BDO Employee Reviews

Found 67 reviews matching the search See all 1,060 reviews
Only care if you pass exams
Trainee Business Adviser (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey2 January 2019
BDO always sold themselves as a company who cares about their employees. This was a lie. People who did the bare minimum at work and for the brand but achieve top exam scores are more appreciated than those who constantly worked hard on a daily basis and put effort in for the brand but struggled with exams. Managers would ask what would help in your role but never actually help and then it was deemed your fault for not knowing something.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Formal
Disposable Work Culture
Data Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool28 December 2018
The Shared Services Centre in Liverpool is unique to the firm in that its function is solely to cut down on costs, this is reflected in the very poor levels of pay and the attitude towards staff. Staff are not allowed to work from home, listen to music on their headphones whilst working or have any of the other minimums that are granted to staff in all the other offices.

The bulk of the staff employed are quite young, and this will lend to a good social life, but this does not make up for an atmosphere where employees are made to feel disposable. In my time there I saw more than two dozen people leave personally, that is no exaggeration. It creates the impression that staff are disposable and that there is no effort to retain people.
Pros
Social Life
Cons
Very low pay, staff made to feel disposable
London Office is amazingly nice and professional. Culture is awful
1st/2nd Line Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baker Street15 December 2018
From My time at BDO as an IT Service Desk Analyst, I can honestly say it is one of the worst places I have worked as far as management, work culture and team Moral. The office and building are really nice and have its perks however I worked there and found that management was very disrespectful and they do not like too compliment and encourage those who are being acknowledged by the user's we support. I got a positive feedback on my first week and no one from management approached me to say good work or fantastic start, literally nothing.

Personally I believe that there is a massive lack of competence on the team. the Network and Infrastructure team are outsourced and I believe in the future it maybe the same for the IT Service Desk. I am currently working there but awaiting for January to find more openings and opportunity.

Also there is whats openly known as the 'Golden circle' which in my opinion looks more like revenge of the nerds. consist of friends (in Management) that are looking out for each other and those they keen on, whilst other who may not be seen in a good light from this group for personal reasons are shunned upon and you can kiss the idea of promotion good bye :). This is in regards to the IT Team and for anyone joining them. The rest of the business I can not comment.

Would not advise anyone to work as an IT Service Desk Analyst here, simply put, beyond incompetent.
Not bad for someone just starting out
Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  London28 November 2018
Nice people, good working environment and lots of smart people to learn from.
Good to learn a lot in a short space of time before moving on to pastures new.
Pros
Nice office, good location
Cons
Not much movement
Client Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manchester21 September 2018
BDO was a great place to work, the managers were very approachable and very willing to develop members of staff. The training within the company is very good and great scope fro development.
nice place to work- different from big 4
Assistant Manager - Human Capital (Former Employee) –  london18 September 2018
overall a good place to work. people friendly, however tax can be stressful. Management very strict and just interested in numbers not really what people are doing as long as client paying.
Challenging workplace
Audit Semi-Senior (Former Employee) –  London11 August 2018
The days could be laborious as it entails working at client sites. Sometimes deadlines could be very tight.

The hardest part of the job was working away from home. Especially for people with families.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the experience and exposure of many industries.
Cons
Long hours, high school environment where people form cliques
A workplace with no social life
Audit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gibraltar19 July 2018
No one will provide much support or teach you. Everyone is busy with their own work and if you don't know about auditing/ accounting you won't have a very nice time.

First couple of weeks I was required to watch videos which were then not very applicable/ sufficient for the job required. After this it was mostly copy pasting jobs. More attention was paid to the presentation of the internal documents than to understanding the process of an audit and accounting.

I did eventually learn what an audit was about, how accounting works, what the process and reasoning is as well as other bits and bobs that I believe will be useful to me later on in life.

People at this company are NOT there to make any friends, so if you are hoping to get along with your colleagues don't get a job here.

###Disclaimer: to be fair I WAS fired from this job and I can be a difficult person to deal with at times as I can open my mouth when it is really not the time. Furthermore I come from an engineering background.
Pros
no one expects you to work past 17:30
Cons
no job support
Alot of fun
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baker Street17 July 2018
Great management monitoring everyone always willing to give a helping hand.

Good atmosphere in the office with everyone going to the pub on fridays,,
Financial Administrator/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Leicester11 July 2018
Brilliant place to work and sad to leave.

Enjoyed my time here and learnt many new skills and met many people along the way.

Always been a pleasure coming in to work and enjoyed my time here a lot.
Productive and fun place to work - Easy to grow
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  St Helier, Jersey16 April 2018
I was always working in the BDO network. BDO Jersey has quite a different atmosphere as compared to BDO Mauritius. BDO helped to grow career-wise and I am always grateful to BDO.
Pros
Flexible lunch time
Cons
Overtime
Lifestyle balance department
Senior PA for Head of Private Equity Partner (Former Employee) –  London13 April 2018
• Meeting and greeting clients
• Answering telephone calls
• Responsible for the distribution of post
• Managing a very busy complex diary
• Travel arrangements – UK and abroad
• Expenses – submitting onto system
• RMS (internal database system) – adding contact business cards
• Liaising with clients and PA’s to arrange meetings
• Liaising with team regarding setting up meetings/call
• Attending and taking Minutes in Breakfast meetings (occasionally)
• Submitting P2P Invoices on system
• Checking Partner Inbox
• Complex diary management
• Weekly “To do List” update and send to Partner
Pros
Friendly, fun place
Cons
Extremely busy (at times)
Retained Employee
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire26 March 2018
Work on Consultancy basis to tidy up the Administration of Dixon Motors and collect Debts
All Staff Approachable
All Tasks Treated with discretion and enjoyable time
Cons
Great company to work for
Personal Assistant to Director (Former Employee) –  London26 March 2018
Fantastic people! Great London location. All round great company to work for especially if you want to progress your career quickly. Hours are also great!
Pros
Subsidised lunch
Cons
Arent any!
Funplace to work
Manager - Tax and Accounting (Current Employee) –  Valence4 March 2018
Involved and innovative partners.
Funplace to work.
Many extra-work events.
A lot of autonomy given as long as tasks are completed.
I strongly recommend.
Low salary, repetitive work
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk23 February 2018
Good for learning and sits nicely on cv. Very low salary and management doesnt care about your progression. I dont know about other departments but central hubs are not recommended as you are used on very low wages and next to zero progression opurtunities.
Pros
Free fruit
A Mixed Bunch
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire21 February 2018
I have an overall positive experience with this company, as a whole. The office is located in a central position in a fairly new building and is a pleasant atmosphere to work in.

BDO tries to instil company values but I am not sure how effective they are.

In my experience, it appears that the more senior fee-earning staff and certain departments are able to reap more rewards than others.
Pros
Away Days & The odd free lunch
Cons
High Expectations
Good working environment
Trainee Accountant (Former Employee) –  Ware13 February 2018
Compiled accounts for small businesses and conducted regular audits. Learnt to work accurately, to work well as part of a team and to tight client deadlines.
Mi perfil
Reception Manager (Current Employee) –  London1 February 2018
Me apasiona brindar un excelente servicio al cliente y creo en inspirar al equipo dando el ejemplo.
Puedo trabajar bajo presión y enfrentar situaciones exigentes de manera profesional.
Very corporate environment
Risk Advisory Services Trainee (Former Employee) –  Glasgow28 January 2018
Most time is spent at desk working to very tight deadlines. There is very little guidance on how to complete tasks. It is very much a sink or swim environment for new graduates.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.