BBC Employee Reviews

Stimulating work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Norwich19 October 2018
Fast paced work environment where there were numerous opportunities to be challenged and learn. One has to be proactive in order to get the best opportunities.
Fun!
Radio Presenter (Current Employee) –  Leeds18 October 2018
Fun day at work, come in and work with producers to ensure our Radio show is sharp. Include lots of information about online content. Management is great and they help and develop you to your best potential.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work collaboratively.
Pros
Flexible with recording the show
Overall good but could be better
Executive Assistant & Business Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London12 October 2018
Overall a nice place to work; good work/life balance however management could be improved. Sometimes lack of support.

Pro's - lots of events & shows going on around the building.
Con's - lots of red tape
Pros
Shows, events and work/life balance
Cons
Not many benefits, lots of red tape
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester2 October 2018
BBC is a great place to nurture your career and be open and honest in a working environment. It also offers great work life balance and gives you opportunities to expand your career
Amazing while it lasts
Statistician (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 September 2018
Heavy turnover and very minimal communication from higher ups.

Amazing experience to work on Match of the Day but found out about companies plans to move through the media not the management.
Pros
Amazing job
Cons
Pay
Review
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Bristol12 September 2018
Is really hard to say. I did not work there for long time and I think my opinion is not valuable. I have good experience. Be prepared for hard work with good team.
Production and fun
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 September 2018
Very fun place to work as you communicate with all different people. everyone is kind and willing to help. Good transport links to the building and very easy to get to.
Great
Chef (Former Employee) –  Kitchen7 September 2018
I enjoyed working here as a chef, I worked overnight and throughout the morning. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home as well as getting paid!
Difficult but I'm always up for a challenge
Script Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow4 September 2018
Carried out timely research to understand the viewer's media consumption pattern, preferences and requirement and subsequently assisted writers in preparing the right script to match the consumer demands.
Checked existing storylines for accuracy.
Prepared clear and concise reports of findings which met the requirements of the script and story needs.
Researched alternative approaches to stories providing accurate and detailed supporting material.
Interviewed aspiring writers and assisted in data collection.
Researched emerging trends amongst younger generation and their comedy preferences.
Read scripts and raised issues pertaining to research or credibility.
Worked closely with the production and design teams to ensure a consistent line of research from script research to what is seen on screen.
Undertook all necessary administrative tasks and maintained comprehensive reference systems.
Bbc
runner (Former Employee) –  cardiff28 August 2018
Great company to work for. This was a work experience placement in which I worked as a Runner. The staff were friendly and easy to get on with. I enjoyed my time there and have no negatives views about the place.
Pros
Gaining experience
Outstanding
HR Admin (Current Employee) –  Birmingham20 August 2018
Working for the BBC is great. The staff is very helpful and make you feel very welcome. The management and work team ethic is something I like and am proud to be a part of. The most enjoyable part of this job is being involved in the hustle and bustle of a typical day at the BBC and meeting people from all walks of life.
Pros
Friendly colleagues.
Productive, engaging workplace
Production Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow1 August 2018
Working a year at the BBC straight after finishing my A levels for me was probably the best opportunity for someone wanting to get into the media industry at entry level.

I didn't feel university was for me and wasn't willing to risk 3 years of my life and 50K in debt to test the university's claims of providing students with practical filming experience and an open door into already established media networks, and so I chose to try something more realistic to the working world.

This apprenticeship offered and gave me a lot more than I could've ever realized as it didn't just help me to grow 'professional skills' but helped grow my character, it helped show me what I liked doing and what I didn't like. It provided me with an insight into my own behavior and how this would need to change to thrive in the real world.

But most importantly, this job gave me a real taste of life, I got to complete work that had purpose outside the realm of 'I have to do this otherwise I'll get bad grades leading to a bad life'. It also showed me how life would be after school such as having to apply for jobs which became a very real concern day to day lest you be unemployed. I believe being thrust from school skipping uni and going straight to work almost acted as a fast track into
Pros
Great Benefits and Opportunities
Cons
Lacks diversity - age, race and cultural diversity
Poisonous culture
Producer (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester1 August 2018
A thoroughly unpleasant place to work, with micro managers at every turn. Employees often don't realise how awful it is until they leave. The rest of the BBC is a wonderful place to work, which only throws Learning into darker shade.
Professional and Cutting Edge
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 July 2018
The BBC was a professional environment to work in and uses the top staff coupled with cutting edge apparatus and working practises to deliver a best in class product to licence fee paying customers.
The bbc
Production Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 July 2018
The BBC sets the bar for public broadcasting, its endeavour to educate inform and entertain is clear in the work the company produces and in its treatment of its staff. It was a privilege to work there.
Brilliant public sector employer
Senior Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  London21 July 2018
Would still be there today if we hadn't been outsourced!

Worked in a professional but relaxed environment where line manager was excellent at acting as an interface between higher management and staff. Great man-management.

Corporate philosophy changed, such that IT for HR systems was deemed worthy of outsourcing. Great shame for the workers and the business.
flog it
runner (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire20 July 2018
Was a good day on their valuation day. Learnt lots and hope to gain more from them in future. I only shadowed and was not able to get hands on with professional roles.
not good
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester18 July 2018
not good mangers are a jobs worth not enough work to last through out the day line managers are not great to get on with not the best of money either for what you have to do
Fascinating work experience
BBC Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire10 July 2018
I remember being hugely captivated by the experience of getting involved, first hand, with the media world. It really changed my outlook for my career, and made me realise that the creative and entertainment industries are something in which I have the potential to really thrive.
Depends who you work with.
Digital Media (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2018
Some teams place personality is placed above skill and ability. While some people are totally brilliant, others are not so good you will be superseded very quickly by those that are very good at coasting on others ideas and efforts and making sure they are being seen.

A very fixed mindset from the people who claim to be creative.
Pros
Very talented product teams to work with and learn from.
Cons
Some team managers have a fixed mindset.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3