BBC Employee Reviews

Creative stifled by poor management
Series Producer (Former Employee) –  London6 June 2018
Once one of the great companies of the world now struggling to compete in the global market. Very creative people let down by an over complicated management culture.
Good experience!
Steward (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol5 June 2018
I worked on Antiques Roadshow for some work experience and enjoyed every bit of it. Yes it was for free. Yes the hours were long and yes at some points it was stressful and busy. BUT! What do you expect when working in this industry.
Pros
Free lunches, good communication
good experience
Artist Liaison (Former Employee) –  Swansea4 June 2018
had a really fun time working for the bbc. They are a great company and their outreach programme is great. I am glad I got the opportunity to work for them
BBC Review
Broadcast Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 June 2018
A typical day is learning about the organisation and liaising with staff. Paperwork, upload data, camera work. Broadcast journalism Hardest part of the job was producing journalistic work to show to team.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Limited help
Fantastic organisation but sadly in decline
BBC News (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 June 2018
If you get to work in the right department, you will work hard but enjoy a fantastic workplace working with professional and varied individuals. Sad inditement of the times we live in but the constant need to make savings is stifling creativity and depending on where you work it does seem like an organisation in decline.
Pros
good selection of non-financial benefits
Cons
like for like salary compared to commercial on the low side
news world and detail accuracy
Persian Freelancer (Current Employee) –  London W1A28 May 2018
BBC is a great place to work. Positive attitude is always there. Apart from much detail and accurate work which might be difficult for some people, everything is amazing. Some shifts are not matching parenthood easily but it worth to work for if career is the impotant.
Great fun to work at a major British institute
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London21 May 2018
Great building great people, but very P.C. It is what you expect, there are friendly people but also very bland and very P.C. Lacks a certain je ne ce quoi.
Fantastic
Flautist (Former Employee) –  Manchester21 May 2018
Loved working for the BBC with a range of musicians to deliver a fantastic advertisment

Highly educational and engaging

A truly wonderful experience
Bbc
Projects (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 May 2018
A good company to work for, interesting and a good work/life balance.

Have offices up and down the country and there is scope for movement between roles.
great place to work
Senior Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  London12 May 2018
This is a well respected company with a very strong people culture at its heart. People care passionately about their jobs and take a pride in what they do.
fun workplace
Actress (Former Employee) –  Wales3 May 2018
i thoroughly enjoyed myself at the workplace. Everyone was friendly. It was my first job as a paid Actress. Acting is what I Have always wanted to do.
extra work
extra (Former Employee) –  Bristol22 April 2018
this work refers to a one time job that was in Bristol it was a 12 hour day and was thoroughly enjoyable plus had tea and coffees included for the day although i believe each extras work can be very different.
Excellent experience
Art Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 April 2018
Learnt so much from the team I worked with during my unpaid work experience over the summer.
Hands on experience, felt fully involved in the project, my work and opinion was valued.
Productive and Fun
Picture Editor (Current Employee) –  W1A 1AA20 April 2018
I love working on what I work and love video editing. Because I am working on the music program and it is interesting to find such ad talented people who are not been seen by the
Pros
Unpaid lunch break
Cons
nothing
Productive and enjoyable
Human Resources Advisor (Former Employee) –  white city28 March 2018
I really enjoyed this job as it was really organised by the management. I was left to carry out tasks set by management as well being part of a team.The people and the work environment was nice and pleasant.
Pros
good management
Cons
temporary
Used to be a great place to work
Content Producer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff6 March 2018
During the years I was at the BBC I learned a huge amount - from writing to filming and directing and running 360 campaigns across a variety of platforms. I was lucky enough to have worked across a wide range of genres in the time I was there. Like many companies there are too many managers and not enough creative/ content types who are now leaving to work in the freelance industry that awaits. Cuts and a lack of vision centrally are leading to the corporation's demise.
Pros
Amazing people, exciting projects, great place to work
Cons
No job security, difficult to progress, low salaries
BBC Supporting Actress
Actor - Acting for feature film, ITV Vera (Former Employee) –  North East21 February 2018
Seemed unorganized and not a 100% professional. Moral was unenthusiastic.

I had to buy my own water and shooting out in the cold for many hours in winter time was painful. They didnt have cups to provide for a hot cup of tea.
Pros
nice food, good pay
Cons
long time waiting around, freezing cold, unorginsed.
Inclusive with encouragement
Broadcast Journalist/Freelance Presenter (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire20 February 2018
The scope for self-improvement and expansion is huge, and is also encouraged.

The management pay attention and create opportunities to explore your own skills, as well as giving chances to work alongside others to develop.
Pros
Development opportunities
Cons
Too many sweet treats in the various kitchens!
Wonderful company
Digital Analyst (Former Employee) –  London1 February 2018
Amazing staff with supportive, colegiate attitude. Roles are clearly defined and well managed. Great opportunities to learn and grow (secondment schemes are fantastic). HR are supportive and professional. A sense of working towards a common good prevades.
Production creative workplace
Freelance/Casual Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2018
Enjoyable creative day. The news is different every day. Researching and coming up with ideas for programmes. Finding guests for interview. Writing stories and cues. Producing news bulletins and programmes. Editing audio. Live studio production. Working to tight deadlines under pressure.
Pros
Prestige
Cons
Long Hours