Barts Health NHS Trust Employee Reviews

I enjoyed the fact that it was a rotational post so that I wasn't confined to one place of work throughout my job.
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  London, United Kingdom17 November 2019
I enjoyed working in different areas of my position as a Band 6 OT. I learnt different ways of working in the social services role and also as a community therapist. It was great that there were regular meetings and presentations to keep up to date with CPD which was highly encouraged. There was also regular supervision which really helped too.
FrontLine Clark
Maternity Administrator (Current Employee) –  London4 November 2019
Working in maternity can be stressful at times, It is one of the busiest department in the hospital. Every day someone is giving birth. Management has always changed during I have been here due to many reason, some last years and some lasted couple weeks / months. The hardest part of the job will be controlling the visitors during the job. This makes you feel like a security guard when your only a ward clark for the department.
Cons
Good opportunities for career advancement but poor training culture
Analyst (Current Employee) –  London20 October 2019
No much training development but there are opportunities for career advancements. One has to be smart to look for it.
Management is quite poor and the turnover makes difficult to build a good team. Salary expectation is also low.
Excellent
Chemotherapy Unit ( Active response role) (Current Employee) –  St. Bartholomews13 October 2019
I’ve gained plenty of experiences through training, ever since I started my work here with this company. I could comfortably say, I’ve gained knowledge.
Pros
Gaining knowledge and understanding through training.
Cons
Coming into terms with Challenges
A Challenging and rewarding from a Professional Stand point. As one of the biggest NHS Trusts in the Country you learn very quickly.
Senior Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Barking, Greater London6 October 2019
Barts is one of the Biggest NHS Trusts in the country. From a Payroll stand point very busy.

If you enjoy a fast paced job, look no further than Barts NHS Trust
Staff shortages because no one wants to work there
Locum senior Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  England26 September 2019
You are constantly under pressure due to staff shortages. Management just tell you to do what you can do but don’t help with heavy caseloads. So many procedures to escalate but not much happens. Other teams may support if they have time but they are also short so they are not to blame. There are staff that have worked there for years and want to develop their learning by going to uni or reducing their hours as they are getting older themselves but are not supported - resulting in them leaving. Management do not do much to retain staff they have which which makes working on the ground harder as the staff numbers become less and less. If you work here, specifically the elderly care department, you won’t last long. Too stressful. A colleague had a stroke and was made to come to work 5 months later or they would have deemed her as unfit to work and made her redundant.
Fast Paced
Ambulance Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newham, Greater London14 September 2019
The pay was not enough for a back breaking job I.E carry chairs, transferring bed bound patients and patients with infection.
Not even enough to get an morgage.
Toxic workplace
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 September 2019
Non-clinical (back office) functions, especially in the finance and operations management areas are dysfunctional and subject to high levels of poor management. Many colleagues have been forced to leave due to stress and poor management practices.

There is no clear corporate culture and management skills are poor, with a high turnover over middle/senior management.
An organization with a good culture
Project Intern (Current Employee) –  London27 August 2019
Barts NHS trust has a very strong culture and the management team is very supportive. They care about employee wellbeing and career opportunity. It is a good learning platform.
Pros
Good location
Overwhelming, stressful, bad ICT equipment
Patient Pathway Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Royal London Hospital10 July 2019
Limited capacity to increasingly overwhelming demand. Overworked and stressed staff only entitled to 1/2 hour break. Low morale, high staff turnover
Pros
Most colleagues are friendly, great Dr's/Nurses
Cons
Short break, high staff turnover
Review is for A&E at Royal London, not the hospitals as a whole
Senior Nurse (Former Employee) –  Royal London Accident and Emergency Department19 May 2019
A fascinating place to work...... But the management seem to often be a certain type of individual.

Training is difficult to obtain.
Breaks often missed, as not given as not enough staff and have no cover to take and when you do it leaves a detrimental environment for new staff, agency and permanent. A nurse to patient ratio can be very high.

All grades expected to work above their grade but do not get the pay or band promotion for the work they are doing.

If your get their special course it can be disorganised. Many leave once completed it, many fail it, many have degrees but the work on their self decided non university accredited course is deemed below their standards.
You get no support with training, or at work or with anything. It is very task and time orientated at All times.
Have to pay for your uniform.
No where to park.
Poor pay as standard.
Not wise to visit the cafe in the building due to taste, often inedible plus Seriously Expensive
Stock of provisions not catered for.
Hard to find important equipment
The department share one or two ecg machines
and it can take hours of your life looking for medications that you haven't got, even basic ones
Hard to find a blood pressure machine or tempanic
Life balance: the roster system means tiring excessive shift patterns.
Annual leave near impossible to take as not enough staff and always agency heavy, so more work pressure on you to do even more.
Rarely get the annual leave requested, and if you do not get to take it, you simply loose it all together.

No understanding or consideration
  more... if you have any ill health. Guilt if you take any sick leave.
Many burnt out.
Many become more and more horrid as they stay longer.....
Offended by actions of most seniors in front of whole department
Seen people leave due to no flexible working once had family

Many lovely amazing nurses and technicians leave all the time
The most positive is that the Dr's are simply wonderful and amazing and all deserve awards and pay increases. The Nurses also have amazing ones stay.....but they are often treated very poorly and in the end leave even when they don't want to

I would say avoid, but their are some great staff westill.
It also means that ANY job you go to after it will seem Wonderful and you will appreciate Anything.
Pros
Lots of work to do, always
Cons
A selection of Senior Sisters plus the stated...
management was very disapointing
Trainee Pharmacy Technician Officer (Former Employee) –  London5 April 2019
I worked at the inpatient pharmacy for a year, I met some wonderful people who I bonded with and worked perfectly as a team. I learned new things every day and got better at dispensing, labelling each working day. However the management there were very disappointing, they were not very supportive to their team and bank shifts were not paid for on time. It got very busy most days in the week but with a wonderful team we managed well even without management support.
Pros
NHS discounts
Cons
poor management
Workplace
Oracle Systems Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  London25 March 2019
Typical day included solving issues raised by customers. Liaising with them, and outside clients to resolve. I learnt how to prioritise my workload, and work as part of a team.
Would not recommend
Senior Clinical Trial Practitioner (Former Employee) –  St. Bartholomews20 March 2019
Very poor working environment, and management are unable to control or handle the work load and the staff turn over is the highest I have ever come across and that speaks volumes about the work place. Bullying is a common occurrence here and issues are not dealt with and lastly, unqualified staff working with patients is a huge danger.
Fun place to work
Data Manager (Former Employee) –  London6 March 2019
Really loved the London lifestyle, everyone was very friendly and we would regularly go for drinks after work. Not a massive amount of support in terms of personal development
Pros
Positive lifestyle
Cons
Lack of development
Productive and Insightful
Volunteer Staff (Former Employee) –  London4 March 2019
I gained valuable experience and learnt how to communicate effectively with patients and other staff members. Managing my time was challenging, but I was able to overcome this by planning my days in the beginning of the week using a planner.
strained work environemnt
matron (Former Employee) –  ECAT23 February 2019
due to financial pressure the trust is a strained enviornment to work in. lack of vision in current managers to take risk in developing new roles that will likely save the trust money in the future
fun work place
Appointments Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 February 2019
day to day answering phone calls and rebooking appointments.Learned how to use NHS programmes such as the CRS system. The Management were very helpful and always were there when needed. the culture of the work place was a bit of there were more girls over boys. the hardest part of the job was to answer more than 70 calls per day and be patient. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the satisfaction of helping the patients needs.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
too many calls
Varied and interesting work with supportive colleagues
Senior Therapy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chingford7 January 2019
Job involved supporting occupational therapists and physiotherapists with their case load.

Supported clients in their home environment following illnesses/conditions such as strokes, depression and falls. Work involved facilitating occupational performance by for example providing equipment or aids, practise mobility and transfer techniques or different strength exercises.

Assisted physiotherapist with running weekly balance group with clients having had falls or were at risk at falls.
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
Far from home
Good work culture.
Emergency Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  London17 December 2018
I have always worked at this hospital .Great hospital and culture.If you want to learn then this is the place to be.

Once you been a Royal Londoner you will always be a Royal Londoner

*******
Pros
Education
Cons
Can be busy