BBC Employee Reviews

Inclusive and inforamtive workplace
Supporting Artist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff8 December 2017
In the nature of my role at the company, participating as a supporting role could be considered tedious, however the management were excellent at making sure my co workers and I felt that our roles meant something.
Productive and fun workplace
Runner (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 December 2017
Gave me a platform in the news industry. Allowed me to build on my skills previously learnt in university such as Final Cut Pro and avid media player.
Pros
Interesting line of work
Cons
Freelance Production Work (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 December 2017
Everything! The people are all super nice and friendly, probably because we are all treated with respect. Really relaxed, family style atmosphere but doesn't stop your ability to work like some places. Great benefits and snacks/drinks provided. Management really take the time to talk to everyone and listen to opinions. Training budget is great and you are encouraged to use it.
Great
Intern Journalist (Former Employee) –  York4 December 2017
I went to BBC Radio York for work experience. It was my first one. They sent me out to produce lots of packages for their daytime programmes. They gave me lots of advice, taught me some tips and they were a great to work with.
Fun and exciting
Composer (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 November 2017
I had a great time composing music for the BBC doc "The Forest".
It gave me the chance to showcase my musical and composition abilities.
It also challenged me to write for a different cause.
Buzzing environment
HR Administrator/Interim HR Lead Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 November 2017
Definitely a place which is loud and always buzzing. Every day is different from the next and you never know what to expect which makes working for the BBC exciting
Productive and safe working environment
TV researcher (Former Employee) –  London15 November 2017
I loved working at the BBC during my various contract roles there, the staff are really lovely and when in the office you feel comfortable and greeted by friendly faces constantly.
A typical day in TV isn't easy to explain as it can be very manic and changes on a secondly basis with your work but mainly I was dealing with contributors and supporting senior members of staff.
It is very common to work long hours over your core hours when working in TV but BBC encourage you to leave on time and always offer help to help manage your work load.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
Long hours with no over time pay.
Productive and fun workplace.
Technology Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 November 2017
Enjoyed working behind the bar immensely. I was full time at the Selly Park Tavern in Birmingham for over four years and trained to be assistant manager.
Productive and fun place to work.
RUNNER (Former Employee) –  Cardiff15 November 2017
A great opportunity to work with some really talented crew, on amazing programmes in some beautiful locations. Working with contributors from all backgrounds is really interesting.
A brilliant establishment for learning more on a corporate workforce
Temp Employment/Agency (Former Employee) –  Salford8 November 2017
There were 2 sides of the role, depending on what side of the doors you were on.
I leant many more skills on formal greetings and behaviour in which I can now carry with me to adapt in future corporate roles.
Fairly satisfied.
Senior journalist/multimedia producer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 November 2017
A great place to work. Learning and sharing thoughts and ideas with journalists and others from various parts of the world. Learnt new skills in programme production and publishing. Had the opportunity of understanding diverse cultures and enjoyed food from around the globe. A typical day would start with the editorial meeting within ourselves and on a regional to basis to discuss the news agenda of the day and then the production of the programme and subsequently putting it on Air. Post-broadcast, analyse the programme and discuss the next day's planning. The work culture basically centered around sharing thoughts and ideas, learning from each other, professionally arguing on editorial issues and occasionally going for a pint. The hardest part of the job was the challenges in getting the news quickly, correctly and putting it out immediately on air and publishing it and time management. The enjoyable part is the satisfaction of successful broadcast and seeing our story in print and the positive response to programmes and the appreciations.
Pros
Gaining knowledge on international affairs and news prodcution
Cons
Nothing in particular
Odd place and way of working
Production (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester6 November 2017
It's a very odd place to work. I freelanced in Children's for a while and was a bit taken aback by the place. The project was enjoyable, however there was a strange sense of apathy / fear that I sensed from colleagues who worked there who were staff members.

Chatting with them during my time, I gathered opportunities for promotion and development seemed to be almost non existent and it made them feel they were either not very good at their job or they weren't worthy. All very odd, especially as they seemed over qualified. It was almost as if the company was holding them back.

There was also a tonne of red tape which makes getting the job done a lot more difficult. They have a department for almost anything, and you are required to liaise or obtain sign off from these departments continually rather than trusting you to complete the project.

OK place to work, but only for the odd project now and again.
Exciting and rewarding
Assistant Liaison Officer (Transport) (Former Employee) –  Elstree Studios, Borehamwood. Hertfordshire6 November 2017
I worked as assistant Liaison transport officer charged with the transportation of media and entertainment personnel across the length and breadth of the UK., providing safe delivery of individuals to their various destinations without any hitch. I sat on the committee to find ways of protecting the privacy of clients from the prying eyes of 'paparazzi' who were fast becoming a menace to actors and entertainment industry generally. The sensitive nature of the job notwithstanding, I was constantly under pressure to maintain confidentiality of high-level clients. As a team player I contributed to the sustenance of the company's contract with BBC for a long time.
Pros
I have the opportunity to interact with and learn from talented people
Cons
Long hours. Constant pressure
Enriching knowledge job
Translator (Former Employee) –  Home Based6 November 2017
I learned to montage videos and short movies, to work fast but carefully in the same time, to organise my all day so I can handle all the tasks, to submit my jobs in time. I have enrich my knowledge in History and I learned really interesting historical facts about the British history.
Productive and Fun workplace
News Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 October 2017
Opportunities to go on internal courses and interaction with different departments. Positive atmosphere. Approachable management. Good amenities. Good staff benefits and discounts.
Productive and fun workplace
Treasury Assistant (Former Employee) –  White City, Greater London26 October 2017
Good environment, meet lots of people from different departments, very professional with great facilites. Lots of percs working for this huge corporation.
Pros
Lots of free percs
Cons
pay isn't great for treasurers
Typical internship
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London25 October 2017
Typical internship; large company so there isn't much work or responsibility to go around. Most people are generally nice but since you're not here for long it was hard to get involved in any projects
Awesome best Job Ever
Technical Operator - PSC Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  Oxford23 October 2017
This is a great Job to have , Filming news stories all over the Oxfordshiere Operating Studio cameras ands operating the sound desk for live news programme s really gets the blood pumping
Pros
All of them
Cons
Late shifts
Educational experience
Runner - Snog Marry Avoid (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 October 2017
I worked briefly as a Runner on the BBC Three show, Snog, Marry Avoid. The experience was a lot of fun and very educational but it's not something I wanted to pursue further. Though I am grateful for the experience.
Pros
great staff, educational
Cons
low pay
Media and Presentation Planner (Current Employee) –  London22 October 2017
Good place to work.

Have worked at the BBC for 10 years now. Have learned a lot and have made a lot of contacts both internally and externally.

No negative feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3