BGL Group Employee Reviews

Happy, positive environment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bretton North5 December 2019
Difficult to explain as no one day was the same as another. If you are prepared to work, concentrate, perform, and be a team player, you are in. If not this Company is not for you.
Productive and fun workplace.
Senior Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 December 2019
Excellent place to work. Collaborative atmosphere. Plenty of opportunity for career advancement, and employees are encouraged to develop their skills internally. Lots of perks.
Disgusting place to work
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sunderland25 November 2019
I worked at bgl for around 8 months and my experience working here was awful, my manager made awful comments to me simply because she didn’t like me. I then complained about her and it was brushed under the carpet, she then proceeded to make vile, inappropriate comments and told me that we were ‘having a battle, that I was never going to win’ which lead me to hand my notice as I was scared to go back into work.
Very rewarding and enjoyable workplace
School Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Peterborough8 October 2019
I learned about the marketing strategies of the business, and was invited to many meetings with colleagues. BGL really is a wonderful place to work with many benefits and i would recommend it to anyone.
Wonderful place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough2 October 2019
Great company, great training, lots of development opportunities. Great work ethic with regards to bullying, swearing and aggressive behaviour. I would recommend this company as a great place to work.
Poor Place To Work
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear29 September 2019
Not the best place to work, hours are awful, not set hours and change daily, mash up between lates and earlies and have your times changing by quarter hour intervals.

Little care for their staff, its always busy but supervisors are constantly on your back for targets even if you hit them every month, they are often messing the customers about with fees and dont allow you to amend it till its passed onto them then they remove them and undermine their staff. Because of thisnyounget constant grief from customers.

If your friends with the managers you can get away with anything, have some bully supervisors who like to pick on the women, have seen them throw stuff at them, make them cry but nothing is done about it. Yet if you need the toilet then you expect an interrogation.

Often hire apprentices and go on sacking missions as its half the wage bill dealt with, staff are constantly stressed out and turn over is massive as many staff only last a few weeks.

Get free fruit though if your on earlies and people havent taken it all home. If your on lates the canteen is closed so you have nowhere to get food unless you bring it yourself.

Impossible to get parked.
Pros
Free fruit
Cons
Bad hours, bad management, company only interested in profits
Not worth the salary
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Peterborough21 September 2019
Job itself is quite stress free as long as you don't take things from customers personally however the way things are run is awful in terms of how the business views the employees time in contrast to their time. If you are 3 minutes late you have to make that time back at the end of your shift but if you are caught on the phone after your shift you have to be there for 15 minutes before you get paid for your time. Time also becomes an issue when it comes to loo breaks or getting a drink as if you are away from your desk for more than a couple of minutes expect to have management asking where you've been, if you're ok and what you've been doing.
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
too regimented
stressful and competitive
Apprentice Claims Advisor (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire14 September 2019
the hardest part of this job is the abuse you get from customers over the phone over whatever is going wrong even if you have nothing to do with it which is 90% of the time
poor management
Customer Claims Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wakefield24 August 2019
no mercy from management if they hate you and you don't fit in they will get rid of you poor structure avoid at all cost unrealistic expectations and targets
Fun workplace
When i first started i loved it, every single minute of it and the people i worked with were brilliant and i really did hope i could work there longer but i had to leave.
Pros
Great salary and great people to work with.
Cons
Long hours and it can be stressful sometimes.
Worst call centre ever
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear4 August 2019
Terrible to work for don’t care about your mental well being all about the figures and money. Greedy company and managers are horrible and two faced. Terrible treatment of staff.
Safe until they hire Apprentices
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Sunderland17 July 2019
It's a well known fact that apprentices earn less than the regular staff and this place is no exception, however what is obvious is when BGL start hiring lots of apprentices, people start being fired left and right for the smallest of things, whether it be call avoiding for using after call slightly too much when it wasn't a problem any other time, or for attendance even if you have a genuine problem like anxiety or depression. You're constantly told to sell additional products and you get into trouble for waiving a fee when a customer is being nice but yet you're encouraged to waive it when the customer is complaining. Thus punishing people for being nice too you but rewarding people for being horrible. Also the Managers on each brand actually don't know anything about the job as half of them have never actually worked on the phone.
Pros
Free Fruit (When available), Wages, Yearly Funday.
Cons
Unsociable hours (10pm finishes), unhelpful and unskilled Management and high Turnover when recruiting apprentices.
Could be better
Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire26 June 2019
Overall BGL is a good place to work. Better than most places. It is a very high demanding job dealing with distressed clients over the phone and logging car accidents. They offer a very competitive salary but I think this could be higher due to the job role and work load we take on. A few of the negatives about BGL is that the Wakefield office is a minority compared to the other offices in Peterborough and Sunderland. We do not get treated the same as the other office which makes us feel unappreciated because they get everything compared. Also, they control everything you do and are very strict on times. They tell you when to go on break and when to go on lunch, and if you’re 1 minute late you have to work 5 minutes back which I don’t think is fair. BUT, if you get held back by 5 mins you can’t claim this back unless it’s over 15 mins.
Pros
Competitive Salary
Cons
Hours / Shifts
ok
Claims Adviser (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire12 June 2019
dealing with customer complaints, car claims, hire, reapir and personal injury to drivers or passangers along with motor legal claims. very fast paste job
Pros
free fruit
Fun,
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire14 May 2019
worked there for arround 3 months and while being there all i heard was fake people and gossip coming from the managers . office looks quite nice however the management is horrendous.
Collaborative and rewarding
HRIS Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire24 April 2019
A company that drive programmes hard but provides support and good direction. A can good with a positive team attitude which the support of senior management.
Stressful with little support
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear4 April 2019
I worked in the fusion office in Washington for 4 months, Constant stress over sales targets even though it was work in the insurance sector where promoting or selling is not permitted also i suffered from dyslexia and got no support at all and on top of that getting asked to go to the doctors again to get re diagnosed as proof.. and to top it all off after i left the company 7 months later i received a letter claiming i was in debt £400+ with the BGL group as they had over paid me only then to find out (after getting my case looked into) that i was only over paid by £200 and that they were trying to charge me for sick days (receiving this letter in November).
I have never endured so much stress from a job in my life
Pros
Perks i.e Meerkat Movies
Cons
Every aspect of the job/company
Good.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear19 March 2019
The short time I spent at BGL, It was enjoyable and management actually listened to their employees when problems came up and they dealt with it. I gave this score because Call Centres in general are the worst places to work.
Pros
Subsidised meals
Cons
Long Hours.
Expierience
Referrals Advisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire17 March 2019
BGL has been a great place for me to work for the last 12 years, starting in the call centre and working my way into other areas within the business. This experience has helped me to gain a wealth of insurance knowledge for me to move forward and grow in different areas.
Pros
Bonus & Benefits
Cons
Redunandancy
fun place to wok
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland28 February 2019
It typical day at work for me would have been answering customers calls regarding there car insurance policys and dealing with querys or questions. During my time i have learnt a lot about insurance and how to deal with customers correctly to get the best outcome. A call ceter can be a fun place to work due to other staff members you meet and also speaking to customers. For me the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing i had done my job corectly by and just to hear the relife in the customers voice that it was a easy process for them.
Pros
free breakfast on weekends
Cons
fast environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BGL Group. Our community is ready to answer.