BBC Employee Reviews for Journalist

See reviews about:
Inspiring organisation but little opportunity for career advancement
Journalist (Former Employee) –  London27 March 2018
Lovely colleagues and interesting, rewarding work, but too many levels of management and competition for career advancement and promotion are fierce. Job security is also volatile.
Inclusive with encouragement
Broadcast Journalist/Freelance Presenter (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire20 February 2018
The scope for self-improvement and expansion is huge, and is also encouraged.

The management pay attention and create opportunities to explore your own skills, as well as giving chances to work alongside others to develop.
Pros
Development opportunities
Cons
Too many sweet treats in the various kitchens!
Production creative workplace
Freelance/Casual Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2018
Enjoyable creative day. The news is different every day. Researching and coming up with ideas for programmes. Finding guests for interview. Writing stories and cues. Producing news bulletins and programmes. Editing audio. Live studio production. Working to tight deadlines under pressure.
Pros
Prestige
Cons
Long Hours
Great
Intern Journalist (Former Employee) –  York4 December 2017
I went to BBC Radio York for work experience. It was my first one. They sent me out to produce lots of packages for their daytime programmes. They gave me lots of advice, taught me some tips and they were a great to work with.
Productive and fun workplace
Journalist (Current Employee) –  London15 July 2017
-Productive environment
- Fun workplace and nice colleagues
-Possibility to work on different projects
- Many opportunities for career development
- Many trainings and courses
educational and interesting
Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  London, UK19 April 2017
Excellent coverage of world affairs, meeting interesting an important people, working with professional people from whom you can learn new skills, working long but enjoyable hours.
Variety, intense and rewarding
Radio Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  Leicester, UK20 March 2017
It's a fast moving and busy workplace. It is very rewarding and the variety that comes with the work is the best part of the job. It does require enormous flexibility so be prepared to get up at 4am and sometimes work into the early hours or overnight.
Exciting and inspiring place to work
Staff Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  London, UK6 February 2017
As a producer at the BBC World Service you experience pretty much everything a journalist can experience. Working both on radio and online, I've had a chance to report, present, produce, write and edit pieces in different formats. During his time, I've learned how fun and fascinating radio can be. I've also learned to work on an online environment, thinking of new formats and new resources.
There I've done the most inspiring and interesting work of my life, covering a range of subjects that included renewable sources of energy, to child labour, carnival in Brazil, and refugees in Somaliland.
The hardest part of the job was to learn so many new skills, but once I've learned them, it also became the most enjoyable part of the job.
Daily learning experience
Senior journalist, Middle East & Europe (Former Employee) –  Caversham, Reading, Berkshire1 December 2016
My day started with checking the availability of all the TV and radio signals required for our coverage, and alerting the relevant department if there was any problem. I then had to make sure all the translated reports were of high standard before they were sent to our official and commercial customers.
As a senior journalist, one of my daily duties included mentoring the newer recruits and giving them feedback on their work.
The hardest part of the job was looking at images of human suffering and destruction when covering TV reports on the numerous Middle East wars and other conflicts.
What I enjoyed most was learning something new every day, and working with dedicated and professional colleagues. I will always remember the times when our manager used to come around to take our orders for beverages as we were, more often than not, unable to leave our desks when serious developments were unfolding.
Pros
Working for a great British institution
Cons
Missing Sunday lunches with the family when on duty.
Productive and busy environment with the most hardworking people
Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  London, UK5 November 2016
Working at the BBC is a major part of my life and career. I have had the opportunity to write, film and go out on location. The newsroom is a busy environment with the most hardworking & talented people.
Pros
Brand pride
Cons
Long hours, evenings and weekends
Fun workplace
Trainee journalist (Former Employee) –  Norwich Norfolk9 July 2016
*Learned the skills of video news production as practiced in Broadcast TV and online media
*Worked as a team to make a film
Still good place to work but used to be better
Senior Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London29 June 2016
News is high pressure and anti-social hours wherever you work, but the BBC has always done its best to be accomodating and childcare-friendly. This is slipped a bit in the age of austerity, but they remain largely committed to that. Management seems to have become somewhat transient over recent years, as cuts have been implemented and it can be frustrating working with bosses who sometimes seem to be less than motivated, or very self-interested. But that's the same with most big companies. Broadly speaking, the BBC remains a good employer (abiding by Union agreements in the main), and I would recommend working there.
Pros
Not profit driven, listen to Unions
Cons
News hours are long and anti-social, often little thanks for you work
Amazing experience
Digital Journalist (Current Employee) –  Belfast4 May 2016
It is an incredible job that has opened a lot of doors for me. I do a lot of travelling and work with a lot of big names such as Stephen Nolan. The hours are long but I enjoy what I do.
Pros
meeting people and getting my work published on a world renowned website
Cons
the money for the hours I was doing wasnt the best
fairly positive
Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  London, ENG9 October 2015
save for the media biases and not so clear standards at times, this is a good professional environment. I would recommend it.
Productive working environment
Freelance Journalist (Current Employee) –  London1 September 2015
It is a big company with very supportive management.

Persoanly grow and develop.

A good place to learn from professionals, especially for entry level.
Pros
supportive management
Cons
Freelancing work
Invaluable Experience and Training
Freelance Sports Journalist (Current Employee) –  Bush House London1 February 2014
I work for the BBC World Service as a freelance Sports journalist in the African Department at Bush House London. I was given very good training including how to make programmes on the radio and how to gather news using their ENPS system. The people I worked with were very helpful and friendly.

Although I have not done any work for them for a while, I have been told that I could submit any mp 3 recordings of players' interviews I am able to obtain in the course of my attending English Premier League football matches.

I learnt that you have to manage your own work and take initiatives.

The hardest part was that the work was not on a regular basis.
Pros
Experience and exposure
Cons
Irregularity of work
Engaging, fun and varied work
Freelance journalist (Former Employee) –  BBC Radio Manchester, Salford Quays, Media City3 May 2013
Creating topical news items for broadcast, with a team of enthusiastic, intelligent colleagues. Varied experiences in the ever changing world of journalism means days are rarely 'typical', but always fresh and exciting.
Pros
The variety of different subjects covered. Vibrant colleagues.
Cons
Internal politics can sometimes be restrictive.