BBC Employee Reviews

Lots of changes - best for short term career planning
SecretarialAdmin (Former Employee) –  Variety across multiple departments20 December 2017
When I originally joined company - it was sold company for life, flexible working and variety of good job opportunities across the media range with excellent training. Over the years, due to cost cutting, it's lost that family 'aunty' feel and staff no longer feel cared for for who they are. It's very much a corporation that brings you in for what it wants and gives little back. Under new leadership it is trying to slowly change back so it becomes leader in the industry and staff can feel valued but with Production now semi-privatised into a new affiliated company in the beginning of 2017 - that remains to be seen if the feeling that staff are valued and looked after comes back.

At the production end - the production is the end all and be all and your personal lives are expected to be put on hold. On the managerial side - it is possible to have a work/life balance but don't be surprised to find yourself monitoring emails at weekends etc.

Best bits are working for leading media brand and seeing your programme being broadcast. Worse bit is standing in middle of frozen field wondering if peeing on your feet would help release them from the ground whilst having main star berate you for not sourcing a Starbucks open at 2am in the morning.
Pros
Well known organisation.
Cons
Long hours, don't expect thanks or bonuses.
great
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Borehamwood, Hertfordshire19 December 2017
very friendly staff. I would definitely recommend it to family and friends. I worked there as a cleaner in 2004 and really enjoyed meeting actors and actresses
Interesting & Fun at times
Presenter/Producer (Former Employee) –  Portland Place, London19 December 2017
A typical day here is hard to describe as I was a freelancer, however for my weekly show I presented, a lot of travel was involved. I was driving from Leicester to London for the show and then doing the same commute back at midnight, this wasn't fun. Workplace culture was fun at times, and lots of people willing to help each other, although like in any industry a lot of competitiveness was witnessed. The most enjoyable part of this job was I was meeting new talent, interviewing celebs and people from all walks of life and from all backgrounds. It's a hands on job and a lot of things are learnt whilst doing the job at hand which is a lot of fun and challenging. I like this because it brings the growth of a person to the surface.
Pros
Parking problems on Oxford Street
Cons
Long Day
Excellent company, ambitious and progressive.
BJ (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim18 December 2017
Lots of opportunity to develop career in variety of roles. Spent time here with an engaging and competitive team. Worked in news and features. would recommend.
Inclusive and inforamtive workplace
Supporting Artist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff8 December 2017
In the nature of my role at the company, participating as a supporting role could be considered tedious, however the management were excellent at making sure my co workers and I felt that our roles meant something.
Productive and fun workplace
Runner (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 December 2017
Gave me a platform in the news industry. Allowed me to build on my skills previously learnt in university such as Final Cut Pro and avid media player.
Pros
Interesting line of work
Cons
Freelance Production Work (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 December 2017
Everything! The people are all super nice and friendly, probably because we are all treated with respect. Really relaxed, family style atmosphere but doesn't stop your ability to work like some places. Great benefits and snacks/drinks provided. Management really take the time to talk to everyone and listen to opinions. Training budget is great and you are encouraged to use it.
Great
Intern Journalist (Former Employee) –  York4 December 2017
I went to BBC Radio York for work experience. It was my first one. They sent me out to produce lots of packages for their daytime programmes. They gave me lots of advice, taught me some tips and they were a great to work with.
Fun and exciting
Composer (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 November 2017
I had a great time composing music for the BBC doc "The Forest".
It gave me the chance to showcase my musical and composition abilities.
It also challenged me to write for a different cause.
Buzzing environment
HR Administrator/Interim HR Lead Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 November 2017
Definitely a place which is loud and always buzzing. Every day is different from the next and you never know what to expect which makes working for the BBC exciting
Productive and safe working environment
TV researcher (Former Employee) –  London15 November 2017
I loved working at the BBC during my various contract roles there, the staff are really lovely and when in the office you feel comfortable and greeted by friendly faces constantly.
A typical day in TV isn't easy to explain as it can be very manic and changes on a secondly basis with your work but mainly I was dealing with contributors and supporting senior members of staff.
It is very common to work long hours over your core hours when working in TV but BBC encourage you to leave on time and always offer help to help manage your work load.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
Long hours with no over time pay.
Productive and fun workplace.
Technology Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 November 2017
Enjoyed working behind the bar immensely. I was full time at the Selly Park Tavern in Birmingham for over four years and trained to be assistant manager.
Productive and fun place to work.
RUNNER (Former Employee) –  Cardiff15 November 2017
A great opportunity to work with some really talented crew, on amazing programmes in some beautiful locations. Working with contributors from all backgrounds is really interesting.
A brilliant establishment for learning more on a corporate workforce
Temp Employment/Agency (Former Employee) –  Salford8 November 2017
There were 2 sides of the role, depending on what side of the doors you were on.
I leant many more skills on formal greetings and behaviour in which I can now carry with me to adapt in future corporate roles.
Fairly satisfied.
Senior journalist/multimedia producer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 November 2017
A great place to work. Learning and sharing thoughts and ideas with journalists and others from various parts of the world. Learnt new skills in programme production and publishing. Had the opportunity of understanding diverse cultures and enjoyed food from around the globe. A typical day would start with the editorial meeting within ourselves and on a regional to basis to discuss the news agenda of the day and then the production of the programme and subsequently putting it on Air. Post-broadcast, analyse the programme and discuss the next day's planning. The work culture basically centered around sharing thoughts and ideas, learning from each other, professionally arguing on editorial issues and occasionally going for a pint. The hardest part of the job was the challenges in getting the news quickly, correctly and putting it out immediately on air and publishing it and time management. The enjoyable part is the satisfaction of successful broadcast and seeing our story in print and the positive response to programmes and the appreciations.
Pros
Gaining knowledge on international affairs and news prodcution
Cons
Nothing in particular
Odd place and way of working
Production (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester6 November 2017
It's a very odd place to work. I freelanced in Children's for a while and was a bit taken aback by the place. The project was enjoyable, however there was a strange sense of apathy / fear that I sensed from colleagues who worked there who were staff members.

Chatting with them during my time, I gathered opportunities for promotion and development seemed to be almost non existent and it made them feel they were either not very good at their job or they weren't worthy. All very odd, especially as they seemed over qualified. It was almost as if the company was holding them back.

There was also a tonne of red tape which makes getting the job done a lot more difficult. They have a department for almost anything, and you are required to liaise or obtain sign off from these departments continually rather than trusting you to complete the project.

OK place to work, but only for the odd project now and again.
Exciting and rewarding
Assistant Liaison Officer (Transport) (Former Employee) –  Elstree Studios, Borehamwood. Hertfordshire6 November 2017
I worked as assistant Liaison transport officer charged with the transportation of media and entertainment personnel across the length and breadth of the UK., providing safe delivery of individuals to their various destinations without any hitch. I sat on the committee to find ways of protecting the privacy of clients from the prying eyes of 'paparazzi' who were fast becoming a menace to actors and entertainment industry generally. The sensitive nature of the job notwithstanding, I was constantly under pressure to maintain confidentiality of high-level clients. As a team player I contributed to the sustenance of the company's contract with BBC for a long time.
Pros
I have the opportunity to interact with and learn from talented people
Cons
Long hours. Constant pressure
Enriching knowledge job
Translator (Former Employee) –  Home Based6 November 2017
I learned to montage videos and short movies, to work fast but carefully in the same time, to organise my all day so I can handle all the tasks, to submit my jobs in time. I have enrich my knowledge in History and I learned really interesting historical facts about the British history.
Productive and Fun workplace
News Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 October 2017
Opportunities to go on internal courses and interaction with different departments. Positive atmosphere. Approachable management. Good amenities. Good staff benefits and discounts.
Productive and fun workplace
Treasury Assistant (Former Employee) –  White City, Greater London26 October 2017
Good environment, meet lots of people from different departments, very professional with great facilites. Lots of percs working for this huge corporation.
Pros
Lots of free percs
Cons
pay isn't great for treasurers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3