Bath & North East Somerset Council

Bath & North East Somerset Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
Recommended
Recommended. Flexi-time. Training providing to enhance performance. Staff benefits to include discounted gym, staff discounts, on site coffee shop. New building.
Pros
flexitime
Cons
lack of opportunity
Very high expectations which lead to managers being pitted against each other
Thought working for the council was a job for life. Unfortunately this wasn't the case due to many restructures and poor job selection and moving managers about into positions they were not experienced in
Quiet hot desk office atmosphere
Not many opportunities to progress in my experience at Bath and North East Somerset Council. Difficult to fit in as a young working class person. The job was great on paper but everything surrounding was not for me.
Welcoming and Productive work place.
I started off working as an apprentice Civil Engineer for BANES with a 2-year temporary contract. day to day tasks would include site visits, drafting cad designs and moving through teams to learn the basics off how they all work together.

The only issue with my experience at BANES is the unknown of the what is going to happen at the end of my apprenticeship, not being guaranteed of further employment or another position that I'm going to be able to go into.

The council is currently in a pretty dire situation at the minute with lots of cuts being made and targets that need to be met. They intend to make lots more people redundant in the future, after already making people redundant in prior months.
Pros
Friendly workforce
Cons
unknown future within organisation.
Very supportive workplaces
The Council is a very supportive workforce and they are respectful kind, they encourage a diverse and adapative workforce. I recommend the Council as a workplace.
Working for a local council
Working for the Historic Environment team was very interesting, but was intensely time pressured. Some colleagues were helpful, others less so. On the whole I enjoyed it.
It's a fantastic place you enjoy places you never been before get on with staff you lean new ways as how to do recycling the staff in keynsham it's not hard how to sort recycling box's out meeting new people every day
Pros
Have few take away places
Cons
Half-price MOT
fun workplace
Great environment with good money amazing training with the ability to work outside meeting new people and geeting fit and healthy with nice people..
Can be great
Can be great. Fantastic historical area to work in with friendly and helpful colleagues. Challenging times ahead as cutbacks continue and teams are re-organised
Workplace culture
Workplace bullying is rife! terrible management and not enough support for those who ask for it. There are too many managers and not enough staff a real shame as they are losing good staff all the time.
first work experience
I loved the responsibility of working within a public amenity as I enjoyed sharing with all age groups and physical abilities the work I was doing in the park.
Enjoyable experience
Colleagues were a pleasure to work with in a lovely office environment. Was made to feel very welcome from the first day. Productive ethos and culture
Pros
Employees and Managers
Fulfilling and educational placement.
During my time on this work placement I learnt a lot about what it is like to work in a fast paced office with a lot of customer interaction. I enjoyed my time here and would recommend.
Fun and easy-going
All staff are brilliant and lovely,very accommodating. Never left with nothing to do yet nothing is too difficult. Management is very supportive. Gained the most experience with customer services through they're encouragement.
productive
It was my first job with GIS. I was very confused at the beginning of this placement but the GIS team at the council is very helpful. They gave me a good training. After I finished the placement I felt more confident to use the Ordnance Survey maps, Utilizing the GIS standard software such as MapInfo and QGIS with more confident. Using other software for data management and managing the council Ishare website such as ISM. I being also involoved in many projects and that gave me more experience to deal with people from different background.
Pros
Excellent experience
Cons
I used to work a few hours
Rewarding, but sometimes fustrating
Designing buildings using CAD.
Managing projects using emails, telephone calls and meetings.

Attending building site to check on progress and quality of work achieved.

Managing the design team was not difficult as we shared common motivations.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with members of the public and councillors who thought their particular interests should take precidence over the main requirements of the project.

The best parts were handing over completed buildings to headteachers, and carrying out post-completion inspections when the buildings were being used by teaching staff and pupils.
Pros
Job satisfaction, job security.
Cons
accountability to the general public, especially following introduction of the Freedom of Informnation Act.
A great place to work
I felt valued by my Director and line manager and my work colleagues.

I learned to be a better Coach and Mentor in management. I also gained a better insight for Leadership in Change Management.

My co-workers were extremely supportive and valued by each other with great respect and confidence.

The hardest part of my job was challenging the criminal justice systems to focus on the victims and community/victim impact assessments.

The most enjoyable part of my job was making successful outcomes a reality and working with so many services and partners.
Pros
Bath city
In The Office
A typical day with them starts with a briefing of the day ahead.

I have learned the process taken to ensure quality packs of information. Which are vital for the people who need them.

The management was great and really relaxed. I haven't had a bad word said about me and I appreciate the professionalism shown by all the staff.

The staff were lively and very friendly. Always struggling to find me things to do because I worked at such a high rate.

Finding the extra work was the hardest part. I always worked consistently at a high rate. Keeping the consistency after day one of this was the trickiest part though.

The most enjoyable part of the internship was asking for more work. I always did my tasks on instinctively which kept my energy levels up.
i love my job and i am a very hard worker.
im always early to work, never late at all. i can walk to work as it is just down the road from where i live. buit i need a job with better prospects and more money.i have been doing catering jobs ever since i left ralph allen school when i was 15 years old. i work with the cook and no one else, there is only two of us in our kitchen. as i have said i do love what i do, but we will not be given any more hours only if the numbers for our school dinners goes up by quite alot, and by that they mean im not getting anymore hours in the near future.
Pros
it's close to where i live.
Cons
not enough hours and not enough money per hour.