Bents Garden & Home Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phase 213 October 2019
Don’t work here just awful management don’t know what they are doing and rotas change all the time. High staff turnover unapproachable family who run the business. Terrible pay with no incentives they want a lot of work for nothing in return.
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire17 September 2019
I really enjoy working at Bents - it’s a none pressurised sales environment and this way you are able to really give the best every day. The people that work at Bents are amazing, and the management and leaders make you feel relaxed and always give you the time to chat with them. Bents has an exciting future which I’m glad to be part of.

Thank you for your review.

It was lovely reading your review, we have been working really hard to get things right so I loved your honest review.

We look forward to a great future together, and please do keep letting us know how we are doing with our Engagement Surveys and the Breakfast with Matthew communication sessions.

Katherine Bent

Do not apply for a job here
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Glazebury3 September 2019
Worst place I have ever worked management is very unprofessional and treat their employees like they don’t matter and with no respect not worth the hassle apple elsewhere a number of people left whilst I worked there and I only worked here 4 months
15 October 2019

Thank you for leaving us your review.

I was really saddened and disappointed to read of your experience, this is far from what we set out to achieve with our colleagues. I will be taking the time to go through your review details with our Leadership Team.

Once again, I’m so sorry of your experience and would like to wish you all the very best for your future.

15 October 2019

Thank you for leaving us your review.

Not bad but not good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warrington4 August 2019
I worked at Bents for a few years, in the time I guess you could say that I had a few ups and downs.
You are really thrown into the deep end however that is the part of the job that allowed me to experience things properly, so I was able to develop my skills and work under pressure.
The managers that knew me knew my strengths and weaknesses and one of my supervisors worked well with me to understand me, whereas others didn't do so much. Everyone is very friendly, and everyone is there to work and meet the goals and standards that Bents shows and has. There is the sense of being equal with everyone else, but there is a clear hierarchy. Management frequently seemed to show who was a 'better' employee and a 'lesser' employee in the way that they behaved.

A good aspect would've been the small meetings to see what it was like working there, but the conversations in those small meetings would be forgotten once that room was left.
  more... felt disadvantaged or that I was lesser than someone else, but otherwise it was a job and although I went through a lot during my time there, it taught me things and I am grateful for that.

Another thing was that there was a time I was going to have important exams but was denied time off to revise for exams and that if anything bad happened in my exams I would have a 'Bents life', and I understand that it may have been a joke but my focus was on my future, however I understand that the company will look out for itself and that my exams aren't of importance in comparison.

I'm sad that I ended up having to leave because I was unhappy overall, but every experience has benefits and I would never want to ignore that.
Pros
Staff discount, friendly people
Cons
Management, lack of understanding

Thank you for your review.

I was really disappointed to read part of your review, all our colleagues are at the heart of our business and shouldn’t be left to feel that they are lesser or others are better, so I am really sorry you were left to feel this way. I will be feeding your concerns back to our Leaders.

I was however pleased to read that we were able to develop your skills and the experience of working here has been of benefit to you.

Not bad but not good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester4 August 2019
Sometimes, there was unfair treatment, and I felt that a lot but I wouldn't say that it affected me so much, it just made me feel like I didn't belong but that could've been in a particular department rather than all. I did enjoy working there sometimes, but there were some days where I felt like I didn't belong and I didn't deserve to be there. I worked as hard as I could but sometimes it didn't feel like I worked hard enough or that people were still disappointed in me. I was told I would do another job, or be moved elsewhere just to show my strengths and my advantageous skills but nothing happened. All I would say there are certain times where I felt
  more... disadvantaged or that I was lesser than someone else, but otherwise it was a job and although I went through a lot during my time there, it taught me things and I am grateful for that.

productive and enjoyable workplace
Christmas Team Member (Former Employee) –  Warrington21 June 2019
All of the staff were very friendly and made everybody feel welcome. I have learnt how to work with a team and develop new social skills, which can be taken further into my future jobs. The management team were helpful and encouraged staff to seek help when needed.
Pros
10% discount on items from the store
19 July 2019

Hello,

Thank you for leaving us a reply. It was lovely to hear of your experience, especially that we have been able to help you work within a team and develop new skills.

I am glad to read that you also found our management team helpful, I will be sure to communicate that back to them.

Thank you again for you review, and I would like to wish you all the very best for your future.

Katherine Bent

fun staff and pay too low
Barista/food serving/catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester2 June 2019
Busy work environment, not many benefits for staff. The food was very expensive and because food wasn't provided the staff had to pay there prices with little to no reduction. As well as being given very little pay.
Pros
flexable working hours
Cons
poor pay and lack of benefits for staff, example- lunch wasnt provided.

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased that you were happy with the flexible hours that we were able to offer you. I was however a little surprised to read that you felt that we didn’t have many benefits for our colleagues, as we believe we have a great selection of benefits, including an onsite bistro for colleagues only serving freshly made food items by our Bents Team, which our colleagues have told us that they are really reasonable prices. We are always however looking to improve the offering for our colleagues, so in the new year we will be conducting further research into our Benefits offering to our colleagues.

Thanks again for your review, and I’d like to wish you all the best for your future.

Warmest regards,
Katherine

poor management and communication, no development and a really negative atmosphere
chef (Former Employee) –  Glazebury, Cheshire11 May 2019
Bents is a huge operation, the kitchen is held back by poor management who fail to listen to staff and the communication is almost none existent.

If you have a problem or question your ALWAYS told what you want to hear and things rarely change. Staff turn over is very high for this, I've lost count of the number of staff that have left. Now they over use expensive agency staff to run the kitchen day to day and the permanent staff get neglected. This plus a few other factors give a very negative atmosphere to the kitchen.

Chefs are also pushed to work extra hours, depending on their contracts these aren't always paid.
Pros
free parking
Cons
management, atmosphere, no development
10 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a reply.

We have worked a lot over the past 12 months to improve our communication, and although we aren’t there yet, we had received feedback that this had shown improvements across the business, however I am sorry that you have had frustrations with communication. We will continue on our mission to continue improving our communication.

We were saddened to hear of your experience, and I’m personally really concerned that you felt neglected. Your comments will not be ignored; I have arranged to meet with our Senior Team to go through your review further, and address with our teams.

I’m sorry you’ve felt the need to leave and we haven’t been able to retain you in the business.

Katherine Bent

Good hours alternate weekends off
Lead Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Glazebury7 May 2019
Good working relationships and lots to learn. All freshly made food which is good for developing cooking skills, time management and running s section efficiently.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Certain Management
10 June 2019

Thanks for leaving us a review. It was refreshing to read your review, and I am delighted to hear your positive comments.

We look forward to a fruitful future together, and hope to continue making our Kitchens the best place to work with you help and support too.

Thanks again for leaving your review.

Katherine Bent

Bents is a great employer!
Part Time Catering Assistant / Barista (Current Employee) –  Glazebury3 May 2019
Bents has been a great place to work part time during my further education commitments. I've enjoyed the training programme and the skills I've gained in customer service
Pros
Social Activites
Cons
Early starts
10 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

We are really pleased by your review thank you. We have been working on our training programmes so reading you enjoyed them was lovely to hear too.

Thanks again.

Competitive and run badly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester1 March 2019
There were certain aspects of working at bents that i enjoyed ie. the people i worked with and the food. However i believe that management at the time i was working there were rude and treated you badly. Even though we were the main part of christmas, we were not allowed to go to the christmas party.
Pros
Dinner
Cons
Older staff were rude to younger staff.
10 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a reply, and apologies for the delay in my reply to you.

It was disappointing to read that you felt that our management were rude and treated you badly, one of our Bents Ways (values) is putting people at the heart of our business, so it was a shock to read of your experience. We have been working with our Leaders this year to ensure that we have the best Leaders living and breathing our behaviours, so I will be sharing your review with them as part of our learning processes.

I was however really pleased that you enjoyed the people that you worked with, we do believe that our colleagues are the best and I am pleased they made your experience with us enjoyable.

Thanks again for leaving your review, and I would like to wish you all the very best.

Boring and repetative
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glazebury, Cheshire19 February 2019
Arrived promptly at 6am before opening and proceeded to mop, brush and generally clean the building ready for opening at 8:30am. I didn't gain many skills during this time. Didnt enjoy the job at all
Pros
short hours
Cons
Boring, Repetative and not enough hours

Thank you for your review.

I will pass on your review comments onto Amber who is the Company who we work with for the cleaning requirements at Bents.

All the best,

An Enjoyable Workplace
E-Commerce Executive (Former Employee) –  Glazebury, Cheshire11 February 2019
My first position at Bents was on the retail floor as a general assistant. I quickly found myself learning the ropes and engaging with customers in a genuine manor even though it was a totally new career path. I was given a great deal of support and made some lifelong friends along the way. I will value the memories of regular customers that came into Bents.

Over a year had passed and I noticed an interesting position had opened up in the offices. With that said I applied and got the job. I was show lots of support from my new colleagues and formed a positive connection with them. I have gained lots of valuable knowledge from my whole time at Bents and will miss each colleague I have come into contact with.
Pros
Kind Colleagues
Cons
Staff Car Park Surfaces
19 July 2019

I loved reading your review and was delighted that you were able to make lifelong friends and of your great experiences whilst you had here at Bents, along with the valuable knowledge you gained for your future.

We would like to wish you all the very best in your future career and thank you again for your review.

Warm regards,

10 June 2019

Fantastic, challenging but rewarding.
chef (Former Employee) –  Warrington23 January 2019
Learnt an awful lot in my ten years at bents, it’s such a shame it came to an end. But due to my circumstances I had to leave. Lovely family run buisness. Freindly staff , fantastic staff facility’s good benifits and discount.
Pros
Free parking, fantastic in-house training
Cons
Too quick to grow front of house without expanding and investing in staff and building
11 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

It was lovely to hear your experience, and thank you for your commitment to Bents for your 10 years; we are really glad you were able to learn a lot during your time with us.

We wish you all the very best for your future and please do keep in touch.

Duration of stay
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glazebury, Cheshire19 January 2019
During my time here I have gained skills in which has developed me into a vericitile person.
I have worked with some amazing colleagues over the years and have been my main reason for being a long serving colleague.
Company it’s self lacks in communication and poor management skills and never enough praise for staff.
11 February 2019

Thank you for leaving us a review.

We are really pleased to hear you have gained lots of skills, and we agree we do have the most amazing colleagues.

We have been working really hard to improve our communication, and we will ensure it’s continued into 2019 to make sure all our colleagues feel communicated too.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and we wish you all the very best for your future.

Bents Garden & Home

Great Collegues
Chef De Partie (Former Employee) –  Glazebury30 October 2018
Great People to work with. hours were good, great job for someone who needs a job and not a career, comany made false promises was no room for development
Pros
Friendly staff, good hours
Cons
No development
5 February 2019

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are sorry to read of your comments, I will pick your comments up with our Head of Dining and Food Development Chef as we are passionate that we have development opportunities across the business.

General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glazebury, Cheshire14 August 2018
Overall very happy to work here, everyone was very friendly and very productive constantly kept busy which I enjoyed department managers were wonderful. Issues with pay slips and management i.e offcie departments.
Pros
Happy enviroment and constantly have work.
Cons
Job sercurity is an issue.

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We were really pleased to read your review and that you enjoyed working with us, we have been working really hard on making Bents the best place to work.

We’ll take your comments on board in relation to the Payslips and will address internally.

Good Colleagues, Bad Management
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Warrington9 August 2018
The job is enjoyable for the first few months. If you have potential or are willing to do more hours than you were initially asked (shift cover) you will feel like you are being penalised for it. There is a general feeling of under-appreciation from management and above. There is a very high staff turnover as management never learn from their mistakes. You are expected to allow customers to speak to you very poorly and are often undermined by management in front of customers.

The staff room is good and there is hot food served at lunch time for employees (average cost). You will make friends during your time at Bents as there's lots of friendly staff. If you try not to take the job too seriously, you may well enjoy it.
Pros
staff facilities, good colleagues
Cons
poor management

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are passionate that we put colleagues at the heart of our business, so I was disappointed to learn of your experience with us. We are working hard on improving our colleague journey, so your feedback is appreciated. I will be feeding back to the Management team, and we hope we will be able to address these are part of our improvements.

We were pleased that you found our colleagues friendly, we agree that we have great friendly colleagues.

Fab place to work
HR Advisor (Current Employee) –  Glazebury, Cheshire5 April 2018
Having not worked in retail before, I was nervous on my first day at Bents. I needn't have been! My first day was an induction, where I met other new starters and also members of the Bents family and management. Everyone seemed so friendly and personable and this has continued to be the case in my day to day working. Colleagues and Management are approachable, easy to chat to, it is a very friendly happy place to work. I am proud to be part of Bents, and working with this growing business.
Pros
Supportive, Flexible, Friendly colleagues, Discount from day 1- rising with length in service
Cons
Working bank holidays
6 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us review; we really loved hearing of your experience.

great place to meet new friends/work colleagus
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire4 April 2018
Taken on as a Christmas temp until January, led to believe you'll be kept on to make you work harder/work any shift offered (leader's constantly mess rota's up so you never know what your doing) as soon as they have finished with you, you are laid off.

Salary minimum wage so not great if you have a family to provide for. Plus they think it' acceptable for customers to speak to you like a piece of dirt for that wage!

Great place to meet new friends though.
Pros
great place to meet new friends/work colleagus
Cons
not treated well
5 April 2018

We are really sorry to read how you felt about your experience with us. We'll provide the feedback back to the teams to rectify these for the future.

Bents

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bents Garden & Home. Our community is ready to answer.

Bents Garden & Home Reviews by Location