Bedfordshire Police Employee Reviews

Fast Paced and interesting
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire19 February 2018
Working within the police ever day is different. It is a fast paced environment requiring quick thinking and decision making on a regular basis.
There is a good team feel to the working environment with everybody looking out for one another. Management are approachable and have a good working understanding of the different scenarios you encounter and are able to effectively give advice.
Some parts of the job are less appealing than others, for instance understanding that there is a possibility that you could be assaulted when trying to deal with a specific incident. Also many members of the public don't have a positive relationship with the police and therefore can make interactions more difficult.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the level of support you receive from your team mates. Everyone is very protective of one another and will try their hardest to help you in anyway they can when you need it. Also every day is different and therefore doesn't become mundane.
Pros
strong team ethics
Cons
long hours of often highly stressful days
Punches above its weight
investigator (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire11 February 2018
A small county force in close proximity to the capital leading to a diverse range of complex and challenging investigations. A chance to experience policing in many different departments,
Good
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  Bedford2 January 2018
Good organisation. Proud to of been part of Bedfordshire police force. Loyal and keeping the streets safer. Good work culture, friendly one team. Hardest part was the hours.
Challenging
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Bedford3 November 2017
Beds Police is a good company to work for if being a police constable is what you would like to do. Be prepared for shift work, long hours and sometimes having to work on a day off.
No day is the same which is a plus and you get to meet so many people and get involved in some challenging situations that no-one you know will ever see or have to deal with.
Cons
Long Hours and working on a rest day
friendly place to work
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire19 June 2017
small friendly force although struggling for funds it is community orientated and the current shift patterns are family focused giving a very balanced work life split
Pros
variety of work
Cons
Constant change to achieve the best
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kempston, Bedfordshire22 May 2017
Everyday is different, focused and dedicated to achieving the best. A hardworking team ethos is paramount; and enjoyable to be part of. The emails and phone calls are constant, never leaving a dull moment. Every day is different and provides a variety. It is enjoyable to travel to different sites and visit various teams to be involved in the numerous units I represent as a Personal Assistant.
It's hard but worthwhile work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Luton17 May 2017
Being a police officer is a privilege and a vocation and I enjoyed working for Bedfordshire Police. However there are challenges and you should volunteer as a Special Constable and get the big picture before making the commitment.

If you decide this is the career for you, I wish you all the best.
Pros
You do genuinely make a positive difference to people's lives
Cons
Long hours, management skills could be better
Brilliant
Stooge (Former Employee) –  Luton1 March 2017
We worked with Beds Police helping out with their interview techniques. This was a fantastic experience as I learnt many new skills etc.
Police Service
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Bedford21 February 2017
The nature of the role can and is very demanding and the ability to multi task is a must. Always aspire to be a thorough professional and assist the customer in need. The police can on occasions be the first port of call, but to others it can be their last.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
To few officers to cover all eventualities
Long hours, but a rewarding career
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Luton and Dunstable15 January 2017
There's no such thing as a typical day in the Police Service, everyday is different. You never know what the day has in store for you.

For instance, one Christmas morning when I was a motorised patrol Officer, working 0600 - 1400 shift, I was sent to investigate a woman screaming in the street. When I found her she was too distressed to speak, but she led me to an address where I discovered the body of a man lying on steps outside a dwelling house who had been stabbed in the chest several times.

I and a colleague forced entry to the premises, whereupon we arrested two occupants on suspicion of murder.

Subsequently, both suspects were convicted at the Old Bailey in London.

This is how variable the job can be, hours of boredom, and minutes of terror.
Pros
dependable colleagues
Great Experience
Test Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire26 July 2016
Doing this job helped me develop my confidence and allowed me to help the police. It was a great experience and I would do it again if I was given the opportunity.
Unprodictable, can be rewarding.
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bedford10 February 2016
A typical day, there isn't one. No two days are really the same in this type of job and you can never predict what your day will be like. Some days can be exciting and some are slow and uneventful.
I have learned how to use resources available to me like outside agencies to achieve results, also good communication skills, you need them, both with the public and colleagues.
Management has sometimes been, shall I say, unavailable, so decisions have to be made on your own experience and judgement.
I have worked with some dedicated and highly motivated people and some not so.
Hardest part of the job..when it seems like you are not getting any results to a problem that is on-going.
Most enjoyable..for me this would be when you go home knowing that you have made a difference to someone's day, by making it better.
Pros
No two days are the same
Resource Planner (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire9 January 2016
An extremely challenging role attempting to balance and provide a safe and efficient service to public against tight financial constraints.
Public Sector - good working pratice but slow
Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Bedford16 July 2015
Change is difficult but staff are positive and senior management understand the need of procurement. The department is leading in business change but is not always cited on budgets and overall business startegy
Satisfying and demanding
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  ANPR29 June 2015
There is no typical day as a Police officer, every day brings different challenges and demands.

The role can be very satisfying but equally it can be sole destroying.
Your emotions, feelings and beliefs are questioned daily with the demands of dealing with missing persons, prolific offenders, fatalities, and Court cases.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Red tape, Politics
Forward Thinking
Regional Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  ENG18 February 2015
My working day can vary from one day to the next and is very much dependent on current global events and issues that impact on the region that I work within. The company that I work for ensures that my unit is fully resourced to deal with fast time issues that impact on wider community and as such are very much forward thinking.

I enjoy working with a range of experienced staff, officers and external partners.

The hardest part of my job is understanding that at times originally agreed objectives can change a number of times shortly before the specified deadline but with my experience and knowledge in collating a host of supportive evidence for my findings, I see this as a reality of working in real time and I can readily adapt to such changes.

I enjoy working in fast paced and live time environments which allow me to thrive in my acquired skills and practices.
Pros
Forward thinking force
Cons
Some administrative tasks can not be completed electronically (expense claims etc)
Great job, personal satisfaction, security.
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Bedford, ENG13 February 2015
Attend work ready for the day and attend incidents as required. New things everyday with no day the same. Great colleagues and social life. Had to resolve issues using own initiative and through communication skills. The hardest part of the job was obtaining leave and working alone in some situations and also paperwork required for the simplest of tasks. Thorough training given in all aspects of the law and included diversity, racial discrimination.
Pros
Secure
Cons
Shift work.
Very pressurised
Emergency Services Operator (Current Employee) –  Bedford, ENG20 October 2014
I take approximately 120 calls a day ranging from the mundane to life threatening situations. Management needs improving, constant criticism is very demoralising and the threat of possible redundancy also leads to low morale. Excellent relationships with fellow workers.
Pros
shift pattern 4 on 4 off
Cons
Poor management, over critical
Working for the police
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  ENG17 August 2014
The job I love. I love that each day would never be the same. Wanting to help and to be able to help people. My to manger never really stay intouch I would have liked to see how your getting on.
Pros
working with people
Cons
not much support and i would have liked
Interesting
CID Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dunstable17 August 2014
The work was varied and very interesting. Met lots of new people and learned lots of new things.