Bedford Borough Council Employee Reviews

Avoid at the moment
customer service centre/temp (Former Employee) –  Bedford18 July 2018
Bedford Borough employees in general are hard working and willing to go the extra mile to serve the public. However the treatment of the staff lately has been very bad. As a previous post has stated there is a lot of uncertainty in the job. I have witnessed staff leaving in tears after a week and stand up rows with management because of a feeling of badgering or bullying. The atmosphere is very tense and hard to work with. Training is sporadic and inconsistent at the customer service center. The staff are very easy to get along with and supportive however.
Pros
Town center and lovely hard working staff
Cons
no parking. bad atmosphere
Uncertainty
Planning Monitoring Officer (Current Employee) –  Borough Hall, Bedford26 April 2018
Management do not actively support growth of the employees, there is currently uncertainty regarding the future of many employees within the organisation due to current restructuring. Employees face a long wait to find out if their jobs are at risk.
The current job I am in is like many others demanding and there is no support for the role. Having raised this as an issue for a year and half I am still no closer to finding out if extra support for the role can be granted.
HR at the organisation is the worst I have ever known, and support to employees is non existent.
Pros
Borough Hall is easy to access.
Cons
As in review.
Productive and progressive
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire16 March 2018
Unsecure job as a temporary contract, good work environmentwith lots to learn and many training oppertunities and fun and helpful team to work with on a day to day basis
a good job, could be managed better
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire18 August 2017
starting early, checking the vehicle and making sure safety equipment is present and correct. going on to complete a set round or starting by planning the delivery tickets on a place by place route. finishing when your work is completed, it was important to keep a good standard and not get complacent.
management was challenging but overcome by patience and consistency. was a nice place to make new friends, some will be for life and meeting new people from many walks of life and backgrounds. getting over the initial language barriers and differences was sometimes harder than expected but again overcome by persistence and patience. the job itself was very physically challenging but being fit and able made it a pleasure for me personally. the best part was finishing nice and early knowing you have done an excellent job.
Pros
task and finish
Cons
bad management
Low standards and history of poor performance
Business Officer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire14 August 2017
A very long-standing culture of low standards and poor management have resulted in a poor overall rating for this employer.
Initiative is not rewarded and too many staff are just waiting for retirement.
Pros
nil
Cons
too many to list
Good
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Bedford14 August 2017
I enjoyed working here , but i was gave a better opitunity which i later realised wasnt. Good working place with great ppl and understanding staff ....
good location
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire28 June 2017
a nice place to work, located right next to town centre (10min walk)
great people, good building layout

bad points: limited parking, especially for non-permanant staff
no AC and windows dont open so its freezing in winter and boiling in the summer
Pros
great location
Cons
no AC
Sports Development
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire4 June 2017
I work with a very positive and dynamic group of people, there is a very open and assured management style .The day to day work is a little bit mundane as the work is predominantly operational from your desk in the office and in some cases we are very dependent on external funding to be able to function. However, the best parts of the role are those events which are community based and are giving the people of Bedford the opportunity to have fun and express themselves. It makes all the effort in the planning that much more rewarding.
Has been a great starting point
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire17 February 2017
Working as a kitchen assistant at a carehome has taught me many valuable lessons. I been put on many courses such as manual handling, first aid as well health and safety. Along with many others working here has taught me the benefits of everyone working together and caring for the residents to the best of our abilities and beyond.
Pros
Convenient hours
Cons
No overtime allowed
Good team and supportive manager
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Borough Hall11 February 2017
Good working and professional team with knowledgeable colleagues who don't moan about their job but are indeed quite passionate.
This was a new area of work and I enjoyed the learning that came with it.
Sitting all day long, as it was office based, was a bit 'hard' for me but luckily, there are some nice walks along the river and the town centre is a 5 or 10 minutes walk. The canteen is not great especially for vegetarian and vegan.
Pros
Good team ethos
Most enjoyable team to work with
Anti-Social Behaviour Officer (Former Employee) –  Borough Hall Bedford8 December 2016
Every day was different according to service users' requirement, therefore, time management was essential.

Continued to learn to be non-judgemental of service users.

Managed self and worked in partnership with co-worker.

Hardest part of the job encouraging partners to take ownership of issues.

Job satisfaction was being able to resolve service users issues.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Lack of partner agencies for service users' intervention
Fun workplace
bin man (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire25 November 2016
It's a good fun place to work but u need to be hard working and be able to work to a deadline and complete all tasks given friendly staff and employees
good place to work bad management
Refuse Collector/Driver (Current Employee) –  bedford3 August 2016
good job with excellent benifits, good co workers shame about management what make the job harder work than it already is
Knowledgeable and professional staff
Autism Spectrum Advisory Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bedford24 May 2016
I was lucky enough to work with people who always put the children in their care at the heart of all they did. The decisions they made and the discussions they had, all had the child's best interest at heart.
Pros
The professionalism
Cons
The lack of funding
nice work enviroment
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford2 March 2016
-typical day at work was collecting letters, filing and storing documents, sometimes typing letters and making phone calls.
-i did learn various type of admin work
-management was ok
-co-workers were friendly but very quiet and reserved to communicate with, sometimes the atmosphere was quiet and awkward.
-hardest part of job was finishing tasks on time, so many documents are given in one day to complete filing and storing.
-most enjoyable part of job was lunch breaks, busy work environment.
Pros
lunch breaks, busy work enviroment, friendly co-workders.
Cons
targets and deadlines, not enough training given.
Low hours offered, inconsistent workplace and management.
Sports Leader/Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Bedford18 February 2016
Poor management not making use of team members, usually not offering work to hired employees. Unsustainable as a result of pay to hour ratio.
Pros
Fair pay for most positions
Cons
Low hours, insecure, undependable management.
Self Employed Contract Employee
Accredited Counter Fraud Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bedford, ENG15 October 2014
A great team to work with and well managed within the Audit department.
Great place
Leisure attendant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, ENG3 July 2014
buyan is a great place to work in as your always productive. my typical day would consist of open up the leisure centre sorting out the cleaning team that arrive and opening up all the rooms that need to be accessed. my day would then consist of setting up equipment,light cleaning,covering reception and maintenance. at some point during the day when my shift is nearly finished the next memeber of staff would arrive and we would have a quick chat about if any thing needs to be done or needed to know. My co-workers are all great because they work well in a team and sometimes when needed on their own. The hardest part bout my job is when i first started to work at the leisure centre because their were so many folders to read with so many procedures but after a day or so everything started to gel. The most enjoyable part was all the people that came because everyone was different and
Productive workplace
Grounds Maintenance Operative (Former Employee) –  Bedford Park20 May 2014
I spent 3 years here and learnt a lot through the training provided. I was trained on all sorts of sports greens and pitches. I worked as a part of a team and got on well with my colleagues and management alike. The job came with great job satisfaction.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
weather conditions
non productive
Car Park Attendant (Former Employee) –  bedford15 March 2014
I learned how to deal with awkward customers, had to check the premises on a regular basis, report things, management ok, some I could work with others not at all, finding stiff bodies, satisfying customers, no training courses offered.