Beacon Centre for the Blind Employee Reviews

Wonderful charity. Poor senior management structure
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sedgley, West Midlands19 September 2019
Firstly, the good:

A wonderful charity with an excellent history and reputation for helping people with low vision across the region. This is mainly achieve by dedicated staff and volunteers.

Bright and modern working environment.

Now the bad:

The centre had a new CEO almost two years ago. She is young, dynamic and ambitious. Unfortunately, she is not a people person unless you fit into two categories: You are young or have a Senior role. Otherwise, there is little engagement or interest in what you do.

The senior management team are running around like headless chickens! They of course delegate to very poorly paid middle managers, but despite this, they are juggling too many balls in the air. Hence, some key initiatives don’t get of the ground or bear fruit. They also have little time to support their workforce, giving rise to poor motivation. (In my first week, I overheard at least three staff talking of frustration of the lack management support and discussing looking for other jobs). You’ll also find it hard under the current regime, to be supported in personal development.

Don’t be put off if you wish to volunteer. But if it’s a career opportunity you are looking for, don’t get your hope up.
very bad to work for
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands26 August 2019
very poor hard work money bad manger very rude never listen man manger only like you if your young clints left in they urine all night cant used commode because only one staff on looking after 70 peoples always short staff not give cold drinks no wateror hot drinks put in small room one girl given aman his night meds in the morning not thing said to her
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Drivers Mate (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton18 July 2019
My role is Drivers mate , which includes sorting out goods for delivery and collection , I have learnt how to sort out copies of CDs DVDs and Video's that are in Breech of the copy right Laws .
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
NO Cons
Was brilliant until new management
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands14 April 2019
I absolutely loved working at beacon the job itself was brilliant!
But now things have changed and new head office management have taken over from old ones and they are not nice
I worked there for over two years, loved my job until then
For a charity to say they are helpful don’t expect help if you are having personal issues.
I ended up leaving due to the fact of no help for my personal issues or consideration for others
Lets hope morale improves now the new ceo has taken over.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Beacon centre31 December 2018
Worked there for 13 years and gave my all to the job.but when i opened my mouth to point out a few home truths was 'made redundant' except without the usual payout. Unscrupulous management stripping the once great charity of its well respected image. Heartbreaking to witness
Pros
Made some nice friends
Cons
Management are overpaid and do nowt
ok
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, UK20 November 2018
Not what you expect in this particular type of environment, only some friendly staff who have genuine compassion. too many redundancies and cut backs now the staff there don't care about the service users
fun workplace
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton7 September 2018
Beacon centre offered a fun enviroment as was my first place of work. The collegues were very friendly and helpful. While there I learned to use 3D software as well as being introduced to 3D printers
Pros
free lunch, flexible hours
fun and caring
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton9 July 2018
I had to interact with various service users from a variety of backgrounds. I had to build the bond of friendship and and trust. I also had to handle cash for the service users from young to elder ages. service users were partly or fully bling or death.
Pros
Interacting with service users and being able to help where i can.
Cons
Would have like to have worked there longer.
Enjoyable, light workplace
Voluntary Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloxwich4 July 2018
Work is not demanding and the people there are nice. Good place to volunteer. Plenty of time for breaks and was nice to now what you were doing was helpful to a good charity.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cannock22 May 2018
It is a great way to get firsthand experience in the workplace for young people,if they want to develop customer service skills looks good on your CV.
Pros
Discounts
was a fun environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  West Midlands21 May 2018
started volunteering March 2017 and helped me with confidence but shortly after more volunteers joined who were of a older age range started to make fun of me with my own problems. Male volunteers did make fun of customers and a worker there with special needs, was fun at start but after seeing other workers making fun and making comments about me behind my back and infront of my face no longer want to go there.
Pros
nothing really
Cons
horrible volunteers, manager isnt polite
Terrible place to work
Assistant hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton13 May 2018
All the staff who do the day day running of the place are always bottom of the pecking order. Paid minimum wage, do all the work and are always first to go when cuts are made. It’s more of a business than a charity these days. It’s all revolved around the big bosses on ridiculous high salaries who never do any actual work.
When I started working there in 2000 it was an amazing place with a lovely atmosphere and the service users were top of the priority list. As the years went by they went further and further down the list. This is meant to a charity for visually impaired and they are just generally tossed to the bottom of the pile now
Cons
Hardly a charity for the blind anymore
Productive and fun workplace
Voulenteer (Former Employee) –  Bilston, West Midlands13 March 2018
Managers and staff all really good, communication between staff is good and hours are flexible. Work hours start when you chose them, lunches given at flexible times, the hardest part is watching out for petty theft during busy hours, the most enjoyable part of the job is speaking to the other volunteers.
Pros
Hours and lunch often when you chose them
Cons
No on floor security
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands6 November 2017
Had something to do every time and was very productive. We helped serve elderly people which include helping them cook, knit, doing quiz’s and at lunch required to take their orders down.
Pros
Good breaks
Fun workplace
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bloxwich West19 September 2017
Always have a laugh, there all kind and loving people who work there, they treat you with respect. There wasn't no hard things about working there it was all easy. The working hours there were just right, we had an hour break which was really good!, i would highly recommend anyone to work there!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
easy to talk to and understanding
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloxwich, West Midlands26 July 2017
They was really nice people. Easy to talk to.understanding. I learned how to tag&hang the clothes, steam the clothes. Also helped when they had a delivery.
Pros
times was sutible
Cons
didnt have much experiance in others departments
Very lively, active and fun workplace
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sedgley, West Midlands16 July 2017
I found day to day the job did not get tedious, I would clock in at around 8:00AM and leave around 3:30PM so a lot of hours were offered. I would in every way help the workplace run smoothly, helping the residents and being where required in the workplace. I learned a lot of social skills and I was forced to work under pressure in those types of situations and I gained a lot of confidence from this. The work that I did there felt very rewarding and I wished I had been there longer. The hardest part of the job was helping out at lunch time, the things we had to do were not difficult but it required lots of travelling around the place ordering food, bringing lots of people down to lunch, taking people back from lunch and helping in the canteen.
Pros
30 minute lunch break.
interesting and friendly environment
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury6 July 2017
The Beacon centre for the blind is a great place to volunteer for work experience. The staff are very helpful and will teach you what you need to know in preparing stock or organising stock ready for the shop floor.
Pros
negotiable hours since it is voluntary
Cons
unpaid
productive days
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands17 February 2017
I did not enjoy this volunteer work that much. Applied to be an admin assistant on a volunteer basis and got placed in the store room to sort through the donated stock.

apart from this, it was ok
Pros
nice day at work
Cons
long hours, no job variety, no reference offered
Good working apmosphere and management of centre
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton9 February 2017
Ensuring swift service to clients and maintaining their security. the café is to kept to high hygiene standards at all times. All colleagues and management helpful and approachable the work place culture varied and stimulating. The most enjoyable meeting different people and been aware of making a difference to maintain their own independence and well-being.
Pros
Varied cultres and ages of people in contact with
Cons
Not enough hours