BBC Pay & Benefits reviews

Review
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Bristol12 September 2018
Is really hard to say. I did not work there for long time and I think my opinion is not valuable. I have good experience. Be prepared for hard work with good team.
Difficult but I'm always up for a challenge
Script Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow4 September 2018
Carried out timely research to understand the viewer's media consumption pattern, preferences and requirement and subsequently assisted writers in preparing the right script to match the consumer demands.
Checked existing storylines for accuracy.
Prepared clear and concise reports of findings which met the requirements of the script and story needs.
Researched alternative approaches to stories providing accurate and detailed supporting material.
Interviewed aspiring writers and assisted in data collection.
Researched emerging trends amongst younger generation and their comedy preferences.
Read scripts and raised issues pertaining to research or credibility.
Worked closely with the production and design teams to ensure a consistent line of research from script research to what is seen on screen.
Undertook all necessary administrative tasks and maintained comprehensive reference systems.
Productive, engaging workplace
Production Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow1 August 2018
Working a year at the BBC straight after finishing my A levels for me was probably the best opportunity for someone wanting to get into the media industry at entry level.

I didn't feel university was for me and wasn't willing to risk 3 years of my life and 50K in debt to test the university's claims of providing students with practical filming experience and an open door into already established media networks, and so I chose to try something more realistic to the working world.

This apprenticeship offered and gave me a lot more than I could've ever realized as it didn't just help me to grow 'professional skills' but helped grow my character, it helped show me what I liked doing and what I didn't like. It provided me with an insight into my own behavior and how this would need to change to thrive in the real world.

But most importantly, this job gave me a real taste of life, I got to complete work that had purpose outside the realm of 'I have to do this otherwise I'll get bad grades leading to a bad life'. It also showed me how life would be after school such as having to apply for jobs which became a very real concern day to day lest you be unemployed. I believe being thrust from school skipping uni and going straight to work almost acted as a fast track into
Pros
Great Benefits and Opportunities
Cons
Lacks diversity - age, race and cultural diversity
not good
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester18 July 2018
not good mangers are a jobs worth not enough work to last through out the day line managers are not great to get on with not the best of money either for what you have to do
Good experience!
Steward (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol5 June 2018
I worked on Antiques Roadshow for some work experience and enjoyed every bit of it. Yes it was for free. Yes the hours were long and yes at some points it was stressful and busy. BUT! What do you expect when working in this industry.
Pros
Free lunches, good communication
Cons
Fantastic organisation but sadly in decline
BBC News (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 June 2018
If you get to work in the right department, you will work hard but enjoy a fantastic workplace working with professional and varied individuals. Sad inditement of the times we live in but the constant need to make savings is stifling creativity and depending on where you work it does seem like an organisation in decline.
Pros
good selection of non-financial benefits
Cons
like for like salary compared to commercial on the low side
extra work
extra (Former Employee) –  Bristol22 April 2018
this work refers to a one time job that was in Bristol it was a 12 hour day and was thoroughly enjoyable plus had tea and coffees included for the day although i believe each extras work can be very different.
Awesome.
Actor (Former Employee) –  London9 April 2018
Definitely my preferred line of work.
Only worked for them, for 3 days, but am still feeling the benefits, a few year after.

They've shown me great professionalism, management, cast and class.
Pros
Most popular soap.
Cons
Would like to work on the show more.
BBC Supporting Actress
Actor - Acting for feature film, ITV Vera (Former Employee) –  North East21 February 2018
Seemed unorganized and not a 100% professional. Moral was unenthusiastic.

I had to buy my own water and shooting out in the cold for many hours in winter time was painful. They didnt have cups to provide for a hot cup of tea.
Pros
nice food, good pay
Cons
long time waiting around, freezing cold, unorginsed.
easy to work
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, UK30 December 2017
This place ,we did not face to any customer ,it mean our shift was after office time and before time so never have had stress and hesitate while working ,In the circumstances,free of pressure to work mentally and physically.
Pros
free drink either hot or cold
Cons
Freelance Production Work (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 December 2017
Everything! The people are all super nice and friendly, probably because we are all treated with respect. Really relaxed, family style atmosphere but doesn't stop your ability to work like some places. Great benefits and snacks/drinks provided. Management really take the time to talk to everyone and listen to opinions. Training budget is great and you are encouraged to use it.
Productive and Fun workplace
News Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 October 2017
Opportunities to go on internal courses and interaction with different departments. Positive atmosphere. Approachable management. Good amenities. Good staff benefits and discounts.
A Slog
Runner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 September 2017
It was very hard work, long hours, little respect given and an air of arrogance from everyone who actually worked there. But it was good experience for me considering I was young and it was my first in field job.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Long Hours
Great Place to Work
Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  LONDON18 April 2017
Great place to work with great people.
I worked in London, it was a great location and easy to access. I worked long hours but all within Health and Safety requirements.
Okay if you're brought in on a decent salary
HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham12 April 2017
An okay place if you fancy coasting indefinitely. Management are questionable as are the office politics. Incredibly difficult to gain any form of salary increase unless if you lie before your interview, leave and come back or jump jobs every five seconds.
Pros
Encouraged to take lunch breaks
Cons
You leave everyday
good company
Classified Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London7 April 2017
great place to work, good people and some really cool benefits. not based in the centre of london but if you don't mind a bit of a commute then its not bad.
Pros
next to Westfield
Cons
out f the way
Good pension scheme and training. Low pay in IT
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  London25 March 2017
There should be a revision on Design and Engineering salaries. They are too low compared to the equivalents in the commercial sector.

This is making the company very dependant on Graduates with little experience and highly paid contractors to get the job done. Lots of engineers leave the company because it fails to provide competitve salaries and it is verty difficult to recruit people because of the low offered wages.
Pros
Pension scheme. Training oportunities.
Cons
Low salaries
Fun place
PA/Team Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 February 2017
Days can vary depending on your department
I have learnt a variety of skills.
Management at committed and hard working
Hardest part of the job can The most enjoyable can be the variety.
Pros
Being able to take part and be part of an audience
Cons
Long hours and low pay
Great Work Experience
Camera Assistant / Runner / Camera Op (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire27 August 2016
Excellent team, great program an all round a great experience. Long hours but worth it for the experience and great food at lunch and sometimes dinner.
Little gratification for hard work, lack of opportunity
Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  London3 March 2016
The culture and people working for the BBC could not get any better. Sadly this has been let down by management, salary and lack of career progression.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3