Barts Health NHS Trust
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Barts Health NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom92 reviews
You can get valuable experience from working at Barts if you have the drive and the right amount of exposure. You must get yourself noticed by the right people ..
I have been working at barts health for 17years ,I have applied for several mamagerial jobs withing the trust ,I was not successful as they have someone in mind in most cases .
Pros
job security
Cons
Lack of career inhancement opportunities
It's a brilliant organisation to work if you are a clinical professional. However, to work in the administrative and managerial sector it presents unnecessary challenges of discrimination. Your overall growth is dependent on who you know instead of one's talent and ability to perform.
It is very difficult for ethnic minorities to progress. Lots of lip service, discrimination and no will to change. Some senior managers / directors treat the organisation like their own personal club, behave shamefully and this is not addressed The work itself is challenging but doable. There is no flexibility in many admin roles more about bums on seats for many.
Staff not replaced, work load given to staff already in place, no pay rise, just more work. Too many bosses, expect their work to take priority even though you are making priorities in your workload.
Barts Health NHS Trsut was a great place to work. Though fast paced and sometime stressful, but the people and colleagues were truly wonderful to work with.
Fast paced but great for learning opportunities. Great teams of people to work with. Great pockets of initiatives that encourage you to work well for the good of the patients
I had done some research of the hospital and was able to showcase similar experience and keenness to work in that particular department., although it was the first time in Outpatients. I had telephone experience with patients as well as the computer system at Barts Health which contributed to my success in being chosen for the position
which probably helped
I really enjoy my job. I’ve worked for Barts Health for nearly 14yrs...
Time for a change...

We all work very well as a team and I trust my colleagues. I run an under 21yrs Contraception and GU service and other clinics across different sites throughout the week. I also work within termination of pregnancy service which can be very rewarding.

My contraception skills have increased greatly. I can insert IUDs and contraceptive implants as well as supplying all other methods of contraception. I really enjoy running the contraception clinics...

I became an Independent Nurse Prescriber a few years ago which has given me great flexibility when prescribing, especially working within our peripheral clinics.

I have been encouraged by my manager to increase my skills/ qualifications and Barts Health paid for my continuing education.

The hardest part of the job is coping with the increased demand on GU and Contraception services across London. Staff that have left, have not always been replaced and their work load has been distributed amongst the remaining staff. Stress levels are very high and increasing daily.

The best part of my job are the people I work with and the majority of our patients are very happy with the service we provide. Most of my colleagues are very dedicated, hard working, thoughtful ,caring people and I’m very proud to be part of the team.

My role at Barts Health has been varied, progressive and very interesting. I have honestly enjoyed my time within this organisation and I’ve learnt so much....
working on a aute surgial ward
Great team work and support within the ward, this is a steady pace ward with a varity of surgical tehniques and skills to learn.
Pros
team work
Cons
shift patterns
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Barts Health NHS Trust?
Barts health is one of the best hospital where patients are priority they comes first at all times.
A've learn to work as part of a team

Management is good ensuring patients care and safety is a priority.

I have learned to work as part of a team delivering high standard of care to patients, hardest part of the job is when there is a short of staff
I enjoyed working in different areas of my position as a Band 6 OT. I learnt different ways of working in the social services role and also as a community therapist. It was great that there were regular meetings and presentations to keep up to date with CPD which was highly encouraged. There was also regular supervision which really helped too.
Working in maternity can be stressful at times, It is one of the busiest department in the hospital. Every day someone is giving birth. Management has always changed during I have been here due to many reason, some last years and some lasted couple weeks / months. The hardest part of the job will be controlling the visitors during the job. This makes you feel like a security guard when your only a ward clark for the department.
Cons
No much training development but there are opportunities for career advancements. One has to be smart to look for it.
Management is quite poor and the turnover makes difficult to build a good team. Salary expectation is also low.
I’ve gained plenty of experiences through training, ever since I started my work here with this company. I could comfortably say, I’ve gained knowledge.
Pros
Gaining knowledge and understanding through training.
Cons
Coming into terms with Challenges
Barts is one of the Biggest NHS Trusts in the country. From a Payroll stand point very busy.

If you enjoy a fast paced job, look no further than Barts NHS Trust
You are constantly under pressure due to staff shortages. Management just tell you to do what you can do but don’t help with heavy caseloads. So many procedures to escalate but not much happens. Other teams may support if they have time but they are also short so they are not to blame. There are staff that have worked there for years and want to develop their learning by going to uni or reducing their hours as they are getting older themselves but are not supported - resulting in them leaving. Management do not do much to retain staff they have which which makes working on the ground harder as the staff numbers become less and less. If you work here, specifically the elderly care department, you won’t last long. Too stressful. A colleague had a stroke and was made to come to work 5 months later or they would have deemed her as unfit to work and made her redundant.
The pay was not enough for a back breaking job I.E carry chairs, transferring bed bound patients and patients with infection.
Not even enough to get an morgage.
Non-clinical (back office) functions, especially in the finance and operations management areas are dysfunctional and subject to high levels of poor management. Many colleagues have been forced to leave due to stress and poor management practices.

There is no clear corporate culture and management skills are poor, with a high turnover over middle/senior management.
Barts NHS trust has a very strong culture and the management team is very supportive. They care about employee wellbeing and career opportunity. It is a good learning platform.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Limited capacity to increasingly overwhelming demand. Overworked and stressed staff only entitled to 1/2 hour break. Low morale, high staff turnover
Pros
Most colleagues are friendly, great Dr's/Nurses
Cons
Short break, high staff turnover
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barts Health NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
Barts Health NHS Trust Reviews by Location