BBC Employee Reviews

Used to be a great place to work
Content Producer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff6 March 2018
During the years I was at the BBC I learned a huge amount - from writing to filming and directing and running 360 campaigns across a variety of platforms. I was lucky enough to have worked across a wide range of genres in the time I was there. Like many companies there are too many managers and not enough creative/ content types who are now leaving to work in the freelance industry that awaits. Cuts and a lack of vision centrally are leading to the corporation's demise.
Pros
Amazing people, exciting projects, great place to work
Cons
No job security, difficult to progress, low salaries
BBC Supporting Actress
Actor - Acting for feature film, ITV Vera (Former Employee) –  North East21 February 2018
Seemed unorganized and not a 100% professional. Moral was unenthusiastic.

I had to buy my own water and shooting out in the cold for many hours in winter time was painful. They didnt have cups to provide for a hot cup of tea.
Pros
nice food, good pay
Cons
long time waiting around, freezing cold, unorginsed.
Inclusive with encouragement
Broadcast Journalist/Freelance Presenter (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire20 February 2018
The scope for self-improvement and expansion is huge, and is also encouraged.

The management pay attention and create opportunities to explore your own skills, as well as giving chances to work alongside others to develop.
Pros
Development opportunities
Cons
Too many sweet treats in the various kitchens!
Wonderful company
Digital Analyst (Former Employee) –  London1 February 2018
Amazing staff with supportive, colegiate attitude. Roles are clearly defined and well managed. Great opportunities to learn and grow (secondment schemes are fantastic). HR are supportive and professional. A sense of working towards a common good prevades.
Production creative workplace
Freelance/Casual Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2018
Enjoyable creative day. The news is different every day. Researching and coming up with ideas for programmes. Finding guests for interview. Writing stories and cues. Producing news bulletins and programmes. Editing audio. Live studio production. Working to tight deadlines under pressure.
Pros
Prestige
Cons
Long Hours
Multiple posts
News Media Manager / Senior Researcher (Former Employee) –  London and Cambridge24 January 2018
Great organisation to have worked for. Proud to have been an employee for many years, Miss working with a team of dynamic and creative individuals......
Intersting and enjoyable
Chaperone (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 January 2018
The job did require long working hours, and depending on which production I worked on, I met a variety of people and travelled to a Iot of places I perhaps wouldn't have without the opportunities within the job.
Most of my time within the job I was working with my son, who is a child actor, so it was good to share the experience with him.
It is a job where you work as a team but due to usually long production processes, the team become more like family.
Friendly but firm
CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGER - AMERICAS (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 December 2017
The BBC was a great place to work. I diverse mix of cultures and a friendly working togetherness atmosphere. I was in the BBC World Service and it had a slightly different temperament to the domestic arms. We were funded by the Goverment directly and not via the licence payer. Money was strictly controlled and it was unavble to afford the large salaries that has led the BBC open to criticism for the rates of pay of some of its big stars. Thing is though, you have to pay the market rat or they wil go to the competition!
Pros
friendly and rewarding
Cons
tight and unless you are a star, low pay.
easy to work
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, UK30 December 2017
This place ,we did not face to any customer ,it mean our shift was after office time and before time so never have had stress and hesitate while working ,In the circumstances,free of pressure to work mentally and physically.
Pros
free drink either hot or cold
Inclusive and inforamtive workplace
Supporting Artist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff8 December 2017
In the nature of my role at the company, participating as a supporting role could be considered tedious, however the management were excellent at making sure my co workers and I felt that our roles meant something.
Freelance Production Work (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 December 2017
Everything! The people are all super nice and friendly, probably because we are all treated with respect. Really relaxed, family style atmosphere but doesn't stop your ability to work like some places. Great benefits and snacks/drinks provided. Management really take the time to talk to everyone and listen to opinions. Training budget is great and you are encouraged to use it.
Fun and exciting
Composer (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 November 2017
I had a great time composing music for the BBC doc "The Forest".
It gave me the chance to showcase my musical and composition abilities.
It also challenged me to write for a different cause.
Buzzing environment
HR Administrator/Interim HR Lead Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 November 2017
Definitely a place which is loud and always buzzing. Every day is different from the next and you never know what to expect which makes working for the BBC exciting
Productive and fun place to work.
RUNNER (Former Employee) –  Cardiff15 November 2017
A great opportunity to work with some really talented crew, on amazing programmes in some beautiful locations. Working with contributors from all backgrounds is really interesting.
A brilliant establishment for learning more on a corporate workforce
Temp Employment/Agency (Former Employee) –  Salford8 November 2017
There were 2 sides of the role, depending on what side of the doors you were on.
I leant many more skills on formal greetings and behaviour in which I can now carry with me to adapt in future corporate roles.
Fairly satisfied.
Senior journalist/multimedia producer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 November 2017
A great place to work. Learning and sharing thoughts and ideas with journalists and others from various parts of the world. Learnt new skills in programme production and publishing. Had the opportunity of understanding diverse cultures and enjoyed food from around the globe. A typical day would start with the editorial meeting within ourselves and on a regional to basis to discuss the news agenda of the day and then the production of the programme and subsequently putting it on Air. Post-broadcast, analyse the programme and discuss the next day's planning. The work culture basically centered around sharing thoughts and ideas, learning from each other, professionally arguing on editorial issues and occasionally going for a pint. The hardest part of the job was the challenges in getting the news quickly, correctly and putting it out immediately on air and publishing it and time management. The enjoyable part is the satisfaction of successful broadcast and seeing our story in print and the positive response to programmes and the appreciations.
Pros
Gaining knowledge on international affairs and news prodcution
Cons
Nothing in particular
Odd place and way of working
Production (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester6 November 2017
It's a very odd place to work. I freelanced in Children's for a while and was a bit taken aback by the place. The project was enjoyable, however there was a strange sense of apathy / fear that I sensed from colleagues who worked there who were staff members.

Chatting with them during my time, I gathered opportunities for promotion and development seemed to be almost non existent and it made them feel they were either not very good at their job or they weren't worthy. All very odd, especially as they seemed over qualified. It was almost as if the company was holding them back.

There was also a tonne of red tape which makes getting the job done a lot more difficult. They have a department for almost anything, and you are required to liaise or obtain sign off from these departments continually rather than trusting you to complete the project.

OK place to work, but only for the odd project now and again.
Exciting and rewarding
Assistant Liaison Officer (Transport) (Former Employee) –  Elstree Studios, Borehamwood. Hertfordshire6 November 2017
I worked as assistant Liaison transport officer charged with the transportation of media and entertainment personnel across the length and breadth of the UK., providing safe delivery of individuals to their various destinations without any hitch. I sat on the committee to find ways of protecting the privacy of clients from the prying eyes of 'paparazzi' who were fast becoming a menace to actors and entertainment industry generally. The sensitive nature of the job notwithstanding, I was constantly under pressure to maintain confidentiality of high-level clients. As a team player I contributed to the sustenance of the company's contract with BBC for a long time.
Pros
I have the opportunity to interact with and learn from talented people
Cons
Long hours. Constant pressure
Enriching knowledge job
Translator (Former Employee) –  Home Based6 November 2017
I learned to montage videos and short movies, to work fast but carefully in the same time, to organise my all day so I can handle all the tasks, to submit my jobs in time. I have enrich my knowledge in History and I learned really interesting historical facts about the British history.
Productive and Fun workplace
News Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 October 2017
Opportunities to go on internal courses and interaction with different departments. Positive atmosphere. Approachable management. Good amenities. Good staff benefits and discounts.