Benefit Cosmetics Employee Reviews

Terrible
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 February 2018
Worst place i’ve worked.
Purely a sales brand, the company or management couldn’t care less about staff or customers.
The makeup is terrible, benefits way or the highway.
No room for creativity or anyone who wants to peruse any sort of career in makeup.
Extremely pushy with targets as that’s all they care about, how much money they’re making. Complete lack of compassion from the whole company.
Extremely disorganised as a business, waited 3 months after i’d been told i got the job until I was actually on shift, was then placed on a counter with another brand new girl with no training for two months.
Constant performance reviews.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours, too pushy with targets, lack of compassion from management, unorganised, awful makeup
Unrealistic targets
retail & brow artist (Former Employee) –  uk23 January 2019
worked for the company for 2 years. parts of the job were enjoyable such as interacting with customers and making their day but the other side being the targets and sales were very demanding and unrealistic being in such a quiet store and felt a lot of pressure even being a BA. If the company cared more about their staff rather than how much money they're making maybe they wouldn't have such a high turn over of staff. Would be a good as a part time job(2 days) as commission is good especially during the Christmas period but wouldn't recommend full time.
Pros
allercations
Cons
long hours/ unrealistic targets
Loved my Christmas temp role
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 June 2018
Worked for benefit in the Birmingham bullring. Debenhams boutique over Christmas and loved it! Was paid £7.60 an hour at age 17, everyone was so friendly and throroughly enjoyed it although it was hard work Andrew became repetitive often!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Less benefits for temporary contracts
Worst job i've ever had
Sales (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom20 June 2018
The role in general is humiliating and degrading (ridiculous uniform and catchphrases)
Staff are poorly looked after, you're told to spend as little time with customers as you can to make more sales.
Very high sales targets, often unrealistic.
Staff and customers are treated just like a number and you're made to feel stupid if you can't reach your targets, job made me physically ill and anxious. Criticised by higher management instead of supported.
They don't care about makeup artistry so if that's what you enjoy then don't even bother.
No flexibility provided to keep a healthy work/social life balance, only positive point of the job is that other sales/brow girls are lovely and you're all in it together.
Pros
Nice colleagues and commission
Cons
Long hours, low pay, degrading, unrealistic sales targets, no support from management
Benefit
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Telford5 September 2018
I worked in House of Fraser Telford on the Benefit Cosmetics Counter. Area Manager was quite hard to get along with. Traffic stopping customers was something Benefit made you do which most of the time customers were not interested in. They just wanted to be left alone to shop.
Pros
Lovely products
Cons
If your face didnt fit with management you could not progress in your career
Fun fun fun
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway15 March 2018
Benefit is all about the fun and excitement on counter. I have worked in both Boots and Debenhams counters. When a product is launched there is pretty much a party on counter.
Great benefits, training and job/career opportunities within the company is you wish to progress.
enthusiastic
Makeup Artist, sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire16 October 2018
I did love working at benefit but working there you have to be super bubbly and extra and be so for the job, it can be pretty cheesy and very productive you always have to have a customer and if not you have to go traffic stopping which i hated doing, however when i went on the training it made me really enthusiastic and easier to go out traffic stopping but we had to do a lot of steps once you do get a customer sat down and need to sell more than one product- to me i felt like we looked desperate. apart from that i did like the team i worked with and did feel good to help people out.
Ideal and fun place to work
host (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames12 January 2018
I enjoyed working at benefit, my typical day at work was to up-sell products, preform makeovers, and keep the makeup counter tidy. I improved on my confidence in approaching customers, this benefits me in my day-to-day life. I also learnt a lot about makeup which I really enjoyed learning about. Makeup is one of my interests and I would love to advance in this area. The hardest part of the job was to manage all the customers during the busy Christmas period but I enjoyed the thrill of it.
Pros
Job hours
Cons
When times weren't busy, finding jobs to do
Fun workplace
Beauty Advisor and Brow Expert (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 September 2018
My overview of Benefit is your experience is massively dependent on your managers. If you're lucky enough to have an amazing account manager that you can rely on then you should have an enjoyable experience. I was very reliable which meant I was taken massively for granted as whenever I wanted to take holiday it was a big issue before i was the 'reliable' one and always was made to feel bad for just 1 days holiday. The job is not as flexible as they make out, especially on a smaller counter.
Pros
Allocation
Cons
Not flexible
brilliant job but hard work
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  South West10 June 2018
I have worked for Benefit for three years and absolutely love it!! However it is extremely hard work and lots of paperwork to complete. If you are hard working then this is the job for you. If you are work shy and want to become a make up artist this isn't the job for you. Although this is a make up brand, it is based on sales and not becoming a make up artist! Expected to make connections with cold customers on a daily basis. Again if this is something you do not like then don't apply. Work hard, play hard motto. I would recommend this job to anyone who wants to work hard.
Pros
free products. Good training. Fun brand. No.1
Cons
Hard wrok
Hard work in account manager role
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 January 2018
Very taxing and long hours with little bonuses or salary benefit. The sale targets and aspirational appointment numbers were near impossible to reach due to store locations and little praise would be given by store or team when targets were reached.
Great company to work for, however management is not to be desired.
Brow Expert (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex (Debenhams)2 October 2018
The company itself is an amazing company to work for! You get all the relevant training you need expenses paid for e.g hotels and travel. The shift splitting is great and people are happy to help you out and vice versa. However the managerial aspect of the counter wasn't anything to be desired. Very penalising and undermining. Other then this there are no complaints to make!!
Pros
Gratis products, great training
Cons
Manager
Good starting place
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester30 January 2019
Before I start it 100% depends on which store you’re working in. I’ve worked on two different counters and both were completely different.

First counter was fun, worked with a lot of other girls, manager was extremely supportive I really enjoyed going to work. Was more of a relaxed environment however I didn’t enjoy traffic stopping.

Second counter still a lovely group of girls however spent a lot of time working by yourself which is better for your commission but can get boring at times. However didn’t have to traffic stop which was better.

If you’re new to the world of makeup then definitely apply, see if counter work is going to be the right fit for you and if you love it I would advise moving on to a better counter. Very target driven and expecting customers to purchase 2 products or to try and do ‘magic formula’ on every customer which isn’t doable. Lots of women like myself just want to quickly pop in, grab something and go. Not have all my makeup taken off and to be sat down for 20 minutes. It’s definitely worked on some people and it helped break my day up.

I don’t believe they have enough products for every skin shade I found it quite limited and difficult to colour match everyone.

However I’ve learnt a lot and definitely gained sales experience. But if you want to go into ‘make up artistry’ then don’t apply this is a sales job.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Hours, low wage, lack of progression
fun, productive working environment
Beauty Therapist (Former Employee) –  Swansea20 March 2018
A typical day at work would start by ensuring everything is clean and set up ready for a full column of brow and body waxing.

Learning to deal with members of the public in a busy, fast paced shop was what I would be faced with every day.

Management would do their best to ensure everyone was capable, but at times they too had pressure because of the high and demanding targets that were set. this would be very stressful, so learning to do the job of a high quality standard and reach targets was something I learned to achieve.

the workplace culture was always the reason why I continued to work there. We were a strong team of girls who would always look after each other and help each other at demanding times. morale was high and at the end of the day we would always find something to laugh about.

The hardest part of the job were the demanding targets and time given to ensue you would complete a treatment to an exceptional standard, sell and book back customers. this was excluding opening accounts, opening beauty club cards and email receipts. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was making people feel good about themselves everyday.
Pros
free benefit makeup twice a year, %40 off the restaurant, %20 off in store.
Cons
long hours, not enough breaks
Fun place to work but high targets
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cheshire5 April 2018
I worked as a beauty advisor for benefit cosmetics for nearly 2 years. In this time, the only progression that I received was becoming full-time. The business is its self is fun, girly and energetic although a person can’t be fun, girly and energetic all the time! I worked for Debenhams, so my wage was rubbish. The only benefits that we received was 20% off, but Debenhams then took that away. You get allocation two times a year ( The amount of money you receive depends on your job role ) But this was the only bonus benefit cosmetic gave you. No staff shop, no further discount on your own products... you get 2% commission, which is good if you make a lot of money! You will learn the ‘magic formula’ which is a selling technique - in other words, don’t stop showing the customer products until they say no. It sounds like all I can say about working here is negative, although I really enjoyed working with my team and the atmosphere in general! We always had music playing loudly and our counter had a really fun environment. BUT One main thing to know before applying for a job at benefit is traffic stopping is compulsory. If you cannot go up to a stranger and convince them to come to your counter, do not apply for the job. Traffic stopping is a huge part of the job, and it is strongly forced upon by managers and area managers. This put a lot of pressure on us, although the technique works, it’s very pushy. You half to wear all benefit make up and you have to look a certain way (which I get) although this can make you feel as if you must look a certain way to work for them.  more... Like I said, I loved the majority of my time working for benefit, but be aware that there is a lot of pressure to hit your high targets and that is no excuse why you should not be traffic stopping! 😊  less
Management treat you awful
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  South West26 September 2017
Area managers are nothing but horrible and condescending. You try your best but it is never good enough. Manager didn't even thank me on last day or give any praise regardless of exceeding expectations. Lack of professionalism is prevalent in this company and products are tacky. Do not waste your time here, staff turnover is high due to ridiculous pressure and targets.
Pros
free makeup
Cons
area manager is awful, products are bad, pay is bad
Loved working here
Beauty Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Stockport1 August 2018
Benefit was a really good company to work for, I was also working for boots as the counter was in a boots store. I learnt so much and gained so much experience from working here. All the customers liked me and I felt really passionate about what I was doing. It wasn't a chore going into work because I thoroughly enjoyed every moment.
Pros
Commission on products you sell, great pay rate, discounted makeup, Free makeup every 1/3 of the year.
Cons
Have to be aware you can get rude customers, stop trafficking
Stressful
Business Manager Beales Horsham (Former Employee) –  Horsham18 August 2017
Working with benefit (and any cosmetic brand) means that you have to traffic stop potential customers and hit targets. The area managers (like any large company) are bullied by the regional managers to make sure they are hitting targets which means anyone on counter is liable if you dont hit them. Personally a horrible experience full of fake people, and have to deal with nasty members of the public who treat you like dirt basically! A good job if you can put up with that and see past it!!

On a positive note free makeup and ok salary and bonus' if you hit your targets and are just starting out if your quite young 18-22
fun, productive
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex28 July 2018
in a typical day you will have a sales target you have to hit by stopping customers and sitting them down, giving them makeup demos and product knowledge.

I learned quite a bit about sales and customer service.

Hardest part of the job were the unsociable hours at Gatwick airport.

The most enjoyable parts were getting to use my makeup skills and help customers feel good about themselves.
Pros
free products, get to play with makeup everyday.
Cons
gatwick shift work is awful
Awful place overall
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex1 February 2018
Management are so rude to the staff, you’re treated like a slave and constantly spoken down too. The staff turn over is ridiculous. I was there 6months and I didnt work with the same people for more than 2 months. Every lunch break I searched frantically for new jobs. I suffered major anxiety from that work place. Make complaint after complaint and boots just turned a blind eye. NEVER WORK IN CRAWLEY BENEFIT. Area manager is a stuck up cow. All they care about is money. Also, the makeup is rubbish!
Pros
Boots pay is very good
Cons
Long hours, exhausting, pressured, low moral everywhere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benefit Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.