BBC Employee Reviews

Great place to work with no two days being the same
Corporate Business Continuity Lead (Former Employee) –  London30 December 2018
This is a great place to work and if you are motivated you can try anything that you want, moving within the company is an asset and should be used to further your career.
Pros
Some great people to work with
Cons
Long Hours, Shortage of staff in international management, too much central control
Nice lifestyle, limited opportunities, lots of politics
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 October 2018
Nice culture, and lots of smart people who are all trying to do the right thing.
At times projects get bogged down in politics, with some senior managers more concerned with protecting their licence-fee funded salaries.
Pros
Intelligent people, it's the BBC, good work-life balance
Cons
Politics amongst senior managers
Lovely people but poor culture
Head of Business Management (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 November 2018
Great job for work life balance but the management and internal policies stifle both innovation and staff progression.

The BBC's leadership are hampered by their lack of diversity in making the required fundamental shifts needed to stay relevant in the changing UK media landscape
Overall good but could be better
Executive Assistant & Business Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London12 October 2018
Overall a nice place to work; good work/life balance however management could be improved. Sometimes lack of support.

Pro's - lots of events & shows going on around the building.
Con's - lots of red tape
Pros
Shows, events and work/life balance
Cons
Not many benefits, lots of red tape
Fun!
Radio Presenter (Current Employee) –  Leeds18 October 2018
Fun day at work, come in and work with producers to ensure our Radio show is sharp. Include lots of information about online content. Management is great and they help and develop you to your best potential.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work collaboratively.
Pros
Flexible with recording the show
Excellent management
HUMAN RESOURCES ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  London29 October 2018
My managers were encouraging and cohesive in the workplace. We had daily meetings at the start of the day to ensure we worked to deadlines and under a great deal of pressure. Also, once a week we would spend time debriefing and celebrating our targets that were met.
Brilliant public sector employer
Senior Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  London21 July 2018
Would still be there today if we hadn't been outsourced!

Worked in a professional but relaxed environment where line manager was excellent at acting as an interface between higher management and staff. Great man-management.

Corporate philosophy changed, such that IT for HR systems was deemed worthy of outsourcing. Great shame for the workers and the business.
Outstanding
HR Admin (Current Employee) –  Birmingham20 August 2018
Working for the BBC is great. The staff is very helpful and make you feel very welcome. The management and work team ethic is something I like and am proud to be a part of. The most enjoyable part of this job is being involved in the hustle and bustle of a typical day at the BBC and meeting people from all walks of life.
Pros
Friendly colleagues.
Great working on location
INSIDERS - DiR (Former Employee) –  Felixstowe, Suffolk10 July 2018
This was a 6 month shoot followed by some post production work.
Very varied - long hours but very rewarding. We were on location when filming and the ob continued into post production. I dealt with contracts for visiting artists, daily production schedules, visiting shooting location to liaising with my boss, the Director and every day was slightly different. Early starts and long days but I enjoyed it very much.
Pros
Great mix of people
Cons
Early starts!
Depends who you work with.
Digital Media (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2018
Some teams place personality is placed above skill and ability. While some people are totally brilliant, others are not so good you will be superseded very quickly by those that are very good at coasting on others ideas and efforts and making sure they are being seen.

A very fixed mindset from the people who claim to be creative.
Pros
Very talented product teams to work with and learn from.
Cons
Some team managers have a fixed mindset.
Not worth your time
Freelance Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London13 November 2018
A terrible place to work populated by incompetent middle class people from the South East of England being paid to do very little. I've found it to be sexist, racist, classist and utterly dull.
Pros
Cons
Plenty
Difficult but I'm always up for a challenge
Script Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow4 September 2018
Carried out timely research to understand the viewer's media consumption pattern, preferences and requirement and subsequently assisted writers in preparing the right script to match the consumer demands.
Checked existing storylines for accuracy.
Prepared clear and concise reports of findings which met the requirements of the script and story needs.
Researched alternative approaches to stories providing accurate and detailed supporting material.
Interviewed aspiring writers and assisted in data collection.
Researched emerging trends amongst younger generation and their comedy preferences.
Read scripts and raised issues pertaining to research or credibility.
Worked closely with the production and design teams to ensure a consistent line of research from script research to what is seen on screen.
Undertook all necessary administrative tasks and maintained comprehensive reference systems.
Productive and teaching orientation company
Videographer and video editor (Current Employee) –  Norwich10 November 2018
Every day at work is different and full of fun with my workmates. Every day I learn different new things and use them in practice.
Workmates are friendly and helpful.
Productive work place
Facilities Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 January 2019
This job is very fast paced and requires you to think ahead. I have learnt what facilities management is and what is required of a facilities manager.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Salary
Fantastic organisation but sadly in decline
BBC News (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 June 2018
If you get to work in the right department, you will work hard but enjoy a fantastic workplace working with professional and varied individuals. Sad inditement of the times we live in but the constant need to make savings is stifling creativity and depending on where you work it does seem like an organisation in decline.
Pros
good selection of non-financial benefits
Cons
like for like salary compared to commercial on the low side
Fascinating work experience
BBC Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire10 July 2018
I remember being hugely captivated by the experience of getting involved, first hand, with the media world. It really changed my outlook for my career, and made me realise that the creative and entertainment industries are something in which I have the potential to really thrive.
Amazing while it lasts
Statistician (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 September 2018
Heavy turnover and very minimal communication from higher ups.

Amazing experience to work on Match of the Day but found out about companies plans to move through the media not the management.
Pros
Amazing job
Cons
Pay
Nice Environment
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester10 January 2019
Friendly place to work. Difficult to move internally into different areas of the business. Great office - generally people proud to work at such a well know institution
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester2 October 2018
BBC is a great place to nurture your career and be open and honest in a working environment. It also offers great work life balance and gives you opportunities to expand your career
Bbc
runner (Former Employee) –  cardiff28 August 2018
Great company to work for. This was a work experience placement in which I worked as a Runner. The staff were friendly and easy to get on with. I enjoyed my time there and have no negatives views about the place.
Pros
Gaining experience
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3