BBC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom448 reviews
Freelance position
Perfect for short term contracts and also for learning a wide variety of skills whilst working with a large number of people with different skill sets & experiences.
Very poor to work for
Have worked for the BBC on 4 occasions in past 20 years mostly contracting. Last role for BBC news where there is poor management, too much stress and low pay.
Pros
BBC is s good organization.
Cons
Low pay, poor line management. Too many managers.
Productive and fun experince
As part of my work experince, I got to experience many different aspect of the running of a regional radio station. I was given a lot of responsibility but also a lot of support and guidence which made for a very enjoyable experience.
Fun and supportive
A typical day would start at 7:30am and finish at 6:30pm. The day would fly by, because work did not feel like work. I throughly loved my job. I gained so much experience and took every opportunity i could to try and learn something new. Crew and production staff made my job easier than it was with so much support and encouragement. The highlight of my job was able to share the set with amazing talented actors.
Pros
Meet a variety of people from every walk of life
Productive and fun workplace
Working 8 hour shift. Sometimes weekend work. Greeting visitors, processing quick security check and guiding them to their meeting or programme.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult visitors who refused to show a form of identification and the occasional lightly mentally disturbed visitors. Being patient and remaining professional at all times is required.

The good thing is you work with people from very diverse backgrounds and countries and get to learn a lot about their culture. And you get to see the occasional celebrity and mini concerts in the piazza.
Stressful
I worked for a 2 months some years ago at TV Centre. It was a dreadful experience and subsequent to that I have not wished to return in any form. I do not mind working outside of the BBC's buildings, the culture at BBC is untennable.
Exciting workplace
I have worked here for almost 2 years and loved every second. Every time you're at work your creativity is challenged in a positive way, and I love how fast-paced everything is.
Supportive place to work
Great place to work, encourage career development and offer in house courses.
Fast paced environment which is challenging but rewarding to work within
Fulfulling
My review is actually only based on working for them for 2 days on a national tour. The actual job was great, meeting members of the public who were eager to find out about wartime relations.
Enjoyed making programmes and contributing to TV and radio
Enjoyed making programmes and contributing to TV and radio on part-time basis; offering professional skills - especially in the fields of Religion and Ethics.
Assistant Director
Great place to work as a more secure job in the Television Industry, management were very supportive and helped me to advance in my career along the Assistant Director route.
Amazing Opportunities to Learn
You will remain very current with what's hot in the Software Engineering Field. Lots of collaberation and extremely flexible and relaxed atmosphere to grow your skills.
Pros
Cons
Too many meetings + Pair working is a bit forced
Excellent place of work
The BBC is a wonderful place to work. Opportunities are endless and they are committed to maintaining the highest standards in everything they do. I can't think of a better place to work.
Limited career advancement
A good place to work despite the bureaucracy. The majority of staff are nice but some form tight cliques so it is harder to move up as someone is most likely earmarked for the role, so its best to leave and come back to the company. I have worked on some really interesting programmes and the work/life balance is great.
Pros
Interesting programmes
Cons
Unstable length of contracts
Challenging and Exciting
Not for the faint hearted, and demands giving your all to get ahead. Some nice colleagues emerge from the woodwork eventually. A dog eat dog environment.
Rigid management
Management is made up of mostly people who have worked there over 39 years. They will not like any changes or suggestions to alter some process to catch up with this generation
Amazing and respectful place to work at
The BBC is the type of company that integrates every person of every background and that is what I most love about the company. I could wear my piercings, have my hair out and feel free to be me.
Good or bad, hit and miss!
You could have a great experience working for BBC Studios or a not so great one. It really depends on the area and manager and funding for your project/department.
To speak in general terms, this is the BBC's commercial arm and as such is now driven by commercial values as opposed to public service ones. However, the BBC values are still supposedly upheld, at least in programme making. Budgets are tight and staff work above and beyond in general, for lower than market rates. Having said that, you get to have BBC on your CV.
Very good place to work
Lovely place to work everyone is so nice and you are treated like family . The cleaners are very good at their job . You can go to anyone there for help if you need to . They all work as a team at the bbc in whatever job you do there .
Best people to work alongside
With so many departments and areas within the BBC, there are plenty of opportunities to move around, and build different skills. But with lots of contract work and not many permanent staff roles given out, it can be hard to get permanent work here at levels lower then producer. The best thing about working at a place like this, is the staff you will work alongside.
Working for the BBC was a great experience.
Learn a lot, make great networks, great colleagues, nice club. Opened doors. Only contracts were short term and not what I needed at the time. Also broadcast technology and the media changed very rapidly.