BBC Employee Reviews in Cardiff

Bbc
runner (Former Employee) –  cardiff28 August 2018
Great company to work for. This was a work experience placement in which I worked as a Runner. The staff were friendly and easy to get on with. I enjoyed my time there and have no negatives views about the place.
Pros
Gaining experience
Freelancer
Executive Producer and Production Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 May 2018
Use and burn culture unless you have a personal connection.
Typical production when on set but with layers of bureaucracy in the office. Weirdly little respect for the creative process - lack of creative inspiration amongst commissioners.
Pros
Name for the c.v.? Money is OK but the hours are long for a fixed fee
Cons
Lack of respect owing to hierarchical structure - unless you are on the inside track of course
Used to be a great place to work
Content Producer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff6 March 2018
During the years I was at the BBC I learned a huge amount - from writing to filming and directing and running 360 campaigns across a variety of platforms. I was lucky enough to have worked across a wide range of genres in the time I was there. Like many companies there are too many managers and not enough creative/ content types who are now leaving to work in the freelance industry that awaits. Cuts and a lack of vision centrally are leading to the corporation's demise.
Pros
Amazing people, exciting projects, great place to work
Cons
No job security, difficult to progress, low salaries
Hard working fun Workplace
Runner (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff11 January 2018
Days on the production of Crimewatch were never quiet and it was a great job to learn new things and work on new equipment.
Everyone was very friendly and all work hard to crate the best production possible.

I was never unhappy going into the workplace at the BBC.
Educational experience
Facilities Management/Engineering Team (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff4 January 2018
Well looked after with regards to training and enjoyed my job and the people there, there was lots to do there but all the work was exciting as you can imagine because it was mostly TV related
Pros
free carpark
Cons
stressful work
Inclusive and inforamtive workplace
Supporting Artist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff8 December 2017
In the nature of my role at the company, participating as a supporting role could be considered tedious, however the management were excellent at making sure my co workers and I felt that our roles meant something.
Productive and fun place to work.
RUNNER (Former Employee) –  Cardiff15 November 2017
A great opportunity to work with some really talented crew, on amazing programmes in some beautiful locations. Working with contributors from all backgrounds is really interesting.
Great fun and no two days the same
Supporting Artist (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff11 August 2017
A typical day's work would begin around 06:30 and sometimes would go on as late as 11pm. There would be lots of downtime awaiting between shoots but this would be filled with conversations with other extras and sometimes leading characters.

Every day would be different and some of the costumes we would have to wear were jaw-dropping into their intricacy. I made some great friends on-set and still do the occasional bit of acting if required.
Pros
Great fun and very interesting people
Cons
No job security and infrequent acting opportunities
Treated well
ACTING - Various acting roles (Former Employee) –  Cardiff20 July 2017
Worked as a guest star role on Casualty. Was treated very well and given accommodation and food in Cardiff while filming. Great level of communication and was regularly and punctually picked up for work.
Demanding but Rewarding
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff30 December 2016
All of my work has been freelance so job security is not ideal. It's a challenging and rewarding place to work, but the hours can be too long.
Fast paced, productive environment
Radio Broadcast Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Cardiff19 July 2016
Worked as an intern so don't that I could give a review that perfectly represents the company, although my time there as an intern was would I highly recommend to anyone looking to take a step into the Radio Broadcast environment.
great place to work.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Cardiff26 November 2015
i enjoy working in this work place due to great management always there if you need any help, great to have!

i developed a lot working in this place being young its great to have worked in this work place to develop my communication skills and to be more professional on the job an to help others.
Pros
nice grub in canteen/great mangerment.
Cons
Very good place to work.
TV Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS3 October 2015
Time moves on and colleagues have either retired or died, and a new generation of "bright young things" have replaced the "old hands"! Thirty eight years is a long time! I have not been on the staff for four to five years, so I cannot comment on staff morale at this time
Pros
Extensive travel as part of a team.
Cons
Very long and anti-social hours.
Multi-Media Promotions Director (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS21 July 2015
I'm really proud to work for the BBC.

My day-to-day job's very varied - there isn't a 'typical day'! Depending on the campaigns I'm working on, I could be scripting a news promo, editing a drama promo and brainstorming a sports promo in the space of a few hours.

There's a good sense of teamwork in my department. Everyone's happy to help each other.

In the current climate, it's just tricky to know where you stand in terms of job security.
Pros
Teamwork, pride in company
Cons
Ever-increasing paperwork, job insecurity
Appliance Technician (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS29 July 2014
The BBC is a good place to work, you are given an adiquate amount of time to complete your tasks. You are supported throughout your task and any difficulties you may have are overcome very easily.
SA (TV Extra)
Supporting Artist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS8 June 2014
My position as a supporting Artist has allowed me to appear on television shows such as Pobol Y Cwm and Casualty.

The days were usually long and did involve some travelling.

I learned to take direction, and most importantly to be patient, as sometimes you were not need for most of the recording period.

The other on screen staff and directors were usually very nice.

The hardest part of the job was the long days, as you were never certain when the day would be over.

The most enjoyable part was actually filming, as this is a great hobby of mine.
Working in the Finance Role
Finance administrator (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS20 May 2014
Raising cheques, payment of invoices, working well within the team and on my own initiative, Also assisting in the Cash Office which involved dealing with staff and outside people. The hardest part was to balance the ledgers each night. I enjoyed all of my role I left to have my son
Pros
Working within the BBC Environment
Cons
No cons
Always a variety of things to do, never the same day twice
FREELANCE SUPPORT ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS15 May 2014
Having been at BBC Cardiff for 8 months , I found it an interesting and diverse place to work. With two Studios (one live) and plenty of edit suites and technical areas , there was always a problem to be sorted.
The staff were always very friendly and helpful, especially being Freelancer as you dont' know your way around to start with.
I worked at both sites (Broadcasting House and Roath Lock) so I experienced plenty of different engineering scenarios.
World's largest international broadcaster
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Wales27 November 2013
Understand the different aspects within the broadcasting environment:
- Software development
- News edit systems
- Scheduling and presentation
- MCR (Master Control Room)
- Radio studios and operations