BBC Employee Reviews

Good pension scheme and training. Low pay in IT
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  London25 March 2017
There should be a revision on Design and Engineering salaries. They are too low compared to the equivalents in the commercial sector.

This is making the company very dependant on Graduates with little experience and highly paid contractors to get the job done. Lots of engineers leave the company because it fails to provide competitve salaries and it is verty difficult to recruit people because of the low offered wages.
Pros
Pension scheme. Training oportunities.
Cons
Low salaries
Great place to work, very relaxed
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  White City, Greater London23 March 2017
A very relaxed environment, great support from management with a good level of work life balance. Lots of opportunities to advance your learning and career.
Not what it seems
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester15 March 2017
Racism and bullying is a big issue here. It needs to be addressed. Especially as a public funded organisation. Looks good from outside but seen to many negative things that management get away with.
Pros
BBC on CV
Cons
Long hours, competitive team mates
Exciting and fun workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2017
The BBC is one of the most revered institutions in the UK. Whether you work in News or Libraries and Archives, there is always an urgent deadline to be met which can be stressful. On the other hand, this is not a dull place of work, colleagues are fun to be with and no two working days are the same.
Pros
exciting and inspiring
Cons
shift work and sometimes long hours
Vibrante place to work, much activity.
Facilities Consultant - Self - employed basis (Former Employee) –  London8 March 2017
A very varied job covering all aspects of facilities and moves and changes. Very glamorous visitors hence the venues always had to be cleaned and maintained to a very high standard.
High standard
Production Editor, Ericsson (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 March 2017
All aspects of work are held to a high degree of scrutiny. Turn over is immense. All services connected to BBC are liable to privatisation or outsourcing.
Great company to work with
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire28 February 2017
Working with the BBC is a great thing to do and a good name to have behind you. You have to have a lot of patience with management as nothing happens fast but for the most part it's good.
fun workplace
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Inverness26 February 2017
working in all different sectors with different team members.
i had the opportunity to watch a programme go out live on air.
i had the chance to record my own pretend radio show
Pros
my mum worked there, fun environment, i knew the staff
Amazing
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 February 2017
Great work environment, amazing people and endless opportunities. Everyone made my time there one to remember. My age did not act as a barrier and I had the opportunity to get a hands-on experience.
Pros
Good hours
Working for one of the most respected media organisations in the world.
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  Bristol20 February 2017
I have commentated at football matches for the BBC for some time and since turning freelance have now started to add other elements to that - such as attending press conferences at sports clubs such Bath Rugby and Bristol City FC for both radio and TV. From a technical side I have learned to use recorders and ISDN units, while the experience as a broadcaster has been invaluable.
Pros
Working for my dream company.
Cons
Irregular work.
Fun place
PA/Team Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 February 2017
Days can vary depending on your department
I have learnt a variety of skills.
Management at committed and hard working
Hardest part of the job can The most enjoyable can be the variety.
Pros
Being able to take part and be part of an audience
Cons
Long hours and low pay
Very lovely place to work
Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  London10 February 2017
I have worked for BBC for number of years, due to Redundancy, I have to leave BBC. I have enjoyed my time working for BBC and have worked in different sections I enjoyed working for News the most.
Pros
Fun to work with BBC
Cons
Very Flexable
Exciting and inspiring place to work
Staff Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  London, UK6 February 2017
As a producer at the BBC World Service you experience pretty much everything a journalist can experience. Working both on radio and online, I've had a chance to report, present, produce, write and edit pieces in different formats. During his time, I've learned how fun and fascinating radio can be. I've also learned to work on an online environment, thinking of new formats and new resources.
There I've done the most inspiring and interesting work of my life, covering a range of subjects that included renewable sources of energy, to child labour, carnival in Brazil, and refugees in Somaliland.
The hardest part of the job was to learn so many new skills, but once I've learned them, it also became the most enjoyable part of the job.
The environment was always changing
Title-Cameraman/ Combat Correspondent (Former Employee) –  London, UK4 February 2017
My day varied from week to week. I was a camera guy so I would be working different programs within the building or I would be working with a news reader out in London or wherever I was sent
Great experience
Telephonist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 January 2017
Wasn't there for long, was in a great location and very supportive people. Great show to work on which taught me a lot at a young age. I volunteered there so cannot comment on the pay but the experience was fab!
Fantastic place to work!
Assistant to Head of Human Resources, Scotland (Former Employee) –  Glasgow8 January 2017
Very good place to work, highly recommend.

Lots of training offered.

Excellent opportunities if wishing to advance career.

Good for changing direction.

Stimulating environment to work in.

Lots of locations to choose where to work.
Interesting work
Technology Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scotland5 January 2017
Variable job working with a mix of technology and people. Learned loads over the years to do with broadcasting, different to other jobs and certainly an interesting insight to how TV and radio works.
Demanding but Rewarding
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff30 December 2016
All of my work has been freelance so job security is not ideal. It's a challenging and rewarding place to work, but the hours can be too long.
Over all an amazing place
Production Management assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow19 December 2016
It was an amazing place to work, and I learn more than I could imagine. I got to work with truly talented people and wonderful contributors.

However it became a lot and I always had my work on my mind. It got to the point I was more worried about work then enjoying it.
Pros
You get paid and you get to make people happy
Cons
Long hours work comes home with you never truly leave the office
Brilliant
Runner, Researcher and Assistant Producer (Former Employee) –  London6 December 2016
As the first place I started in the industry I owe a lot to what the beeb taught me and I will never forget working in the old Television centre, it was iconic and a lovely place.