BCHA Employee Reviews

Not recommended
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth21 January 2019
If you are serious about supporting people it might be a good place to start with, but not to stay for longer. Too much politics and too much talk about money, but forgetting about the main goal of the organisation which was to support people.
Pros
Amazing life experience of supporting people
Cons
Bullying, Lack of respect to employees and clients, company more focused on money than helping people
Never work for this company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset26 May 2018
The people who hold this company together are the staff and project leaders working in the schemes. They are, however, treated appallingly by senior management who are quick to jump on the bandwagon if things go wrong but never highlight or praise good practise. Turnover over staff is unprecedented.
If you work in a scheme outside of Plymouth or Bournemouth, forget it! There is obvious favouritism in these areas which is felt by all who work in other areas.
Talented individuals at the customer face are ignored and it is very much a culture of ‘if your face fits’ or you need to be cocky and brash to get ahead.
Avoid!!
Pros
Cons
Ineffective SLT, over worked and underpaid staff in customer facing posts, high turnover of staff, no relief staff to cover
Productive workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset22 July 2018
Great opportunities for training. Opportunity to work with a diverse group of vulnerable people with complex needs. Career progression opportunities within the company
Pros
Training opportunities
Inspiring and intesting
Admin Assis (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset22 June 2018
I felt part of the team.

I learned to mix with people from all backgrounds. A great diverse work culture and ethics. It wasn't hard and I enjoyed everything!
Pros
Lunch, flexible hours
Cons
A not so rewarding challenge
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset14 March 2018
A company with little desire to move forward with staff development and very little concern for the welfare of their employees. They lack insight into new opportunities and have no route for staff to throw ideas out for consideration which may help them to develop and grow. Too focused on the status quo to recognise the opportunities available.
SupportedHousing Manager (Current Employee) –  Devon1 May 2018
Felt valued and supported from day 1. Organisation invests in staff training and had a pay increase when other organisations are reducing their investment in staff.
Pros
Good training and benefits
Bad experience
Hospital Support worker (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset3 March 2018
Poor management, poor wages and opportunities to progress within the company. Little support from management, blame culture with very unhappy work force on the frontline
6 Month Contract
Receptionist / Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boscombe, Dorset10 November 2017
Despite being only a temporary contract this position meant the world to me as I was extremely demotivated to find work due to the people I was surrounded with and I feel I was not fully out of the school leaver mentality at this stage in my life.
Pros
Felt like I was capable of office work
Cons
Slightly incompetant at the role
Best change I ever made
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dorset23 September 2017
After working in education for over 17 years, the decision to apply and ultimately be offered a post at BCHA was a difficult one.
It was the best decision I have ever made workwise!
Support from management has been phenomenal and the training I have received is second to none.
The team I now manage have been incredibly helpful and understanding and we have gelled into an amazing work unit.
I can’t rate this company highly enough
Pros
Team spirit, managerial support, pay and benefits
Cons
An amazing place to work
Volunteer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset5 November 2017
I very much enjoyed working at BCHA and it is somewhere I would look to again to go back and work.
I was able to gain many skills there as well as get a first hand view on how Mentoring works.
I would strongly recommend anyone thinking about becoming a mentor or a life coach to approach BCHA.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Under funded
Not enough employees to do the work.
Housing Officer (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset24 August 2017
A poor employer. High staff turnover and quite ruthless management. Pay rates not competitve. Management largely complaining about lack of money and seem self motiivated and aloof. Chief Executive acts strangely and is very nervous.
Pros
working in Bournemouth
Negative experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth14 March 2017
I have never had the misfortune of dreading going to work until joining BCHA. I managed only 3 months and from my first day there I felt depressed, unmotivated and henpecked. All the staff are very downtrodden and have nothing positive to say about the organisation. The managers were all full of their own importance and had no care for their teams or their customers. I would never recommend working for this organisation.
Organusation In Steep Decline
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dorset16 June 2016
The executive team have completed a restructure that has brought in unproven wanabees and the culture of good to great through Christian concern is lost.

The customer is forgotten about through bearocracy and the organisation is attempting to cut corners through excessive service charges and a sinking fund that is not true of tenants contribution.

They should be ashamed!!!!....
Pros
Front line staff.
Cons
Attempts at social enterprise, executive team, expertise
Good team spirit
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset27 March 2017
A good team ,regular relevant supervision, not enough opportunities for career development and not enough oppertuities to progress within the organisation..lacked on going training .
Pros
Good team spirit
floating support worker
Floating support worker (Former Employee) –  Dorset10 September 2015
difficult as you coud be one scheme for a shift and not return for a few months. Good for adaptability skills as you could get as stuck in as you wanted, always something to do.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not many day shifts
My work place
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bedford29 April 2016
I work Monday and Thursday mornings from 07:30 - 10:30 in a Sheltered Housing Scheme for the Elderly.
I have to report to the Scheme Manager anything that isn't right and if a Resident is in need of washing tokens I can give them out.
My main duties are cleaning the toilets wet room guest room office kitchen lounge conservatory stairs front and back.
The hardest part of my job is making sure that the kitchen is very clean and tidy.
The Scheme Manager does lunch club breakfast clubs coffee mornings and we have now been given a 5 from the Environmental Health Standards twice for the upkeep of the kitchen.
I am so proud of my work and it is nice when some of the residents come up and tell me how clean and nice everywhere looks.
I have been there 13 years now, but unfortunately this place is closing in October and as of yet I don't know if I will be kept on at the new build that is taking place the other side of Bedford as it is going to be a 3 Storey building and as of yet the main Management Team have not decided anything about me having a job over there.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Fun
NCS Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset12 March 2017
Great fun experience in which many key life lessons and experiences were gained and used. Great chance to improve communication, team leading and team work skills.
Bcha
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dorchester11 March 2015
Good company to work for. I have enjoyed working for them.
I have been a manager and support worker and have been supported well by my line manager.
Pros
all good
Cons
none really
Unsupporting, ineffective management. Very poor IT/ Admin practices
Mental Health Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset14 February 2017
Palease think twice before applying to this company.

BCHA Mental Health has committed to a large contract which they cannot fulfil. Since joining this organisation, my role has been plagued with issues which could be so easily resolved & addressed but simply aren't.

There is a distinct lack of designated or consistent training. New starters are left to struggle with the antiquated, complex in house software platforms along with the ongoing BAU IT issues. No-one has the time to show you anything, all of it appears to be 'On the job training' which is reasonable, expected & crucial to some extent. However, coupled with the absence of adequate training or line management support who seem to be oblivious of how much work is actually generated by a case load of 20+ clients plus all of the admin much of which is currently being completed by stressed out, under resourced employees in their own time after a full day's unrelenting workload because they do not want to impact their service clients needs.

The current high turn over of staff demonstrates this problem very clearly.

It's a great shame, BCHA had the potential to be a very successful, effective organisation, providing high quality, dedicated, much needed care for it's clients but not until a radical shake up of it's current policies & practices.
Pros
Varied, challenging work, immensely rewarding helping others
Cons
IT systems & admin software are inefficient. Lack of training & resources hampers progress