BBC Employee Reviews

Professional and Cutting Edge
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 July 2018
The BBC was a professional environment to work in and uses the top staff coupled with cutting edge apparatus and working practises to deliver a best in class product to licence fee paying customers.
The bbc
Production Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 July 2018
The BBC sets the bar for public broadcasting, its endeavour to educate inform and entertain is clear in the work the company produces and in its treatment of its staff. It was a privilege to work there.
Brilliant public sector employer
Senior Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  London21 July 2018
Would still be there today if we hadn't been outsourced!

Worked in a professional but relaxed environment where line manager was excellent at acting as an interface between higher management and staff. Great man-management.

Corporate philosophy changed, such that IT for HR systems was deemed worthy of outsourcing. Great shame for the workers and the business.
flog it
runner (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire20 July 2018
Was a good day on their valuation day. Learnt lots and hope to gain more from them in future. I only shadowed and was not able to get hands on with professional roles.
not good
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester18 July 2018
not good mangers are a jobs worth not enough work to last through out the day line managers are not great to get on with not the best of money either for what you have to do
Fascinating work experience
BBC Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire10 July 2018
I remember being hugely captivated by the experience of getting involved, first hand, with the media world. It really changed my outlook for my career, and made me realise that the creative and entertainment industries are something in which I have the potential to really thrive.
Depends who you work with.
Digital Media (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2018
Some teams place personality is placed above skill and ability. While some people are totally brilliant, others are not so good you will be superseded very quickly by those that are very good at coasting on others ideas and efforts and making sure they are being seen.

A very fixed mindset from the people who claim to be creative.
Pros
Very talented product teams to work with and learn from.
Cons
Some team managers have a fixed mindset.
Great working on location
INSIDERS - DiR (Former Employee) –  Felixstowe, Suffolk10 July 2018
This was a 6 month shoot followed by some post production work.
Very varied - long hours but very rewarding. We were on location when filming and the ob continued into post production. I dealt with contracts for visiting artists, daily production schedules, visiting shooting location to liaising with my boss, the Director and every day was slightly different. Early starts and long days but I enjoyed it very much.
Pros
Great mix of people
Cons
Early starts!
Interesting
School Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk8 July 2018
It was very interesting to be a part of. It was required as part of my media course to be given an opportunity of experience in the media, which took place at BBC Voices in Norwich
Great company to work for
Animator and Editor (Former Employee) –  Bristol13 June 2018
Helped me gain valuable work experience as a student. Allowed me to express my creative talents and vision and have this shown to a wider audience....
Good but badly managed
Series Producer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 June 2018
Good innovative work culture allowing people to take on big projects but let down by a very poor management culture which is a feature of the BBC in general
Creative stifled by poor management
Series Producer (Former Employee) –  London6 June 2018
Once one of the great companies of the world now struggling to compete in the global market. Very creative people let down by an over complicated management culture.
Fun and exhillerating
Trainee events manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull6 June 2018
The BBC was an incredible opportunity for me to learn the media industry, the staff were friendly and helpful and were eager to share their experience.
Good experience!
Steward (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol5 June 2018
I worked on Antiques Roadshow for some work experience and enjoyed every bit of it. Yes it was for free. Yes the hours were long and yes at some points it was stressful and busy. BUT! What do you expect when working in this industry.
Pros
Free lunches, good communication
Fun place to work
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Bristol5 June 2018
Excellent first job although I soon discovered that I did not want to continue my career in the food industry.
Loved having the chance to work on Children in Need.
good experience
Artist Liaison (Former Employee) –  Swansea4 June 2018
had a really fun time working for the bbc. They are a great company and their outreach programme is great. I am glad I got the opportunity to work for them
BBC Review
Broadcast Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 June 2018
A typical day is learning about the organisation and liaising with staff. Paperwork, upload data, camera work. Broadcast journalism Hardest part of the job was producing journalistic work to show to team.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Limited help
Fantastic organisation but sadly in decline
BBC News (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 June 2018
If you get to work in the right department, you will work hard but enjoy a fantastic workplace working with professional and varied individuals. Sad inditement of the times we live in but the constant need to make savings is stifling creativity and depending on where you work it does seem like an organisation in decline.
Pros
good selection of non-financial benefits
Cons
like for like salary compared to commercial on the low side
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull29 May 2018
Work Experience at BBC Studios meaning that i did not experiences the full effect of working there as i was only there for one day. But i did enjoy my day there
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
Work Experience
news world and detail accuracy
Persian Freelancer (Current Employee) –  London W1A28 May 2018
BBC is a great place to work. Positive attitude is always there. Apart from much detail and accurate work which might be difficult for some people, everything is amazing. Some shifts are not matching parenthood easily but it worth to work for if career is the impotant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3