BBC Employee Reviews

Dynamic workplace
Paid Intern HR/Project Management & IT (Former Employee) –  London20 September 2016
I worked in the HR department of the BBC in New Broadcasting House and worked with people who were working on the 'Transition Project' for the BBC where they were moving people form White City (W12) to Portland Place/Regents Street (W1) and Salford, Manchester, as well as with the 'Restructuring Project' of the BBC where they had to generate good quality content on a tighter budget, this involved massive employee movement. I helped with job recruitment by receiving, printing and filing CV's and other relevant documents. I updated spreadsheets with information that I was sent in regards to HR and people mapping. I PA'd for people in my office by organising meetings, emailing attendees and had to book rooms via their inter-telecom system, and hence updated people's calendars with relevant information/events. I worked on talent mapping and had to edit and update a current talent map. I also shadowed the BBC Group Finance Director where I learned how finances work within a business/company, how to budget and plan departmental savings over a long term period, and how to manage sensitive and confidential data. I also worked in IT,where I did Asset Monitoring and budgeting, I then took the data and compared it to what we were being budgeted for to make sure we weren't being over charged. I also learned to use the JML software and helped set up E-mail accounts.
Great Work Experience
Camera Assistant / Runner / Camera Op (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire27 August 2016
Excellent team, great program an all round a great experience. Long hours but worth it for the experience and great food at lunch and sometimes dinner.
Kerry Review
June Production Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon12 July 2016
Executive Assistant with many years of experience supporting all levels up to high-profile board executives. Adept at anticipating needs, working pro-actively and independently. Proven ability to plan and manage complex logistics, confidential correspondence, events, travel arrangements and expenses with the highest level of discretion. Exceptional organizational, project management and problem solving skills. Disciplined, accountable and committed to producing quality work in a timely manner; productive in fast-paced, deadline-driven environments. Easily develops and maintains effective relationships with clients and co-workers; sensitive to diversity and adaptive to various personalities and management style

Main Duties:

.• Managing the day to day running of the office (including taking calls, stationary orders, maintaining IT / supplier relationships)
• Booking travel and company wide events in London and over seas. Deal with CEO and senior managers travel to events to help run there busy day activities.
• Financial administration: Processing company expenses, raising purchase orders, arranging invoices, generating expenses reports, company credit/debit card reconciliation, petty cash.
• Dealing with all aspects of health and safety in the office and first aiders. Managing all aspects of office management.
• Controlling Budgets and running an ever-challenging environment.
• Quick turnarounds and short pre-production periods demanded resourcefulness.
Working as a S.A. for the BBC
Supporting Artist (Former Employee) –  Victoria30 June 2016
Though a vital part of the project, SA's are often dismissed as not important. To say this is galling would be an understatment.
Pros
Being involved in an exciting project.
Cons
Irregular hours and no security.
Still good place to work but used to be better
Senior Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London29 June 2016
News is high pressure and anti-social hours wherever you work, but the BBC has always done its best to be accomodating and childcare-friendly. This is slipped a bit in the age of austerity, but they remain largely committed to that. Management seems to have become somewhat transient over recent years, as cuts have been implemented and it can be frustrating working with bosses who sometimes seem to be less than motivated, or very self-interested. But that's the same with most big companies. Broadly speaking, the BBC remains a good employer (abiding by Union agreements in the main), and I would recommend working there.
Pros
Not profit driven, listen to Unions
Cons
News hours are long and anti-social, often little thanks for you work
Bbc
BBC Asian Network Politics Reporter (Former Employee) –  Westminster26 May 2016
The BBC is a great place to work, where you have many opportunities to develop and grow. Hardest part of this and any journalism job is the deadlines.
Workroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  London22 May 2016
Working within the cast members area, I learnt key making skills within millinery and alterations. As well as gaining some valuable experience within the industry.
An interesting and enjoyable place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh21 May 2016
Working with the BBC is a pleasant and productive experience. Working in the Edinburgh Fringe was laid back but professional experience. The managers and coordinators helped to guide us through the tasks which we must complete. My role meant that I was very involved with the public.
Pros
Being able to communicate with the public.
Excellent experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 May 2016
Doing work experience at the BBC allowed to see an insight in working in media. I always had a task to carry out and and the employees were all helpful and friendly.
Fun, Exciting and Productive Workplace
BBC North Young Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Salford12 April 2016
BBC North was the first job in which I felt truly comfortable with both the people and the work, where I could be completely productive and myself around both my co-workers and my bosses. Everyone I met were friendly and accepting, regardless of ethnical origin or religion. The diversity of the BBC is inspiring to anyone and always welcomes new people with open arms warmingly. The work and the tasks ranged from simple to challenging, yet there was never any pressure onto you, you were always helped and guided every step of the way.
Production Mangement
Production Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 April 2016
The job was good working several small groups and leasing there travel, accomodation, media etc for various shoots each week.

Keeping the administration skills I had up and communication skills.
Lovely bunch of people
Freelance Sound Engineer (Current Employee) –  City of London21 March 2016
BBC New provide output over 24 hours, therefore this involves shift work. They have a friendly working enviroment and are based in the centre of the city.
Inventive and forward thinking company
Operation Manager (Current Employee) –  W120JG15 March 2016
A great company for new initiatives and delivering money straight back into the BBC.

Really nice co-wrokers and teams who have to integrate most of the time to get projects achieved.
Little gratification for hard work, lack of opportunity
Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  London3 March 2016
The culture and people working for the BBC could not get any better. Sadly this has been let down by management, salary and lack of career progression.
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  White City20 February 2016
The BBC is a fantastic place to work. The pay is below market rate but the people you work with are fantastic.

You will get to use the latest technologies and there are plenty of opportunities to learn new skills.
Pros
Work life balance, learn new skills
Cons
low pay
Unproductive, but potentially fun
Freelance Contracts Team (Former Employee) –  London9 February 2016
The BBC has a culture of "job for life" despite the deep cuts to staff while too many incompetent management sit with cushy jobs and high salaries. This culture has led to inefficiency and laziness among some staff.

My experience is only a small part of a large organization so other experiences will be different.
Pros
Salaries are decent, targets are easy to achieve
Cons
Working with lazy colleagues and bad managers who feed off your hard work.
very productive and educative
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London19 January 2016
A typical day at work was loaded with one thing or the other to do but was a great fun to do them, also a great and diverse team who are ready to help one another anytime
Creative environment
Bilingual Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London12 January 2016
Very dinamic place to work, creative environment. Overall, good work/life balance and many training possibilities.
Excellent
TalkSport Live Internship (Current Employee) –  London10 January 2016
Great place to work and learn first hand from media professionals. Fun and bright place to work in. Lovely and friendly people in the company.
Pros
experience
Great place to work...
Senior Server and Storage Engineer (Current Employee) –  London, ENG28 December 2015
If you love anything TV, this is a great place to work and get an insight into how some of your favorite BBC programs and others are made. BBCW has some very talented individuals, and allows you to pretty much carve your own career path.
Pros
BBCW DVD releases
Cons
Not enough freebies