Bath Spa University Employee Reviews

A village like feel and beautiful grounds
Facilites & Services Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newton Park Campus Bath2 September 2019
Managing day to day cleaning of all academic and residential buildings with several teams and shifts.
Managing to provide different levels of service to clients and conference delegates. The workplace culture is friendly with everyone trying their best to meet demands. I enjoyed the relationships I had with my teams and working through difficult times with humour.
Great work place.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset13 June 2019
Working with a great team and great inspiring environment for prospective students.
I have learned great team working skills and confidence with large tours and public speaking.
I have also learned how to work together with a team effectively dealing with challenges and making the day run smoothly.
Thoroughly enjoyed learning and growing and achieving more personally and also as a team. I Enjoy seeing prospective students on there journey to education and to help be apart of that .
Professional but fun
Assistant in the marketing department (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset1 May 2019
Typical 9-5 in which the team helped one another to complete tasks with a fun but serious workplace atmosphere. Relaxed on task completion as long as it was up to scratch.
a good university
Student (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset9 April 2019
This is a great university to study at. The staff are really helpful and the campus is beautiful. There are many services across the university, which all students to take advantage of.
laid back workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bath7 April 2019
Enjoyed meeting new people and gaining more confidence by doing tours and talks. Great place to work when you live on campus and 0 hour contract made it perfect and flexible to work when you can do shifts.
Pros
0 hours contract and free lunch
Cons
Not always alots of work going
Productive & Creative Workplace
Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Bath1 April 2019
Great working environment with well mannered employees and staff. Workplace culture was productive and provided a great platform for creativity. Highly recommend.
Fun place to work
Facilities and Services Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bath11 March 2019
Working at BSU is fun because everyday is different and challenging. It is a good place to work with good benefits also. There is a variety if places you can work an a lot of friendly people.
Fantastic employer
Commons Library Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset14 November 2018
Bath Spa is an excellent employer - I should know because I had two jobs there. I was a Student Ambassador helping out with open days, and I was a Library Assistant helping out with general student enquiries.
Good part time role to enhance employability
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset13 September 2018
I took the jobs around campus to both get more working experience and to add to the links in my university community. the time requirement did not interfere with my studies and revolved mostly around open days where i would take groups of parents and their children around the campus and course facilities to introduce them to the potential environment and content.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
few hours
Enjoyable employment
Housing Representative (Former Employee) –  Bath6 September 2018
This casual employment involved an 8 hour shift, answering questions from prospective students and their families. I also took part in Education panels, panels about university life in general and took part in smaller workshops.
The pay was excellent and having our lunch paid for was another bonus.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not regular employment
Productive workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset17 May 2018
A typical day at work involves helping students, packing goody bags for future students visiting uni, giving campus and accommodation tours, answering questions and directing people to their correct locations. A lot of waiting around sometimes, worse in the winter because of cold weather etc, but overall it’s a fun experience and I leave feeling like I’ve achieved something.
Pros
30min lunch break if work 6+ hours, great pay
Cons
Sometimes hours pass by when you’re not going anything
Creative and friendly workplace
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Bath4 January 2018
Daily meetings with my mentees included answering any questions they had about their university experience. This could range from how to find certain books in the library, to discussing specific pieces of texts linked to the modules they had taken in English Literature. I particularly enjoyed being able to offer my knowledge on how to structure essays, and encouraging students to bring new ideas to the forefront of their arguments.
I found that original, solid arguments in essays helped students achieve the higher grades, and I therefore assisted students in shaping their essays, presentations and reports into cohesive and strong pieces of work.
Whilst being a mentor, I realised that every student was individual and thus worked in different ways. I found some students preferred to plan each paragraph of their essays, however others decided to just write freely and then edit their work afterwards. This truly allowed me to acknowledge and accept the originality of my students and I planned my sessions according to their needs.
Throughout the experience, I met with my supervisor once a month to talk about the progression of my students and listened to any advice they offered me. I was always open to suggestions of how to improve my sessions with my students. Both me and my mentees found this advice helpful.
The hardest part about this experience was managing my own studies, alongside my social life. At this stage in my university experience, I played for both Bath Spa's netball and american football teams. Although it was a struggle at times, through mentoring, I learnt
  more... how to balance a job, education and sport. This set me up for life after university, as I was now good at managing my own time.  less
Pros
helped to make a difference
Cons
some students were unreliable and did not show up to sessions
Fun place to study
Student of Religion, Philosophy and Ethics (Former Employee) –  Bath4 October 2017
I was a student of Religion, Philosophy and Ethics at the university for one year . The campus was clean and vibrant. The tutors were some of the most caring people I have ever met
Pros
Caring tutors
Cons
Not enough sporting opportunities
Fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset10 September 2017
Working for the University was the perfect job for me in First year when i was settling in. The pay per hour was great and the experience gained was amazing - Really helped me settle in.
It pays the bills
Technician (Current Employee) –  Bath8 May 2017
Very little direction given, left to make myself look busy for much of my time, Senior management is very detached from reality, and the car park fills up really quickly during term time and you will get a parking ticket if you are not parked in the right place or displaying a ticket.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
very little to actually do during the day
One of the leading Universities in Music Composition
Part-time Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset8 April 2017
Bath Spa is currently one of the leading universities in music composition. There is a fantastic community forming up, which makes it a very exciting place to work.
Lovely Place to work and gain experience
Archive Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bath, UK1 March 2017
I have been volunteering at Bath Spa academic archives on a part time basis, working independently for approximately six hours a week.
I have primarily been working on the religious section of the archives, The Bath Archive of Contemporary Religious Affairs. Involving collecting sources from many different places, Organising and filing these sources and proceeding to cataloguing them for future reference. I have been able to learn a great deal about archiving and its processes from this experience, continually building my knowledge and skills.
This has been an invaluable experience to carry out course assignments whilst completing my MA in Archive Administration.
I have learnt a great deal about not only archiving but also about managing myself and working on projects both individually and as a team. All this done on the most scenic and beautiful campus.
Pros
Great Staff keen to help people grow
Cons
Voluntary Position
Bath Spa
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Bath11 December 2016
Working at open days, answering questions about University life and addressing all parent and/or student concerns. I also gave an insight into the psychology curriculum at the university as well as carrying out campus tours.

Loved helping people in making their right choice
Great
Management (Current Employee) –  Bath13 November 2016
a great place to work with an amazing team to support your decisions.

Not always the easiest job to attend to but a great sense of job satisfaction at the end of each shift.
Motivating, busy and stimulating environment
Gym Instructor/Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Newton Park Campus5 June 2016
my duties included, designing exercise programmes, designing diet plans, delivering inductions, teaching techniques, measuring body compositions, and cleaning and tidying the gym. From this job I learned that everybody is different and hence each person needs treating slightly different, especially in the fitness industry and in conjunction with this I learned how to deal with different people because not everybody whom I worked with was easy to train.

Management in this job I felt was quite lenient, although sometimes I wish they would have been more stringent on times. The hardest part of the job was dealing with those clients who were uncooperative and never really seemed completely motivated, and contrastingly the most enjoyable part of the job was when clients came enthused and ready to exercise.
Pros
Work shifts were fitted around my university timetable
Cons
Lenient on start times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bath Spa University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3