously as a result of this experience. Birkbeck is a very sociable place to work with friendly and supportive colleagues, but my line management could have been more encouraging of my professional development and progression. On the whole, I have gained valuable professional experience and skills as a result of working here.
Pros
Sociable and supportive colleagues
Cons
Increasing workloads
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Birkbeck, University of London?
I don't know other departments and other labs but the Psychology Department and especially Babylab is not friendly. No orientation, no welcoming. People do not talk to each other. They don't even greet each other. So they don't know each other's works and they can't collaborate. The first email you receive is not to say hello but to say what you are not allowed to. It is also common to receive emails like "who did my porridge in the fridge?" or "this is not a place to chat if you want to chat go out of the building and chat there!" or "close the database!". People eat their sandwiches at their desks. I can't say enough. It is the most unfriendly place I have ever seen.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Unfriendly atmosphere
Great opportunity to lecture at a good university with interested students. Management and bureaucracy made day-to-day activities a little bit difficult to perform.
Great place to work, nice people, good salary. Location is in central London, nice and modern building. Only reason I left was because of lack of advancement in my role.
When you are the face of the university to new and potential students, you must transmit them the great energy you feel at the campus. Not only as a student but part of the academia world. Birkbeck has amazing features like evening study, job wise opportunities and a job consultancy department where tailored job offers are given to our students!
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Short hours
A very fun and dynamic place to work with plenty of opportunities. The environment is safe and pleasant.

My role is very rewarding and challenging at the same time. There is a lot of expectations and I am in a target driven environment.
Pros
diverse work culture
Cons
Evening hours
Couldn’t have asked for a better workplace to work at. Balancing work and university life appropriately, it has made me realise that this is an environment where I would see my career path leading to.
Pros
Free lunches, breaks, great management
Cons
Not enough hours available to work due to first come first serve basis.
Overall, it is a good and flexible place to work at. Very multicultural in nature and there is a lot to learn. Staff are very helpful in making new comers fit in with ease.
It is a great place to work. The lab facilities are very good especially that in the biology department.

The work life balance is great but it is evening based which is a little difficult at times.
With varied work history, I chose to take a three year course at Birkbeck to prepare for myself the career change that I sought after. The passion for art and media have led me to study a pathway of scriptwriting as well as developing creative skills with suite of digital softwares such as MS office, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro.
Birkbeck was a good place for me to work to fill a gap in my career. Staff are treated well although the salary is not so great. I only worked here on a temporary contract to fill a gap in between careers so I do not have too much to say about the company, but this review is compulsory to finish my profile.
The job was good and very productive.

On a day to day basis I spent a lot of time telephoning people and arranging meeting. As time went on I began to understand more and more about my role.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Birkbeck, University of London. Our community is ready to answer.
Birkbeck, University of London Reviews by Job Title