Berkshire College of Agriculture

Berkshire College of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work, fantastic setting with a mix of historic buildings and modern facilities. Good culture of support around the college, with staff engaging well with others. All staff are fully engaged with working towards supporting the students of the college. Although there was no particular 'hard' part of the job, if you do not cope well with noise, stay away from certain areas of the college! For me though, I liked the energy and bustling nature of the place. I also believe there was strong leadership in place during my time there, and I always felt fully informed of changes and developments both within my department and the wider college.
i learnt a lot about the different animals i have been taught about and good experience and you meet a lot of new friends in your class good teacher and good practical lesson learning how to drive a tractor
Good College, I enjoy it. I study animal Management. We do practical and we do written work too. I go on a Monday, Tuesday & A Wednesday, 9am to 4:15 PM.
You cannot fault the lovely setting that is the BCA Campus. The staff here are all friendly and collaborative and the students are polite, respectful and interesting individuals. I have really enjoyed coming to work here each day. The only reason I look to move is that salaries within the education sector are limiting and restricted for potential growth.
Pros
Lovely setting, friendly people, interesting college.
Cons
Salary potential.
This was a happy office and we all got on well like a small family, supporting each other. Plenty of opportunities available and training, allowing to improve skills and knowledge
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Distance to Travel
Typical say working well know two days were ever the same. I learned everything from scratch and was always looking for new opportunities. The management did change but they where always extremely supportive and pushed for the best out of there staff. There is always hard parts to the job and I would say the hardest was saying goodbye to some of the horses that had been there for years The enjoyable part was the fact you had a new experience and job everyday..
Pros
Balanced Pay
Cons
Long Hoyrs some days
Great people to work with, makes every day a good day. Good perks to the job. No day is the same. Based in the middle of 400 acres of beautiful agricultural land.
Lovely grounds and facilities. Lots of opportunities for school leavers. Good management Great place to work as staff are friendly.
Pros
Friendly place
Very varied work, no 2 days are the same. We cover all aspects of grounds maintenance from sports turf care to tree surgery to hay making. I manage a team of 6 when the Head Groundsman is absent. I most enjoy helping to train the apprentices and passing on my experience and knowledge to the rest of the team. My strengths are machinery operating, mainly driving tractors and telehandlers.
Pros
free gym on site
This job is generally enjoyable with a variety of jobs needed to be done. A good place to learn a trade and new skills to progress in the future.
BCA College is a fun and enthusiastic place to be. a typical day would be feeding and visual health checks through out the day, observing ewes for signs of labour. cleaning out sheep pens. observing new born to see if the mother accepts them, if not then bottle feed and keep lambs warm under special heat lamps checking for blocked mammary glands treating blocked mammory glands. I.D the new born when they get a few days old. I learnt how to ear knoch, castrate, ear tag, deworm, how to deliever lambs, how to spot labour signs. behaviour signs. co workers were enjoyable to be around, fun and worked really well as a team to ensure all ewes were healthy and stress levels kept to a minimum. the hardest part of the job was seeing the lambs get rejected and some not make it. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the lambs, and cleaning up after them.
Pros
Cons
distance from home