Battersea Dogs & Cats Home

Battersea Dogs & Cats Home Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
I volunteered at Battersea so cannot comment on salary issues.
The best thing about working there was helping the animals and working with a kind, caring group of people who all pulled together.
I worked for a great team and my managers respected me. Every body who worked there had passion for their work and it was a lovely environment. I managed my own time and my day consisted of working with volunteers to get animals out on foster
As a volunteer, they make me feel like part of the company and keep me motivated. They offer a series of workshops and training very valuable to me. The hardest part of the job is to see the abandon dogs suffer, but when I look at those dogs recover and being adopted by a lovely family, it is all worth it.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Having to see some dogs coming in a pretty bad shape.
Trained with sole purpose to work at the world renowned Battersea dogs and cats welfare rehoming rescue. Within 3 months I realised very idealistic.
As a nurse you once/ twice a week assist in such amazing healthy dogs and cats deemed " unsuitable for rehoming" the staff who sign these poor animals to death won't discuss their decision and on some occasions not even met that animal as put their name to this decision based on other unqualified staff

Environment is coercive and bullying from management/ senior staff.

Very restricted regarding exercising your nursing skills. Any animal requiring any intensive mediczl/ treatment is usually euthanized as deemed not rehomeable!

Stuck there for 8 years as couldn't leave the animals and felt worked in an abbatoir bring led by unqualified clueless management.

If you jump when they say and don't ask questions then sure it'll suit you... I trained to help not kill animals.

Become quite deskilled as so limited...
Pros
Working with the aninals
Cons
Management/ department interfering in your delivery of care!
Great place to work, Experienced lots of new things and it encouraged me to go on and study for a degree. Very satisfying job really felt that I have given something back.
Pros
Motivating
Cons
Wanted to take all the cats and dogs home
I completely stand by this amazing charity and it's values. The amazing people work so hard to give the lovely fur babies the best new beginning possible.
Amazing care for all animals that come in big and small. All staff work fantastic together and all aiming for the same goal for the animals in their care. The tasks given are not something that can't be done and they are more than happy to help or adjust for any individual. Easy to get to to transportation wise and nice that they can accommodate me for transport too. Lovely site and buildings are either refurbished or brand new. Everything has the animals in mind which is lovely and important. Cafe is nice and the food is good. Everyone is friendly and no on is left to feel like an outsider.
Pros
Caring for the animals
Cons
Busy road outside the cattery which sometimes upsets the cats.
Talking the dogs out three times a day
Grooming them

Feeding the animals

Building up their confidence

As aswell mine

And helping vulnerable animals
Pros
I love dogs
Cons
The hair on my clothes
Amazing place to work at in respect of its history and everyone knows Battersea but behind the scenes teams all have their own agenda so there is no working together for one common purpose which is frustrating. Little or no support from director level. Office based staff are detached from the animals.
Pros
Working for a well known charity.
Cons
No London weighting unlike other animal charities.
Having worked here for over 5 years I was repeatedly told they could never spare me in order for me to have any training or shadow other departments.
I absolutely loved working with the animals which is why I stayed for so long, but eventually the low salary combined with no other step ups meant I had to leave.

This place could be amazing with better management and a serious development program for kennel staff. If you just want a job paid under 19k where you get to be with animals everyday this is perfect, however if you want a career and progression then this is not the place for you.
Pros
Everyone has passion for the cause, get to save animals, uniform provided
Cons
Long hours, physically demanding, no development
Battersea Dogs and Cats Home is the best place I've ever worked at. I always felt supported and cared for at the home, the management is incredible and they really do go out of their way to support you as best they can.

I learnt a great deal about the home and was able to develop in my role working in the kennels. There was always such a great sense of job satisfaction when the work you do makes a difference in a dog's life.

I would recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Amazing support from management, great working environment and an all round rewarding experience.
Cons
Having to see some of the abuse that these poor animals go through, but that is why we do this kind of job.
Battersea is a great place to feel supported and make a bunch of friends for life, whilst the job can be stressful and upsetting due to the nature of the role - you always feel supported by your colleagues.
I have worked for Battersea Dogs & Cats Home both on a voluntary basis and employed basis and love the ethos of the home, the care, compassion, dedication that is shown by all staff and volunteers to help provide the best environment for the animals during their stay at the Home... through difficult and stressful times for the animals but wach and every person doing their utmost to make the animals stay at the home as near to normal as possible until their forever home is found..
This place is very well known so is a very busy work environment, there is a large amount of animals and staff and you learn true dedication with the animals.
Pros
Health care plan, great pension
Cons
Working weekends, hard work