Bents Garden & Home

Bents Garden & Home Employee Reviews

United Kingdom41 reviews
The work day was boring but the shifts where short. The managent would ignore younger employees. Some fellow staff members where rude. However, my team leader was welcoming and helpful.
Pros
good pay
Cons
boring shifts. Terrable managers.
I did my workplace here and loved every minute of it. They have massive aims for the company. lovely staff and want to help everyone progress. Working at the company was good they have a wide range of roles and it was enjoyable.
It was a productive and fast-pace work environment.

it wasn't the best job, it was good as a start place after school but the only enjoyable factor was the people I met there. Management where very strict and in some cases unprofessional.
nice people, poor prospects, not a good wage, good Christmas party
bad traffic outside Bents, Poor management, no scope for progression, long hours, ha
14 April 2020
Thank you for taking your time to write a review.

I was really disappointed to read parts of your review; this is certainly not the experience we want any of our colleagues to have and feel whilst working for Bents. Although I was pleased you enjoyed our Christmas Party, we do love having our annual Colleague events.

We agree the traffic can be congested, we have raised a number of times with the local Council and the regular roadworks don’t help.

We always aim to complete an exit interview when a colleague leaves and this is one of our most powerful ways of communication and beneficial to help us understand further your concerns, if would be great if you are willing to give more feedback, please email one of the HR team on jobs@bents.co.uk.

In the meantime, we hope you are staying safe and wish you all the best.

Head of HR
They say there a family run business but they treat you like that your dirt on the bottom of their shoes. They fired someone over milk once. If your not an original staff member then you won’t get treated like part of a team . The bents themselves speak to you like your lower than them. They are really ruining the family name in the way they treat people . Avoid this place at all costs !!!!
Pros
Cons
Endless
9 March 2020
Thank you for your review.

We are always disappointed when a colleague leaves the business and I was really saddened to read of your experience whilst working at Bents; this is certainly not the experience we want any of our colleagues to feel whilst working at Bents and this does not represent our family values or leadership behaviours.

I would like to reassure that we haven’t ended anyone’s employment in regards to milk, so I apologise that this has been wrongly informed to you.

I’ve shared your comments with our Senior Team and Management Teams to review further.

Once again, we are really sorry that you have left feeling so aggrieved. We always aim to complete an exit interview when colleagues leave and this would have been beneficial to help us understand further your concerns, it would be great if you are willing to give more feedback, please email Kim Orson on jobs@bents.co.uk if we are able to complete this with you.

All the best for your future.

Warm Regards,

Katherine Bent
I worked there for my work experience
The staff gave me advices and I understood how it really is to dedicate yourself and communicate with customers.
14 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

It was lovely to read of your review, and we are really pleased that you were able to join us on your work experience and you had a great experience.

I will be pleased to share your review with our Clothing Department too.

All the best for your future and thank you again.

Katherine Bent
- Amazing development schemes within the business.
- You feel like part of the family here and you are a person not a number.

- Great work life balance for family with young children.

- Lots of work benefits.
Pros
Work life balance, Development, Work Benefits
14 January 2020
Thank you for your kind review.

The points you raise are really appreciated, we do value that we put colleagues at the heart of our business.

We look forward to continue working alongside you.

Katherine Bent
I really enjoyed my time here,I started as a Christmas temp and was kept on. I worked my way up to supervisor in the restaurant. Expect hard work,fast pace and hectic Christmas which starts in October.
14 January 2020
Thanks for leaving us a review, it was lovely to hear of your experience.

I agree, our Dining areas are very fast paced with lots of hard work, but also with lots of fun.

Thank you again for your lovely review, and we would like to wish you all the very best for your future.

Katherine Bent
Don’t work here just awful management don’t know what they are doing and rotas change all the time. High staff turnover unapproachable family who run the business. Terrible pay with no incentives they want a lot of work for nothing in return.
14 January 2020
Firstly let me apologise for the delay in my reply, and thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I was understandably disappointed and saddened to read of your experience as this goes against everything that we aim to achieve for our colleagues. I will be picking up your comments with our Senior Team.

I would like to thank you for your honest review, and wish you all the very best for your future.

Katherine Bent
I really enjoy working at Bents - it’s a none pressurised sales environment and this way you are able to really give the best every day. The people that work at Bents are amazing, and the management and leaders make you feel relaxed and always give you the time to chat with them. Bents has an exciting future which I’m glad to be part of.
Thank you for your review.

It was lovely reading your review, we have been working really hard to get things right so I loved your honest review.

We look forward to a great future together, and please do keep letting us know how we are doing with our Engagement Surveys and the Breakfast with Matthew communication sessions.

Katherine Bent
Became too remote for my location. Would have liked more consistant hours and maybe worked in a different section to suit my personality more. I.E the restaraunt which be more of an active role.
Thank you for your review.

I have noted your concerns in relation to the working hours, and will feed back to our Retail Leaders.

We are always happy to internally move colleagues especially if their skillset was more aligned to another part of our business. If your situation was to change in the future, please do reach out and we can have a look at opportunities within our Dining team.

In the meantime, we’d like to wish you all the very best.

Thank you for your review.

In the meantime, we’d like to wish you all the very best.

Katherine
Worst place I have ever worked management is very unprofessional and treat their employees like they don’t matter and with no respect not worth the hassle apple elsewhere a number of people left whilst I worked there and I only worked here 4 months
15 October 2019
Thank you for leaving us your review.

I was really saddened and disappointed to read of your experience, this is far from what we set out to achieve with our colleagues. I will be taking the time to go through your review details with our Leadership Team.

Once again, I’m so sorry of your experience and would like to wish you all the very best for your future.

15 October 2019
Thank you for leaving us your review.

Katherine
I worked at Bents for a few years, in the time I guess you could say that I had a few ups and downs.
You are really thrown into the deep end however that is the part of the job that allowed me to experience things properly, so I was able to develop my skills and work under pressure.

The managers that knew me knew my strengths and weaknesses and one of my supervisors worked well with me to understand me, whereas others didn't do so much. Everyone is very friendly, and everyone is there to work and meet the goals and standards that Bents shows and has. There is the sense of being equal with everyone else, but there is a clear hierarchy. Management frequently seemed to show who was a 'better' employee and a 'lesser' employee in the way that they behaved.

A good aspect would've been the small meetings to see what it was like working there, but the conversations in those small meetings would be forgotten once that room was left.

- more...
Pros
Staff discount, friendly people
Cons
Management, lack of understanding
Thank you for your review.

I was really disappointed to read part of your review, all our colleagues are at the heart of our business and shouldn’t be left to feel that they are lesser or others are better, so I am really sorry you were left to feel this way. I will be feeding your concerns back to our Leaders.

I was however pleased to read that we were able to develop your skills and the experience of working here has been of benefit to you.

Katherine

Sometimes, there was unfair treatment, and I felt that a lot but I wouldn't say that it affected me so much, it just made me feel like I didn't belong but that could've been in a particular department rather than all. I did enjoy working there sometimes, but there were some days where I felt like I didn't belong and I didn't deserve to be there. I worked as hard as I could but sometimes it didn't feel like I worked hard enough or that people were still disappointed in me. I was told I would do another job, or be moved elsewhere just to show my strengths and my advantageous skills but nothing happened. All I would say there are certain times where I felt
 - more...

Katherine
All of the staff were very friendly and made everybody feel welcome. I have learnt how to work with a team and develop new social skills, which can be taken further into my future jobs. The management team were helpful and encouraged staff to seek help when needed.
Pros
10% discount on items from the store
19 July 2019
Hello,

Thank you for leaving us a reply. It was lovely to hear of your experience, especially that we have been able to help you work within a team and develop new skills.

I am glad to read that you also found our management team helpful, I will be sure to communicate that back to them.

Thank you again for you review, and I would like to wish you all the very best for your future.

Katherine Bent
Busy work environment, not many benefits for staff. The food was very expensive and because food wasn't provided the staff had to pay there prices with little to no reduction. As well as being given very little pay.
Pros
flexable working hours
Cons
poor pay and lack of benefits for staff, example- lunch wasnt provided.
Thank you for your review.

I was pleased that you were happy with the flexible hours that we were able to offer you. I was however a little surprised to read that you felt that we didn’t have many benefits for our colleagues, as we believe we have a great selection of benefits, including an onsite bistro for colleagues only serving freshly made food items by our Bents Team, which our colleagues have told us that they are really reasonable prices. We are always however looking to improve the offering for our colleagues, so in the new year we will be conducting further research into our Benefits offering to our colleagues.

Thanks again for your review, and I’d like to wish you all the best for your future.

Warmest regards,

Katherine
Bents is a huge operation, the kitchen is held back by poor management who fail to listen to staff and the communication is almost none existent.

If you have a problem or question your ALWAYS told what you want to hear and things rarely change. Staff turn over is very high for this, I've lost count of the number of staff that have left. Now they over use expensive agency staff to run the kitchen day to day and the permanent staff get neglected. This plus a few other factors give a very negative atmosphere to the kitchen.

Chefs are also pushed to work extra hours, depending on their contracts these aren't always paid.
Pros
free parking
Cons
management, atmosphere, no development
10 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a reply.

We have worked a lot over the past 12 months to improve our communication, and although we aren’t there yet, we had received feedback that this had shown improvements across the business, however I am sorry that you have had frustrations with communication. We will continue on our mission to continue improving our communication.

We were saddened to hear of your experience, and I’m personally really concerned that you felt neglected. Your comments will not be ignored; I have arranged to meet with our Senior Team to go through your review further, and address with our teams.

I’m sorry you’ve felt the need to leave and we haven’t been able to retain you in the business.

Katherine Bent
Good working relationships and lots to learn. All freshly made food which is good for developing cooking skills, time management and running s section efficiently.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Certain Management
10 June 2019
Thanks for leaving us a review. It was refreshing to read your review, and I am delighted to hear your positive comments.

We look forward to a fruitful future together, and hope to continue making our Kitchens the best place to work with you help and support too.

Thanks again for leaving your review.

Katherine Bent
Bents has been a great place to work part time during my further education commitments. I've enjoyed the training programme and the skills I've gained in customer service
Pros
Social Activites
Cons
Early starts
10 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

We are really pleased by your review thank you. We have been working on our training programmes so reading you enjoyed them was lovely to hear too.

Thanks again.

Head of HR
There were certain aspects of working at bents that i enjoyed ie. the people i worked with and the food. However i believe that management at the time i was working there were rude and treated you badly. Even though we were the main part of christmas, we were not allowed to go to the christmas party.
Pros
Dinner
Cons
Older staff were rude to younger staff.
10 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a reply, and apologies for the delay in my reply to you.

It was disappointing to read that you felt that our management were rude and treated you badly, one of our Bents Ways (values) is putting people at the heart of our business, so it was a shock to read of your experience. We have been working with our Leaders this year to ensure that we have the best Leaders living and breathing our behaviours, so I will be sharing your review with them as part of our learning processes.

I was however really pleased that you enjoyed the people that you worked with, we do believe that our colleagues are the best and I am pleased they made your experience with us enjoyable.

Thanks again for leaving your review, and I would like to wish you all the very best.

Katherine Bent
Arrived promptly at 6am before opening and proceeded to mop, brush and generally clean the building ready for opening at 8:30am. I didn't gain many skills during this time. Didnt enjoy the job at all
Pros
short hours
Cons
Boring, Repetative and not enough hours
Thank you for your review.

I will pass on your review comments onto Amber who is the Company who we work with for the cleaning requirements at Bents.

All the best,

Katherine
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bents Garden & Home. Our community is ready to answer.
Bents Garden & Home Reviews by Location