BBC Employee Reviews

Variety keeps you progressing
Business Organiser and Payments Team Manager (Former Employee) –  London31 January 2018
As would be expected from a company with a very wide and varied scope, there is a lot of scope to move into new fields. Great training and allows staff to work flexibly.
Production creative workplace
Freelance/Casual Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2018
Enjoyable creative day. The news is different every day. Researching and coming up with ideas for programmes. Finding guests for interview. Writing stories and cues. Producing news bulletins and programmes. Editing audio. Live studio production. Working to tight deadlines under pressure.
Pros
Prestige
Cons
Long Hours
Multiple posts
News Media Manager / Senior Researcher (Former Employee) –  London and Cambridge24 January 2018
Great organisation to have worked for. Proud to have been an employee for many years, Miss working with a team of dynamic and creative individuals......
Intersting and enjoyable
Chaperone (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 January 2018
The job did require long working hours, and depending on which production I worked on, I met a variety of people and travelled to a Iot of places I perhaps wouldn't have without the opportunities within the job.
Most of my time within the job I was working with my son, who is a child actor, so it was good to share the experience with him.
It is a job where you work as a team but due to usually long production processes, the team become more like family.
Hard working fun Workplace
Runner (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff11 January 2018
Days on the production of Crimewatch were never quiet and it was a great job to learn new things and work on new equipment.
Everyone was very friendly and all work hard to crate the best production possible.

I was never unhappy going into the workplace at the BBC.
Great place
DJ/radio presenting (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim7 January 2018
Great place other staff really friendly. Love doing shows. Love meeting people and people there work so well of keeping bbc Ulster great and fun. I do have experience of radio presenting as I do a few voluntary shows and now I Am willing to take it on as my career I am really happy x
Pros
Launches
Educational experience
Facilities Management/Engineering Team (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff4 January 2018
Well looked after with regards to training and enjoyed my job and the people there, there was lots to do there but all the work was exciting as you can imagine because it was mostly TV related
Pros
free carpark
Cons
stressful work
Good starting point
Post Production Trainee (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2018
I learnt a lot as a trainee in post production which helped put a professional overview on all the things I had learnt at university. I left after completing my training.
Friendly but firm
CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGER - AMERICAS (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 December 2017
The BBC was a great place to work. I diverse mix of cultures and a friendly working togetherness atmosphere. I was in the BBC World Service and it had a slightly different temperament to the domestic arms. We were funded by the Goverment directly and not via the licence payer. Money was strictly controlled and it was unavble to afford the large salaries that has led the BBC open to criticism for the rates of pay of some of its big stars. Thing is though, you have to pay the market rat or they wil go to the competition!
Pros
friendly and rewarding
Cons
tight and unless you are a star, low pay.
easy to work
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, UK30 December 2017
This place ,we did not face to any customer ,it mean our shift was after office time and before time so never have had stress and hesitate while working ,In the circumstances,free of pressure to work mentally and physically.
Pros
free drink either hot or cold
Cons
A wonderful environment for those who strive to succeed and develop
BBC One (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 December 2017
Everyday is never the same and this is such a great thing. You're constantly learning and developing new skills - particularly your communication, confidence and writing skills.
Productive and fun workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Norwich21 December 2017
Managing and updating the organisation's databases, engaging with communications strategy and assisting with productions of the BBC Radio Norfolk (i.e. BBC Introducing).
Lots of changes - best for short term career planning
SecretarialAdmin (Former Employee) –  Variety across multiple departments20 December 2017
When I originally joined company - it was sold company for life, flexible working and variety of good job opportunities across the media range with excellent training. Over the years, due to cost cutting, it's lost that family 'aunty' feel and staff no longer feel cared for for who they are. It's very much a corporation that brings you in for what it wants and gives little back. Under new leadership it is trying to slowly change back so it becomes leader in the industry and staff can feel valued but with Production now semi-privatised into a new affiliated company in the beginning of 2017 - that remains to be seen if the feeling that staff are valued and looked after comes back.

At the production end - the production is the end all and be all and your personal lives are expected to be put on hold. On the managerial side - it is possible to have a work/life balance but don't be surprised to find yourself monitoring emails at weekends etc.

Best bits are working for leading media brand and seeing your programme being broadcast. Worse bit is standing in middle of frozen field wondering if peeing on your feet would help release them from the ground whilst having main star berate you for not sourcing a Starbucks open at 2am in the morning.
Pros
Well known organisation.
Cons
Long hours, don't expect thanks or bonuses.
great
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Borehamwood, Hertfordshire19 December 2017
very friendly staff. I would definitely recommend it to family and friends. I worked there as a cleaner in 2004 and really enjoyed meeting actors and actresses
Interesting & Fun at times
Presenter/Producer (Former Employee) –  Portland Place, London19 December 2017
A typical day here is hard to describe as I was a freelancer, however for my weekly show I presented, a lot of travel was involved. I was driving from Leicester to London for the show and then doing the same commute back at midnight, this wasn't fun. Workplace culture was fun at times, and lots of people willing to help each other, although like in any industry a lot of competitiveness was witnessed. The most enjoyable part of this job was I was meeting new talent, interviewing celebs and people from all walks of life and from all backgrounds. It's a hands on job and a lot of things are learnt whilst doing the job at hand which is a lot of fun and challenging. I like this because it brings the growth of a person to the surface.
Pros
Parking problems on Oxford Street
Cons
Long Day
Excellent company, ambitious and progressive.
BJ (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim18 December 2017
Lots of opportunity to develop career in variety of roles. Spent time here with an engaging and competitive team. Worked in news and features. would recommend.
Inclusive and inforamtive workplace
Supporting Artist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff8 December 2017
In the nature of my role at the company, participating as a supporting role could be considered tedious, however the management were excellent at making sure my co workers and I felt that our roles meant something.
Productive and fun workplace
Runner (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 December 2017
Gave me a platform in the news industry. Allowed me to build on my skills previously learnt in university such as Final Cut Pro and avid media player.
Pros
Interesting line of work
Cons
Freelance Production Work (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 December 2017
Everything! The people are all super nice and friendly, probably because we are all treated with respect. Really relaxed, family style atmosphere but doesn't stop your ability to work like some places. Great benefits and snacks/drinks provided. Management really take the time to talk to everyone and listen to opinions. Training budget is great and you are encouraged to use it.
Great
Intern Journalist (Former Employee) –  York4 December 2017
I went to BBC Radio York for work experience. It was my first one. They sent me out to produce lots of packages for their daytime programmes. They gave me lots of advice, taught me some tips and they were a great to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3