BBC Employee Reviews in London

Production creative workplace
Freelance/Casual Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2018
Enjoyable creative day. The news is different every day. Researching and coming up with ideas for programmes. Finding guests for interview. Writing stories and cues. Producing news bulletins and programmes. Editing audio. Live studio production. Working to tight deadlines under pressure.
Pros
Prestige
Cons
Long Hours
Multiple posts
News Media Manager / Senior Researcher (Former Employee) –  London and Cambridge24 January 2018
Great organisation to have worked for. Proud to have been an employee for many years, Miss working with a team of dynamic and creative individuals......
Friendly but firm
CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGER - AMERICAS (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 December 2017
The BBC was a great place to work. I diverse mix of cultures and a friendly working togetherness atmosphere. I was in the BBC World Service and it had a slightly different temperament to the domestic arms. We were funded by the Goverment directly and not via the licence payer. Money was strictly controlled and it was unavble to afford the large salaries that has led the BBC open to criticism for the rates of pay of some of its big stars. Thing is though, you have to pay the market rat or they wil go to the competition!
Pros
friendly and rewarding
Cons
tight and unless you are a star, low pay.
Freelance Production Work (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 December 2017
Everything! The people are all super nice and friendly, probably because we are all treated with respect. Really relaxed, family style atmosphere but doesn't stop your ability to work like some places. Great benefits and snacks/drinks provided. Management really take the time to talk to everyone and listen to opinions. Training budget is great and you are encouraged to use it.
Fairly satisfied.
Senior journalist/multimedia producer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 November 2017
A great place to work. Learning and sharing thoughts and ideas with journalists and others from various parts of the world. Learnt new skills in programme production and publishing. Had the opportunity of understanding diverse cultures and enjoyed food from around the globe. A typical day would start with the editorial meeting within ourselves and on a regional to basis to discuss the news agenda of the day and then the production of the programme and subsequently putting it on Air. Post-broadcast, analyse the programme and discuss the next day's planning. The work culture basically centered around sharing thoughts and ideas, learning from each other, professionally arguing on editorial issues and occasionally going for a pint. The hardest part of the job was the challenges in getting the news quickly, correctly and putting it out immediately on air and publishing it and time management. The enjoyable part is the satisfaction of successful broadcast and seeing our story in print and the positive response to programmes and the appreciations.
Pros
Gaining knowledge on international affairs and news prodcution
Cons
Nothing in particular
Productive and Fun workplace
News Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 October 2017
Opportunities to go on internal courses and interaction with different departments. Positive atmosphere. Approachable management. Good amenities. Good staff benefits and discounts.
Typical internship
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London25 October 2017
Typical internship; large company so there isn't much work or responsibility to go around. Most people are generally nice but since you're not here for long it was hard to get involved in any projects
Media and Presentation Planner (Current Employee) –  London22 October 2017
Good place to work.

Have worked at the BBC for 10 years now. Have learned a lot and have made a lot of contacts both internally and externally.

No negative feedback.
2 Week Work Experience
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  London16 October 2017
A typical day at work would be going to the BBC centre in white city and taking the daily tasks from my line manager. We would also occasionally visit other departments of the BBC around London
Very creative environment
Senior Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  London13 October 2017
Whilst te BBC has seen many changes over the years, it remains an iconic organisation to work for.
Its creativity and output is still second to none and the people are welcoming (as they want to work there...)
Pros
Qudos
Cons
Geographic locations
A Slog
Runner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 September 2017
It was very hard work, long hours, little respect given and an air of arrogance from everyone who actually worked there. But it was good experience for me considering I was young and it was my first in field job.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Long Hours
Changing the culture of the BBC
Head of Media Management (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 September 2017
This was a challenging but rewarding place to work. Great offices and really interesting environment in. The BBC is going through enormous changes and the ability to be open to required changes is essential for anyone seeing to work with the BBC.
Pros
Great offices, subsidised food and drink
Cons
Business politics
Enjoyed my time
runner (Former Employee) –  london23 August 2017
Enjoyed my time work BBC productions and thought they were run very well by committed and hard-working individuals. Would love to work for them again or more factual based TV shows
fun working
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2017
it was a very rewarding place to work, always something different going on from early morning events to live shows with the complex, different people.
Pros
I enjoyed the culture
Broadcast Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 August 2017
Worked in different platforms which gave me the opportunity to learn new things and open to learn and able to work under pressure. BBC helps you to improve your skills.
Pros
you have rights
Cons
Arabic department is a total mess
BBC Bitesize
Model (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 July 2017
amazing people and an amazing experience I would recommend anyone apply for a job with the bbc its really interesting and I really enjoyed it there although some people may have to travel quite a journey to the studios.
Productive and fun workplace
Journalist (Current Employee) –  London15 July 2017
-Productive environment
- Fun workplace and nice colleagues
-Possibility to work on different projects
- Many opportunities for career development
- Many trainings and courses
First Steps in FM
Facilities Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 July 2017
This position introduced me to the field of FM and showed me my new career path, which I have been in for the last 17 years. It was an exciting and formative role that opened the door to FM for me.
Great opportunity for young people
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 July 2017
Very friendly staff, were always happy to let interns engage with activity and always gave fait and helpful advice. They were carefully organised and sought to involve the interns as much as possible.
Absolutely love working for BBC News but no job security for freelance and money not great
Freelance Cameraman (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2017
Shooting and editing news for the BBC sure beats working for a living - which I've done as well and it sucks. The real downside is I'm freelance so zero job security and the pay hasn't really increased in the last 15 years. Also if you take a job it is really hard to get career progression because nobody leaves and you have to wait for the old gits to drop dead on air before they make way for the hundreds of people waiting for a job to open.

Overall it's a brilliant way to earn a crust.
Pros
Varied and creative work
Cons
Little chance for career progression