BBC Employee Reviews for Journalist

See reviews about:
Inclusive with encouragement
Broadcast Journalist/Freelance Presenter (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire20 February 2018
The scope for self-improvement and expansion is huge, and is also encouraged.

The management pay attention and create opportunities to explore your own skills, as well as giving chances to work alongside others to develop.
Pros
Development opportunities
Cons
Too many sweet treats in the various kitchens!
Production creative workplace
Freelance/Casual Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2018
Enjoyable creative day. The news is different every day. Researching and coming up with ideas for programmes. Finding guests for interview. Writing stories and cues. Producing news bulletins and programmes. Editing audio. Live studio production. Working to tight deadlines under pressure.
Pros
Prestige
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fun workplace
Journalist (Current Employee) –  London15 July 2017
-Productive environment
- Fun workplace and nice colleagues
-Possibility to work on different projects
- Many opportunities for career development
- Many trainings and courses
Exciting and inspiring place to work
Staff Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  London, UK6 February 2017
As a producer at the BBC World Service you experience pretty much everything a journalist can experience. Working both on radio and online, I've had a chance to report, present, produce, write and edit pieces in different formats. During his time, I've learned how fun and fascinating radio can be. I've also learned to work on an online environment, thinking of new formats and new resources.
There I've done the most inspiring and interesting work of my life, covering a range of subjects that included renewable sources of energy, to child labour, carnival in Brazil, and refugees in Somaliland.
The hardest part of the job was to learn so many new skills, but once I've learned them, it also became the most enjoyable part of the job.
Still good place to work but used to be better
Senior Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London29 June 2016
News is high pressure and anti-social hours wherever you work, but the BBC has always done its best to be accomodating and childcare-friendly. This is slipped a bit in the age of austerity, but they remain largely committed to that. Management seems to have become somewhat transient over recent years, as cuts have been implemented and it can be frustrating working with bosses who sometimes seem to be less than motivated, or very self-interested. But that's the same with most big companies. Broadly speaking, the BBC remains a good employer (abiding by Union agreements in the main), and I would recommend working there.
Pros
Not profit driven, listen to Unions
Cons
News hours are long and anti-social, often little thanks for you work
fairly positive
Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  London, ENG9 October 2015
save for the media biases and not so clear standards at times, this is a good professional environment. I would recommend it.
Productive working environment
Freelance Journalist (Current Employee) –  London1 September 2015
It is a big company with very supportive management.

Persoanly grow and develop.

A good place to learn from professionals, especially for entry level.
Pros
supportive management
Cons
Freelancing work
Invaluable Experience and Training
Freelance Sports Journalist (Current Employee) –  Bush House London1 February 2014
I work for the BBC World Service as a freelance Sports journalist in the African Department at Bush House London. I was given very good training including how to make programmes on the radio and how to gather news using their ENPS system. The people I worked with were very helpful and friendly.

Although I have not done any work for them for a while, I have been told that I could submit any mp 3 recordings of players' interviews I am able to obtain in the course of my attending English Premier League football matches.

I learnt that you have to manage your own work and take initiatives.

The hardest part was that the work was not on a regular basis.
Pros
Experience and exposure
Cons
Irregularity of work