Benefit Cosmetics

Benefit Cosmetics Employee Reviews

United Kingdom221 reviews
Not a job for a makeup artist
You don't need to be or benefit from being an actual makeup artist as the job is literally structured for sales.

Interview stage takes forever so don't quit a job you already have before they give you a start date.

You get great makeup perks but the expectations on shop floor, approaching customers etc is a lot.
Worst company to work for
Really bad management, huge turn over of staff including area managers, Extreme pressure on counter managers, completely unrealistic sales targets & made to feel awful if not met,
Looked down on by other brands on the floor.

Face & fakeness need to fit & match otherwise a very snakey environment to work in, staff left & off due to stress & anxiety from the counter
Horrible place
Do not apply!!! I pray you don’t work here. They’re all crazy. I was forced to stop customers and grab them by the hand to get them to stop so I could do their makeup. If I was upset about something I’d be told to “man up” and go into my “benebubble” they’re all mental honestly. You aren’t allowed to be anything but happy and excited 24/7.
Pros
50p commission per thing you sell
Cons
Traffic stopping, pressure
Lovely girls but...
Just like many large companies.
Managed by those who lack regards or empathy for those 'below them'.

Initially offered management role but later realised they hired another person for the role and wanted us to - of course I stepped back and left the job.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
Commission - what commission?
Appauling salary and high pressure
Salary not fitting with job pressure and location.
No communication between brand and store

Poor show from management concerning mental health and well being. They tell you to “take the emotions out of everything”

Regional manager rude and Unaccommodating and intimidating.

No emotions work you to the bone. Like being part of a robot
A learning curve in cosmetics
I enjoyed the part of the job where I could work with customers closely, recommend products etc, however the pressure from higher management didn't make the job enjoyable.
The daily sale requirements felt unrealistic at times with zero recognition of any achievements, instead they felt the need to always focus on the negatives.

The initial training for products and how to apply makeup seemed very unprofessional compared to that of other companies, spending a week in a training room in a department store in Doncaster compared to a week in London at head office like most other large companies do.

This job caused anxiety, which I've never experienced before, and stress on a different level than I had dealt with before, even with my 4 years in university studying a very intense course. I was constantly contacted on my days and weeks off, even though my area manager had the counter rotas, and was often asked to go into store to retrieve information for her, resulting in my down time being very restricted.

I fully understand why this company has one of the highest turn over in staff and beauty advisers, this is something that they mention regular in regional meetings in a way that seems like boasting and not something that concerns them.

This is just my opinion however, and some girls thrive in that company, but that amount is few and far between.
Avoid at all costs
This company was not lying when they said "laughter is the best cosmetic", their main goal is to make you look like a clown! Absolutely humiliating job role and recruitment process. Throughout the interview stage they give you countless 'tests' that you have to pass in order to progress onto the next stage. Then you have to audition for the job which was a joke. I was only given 10 minutes to 'traffic stop' customers which essentially involved trying to force someone to come back to the counter, then an additional 10 minutes to complete a full face of makeup on that person and convince them to buy their products? unrealistic expectations with very little guidance and support. There is a reason the turnover rate is so high. This is a very pushy SALES based role, if you are genuinely passionate about makeup artistry this job is NOT for you.
busy work environment
I loved working for benefit I had great work life and such a lovely team and the company itself was really nice to work for and such a great place to start out.
Pros
always busy
Cons
store management at boots
I was able to build my confidnece with customer facing
During my time at Benefit I had to regularly go into the town center and traffic stop in order to get customer into the shop. This was a great way to engage with the customers and build a strong rapport which I have now bought into my current job. Having this opportunity I was able to accustom myself to put myself out there and easily approach all walk of life.
Pros
Talkative enviroment
Cons
Management mentally bullied
No passion for makeup required!
I can say that Benefit is probably the worst job i've had so far.
Relationships between management and the girls are very informal - thus creating favouritism and unfair bias within the team. The shade range isn't friendly for women of colour, and for a job where you're expected to wear their makeup to shift, it is harder for darker women to find makeup that suits their complexion.

The job is mentally draining - always a game of how much money you can milk out of a customer before they refuse - not about applying makeup at all. Unachievable sales targets (even on the most quiet days), and management constantly on your back about the smallest mistakes. Caused my mental health to decline rapidly - I am passionate about all the jobs I have worked in, however I do not want to work around gossips who create drama and rumours about every employee.
Not great
Good starting point for a career in beauty retail. But is not a mua role, a sales and customer service based role. Management put high pressures with little/no reward, inconsistent standards, but receive good sales training. Work the hardest in the beauty to hall but the lowest pay. Pay inconsistent for the same job across different retailers.
Loads of pressure with no support
You are expected to be extremely pushy and over the top. If you aren't being told to try to talk to every customer on the counter you have to go out and approach people shopping to get them to come back. Management was terrible, never any positivity only interested in sales numbers. This job is incredibly sales driven.
fun
I enjoyed working for this company so much, i worked in the airport in duty free so I was meeting a different variety of customers which was something that I loved.
everyone was so happy as they was on their holidays so that made my job a lot easier.

My job role was to sell the products and apply the makeup onto people explaining what it does and what its good for and i would also advise what product would work best for their skin type.
Not nice!
The products are genuinely great and I had a lovely team and area manager! But above her were a bunch of crazy, self obsessed, bullies. My mental health was severely affected by this job. Such a shame because it was fun and I loved helping customers!
Great start to get into the beauty industry but...
Benefit is the best company to get your foot into the door for beauty. The perks of working with the company are very good as they give you the correct training needed I suppose.

The make-up range not so much as the shade ranges to not care for women of colour.

I enjoyed working with the company on many occasions like the training and seeing new products launch however, management are very bad as they do not support you when you need them too. I was let down by the company after working within 1 year.

So for the experience i would so go for it, but you'll never be able to progress with them as they do not give you these opportunities even when they are available.
Dreadful company to work for
Management is useless, make up is dreadful! Worst cosmetic company to work for! Cheesy and very American! very pushy towards customers. Don’t care at all about customers only want their money! Overall worst job I’ve ever had!
Overall a good job and good experience
Working at benefit was good as it gives you new friends and experiences and helps you to learn with situations or problems that arise such as customer complaints
The Worst Manager
I loved working for benefit, the fast pace environment and being in a beauty hall is the environment i thrive in. My team were amazing and we became the best of friends. However the manager was the biggest bully. Rude and straight up unprofessional, broke so many laws like gross misconduct but the company turn a blind eye. I worked for Benefit in a Boots store which is why the pay was so good. But the only thing keeping methere was how amazing my team friends were. Since the manager has bullied everyone we’ve all handed in our notices and it’s a shame it had to end because of such an awful manager.
Somewhat enjoyable at times
I’m a firm believer that if you love your job you’ll never work a day in your life! This was the case when you’re sold your dream job at benefit! The first few months between training and learning the job role it’s fun, interesting they seem to not take life too seriously. Laughter is the best cosmetic. Benefit to paint themselves as a pretty pink bundle of joy but the senior management are some of the most rude unprofessional people I’ve ever encountered! Especially the one who’s mum used tub the company!?? She felt she would speak how she wanted to people as she knew nobody would say anything. By anyone I mean the girls on counter would be too afraid to challenge her. I think there’s plenty of other companies that pay better and treat their staff better. I don’t see why you would ever have to stoop so low as to work for benefit. uchildish, rude people I’ve ever worked for.
fun
funloved my year at Benefit met some amazing girls who I know I will be friends with for life! really good company to work for with amazing free bees! However, there was a lot of pressure at times with hitting daily targets etc.
Not bad
Love the girls just the management push and push nothing is ever good enough for them! Also it was always about getting a sale not making sure the customer had what they genuinely needed.